Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA vs ASU

Started by hogz11, December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

December 14, 2013, 06:52:45 pm #150 Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:20:06 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: reddogjcss on December 14, 2013, 03:16:27 pm
I know there's nothing to gain for the hogs!!! I do think ASU has everything to gain! One thing I've give great thought to is the fact that if Razorbacks lose the lose big time so with that they have something to gain! That's one game we don't want to lose no matter what the circumstance! So that in itself would give us something to gain. Winning a game against an opponent with nothing to lose and everything to gain! We better learn how to win regardless. That would be an improvement.
I think everyone agrees that the Razorbacks would put lot on the line playing ASU.

Not to the same degree because they are in different NCAA Divisions, but the same thing could be said of ASU playing UCA.

Bottom line when the powers that be at the UofA, decide playing the game is in their best interest I'm sure ASU will oblige, until then it is a mute issue and no one should force them to play. ASU fans are fine with that, really!  They have no problems whatsoever! None!!!ZERO!!!Nada!!Zilch!!!

They want to beat Tennessee, Miami, Utah State, and Missouri, they are on the schedule, and that is what counts.............really!!!! That's the truth!!!

This conversation is so 1980's. Neither schools are what they were then.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 14, 2013, 07:53:48 pm
Imagine the fallout if ASU beats Missouri next year and Arkansas doesn't.....
They play them in 2015, try to keep up on your slights.

GolfNut57

How would that be any different than last year when ULM beat ARK and then lost to ASU?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 09:41:02 pm
You guys made me lol at your responses. I should have clarified I am not a proponent for the game. I totally agree UA has nothing to gain & everything to lose. I have a hard time explaining that to my radical Red Wolf Indian Jonestown friends. They all think ASU is ready to take on UA full time.....

REALLY?  I have heard of this thing called a "Radical Red Wolf Indian Jonestown Friend" But I thought it was really just a myth!  Do they really exist?  If so why?
I still don't think anyone could ever be "Radical" and be a Indian, I mean Red Wolf Fan!  HOW?

TeedupHigh

I FOUND THAT RADICAL RED WOLF INDIAN FAN!! HE DOES EXIST!!!  So sorry for shouting but it is such a shock!!

snoblind

Quote from: fvillehog on December 12, 2013, 08:37:22 pm
It will never happen.  Period.  Ever.  Not once.  Not ever.   

/thread w/reply#1

Westcoasthog

What is the big issue?  Every other state school plays each other.  Keep the
money in the State of Arkansas for this game.

ricepig

Quote from: Westcoasthog on December 14, 2013, 09:28:02 pm

Sure, that out of state money is no good, doesn't spend as well.

kodiakisland

I'd like to see how playing each other would actually increase the in state money.  The game would probably be in LR.  There would be less people staying in hotels for this game instead of playing a team from out of state.  Neither team would make money playing there.  The UA would not pay ASU anything.  ASU would proably play one less game against a major D1 team and forgo that payment if they had to play AU.  Where is all the extra in state money?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm
I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now. They keep saying either a home & home or play every year at WMS. Here's how I see it happening (if it ever does) unless ASU elevates itself to a school better than the Sun Belt........

UA and ASU play every year in Fayetteville at DWRRS. UA pays ASU nothing or next to nothing, but allots them more tickets as the game will sell out easy. No way you do a home & home as the Hogs are not going to play in a stadium that seats about 30,000 and I mean no way ever. I get why fans would want to see it at WMS, but it will never happen there under the condition of the current facilities. Plus, I'm sure the WMS commission will want money for the game and you can forget that. The Hogs are already on there way out and may never return to WMS after the next five years.

Anyway, the game may never happen. But if it does, that's how I see it without some big wild card coming into play. Anyone think different?

No way I play this game. Remember UL-Monroe? I will not ever allow that to happen again

FrozenHam

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 10:24:38 pm
Wrong. If ASU can go play Auburn the same week for $1 million, they'd come out ahead of what the UofA would pay ASU. This argument doesn't hold water.

Your response suggests that you have not given this argument the attention it deserves.  The economic benefits to a state are much larger than the pay-for-play check issued by the larger school.  Concessions and revenue associated with the event provide substantial stimuli to local economies.  Football games produce a significant impact on hotel occupancy   rates, associated hotel tax collections and restaurant prepared food taxes. These visitors generate substantial expenditures at restaurants, hotels, retail, and gasoline stores, providing an important boost to the local economy and collection of sales taxes. These sources of income are all lost when Arkansas teams play away games.  In state games would serve the state of Arkansas well, and maybe its fans.

