Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Anderson get another 4 years?

Started by billmontgomery10, January 17, 2015, 11:18:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2015, 12:24:52 am
then why are we wasting money on a practice facility?
At least it eliminates an excuse/possible reason for any recruiting issues. 

Bell
Clarke
Qualls
Wagner
Williams

Portis
Kingsley

Babb
Beard
Thompson
Durham

Harris
Miles
Watkins

14 players all his whether recruited or accepted transfer.  Has not having a practice facility hurt?  Maybe.  Could staff changes help?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2015, 12:32:45 am
because our head coaches job status, is not based on high expectations. so, he does not need one
Will you just stop it. everyone wants the Hogs to win. Mike wants to win. we all want to win. and we will win. but it takes time. some day you are going to thank Jeff Long for giving Mike 6 pr 7 years.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Showtimehog on January 18, 2015, 12:31:50 am
Why should we willingly put ourselves at a recruiting disadvantage by NOT having one?
Both answers are correct. Yes, we need one because it removes a recruiting ploy that others may want to use. But also yes, it IS an excuse. Always not mentioned is that we play in the finest on-campus arena in the SEC. So overall, our facilities are fine.

Can't help mentioning that the baseball program has made the NCAAs 12 years in a row, yet only recently got a new indoor practice facility to help with the cold weather. They produced results FIRST, then was rewarded with more help. Van Horn wasn't making excuses, he's been producing results all along. Which is why I switched my contribution to baseball years ago; they have proven deserving of my support. Unlike basketball, where excuses abound.

WilsonHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:37:07 am
Will you just stop it. everyone wants the Hogs to win. Mike wants to win. we all want to win. and we will win. but it takes time. some day you are going to thank Jeff Long for giving Mike 6 pr 7 years.

When Mike was hired, did you think Long would have to give him 6-7 years?

hawgrunner

Quote from: bpoecell on January 17, 2015, 11:24:22 pm
Everyone knows it takes eight years to build a basketball program.

Really?? 8?

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 18, 2015, 12:36:31 am
At least it eliminates an excuse/possible reason for any recruiting issues. 

Bell
Clarke
Qualls
Wagner
Williams

Portis
Kingsley

Babb
Beard
Thompson
Durham

Harris
Miles
Watkins

14 players all his whether recruited or accepted transfer.  Has not having a practice facility hurt?  Maybe.  Could staff changes help?

i am basing it on, expectations & job status.

if those bars are low, then we can stay where we are without spending the money on one.

side note, i don't think his recruiting will change with it, just looking at track record.

he has a track record, for some reason, lots of fans thinks he is going to rise above is track record, i don't. he is want he is.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

forrest city joe

Quote from: Jimmy on January 18, 2015, 12:33:06 am
Me neither. 
So you guys are dropping support because you don't like the coach? our players deserve better. what about our players?

userpick

It's all about money. If asses ain't in the seats, Anderson be gone!

forrest city joe

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 18, 2015, 12:39:06 am
When Mike was hired, did you think Long would have to give him 6-7 years?
No. i thought 5. but now im thinking 6 or 7. and i will be happy he is giving him that time. i am liking Jeff Long more and more these days.

forrest city joe

Quote from: userpick on January 18, 2015, 12:40:48 am
It's all about money. If asses ain't in the seats, Anderson be gone!
Mike will win enough games so people will come. you people need to get a grip.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:41:50 am
No. i thought 5. but now im thinking 6 or 7. and i will be happy he is giving him that time. i am liking Jeff Long more and more these days.

you will give him a lifetime.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:40:21 am
So you guys are dropping support because you don't like the coach? our players deserve better. what about our players?
I do agree that if Mike makes the Dance this year, there is no jeopardy. Will that be fantastic in and of itself? No. But he will be safe.
Personally, I think Stan, John, and Mike should all the same. If they cut ties with Stan and Pel after four years, then Mike should be treated the same. I do agree Mike's long tenure here probably gives him a little more advantage than those guys, and that's probably fair, but it should be a very slight advantage. Nostalgia doesn't count for THAT much. Produce the desired results, or we'll try with someone else.
I like Mike quite a bit. He's classy and represents the UA well. But I really don't get the man-love he gets from some.
These guys make millions of dollars. They get paid well even when fired. It's ok. They know the business.

userpick

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:44:00 am
Mike will win enough games so people will come. you people need to get a grip.

