Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gobbling?

Started by caneybuck, March 15, 2014, 08:30:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

caneybuck

Has anyone heard turkeys gobbling yet?  I've been out 5 mornings since a week ago last Friday and heard turkeys on 4 mornings.  I am shocked!  I even had a nice gobbler come to my calling yesterday morning....he only gobbled once but he strutted and drummed for almost an hour then left with a hen when she showed up.  I really thought things would be late starting with all the cold weather but maybe not. Also, I'm seeing turkey sign in places I haven't seen sign in several years.  Maybe our turkey population is finally starting to make somewhat of a come back.     

Southerneyes

Yes I've heard some 2 morning....yes i think turkey population is slowly going back up....I couldnt believe my eyes this winter I saw 12 gobblers together!....also saw more poults with hens the last two summers......I live in NWA.

caneybuck

Quote from: Southerneyes on March 17, 2014, 05:46:35 pm
Yes I've heard some 2 morning....yes i think turkey population is slowly going back up....I couldnt believe my eyes this winter I saw 12 gobblers together!....also saw more poults with hens the last two summers......I live in NWA.

This is great news!  I had wondered how the rest of the state was fairing.  I live south of Hot Springs and hunt mostly in the Ouachitas.  Glad to hear other parts of the state are showing increases.  Thanks! 

DeltaBoy

Dad reported seeing and hearing Toms in Monroe County outside of the WMR's !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg

We heard some Sat; wasn't sure how many cause you couldn't tell em apart..guessing at least 8

mr4pt

Nothing this am in SWA but it was a horrible morning to scout, cold, windy and raining.  I scouted til noon, saw one hen and heard zero gobbles.

caneybuck

I heard 6 yesterday morning in some very thick fog then this morning with better weather I heard nothing but I did see a strutter with 6 other turkeys probably hens. My son was in another location this morning and heard 5.  He said one was really getting with it. Things are starting to heat up some......can't wait until the 19th.   

HogScoutMaster

Advice sought !

I am not a hunter, I am very soft hearted and was not born into hunting.  I want to hunt something that I would enjoy so I thought about duck hunting.  I have a buddy that I work with that duck hunts and he advised that I don't.  Its too expensive and you just freeze.  So this morning I was going through my mail and noticed I recieved a Field and Stream mag (btw I love to fish and have a boat because I was raised on fishing) and noticed it was for the wrong address.  It had some info on Turkey Hunting, so I am here seeking advice on Turkey hunting. 

I will take the mag to the correct address.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

root_hawg

I would start with small game so you would get lots of action, like squirrel.  Turkey hunting requires a good deal of knowledge and turkey area plus the ability to call.

hawgwild child

Ya I would go with squirrel as well, or maybe just shooting targets all summer then slowly getting into a sport such as duck hunting or deer hunting.  for a first time hunter going turkey hunting, u might drop hunting all together if the bugs get after you if you are not properly prepared, like root said turkey hunting is one thing u cant be good at over night

Albert Einswine

Pic from a friend of mine in Cordova, Tennessee yesterday in a post elsewhere. He said it was in that day's newspaper, which I assume meant the Commercial Appeal.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

root_hawg

I talked to my buddy at our lease; said coming to hunt Sun thru Tues..his response..you can only kill 2 so we don't have enough tags for 3 days.  I like his confidence

rickm1976

Quote from: root_hawg on April 18, 2014, 07:09:02 pm
I would start with small game so you would get lots of action, like squirrel.  Turkey hunting requires a good deal of knowledge and turkey area plus the ability to call.

Yep.  I've been hunting deer, quail, turkeys, crows, and fur-bearers for over forty years, and turkeys are by far the most difficult.

hawgwild child

Good luck gents, im up sipping on an energy drink waiting to get in the woods

Spikes

9 3/4 bread. 3/4 spurs

[attachment deleted by admin]
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

root_hawg

Headed out today after church for first time..we shall see

hawgwild child

Nice spikes, I heard one jake all morning.  Didn't even hear a shot the whole morning either. 

Spikes

Boy what a day.  Birds were hammering till 10 am. Knocked out bird #2 around 10 am. Same size as the other one from yesterday. It has been years since i've heard the birds gobble like they have this yr.  Going to focus on helping dad get his limit now. Good luck to all. If you can hunt mid day I would suggest it esp since everyone has been hunting them hard this weekend, mid day will be great.

Good luck guys

Spikes

Spikes

Quote from: hawgwild child on April 20, 2014, 12:39:19 pm
Nice spikes, I heard one jake all morning.  Didn't even hear a shot the whole morning either. 