FrozenHam

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 12, 2013, 10:24:38 pm
Wrong. If ASU can go play Auburn the same week for $1 million, they'd come out ahead of what the UofA would pay ASU. This argument doesn't hold water.

ULM provides an excellent example of a directional school which played both Auburn and Arkansas in the same season (2012) in back to back weeks; we discover that ULM was only paid $55,000 more by Auburn than by UofArkansas:

From "Dawn of the directional: UL Monroe football, where upsets are the business model" by Steven Godfrey

"Sun Belt teams are now averaging around $1 million a game to play major SEC opponents (ULM received $1.05 million to play at Auburn the previous week). The Arkansas series, set before Staub arrived, actually had ULM as the home team in Little Rock thanks to a five-year contract with Arkansas that granted ULM hosting status in War Memorial, allowing the crowd of over 50,000 to count in ULM's annual attendance average. On top of the statistical boost and the huge win, ULM pocketed $950,000 for the game, per Staub."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/9/25/3386352/louisiana-monroe-football-2012

kodiakisland

Quote from: FrozenHam on December 14, 2013, 11:28:15 pm
Your response suggests that you have not given this argument the attention it deserves.  The economic benefits to a state are much larger than the pay-for-play check issued by the larger school.  Concessions and revenue associated with the event provide substantial stimuli to local economies.  Football games produce a significant impact on hotel occupancy   rates, associated hotel tax collections and restaurant prepared food taxes. These visitors generate substantial expenditures at restaurants, hotels, retail, and gasoline stores, providing an important boost to the local economy and collection of sales taxes. These sources of income are all lost when Arkansas teams play away games.  In state games would serve the state of Arkansas well, and maybe its fans.

Again, how?  How would this game provide more money than any other game?  If there is one game in LR and it is this one, there will be less money spent in LR.  Most people will travel on game day and not need hotels and eating out in LR.  No visiting team and fans.  It loses money.  Furthermore, the UA will not pay ASU to play, so ASU loses the revenue of playing a major D1 team.  Now for the UA, they probably make money because they don't have to pay a minor D1 team to play them and they were playing one game in LR anyway.  Overall, it hurts LR and ASU financially. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

Quote from: FrozenHam on December 14, 2013, 11:28:15 pm

We are already playing the home dates with the concessions and such, so it doesn't change that one bit. Now if ASU is playing a home game in Jonesboro instead of on the road, it would increase their concessions and other ancillary revenue.  So, in your case, both teams should schedule home games for their non-conference schedule.

FrozenHam

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 14, 2013, 11:41:50 pm
Again, how?  How would this game provide more money than any other game?  If there is one game in LR and it is this one, there will be less money spent in LR.  Most people will travel on game day and not need hotels and eating out in LR.  No visiting team and fans.  It loses money.  Furthermore, the UA will not pay ASU to play, so ASU loses the revenue of playing a major D1 team.  Now for the UA, they probably make money because they don't have to pay a minor D1 team to play them and they were playing one game in LR anyway.  Overall, it hurts LR and ASU financially.

Not more money than any other game, Kodiak.  The point being discussed here is that ASU vs UA would keep all of that money inside the state of Arkansas, as opposed to ASU or Arkansas playing away games outside the borders of the Natural State, where much of the revenue is collected by other states.  Florida vs FSU, Clemson vs USC, the Iron Bowl, the Egg Bowl, etc. all generate revenue which remains in-state, as would an ASU vs UA series.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 14, 2013, 06:52:45 pm
I think everyone agrees that the Razorbacks would put lot on the line playing ASU.

Not to the same degree because they are in different NCAA Divisions, but the same thing could be said of ASU playing UCA.

Bottom line when the powers that be at the UofA, decide playing the game is in their best interest I'm sure ASU will oblige, until then it is a mute issue and no one should force them to play. ASU fans are fine with that, really!  They have no problems whatsoever! None!!!ZERO!!!Nada!!Zilch!!!

They want to beat Tennessee, Miami, Utah State, and Missouri, they are on the schedule, and that is what counts.............really!!!! That's the truth!!!

This conversation is so 1980's. Neither schools are what they were then.