After we lose a few more games there will be 6,500 strong in the stands. Face the facts, Joe. Your man isnt who you think he is.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:41:50 am
Yes, the same Jeff Long you wanted to crucify last year for 'killing' the football program.
The moment he gives Mike a little something, you change your tune in a heartbeat.
Unreal. Go Arkansas Mike-r-backs!

Kevin

Quote from: userpick on January 18, 2015, 12:49:47 am
After we lose a few more games there will be 6,500 strong in the stands. Face the facts, Joe. Your man isnt who you think he is.

he is exactly who he thinks he is

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: userpick on January 18, 2015, 12:49:47 am
6,500 was the average attendance in the non-conf.
Actually attendance was what got Stan Heath in trouble. People just weren't that excited.
Again, not sure why Mike and Stan shouldn't be viewed the same.

Kevin

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 18, 2015, 12:52:08 am
Actually attendance was what got Stan Heath in trouble. People just weren't that excited.

1994, that's why

forrest city joe

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 18, 2015, 12:52:08 am
Because they are not the same. Mike is a proven winner. Stan is now unemployed as a basketball coach.there is a reason for that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2015, 12:52:43 am
1994, that's why
1994 has nothing to do with this.Jeff Long is supporting Mike becausehe likes how he is building the program on and off the court. getting better every year.

userpick

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:58:30 am
1994 has nothing to do with this.Jeff Long is supporting Mike becausehe likes how he is building the program on and off the court. getting better every year.

Yep, we're on track to win an NCAA tournament game in 2026. Just hang in there guys.

forrest city joe

Quote from: userpick on January 18, 2015, 01:00:43 am
Yep, we're on track to win an NCAA tournament game in 2026. Just hang in there guys.
We will be in the dance this year, so we may win one this year. THE SEASON IS NOT OVER. step back from the ledge.

userpick

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 01:02:33 am
We will be in the dance this year, so we may win one this year. THE SEASON IS NOT OVER. step back from the ledge.

Are you looking for a good investment? I've got an oceanfront view condo just south of Warren I can sell you. I'll give you a good price since you're a Hogvillian.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:56:21 am
Because they are not the same. Mike is a proven winner. Stan is now unemployed as a basketball coach.there is a reason for that.
I agree with that. Mike got UAB in the Dance, and Mizzou in the Elite 8.
(Stan is by far the better recruiter, though.)
Which makes it all the more baffling why he's struggling so much here. This is not a brutal league. This is a historically better program than either of those places. Mike said himself he's surprised to not be in the dance in year 3. Don't give me all the APR excuse nonsense, either. It was ONE scholarship, and let's not kid ourselves. I doubt the 1994 team was making all A's...fact is, we don't care. We want them to do ok and stay out of the papers, and win on the court. People act like we were coming off an SMU-like death penalty or something. Excuses are everywhere.
I just have never felt Mike is in Eddie or Nolan's league. Well, a lot of people aren't. But that's my standard, and I absolutely do not apologize for it. My expectations are pretty high for Hog basketball. Even when he was hired, that was my thought. Pretty good, but not great. And he's never been a great recruiter either, not even Stan Heath good, so there's another problem. So it was a lukewarm response on hiring day and has actually gone downhill a little bit.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 01:02:33 am
I agree it's not over. It will not surprise me at all if we're dancing. 
It will also not change my opinion that we're struggling too much and I don't like the big picture I'm seeing.
It will also not change the fact that these struggles and constant ups and downs and baffling play is driving me crazy.
I try to stay on the big picture. I have no doubt we will beat somebody soon, or go on a roll, and everybody will be crowing. Will not be surprised at all.
But I just back to last year. 2-6, reel off six in a row, win at Rupp. If ever we turned the corner, that was it. Then get embarrassed at Bama, and lose to S Car. NIT here we come.
I'm seeing too many patterns and am not sure there will ever be a turn-corner moment for good.

