Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok we got beat at home tonight by a good Ole Miss team BUT

Started by forrest city joe, January 17, 2015, 10:56:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rmcchris

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2015, 10:56:22 pm
I am not giving up on my Hogs and i never Mike has ahell of a task ahead of him. but i still believe in him. he is the man to turn Arkansas basketball around. i admit that this is a bad loss at home. we have given up almost 100 points. Mike will find a way to get this defense fixed and it has to start the moment this game ends. defense lost this game. just like it did at TN. Mike has to find 5 guys who are willing to play defense.and go most of the game with them. and i believe he will do that. we have made things harder on ourselves with this bad home loss. but the season is not over. WE GAVE UP 96 POINTS HOG FANS. that's why we lost.
Joe, I want to support him as well.  But man, come on.  We can't adjust our defense and give up 51 at half and 96 for the game.  Here is how I see it.  We press full court or try to trap at half court.  We put our bigs on the front of both trap situations, full court or half court.  Teams with good guards or ball handling 3s/4s (or just so/so guards) reserve the ball to the other side, one more pass to the wing and they have their two bigs on each block.  Easy dunk, layup or if they don't pass it into their bigs, a wide open spot up three.  We are OK if teams are cold on the threes but sure not in conference play and a hot shooting Ole Miss.  But heck, surely we can correct our defense and make some in game changes?   Our offense was good enough, Portis/Qualls did their jobs.  Bench was not very good and cold from 3 (Bell, Others). We are not a very smart team or coached with much basketball IQ.  Would love some honest commentary from you on this.  Sorry but I have seen enough.  GO Hogs GO.

forrest city joe

Quote from: rmcchris on January 18, 2015, 07:56:19 pm
Joe, I want to support him as well.  But man, come on.  We can't adjust our defense and give up 51 at half and 96 for the game.  Here is how I see it.  We press full court or try to trap at half court.  We put our bigs on the front of both trap situations, full court or half court.  Teams with good guards or ball handling 3s/4s (or just so/so guards) reserve the ball to the other side, one more pass to the wing and they have their two bigs on each block.  Easy dunk, layup or if they don't pass it into their bigs, a wide open spot up three.  We are OK if teams are cold on the threes but sure not in conference play and a hot shooting Ole Miss.  But heck, surely we can correct our defense and make some in game changes?   Our offense was good enough, Portis/Qualls did their jobs.  Bench was not very good and cold from 3 (Bell, Others). We are not a very smart team or coached with much basketball IQ.  Would love some honest commentary from you on this.  Sorry but I have seen enough.  GO Hogs GO.
Mike is a good coach. he will get these problems fixed. right now it is all about defense. we have got to start getting stops on defense.

rmcchris

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 08:09:13 pm
Mike is a good coach. he will get these problems fixed. right now it is all about defense. we have got to start getting stops on defense.
Heck, how about changing some of our fundaments, defensive sets, how we handle picks, blocking out, on ball defense, weak side help defense.  Does he need someone to the point these things out for him?

forrest city joe

Quote from: rmcchris on January 18, 2015, 08:15:04 pm
Heck, how about changing some of our fundaments, defensive sets, how we handle picks, blocking out, on ball defense, weak side help defense.  Does he need someone to the point these things out for him?
No he does not. Mike knows what he is doing. he will get this fixed.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 08:39:08 pm

FCJ he lost at home to Ole Piss. Think about how bad that us...

HogMantheIntruder

Rick, I'm gonna tell FCJ that you hacked his Hogville account, and I don't think Randy's gonna like this one bit.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

porkinsons disease

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 08:39:08 pm
This week? This month? This year?
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

pigture perfect

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I think it's too late for Mike to learn how to run a half court offense. I like Mike as a person, But I don't care if he stays or goes. The apathy bug has bitten me again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 18, 2015, 08:09:13 pm

Joe...honest question and we'd all appreciate an honest answer.