I agree neither schools are what they were back then. However there are STILL some folks out there in Jonesboro and NEA that salivate over the possibility to play the Hogs and want them to badly. I've lived and worked there and you haven't. I've spoken to them personally. I will agree to those in the power positions at ASU it doesn't matter anymore but to a lot of ASU fans it does matter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

No fallout. Just a lot of ASU fans would howl at the moon and gloat.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 14, 2013, 08:05:12 pm
How would that be any different than last year when ULM beat ARK and then lost to ASU?

Exactly.

Inhogswetrust

UHHHHHHH. No they don't.

reddogjcss

Right now it's a win/ win for ASU no mater the outcome! It's a big time lose if the RAZORBACKS lose the game! There's nothing to gain for U of A . It's not going to move the Razorbacks up but it could move them down! Needs to be something for both schools. When ASU gets in one of the big 5 conferences then it will something in it for U of A. Until then if ever it's a none issue for Razorbacks.

kodiakisland

Quote from: FrozenHam on December 15, 2013, 10:48:58 am
Not more money than any other game, Kodiak.  The point being discussed here is that ASU vs UA would keep all of that money inside the state of Arkansas, as opposed to ASU or Arkansas playing away games outside the borders of the Natural State, where much of the revenue is collected by other states.  Florida vs FSU, Clemson vs USC, the Iron Bowl, the Egg Bowl, etc. all generate revenue which remains in-state, as would an ASU vs UA series.

It would if it was in addition to the home games already being played in Arkansas.  Or, if it is in addition to the one game we will already play in LR.  If all it does is replace the LR game, it's a money loser.  Also, it is lost revenue to ASU if they play one less major D1 team because they play UA.  The UA will not pay ASU to play like other major D1 schools would.

GolfNut57

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 15, 2013, 04:28:23 pm
Right now it's a win/ win for ASU no mater the outcome! It's a big time lose if the RAZORBACKS lose the game! There's nothing to gain for U of A . It's not going to move the Razorbacks up but it could move them down! Needs to be something for both schools. When ASU gets in one of the big 5 conferences then it will something in it for U of A. Until then if ever it's a none issue for Razorbacks.

How would it move them down? I didn't see them hurt that much by the loss to a D-1AA team Citadel some years back. They were still THE team in ARK. They lost to ULM in 2012. Did that hurt the Hogs? Not so I could tell. Ark would still be a SEC team and ASU would still be a Sunbelt team. Regardless of the results of such a game.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2013, 05:13:46 pm
How would it move them down? I didn't see them hurt that much by the loss to a D-1AA team Citadel some years back. They were still THE team in ARK. They lost to ULM in 2012. Did that hurt the Hogs? Not so I could tell. Ark would still be a SEC team and ASU would still be a Sunbelt team. Regardless of the results of such a game.

I don't care if the game is played or not, but it won't hurt the program any more than 0-8 in the SEC did this year. It's a momentary thing, soon forgotten, a prolonged number of losses or losing records is much more damage

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 15, 2013, 04:28:23 pm

The ole everything to lose nothing to gain argument.

What does ASU gain? How is it a win/win? This absolutely stumps me every time I hear that. What do we gain by losing that game? What do we get besides a W if we win? Same questions for UA. I don't get it.

We played FCS UCA a couple years ago. As expected it was an easy victory. I don't think they got anything out of it besides a check. As far as I know both sides were happy.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2013, 05:13:46 pm

This makes no sense. Did you forget the Arkansas vs UL-Monroe game? No way Hogs can have a repeated result of the biggest loss in school history. No 8 in the nation to unranked and a disaster on the way... Quit with this ASU vs Arkansas talk it would be no gain for the University of Arkansas.

kuhog

There are in state teams playing each other every year. I've seen Oklahoma play Tulsa, Colorado play Colorado St., LSU play ULM, etc. Fact of the matter, the only reason there are not games being played between the Hogs and Wolves is that the University of Arkansas is scared to death of potentially losing to ASU.

ricepig

Quote from: kuhog on December 15, 2013, 07:10:57 pm
There are in state teams playing each other every year. I've seen Oklahoma play Tulsa, Colorado play Colorado St., LSU play ULM, etc. Fact of the matter, the only reason there are not games being played between the Hogs and Wolves is that the University of Arkansas is scared to death of potentially losing to ASU.

Scared to death? Nothing like overstating something, I'd say worried about split loyalties. There are lots of fans who attend games and financially support both team, they wish to avoid a potential showdown.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2013, 07:16:40 pm
Scared to death? Nothing like overstating something, I'd say worried about split loyalties. There are lots of fans who attend games and financially support both team, they wish to avoid a potential showdown.