donbro

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on January 18, 2015, 12:53:57 am
Does Anderson get 4 more? Why not, Obama did.
Economy is booming, gas is down ,GDP growth, unemployment is down what a horrible job Obama did

discombobulationist

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2015, 11:34:01 pm
Mike will be here a long time. and he will get the job done. glade Jeff Long gave him that extension.he gets 6 or 7 years in my opinion. and i would be very happy if he got that much time. so stop it.

What in the world has he done to earn another 3 or 4 years in your opinion? He certainly hasn't done anything on a basketball court to merit that. We are getting whooped by teams that have no business whooping us. And this is the best team that Mike has fielded so far??? And we're going to lose our best players before next season? What has he done to earn his money? The guy is failing miserably at this point, there is no way to sugarcoat it.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: userpick on January 18, 2015, 01:05:44 am
Are you looking for a good investment? I've got an oceanfront view condo just south of Warren I can sell you. I'll give you a good price since you're a Hogvillian.

Does a surfing practice facility come with it?  Gotta have one of those you know.     :)

Jeffcphog

I really don't care any longer.  I am tired of holding onto hope.  Will never catch lighting in a bottle like we did in the 90's.  We have spent too much money over the last 15 year and have nothing to show for it.

3kgthog

So, Bielema, in year 2 of a rebuild worse than what Mike walked into, makes and wins a bowl game. Mike, in year 4, might not make the NCAAT with a roster of his players while playing in the 4th or 5th best basketball conference. Mike has to recruit and field a team featuring nearly 7x fewer players! Countries have been formed and fortunes squandered in less time!

Get your NIT plans made now, boys.

Pork Twain

I am very surprised at our progress so far.  Surprised and disappointed.  There is still time to turn it around this year.  Next year is going to be rough, because we losing the core of our team
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Randy Johnson

Most certainly he gets more time and money. It may not be happening fast enough for some but it is happening. Some things have been said in frustration here by some posters that are not true. I think the loss was the 8th loss for Coach A as our head coach at home. He wins 90% at Bud!

Over his 12 seasons as a head coach, Anderson has compiled a 272-140 record, eight 20-win campaigns, six NCAA Tournament appearances, two Sweet 16 berths and a run to the 2009 Elite Eight. Anderson is one of just nine current Division I head coaches with 10+ years of experience and no losing seasons.

Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. Over the last three years, Arkansas has won 51 games at Bud Walton Arena, the most over any three-year span in the arena's 20-year history. Each of Anderson's teams have won a program record 17 home games, while the 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on and off the court has translated into fan support, as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance all three years.

In 2013-14, the Razorbacks returned to the postseason for the first time since 2008, by earning a spot in the NIT. Improving its SEC Tournament seeding by two spots for the second straight year under Anderson, Arkansas finished fifth in the league standings at 10-8 while reaching the 20-win plateau (22-12) for the first time since the aforementioned 2007-08 campaign. Highlighting the 22-win season was the program's first-ever season sweep of SEC rival Kentucky and a 5-1 mark against teams that advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament and NIT.

The Arkansas faithful saw signs of the Coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas' improvement in 2013-14, as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors as a freshman, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

The influence of "The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball" has been obvious in Anderson's three years back in Fayetteville, as the Razorbacks finished in the top five in turnover margin and top 20 in steals each of the last two seasons. Arkansas ranked in the top 40 of six different statistical categories in 2012-13, and bested that by finishing as the only BCS team in the top 30 nationally in scoring (16th), assists (28th), steals (12th), blocks and turnover margin in 2013-14.