Thanks Hawgwild Child.  What area you hunting?

hawgwild child

Quote from: Spikes on April 20, 2014, 03:44:28 pm
Thanks Hawgwild Child.  What area you hunting?
Around the Yell Co area, I acutally slept in to go fishing this morning and my buddy who I go with usually missed one this morning

tophawg19

hunt open fields in the middle of the day . stay along the tree lines .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogScoutMaster

I love squirrels, I could not kill them.  I have tons of squirrel feeders on my property just so I can watch them.
I cant hunt deer Either.... did you know read the first sentence "I am very soft hearted"  I love watching them.  I thought about duck but buddy of mine said you have to find a club and it can get very expensive.

HogScoutMaster

buddy and me are looking into feral hogs or I guess some call it wild hogs.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DewUar88 on April 21, 2014, 11:25:05 am
I love squirrels, I could not kill them.  I have tons of squirrel feeders on my property just so I can watch them.
I cant hunt deer Either.... did you know read the first sentence "I am very soft hearted"  I love watching them.  I thought about duck but buddy of mine said you have to find a club and it can get very expensive.

You have to develop a certain duality of nature to be a hunter. I love all God's creatures most of the time, but when it's time to hunt and fill the larder I switch that off and do my primeval duty.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 21, 2014, 01:49:29 pm
I switch that off and do my primeval duty.

I wish I had that switch. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DewUar88 on April 22, 2014, 09:24:39 am
I wish I had that switch. 

All men have that switch, it's wired into your brain from eons ago, but it needs to be developed early in youth to offset the programming of our soft, decadent culture.

HogScoutMaster

That's it, it never was "needs to be developed early in youth".  Again I have no problem fishing, love it actually.

OldCoot

Quote from: DewUar88 on April 22, 2014, 12:13:34 pm
That's it, it never was "needs to be developed early in youth".  Again I have no problem fishing, love it actually.

Then I would stick to shooting skeet and fishing.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Dude on April 22, 2014, 02:09:22 pm
Then I would stick to shooting skeet and fishing.

why cant I hunt Turkey?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DewUar88 on April 22, 2014, 02:14:35 pm
why cant I hunt Turkey?

If you don't have the nerve to kill a rodent which is easy to kill, how are you going to have the nerve to kill a bird which is much more difficult?

OldCoot

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 22, 2014, 02:24:12 pm

If you don't have the nerve to kill a rodent which is easy to kill, how are you going to have the nerve to kill a bird which is much more difficult?

Yep. I was raised on hunting and killing and don't have the skill/patience/expertise to turkey hunt.  But by all means go for it, you won't have to worry about killing one anyway.  Once you enter the woods, there probably won't be one for 5 miles of wherever you are.  It's that hard.

root_hawg

Called bird number 4 in today; 11 1/4 beard and 1.5 spurs and 24lbs.

I get all the enjoyment of calling them in and not having to worry about cleaning them.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 22, 2014, 02:24:12 pm

Because I cook turkey every year, and I know without a shadow of a doubt NONE of it would be wasted.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Dude on April 22, 2014, 02:40:16 pm
But by all means go for it, you won't have to worry about killing one anyway.  Once you enter the woods, there probably won't be one for 5 miles of wherever you are.  It's that hard.

Never said I wanted one tomorrow...Everything I know I have learned and taught myself.  Mom said I have the patience of Job, I have no problem walking away from a hunt empty handed....I never received Trophies for participating.

root_hawg

Territory is hard to find where u can hunt turkeys as well

OldCoot

Quote from: root_hawg on May 01, 2014, 04:36:35 am
Territory is hard to find where u can hunt turkeys as well

When i was a kid, there were plenty of places to hunt. Now you just about have to have a lease for anything.  And forget duck hunting unless you have $$$.  Even the public places like Bayou Meto, the locals will fight you for their spots they think they own.

The Boar War

I really enjoy turkey hunting.  Unfortunately I don't get to go a lot.  I haven't called in a Tom yet but I've brought in quite a few hens and some coyotes.  My call must sound pretty sickly because it brings out the nurturing side of the hens and the hungry side of the coyotes.

root_hawg

Shoot them coyotes

tophawg19

yep coyotes are hard on turkey populations . i don't care much about killing turkey anymore . love to call them in though. so far i've called in fox , coyote , bob cat and even a huge coon and possibly a bear . he took off before i could see him but it was a big animal who came in down wind and was breaking limbs leaving . I much prefer killing the other animals and saving turkeys for youth hunters , nighttime predator calling is fun but you better have some nerves because at times they may be within 20 feet when you hit the lights
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Boar War