Agreed... UL-Monroe happened. Why wouldn't the Red Wolf Miracle happen next... Only in Little Rock

reddogjcss

If we got beat by little brother it would be much worse than another equal school.
All being said I'd love for it to happen! I would love for it to be the first game or last game every year in the Rock! I'm not against it. I just see how U of A see it as no gain. I think playing some one with nothing to lose and everything to gain would teach the team to be ready to play every game. There are no easy wins!

ricepig

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 15, 2013, 07:19:58 pm
Agreed... UL-Monroe happened. Why wouldn't the Red Wolf Miracle happen next... Only in Little Rock

So, you're saying move all games to Fayetteville, right??

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2013, 08:17:49 pm
So, you're saying move all games to Fayetteville, right??
Yes, the University is in Fayetteville. Let Waste Management Stadium in Little Rock host a few Red Wolves games a year while the Hogs play in Fayetteville.

reddogjcss

I wish every game was in Fayetteville. On campus! Much better stadium and better atmosphere! That just my opinnion

Albert Einswine

ASU is on the proper program path, they just need to be competitive with the bigs they have on their schedule.

They don't need help from the Razorbacks and the Razorbacks don't need to share their marquee with other state programs.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Lake City Hog

Billy Brewer, an old Ole Miss coach once said the worst thing Ole Miss ever did was to start playing Southern Mississippi! He said it leveled the recruiting field just a bit more for Southern and did exactly nothing for Ole Miss.

Exact same principal for the University of Arkansas, exactly nothing for the Hogs.

reddogjcss

Leveling the recruiting would be bad! We need all the best recruits we can get.

One Bad Boy

Hog fans say they gain nothing for playing ASU, what do you gain by playing other Sun Belt schools in the first place? I am a Hog fan, but never understood that excuse of not playing the game!!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: One Bad Boy on December 15, 2013, 10:00:05 pm
Hog fans say they gain nothing for playing ASU, what do you gain by playing other Sun Belt schools in the first place? I am a Hog fan, but never understood that excuse of not playing the game!!!

In all instances with the exception of ULM last season, we pad the schedule with a win and work on fundamentals.

All teams put winnable non-cons on their schedule and Arkansas schedules the teams it's willing to play.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgfan4life

If the only excuse is it is a no win situation for AR, then it is not a good excuse.  Why is it a no win?  If we are an SEC powerhouse, then we should expect to win, play accordingly, and win.  If ASU is going to make it into a big deal, our players better learn how to raise their level of play to the opponent's intensity for the game.  I would much rather play ASU and lose to them in an exciting game that means something other than an easy win than lose to Rutgers, SMU off the death penalty, Citadel, any Louisiana team other than LSU, etc...

I would argue it is a win/win for both teams, the state, and for WMS.  Play it in WMS every year.  Little Rock gets an AR game every year.  Every dollar goes to AR programs and businesses which will help AR.  It adds a whole new level of excitement to a non-conference game even if ASU is down and we are expected to win easy (which has NOT been the case for a few years now). 

At the rate we are going, ASU might not want to play us because it might hurt their strength of schedule rating and chances at a better bowl.  AR is staring an uphill climb just to get to the middle of the pack in the SEC much less compete for a playoff spot.  Exactly what would we be losing by losing to ASU at this point?  We are either the big dog or we aren't but lets not be afraid to take on all challengers even if they are an in-state school.  I say lets play them and shut them up or play them and let them put us in our place.  Either way, its time to play!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 15, 2013, 10:57:24 pm
If the only excuse is it is a no win situation for AR, then it is not a good excuse.  Why is it a no win?  If we are an SEC powerhouse, then we should expect to win, play accordingly, and win.  If ASU is going to make it into a big deal, our players better learn how to raise their level of play to the opponent's intensity for the game.  I would much rather play ASU and lose to them in an exciting game that means something other than an easy win than lose to Rutgers, SMU off the death penalty, Citadel, any Louisiana team other than LSU, etc...

I would argue it is a win/win for both teams, the state, and for WMS.  Play it in WMS every year.  Little Rock gets an AR game every year.  Every dollar goes to AR programs and businesses which will help AR.  It adds a whole new level of excitement to a non-conference game even if ASU is down and we are expected to win easy (which has NOT been the case for a few years now). 