On January 6, 2015, it was announced that Anderson had signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him with Arkansas until 2020.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: RazorWorld on January 18, 2015, 05:38:33 am
Most certainly he gets more time and money. It may not be happening fast enough for some but it is happening. Some things have been said in frustration here by some posters that are not true. I think the loss was the 8th loss for Coach A as our head coach at home. He wins 90% at Bud!

Over his 12 seasons as a head coach, Anderson has compiled a 272-140 record, eight 20-win campaigns, six NCAA Tournament appearances, two Sweet 16 berths and a run to the 2009 Elite Eight. Anderson is one of just nine current Division I head coaches with 10+ years of experience and no losing seasons.

Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. Over the last three years, Arkansas has won 51 games at Bud Walton Arena, the most over any three-year span in the arena's 20-year history. Each of Anderson's teams have won a program record 17 home games, while the 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on and off the court has translated into fan support, as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance all three years.

In 2013-14, the Razorbacks returned to the postseason for the first time since 2008, by earning a spot in the NIT. Improving its SEC Tournament seeding by two spots for the second straight year under Anderson, Arkansas finished fifth in the league standings at 10-8 while reaching the 20-win plateau (22-12) for the first time since the aforementioned 2007-08 campaign. Highlighting the 22-win season was the program's first-ever season sweep of SEC rival Kentucky and a 5-1 mark against teams that advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament and NIT.

The Arkansas faithful saw signs of the Coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas' improvement in 2013-14, as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors as a freshman, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

The influence of "The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball" has been obvious in Anderson's three years back in Fayetteville, as the Razorbacks finished in the top five in turnover margin and top 20 in steals each of the last two seasons. Arkansas ranked in the top 40 of six different statistical categories in 2012-13, and bested that by finishing as the only BCS team in the top 30 nationally in scoring (16th), assists (28th), steals (12th), blocks and turnover margin in 2013-14.

On January 6, 2015, it was announced that Anderson had signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him with Arkansas until 2020.

Didn't we get a participation ribbon too?  Thought I read that in some other article.

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: donbro on January 18, 2015, 01:34:13 am
Economy is booming, gas is down ,GDP growth, unemployment is down what a horrible job Obama did

I see what you did there, Slick Willy.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Pork Twain

Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. Over the last three years, Arkansas has won 51 games at Bud Walton Arena, the most over any three-year span in the arena’s 20-year history. Each of Anderson’s teams have won a program record 17 home games, while the 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on and off the court has translated into fan support, as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance all three years.

In 2013-14, the Razorbacks returned to the postseason for the first time since 2008, by earning a spot in the NIT. Improving its SEC Tournament seeding by two spots for the second straight year under Anderson, Arkansas finished fifth in the league standings at 10-8 while reaching the 20-win plateau (22-12) for the first time since the aforementioned 2007-08 campaign. Highlighting the 22-win season was the program’s first-ever season sweep of SEC rival Kentucky and a 5-1 mark against teams that advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament and NIT.

The Arkansas faithful saw signs of the Coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas’ improvement in 2013-14, as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors as a freshman, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

The influence of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has been obvious in Anderson’s three years back in Fayetteville, as the Razorbacks finished in the top five in turnover margin and top 20 in steals each of the last two seasons. Arkansas ranked in the top 40 of six different statistical categories in 2012-13, and bested that by finishing as the only BCS team in the top 30 nationally in scoring (16th), assists (28th), steals (12th), blocks and turnover margin in 2013-14.

Now I know what a professor must think when they read a paper that was obviously plagiarized.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2015, 06:09:36 am
Now I know what a professor must think when they read a paper that was obviously plagiarized.