If we don't make the tourney this year or next year (very possible) do you think at that point we should fire mike?  If not how many years of not making the tournament will it take for you to change your mind? 

Lots of folks lost some faith this week.  He's got his players, system in place...been here long enough. And we still look like we might be a bubble team or miss the tournament altogether. 

I know you think it's going to turn around but at what point do you give up on him getting it done.  You usually have a short fuse with coaches.  I think lots of folks would like to hear your thoughts.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2015, 10:56:22 pm
I am not giving up on my Hogs and i never Mike has ahell of a task ahead of him. but i still believe in him. he is the man to turn Arkansas basketball around. i admit that this is a bad loss at home. we have given up almost 100 points. Mike will find a way to get this defense fixed and it has to start the moment this game ends. defense lost this game. just like it did at TN. Mike has to find 5 guys who are willing to play defense.and go most of the game with them. and i believe he will do that. we have made things harder on ourselves with this bad home loss. but the season is not over. WE GAVE UP 96 POINTS HOG FANS. that's why we lost.

No BUTT  Ole Miss was on Fire that night and shot nearly 70% for the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 18, 2015, 09:13:20 pm
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I think it's too late for Mike to learn how to run a half court offense. I like Mike as a person, But I don't care if he stays or goes. The apathy bug has bitten me again.

The half court offense was just fine.  It was the half court defense that let us down.  And transition defense.  And the press defense.

We play defense and this team beats Ole Miss.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: OTR on January 18, 2015, 09:19:09 pm
Joe...honest question and we'd all appreciate an honest answer.

If we don't make the tourney this year or next year (very possible) do you think at that point we should fire mike?  If not how many years of not making the tournament will it take for you to change your mind? 

Lots of folks lost some faith this week.  He's got his players, system in place...been here long enough. And we still look like we might be a bubble team or miss the tournament altogether. 

I know you think it's going to turn around but at what point do you give up on him getting it done.  You usually have a short fuse with coaches.  I think lots of folks would like to hear your thoughts.

And a lot of silence.  I think the winds of change are upon us.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 19, 2015, 01:22:11 pm
The half court offense was just fine.  It was the half court defense that let us down.  And transition defense.  And the press defense.

We play defense and this team beats Ole Miss.

We don't beat OM with 41% shooting.  Wouldn't have ever happened.

forrest city joe

We are scoring enough points people. the problem with this team is defense. and i have faith that Mike will fix the program.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 19, 2015, 09:40:25 am
No BUTT  Ole Miss was on Fire that night and shot nearly 70% for the game.

OM shot 56% for the game.  We shot 41% for the game.  OM rebounded 22 of our misses and we got 14.  We got 13 of their misses and they got 11.

I'm not sure any SEC team playing another SEC team will be able to overcome 41% shooting unless there is a huge disparity in 3-ptrs (OM made 8 and we made 8)or FT's (OM made 26 and we made 30).  Here's a link to the box score:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400596126

Danny J

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 19, 2015, 07:23:00 pm
OM shot 56% for the game.  We shot 41% for the game.  OM rebounded 22 of our misses and we got 14.  We got 13 of their misses and they got 11.

I'm not sure any SEC team playing another SEC team will be able to overcome 41% shooting unless there is a huge disparity in 3-ptrs (OM made 8 and we made 8)or FT's (OM made 26 and we made 30).  Here's a link to the box score:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400596126
This is true. The game was lost in the first half though. We were down 13 at the half and lost by 14. So we played them even in the second half. Our D in the first half was beyond atrocious. As bad a defensive effort I have seen from a Hog team in a very long time. They were like a sieve.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 19, 2015, 06:47:12 pm
We don't beat OM with 41% shooting.  Wouldn't have ever happened.

Just a play a little bit of defense and get Ole Miss down to 45% shooting and we win this game.  They normally only shoot 43%, but not against our defense.

Sure, we could have shot better.  But that's not a consistent problem (yet).  Defense has been a consistent problem all year.

Bama shoots 45%.  We beat them at home if they shoot 45%.