At the rate we are going, ASU might not want to play us because it might hurt their strength of schedule rating and chances at a better bowl.  AR is staring an uphill climb just to get to the middle of the pack in the SEC much less compete for a playoff spot.  Exactly what would we be losing by losing to ASU at this point?  We are either the big dog or we aren't but lets not be afraid to take on all challengers even if they are an in-state school.  I say lets play them and shut them up or play them and let them put us in our place.  Either way, its time to play!

Waste of time post. You have no clue because if you did you would understand all the posts before.

kodiakisland

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 15, 2013, 10:57:24 pm

What dollars?  How much money do we make playing in LR?  Now divide that by two.  The UA will not pay ASU to play.  How much money are both teams splitting after WMS takes their cut?

If this is the only LR game, it hurts LR.  Who will stay in more hotels and eat at more restaurants?  An SEC team or ASU?  When we play Georgia in LR next year, you think that will bring less money to town than if we were playing ASU?

What do you think the LR crowd wants to see most?  An SEC matchup or an ASU matchup?

The only way this game makes sense is if there are no more LR games. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2013, 05:22:39 pm
I don't care if the game is played or not, but it won't hurt the program any more than 0-8 in the SEC did this year. It's a momentary thing, soon forgotten, a prolonged number of losses or losing records is much more damage

I'm not arguing for the game to be played. I couldn't care less if they never do play. ASU doesn't need the game to advance their cause. I'm only contending the point that a loss would hurt the hogs moreso than losing to ULM did.

GolfNut57

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 15, 2013, 05:29:09 pm
This makes no sense. Did you forget the Arkansas vs UL-Monroe game? No way Hogs can have a repeated result of the biggest loss in school history. No 8 in the nation to unranked and a disaster on the way... Quit with this ASU vs Arkansas talk it would be no gain for the University of Arkansas.

Biggest loss in school history? You mean that was bigger than losing to 1AA Citadel?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 16, 2013, 07:03:45 am
Biggest loss in school history? You mean that was bigger than losing to 1AA Citadel?

The 70-17 bitch slapping we received at USCw was more embarrassing to me. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: hogz11 on December 12, 2013, 08:33:32 pm
I've been debating this with some friends for quite a while now. They keep saying either a home & home or play every year at WMS. Here's how I see it happening (if it ever does) unless ASU elevates itself to a school better than the Sun Belt........

UA and ASU play every year in Fayetteville at DWRRS. UA pays ASU nothing or next to nothing, but allots them more tickets as the game will sell out easy. No way you do a home & home as the Hogs are not going to play in a stadium that seats about 30,000 and I mean no way ever. I get why fans would want to see it at WMS, but it will never happen there under the condition of the current facilities. Plus, I'm sure the WMS commission will want money for the game and you can forget that. The Hogs are already on there way out and may never return to WMS after the next five years.

Anyway, the game may never happen. But if it does, that's how I see it without some big wild card coming into play. Anyone think different?

First off, in no way could I see a badminton match between UA and ASU ever being
sold out. The Indians or whatever they're called simply wouldn't be competitive with
as deep a team of  cock swatters as us. ASU's cock swatters simply don't match up
size wise, so just forget about even suggesting such a thing, at WMS, DWRS or anywhere.
Not gonna happen.....ever! Wait......did you mean in football????

TheRazorbackGuy

Arkansas wasn't no 8 in the country and the laughing stock of College football after JLS wants to say "SMILE" after losing to UL-Monroe. Yes, it was a bigger loss because Game Day was set to come to Fayetteville for Alabama the next week and Arkansas was no 8 in the nation and loses to UL-Monroe. As result, John L Smith does his stupid "SMILE" thing after losing to Monroe. We were the laughing stock of college football.

ricepig

GolfNut57

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 16, 2013, 06:18:19 pm
Arkansas wasn't no 8 in the country and the laughing stock of College football after JLS wants to say "SMILE" after losing to UL-Monroe. Yes, it was a bigger loss because Game Day was set to come to Fayetteville for Alabama the next week and Arkansas was no 8 in the nation and loses to UL-Monroe. As result, John L Smith does his stupid "SMILE" thing after losing to Monroe. We were the laughing stock of college football.

Have you always had trouble repeating yourself in a post?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 16, 2013, 06:20:16 pm
More so than 51-7?

I was more embarrassed by the 63-20 beatdown we got from Tennessee than either of the USC debacles.

We were down 35-0 in the first quarter of that one.

BPsTheMan

You have all time losing records versus:

Arkansas Tech
UCA
Hendrix
Ouachita Baptist
Southern Arkansas

FYI

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sunbelt/arkansas_state/opponents.php