LOL  My thought exactly.  +1

bpoecell

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:14:31 am
Stop it, just stop it. we lost ba at home, and some of you people are just going crazy.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Just a conference loss to an unranked team at home.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on January 17, 2015, 11:22:53 pm
he gets as long as he wants.

remember, he has cleaned up the academic performance of the team

At some point though there is an expectation of wins no matter where and who you are. At some places those expectations on number of wins are even higher than at others. Give him two more years with recruiting to our new practice facility and then if no better or still so inconsistent I'm not going to support him as I have.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

snortman

Anderson has also re-established Bud Walton Arena as one of the toughest places to play and brought excitement back to the tradition-rich program. Over the last three years, Arkansas has won 51 games at Bud Walton Arena, the most over any three-year span in the arena’s 20-year history. Each of Anderson’s teams have won a program record 17 home games, while the 2012-13 squad posted just the third unbeaten SEC home record (9-0) in program history and the first since 1998. The success on and off the court has translated into fan support, as Arkansas returned to the top 25 in national attendance all three years.

In 2013-14, the Razorbacks returned to the postseason for the first time since 2008, by earning a spot in the NIT. Improving its SEC Tournament seeding by two spots for the second straight year under Anderson, Arkansas finished fifth in the league standings at 10-8 while reaching the 20-win plateau (22-12) for the first time since the aforementioned 2007-08 campaign. Highlighting the 22-win season was the program’s first-ever season sweep of SEC rival Kentucky and a 5-1 mark against teams that advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament and NIT.

The Arkansas faithful saw signs of the Coach Nolan Richardson-era style of play that Anderson teaches, as the Razorbacks led the SEC in scoring (80.1), assists (15.3), steals (8.4) and turnover margin (+5.5), figures that all ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Individual development was also critical to Arkansas’ improvement in 2013-14, as Bobby Portis became the sixth freshman in program history to earn All-SEC honors as a freshman, snagging a spot on the All-SEC second team, SEC All-Freshman squad and USBWA All-District VII team.

The influence of “The Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” has been obvious in Anderson’s three years back in Fayetteville, as the Razorbacks finished in the top five in turnover margin and top 20 in steals each of the last two seasons. Arkansas ranked in the top 40 of six different statistical categories in 2012-13, and bested that by finishing as the only BCS team in the top 30 nationally in scoring (16th), assists (28th), steals (12th), blocks and turnover margin in 2013-14.

Guess what John Fox former coach of the Denver Broncos was fired for winning his division the last three years and taking Denver to the SB last year.

Anderson has yet to even get us to the NCAA's much less come close to winning the league. Anderson should be on a very hot seat if they fail to get there this year.

Kevin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 18, 2015, 08:38:36 am
At some point though there is an expectation of wins no matter where and who you are. At some places those expectations on number of wins are even higher than at others. Give him two more years with recruiting to our new practice facility and then if no better or still so inconsistent I'm not going to support him as I have.

He has never recruited at a high level, the facility is not going to change that

All his best players are home grown, or he has a  family connection

raz1965

Mike has not as of yet been able to get enough talent on any one given team as of yet, however I sure hope he can win enough with what he has to buy time for that day he starts to get great talent together, when that happens and with time it will then Arkansas will be the great program it once was. Once you begin to win  then players want to play for you and players is the bottom line, players separates good coaches from great coaches, nothing more or less. Coach K has always had great talent and I seen him struggle with much more talent then we have on our team at the present time.

Changing coaches is not the right thing to do, it takes time to build a recruiting base , Mike has only had 3 recruiting years thus far at Arkansas, throw out the first and then he had to graduate the poor talent that was enrolled, Jeff Long is smart enough to make the right move and he has made one this year, fans are like back seat drivers just need to relax and enjoy the ride.

hobhog

If we don't make the tourney and Long retains him it means he doesn't care. I fear that but no different than last 15 years.....

Waste of talent and money, but whatever.

mizzouman

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:37:07 am
What I'm about to say isn't a CMA thing but it's in general. Giving a coach 6 or 7 years in this day and age, with these salaries, is borderline insanity. Like it or not, these coaches are being paid an astronomical amount of money to produce earlier than ever before.

Kevin

Unless, winning championships are not the goal, Kennedy has been at ole miss 8? Years, and one tournament appearance

cypert2

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 17, 2015, 11:29:13 pm
Let me put it another way.

Mike doesn't have to do what Nolan did.

If he wins 18-24 a year; if he gets us in the NCAA occasionally and the NIT the other years; if his kids stay out of trouble off the court and go to class, he'll be here until he decides not to be.

Why, you ask?

Because he is Mike.

He does not play by the same rules - not held to the same standards - that Heath and Pelphrey were.

I truly hope you are wrong.  I know Hog basketball has become irrelevant for a lot of Hog fans, me included. With the players he's losing this year we will be really bad the next few years. He needs to get the Monk kid in the worst way, but will be surprised if he does. Hope Hog bb fans will be happy with a long string of NIT appearances. As long as MA is here that's we have to look forward to.
Swinging on the two and the four.

racinghog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 12:25:54 am
He's wrong it does matter. he trying to raise the bar to something this team is not good enough to reach. if Mike takes this team to the sweet 16, he should be national coach of the year. he will be doing great if we just make the dance. this is a good, not great team.
Joe this is Mike's team, raising the bar is a given. It is what he was hired to do. But Kevin is correct it does not matter to Mike's employment. So chill out he will be here for as long as it takes to get to retirement. And do not fret as fewer and fewer people will care as soon as they get this, so you will not have to defend Mike as much in the future.

latrops

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 17, 2015, 11:29:13 pm
Let me put it another way.

Mike doesn't have to do what Nolan did.

If he wins 18-24 a year; if he gets us in the NCAA occasionally and the NIT the other years; if his kids stay out of trouble off the court and go to class, he'll be here until he decides not to be.

Why, you ask?

Because he is Mike.

He does not play by the same rules - not held to the same standards - that Heath and Pelphrey were.

So the more we pay the less we expect.  And it is accepted because he was an assistant last time we were really good. 

I have no idea why so many believe this.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on January 17, 2015, 11:18:36 pm
Realistically how long does he get to create a nationally relevant team. You think this year's team is mediocre, wait until next year when Portis, Qualls, Madden and Harris are gone. Not going to be pretty....

Heck no you don't give him another 4 years.  That would be like giving Nolan that big fat raise and then turning around and firing him and then paying him for all those years while he set and home drinking sweet tea enjoying the views of NWA.  CMA has done nothing yet deserving of a raise, sorry folks.  I know most it seems on here love him as our Coach, I love him as a Man that helped our basketball program for 17 or so years be a National power under Nolan.  But Nolan he is not.  I didn't won't him as our Coach, because I didn't want to see fans turning against him if things didn't turn out great for Mike as our Coach.

Mike is a good man, this is year 4, this is the best team he's going to have in awhile, he's going to more than likely lose Portis, Qualls, and we know Madden for sure being and upper classman, things go downhill from here for awhile.  If Mike doesn't reach the NCAA Tourney with this team and win a game or two, IMO things are as hot on Mikes backside you could fry an egg on it.  No raise this year, and a must win Season for next year and if not he gets his walking papers is what he'll probably get if this year no shape up quick.  Comments?

Breems

Coaches don't get fired for losing 2 bad games in a row. Performance evals are at the end of the season.

There have been rare instances where 2-3 losses did not determine the season. I believe ESPN did a 30 for 30 on one of them. If we win our next 2 home games and win @Missouri, we'll be headed back to the Sweet Sixteen, everyone who joined the "I've been apathetic since MA got here" club last night will hop back off for a bit, and there will be no head coaching discussions.

This isn't really a dumpster fire yet. The rest of our schedule is sorta favorable.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />