Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark Couple arrested for making Deer Tamales.

Started by DeltaBoy, February 28, 2014, 01:14:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.katv.com/story/24843828/illegal-wildlife-operation-uncovered-by-wildlife-officers

Fred Thomas Atkins III, 49, and his wife Betty Louise Williams, 28, were arrested at their tamale stand on Arkansas Highway 16 between Searcy and Pangburn. The couple was issued citations for several game violations including buying and selling wildlife.

Another WASTE of Time and Money.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kodiakisland

49 and 28.  Hmmm.  Couldn't they have found something better to do than to buy and sell wild game?

Hopefully they get a jury trial.  They can make tamales for the jurors and let them decide.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HawgWild

I've heard of tamales being made with a lot worse.

HogBreath

Thank goodness the Game & Fishy, Sheriff's dept., Bureau of ATF, Homeland defense, FBI, Federal Marshall's, State Police, IRS & National Guard were able to get this tamale stand shut down.

Any truth to the rumor that the Arkansas Auto Insurance Alliance was buying massive amounts of these venison tamales?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

kodiakisland

Quote from: HogBreath on February 28, 2014, 09:07:40 pm

Any truth to the rumor that the Arkansas Auto Insurance Alliance was buying massive amounts of these venison tamales?

They way I heard it they were using the proceeds to bring more coyotes into the state.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

LSUFan

Damn, I feel safer now, almost as safe as I feel when they round up a bunch of prostitutes.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

So, they were making tamales out of of illegal game and nobody ever sees a black panther.  Coincidence?  I think not.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Rzbakfromwaybak

February 28, 2014, 11:55:26 pm #8 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:18:25 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 28, 2014, 09:42:56 pm

Worry about poaching ,and cut prices.

Actually what they were doing....certainly increases poaching.  If there were not laws against selling deer meat, you can bet that there would be much more poaching going on... in order to supply the individuals or (tamale stands, restaurant's, etc) with the meat.  The article says this couple also "bought several deer from undercover agents". They were not just using the meat from a deer they legally killed. Market hunting back in the late 1800's/early 1900's..., almost wiped out the entire deer herd from the state.  My Dad said when he first started hunting deer in the 40's, it was a thrill if you even got to see a few deer during the whole season.  He sometimes went a whole season without seeing one. He even had pictures in his album, of some deer tracks along a creek around Sheridan, thought that was a big deal back then.  Just weren't many deer in parts of the state like there are now.  Even back in the 60's, the entire herd was only back up to around 200,000 .....believe that most of those were in East, or Southeast Arkansas.

Not saying that this kind of thing (selling meat) would wipe out the deer herd today... with a population of around a million in the state.  But left unchecked, it would encourage poaching & hurt a lot of legal hunters chances each fall.  If there was money to be made by supplying deer meat...there are poachers that will do it.  Too many poachers already,  need to nip things like this in the bud.  Arresting these people & making it public will help discourage this sort of thing.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

kodiakisland

Poaching and selling of meat is only mutually a problem if it is allowed to be.  The majority of sport hunted meat in Europe ends up being sold through restaurants or the local butcher.  It does not lead to poaching as all game coming into those establishments are shot on license.  Since there are many legal avenues for acquiring wild game without shooting it yourself, one has less need to poach.

Of course, the meth heads here would be out in full force if they thought they could make a buck off it.

HogBreath

March 01, 2014, 01:17:36 am #10 Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:17:08 am by HogBreath
Somebody said there was a billboard just down the road from their tamale stand with those danged Chic Fil-A cows on there encouraging people to make more tamales out of deer meat.

Of course, since most tamales are made from pork, maybe these folks could work with the game & fish to buy feral hogs......that'd be a win/win for ever body.

Well, cept fer them pigs.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

AcornHunter

I agree with 'waybak and 'Breath.  I can remember when:  Even seeing a deer track was reason enough to head for the country store to sit around braggin about it.  Now there's so many it's hard to raise an unmolested garden.  But don't blame Bambi!  We've obliterated acorn trees (clear-cutting) and browse (farm and pasture land).   Deer, like people, go to where the groceries are.

Besides, there's not enough grease in venison to make a chin-drippin good tamale.  It takes a hog's head for that.

Happy drooling.

95_alum

Quote from: HogBreath on March 01, 2014, 01:17:36 am
... maybe these folks could work with the game & fish to buy feral hogs......that'd be a win/win for ever body.

Well, cept fer them pigs.

Great idea HB! Love it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 01, 2014, 01:11:21 am

Poaching and selling of meat is only mutually a problem if it is allowed to be.  The majority of sport hunted meat in Europe ends up being sold through restaurants or the local butcher.  It does not lead to poaching as all game coming into those establishments are shot on license.  Since there are many legal avenues for acquiring wild game without shooting it yourself, one has less need to poach.

Of course, the meth heads here would be out in full force if they thought they could make a buck off it.

Having & enforcing laws on poaching & selling is certainly critical.  Yet you are not really describing "Sport hunted meat"...if it is being sold at restaurant's or at the butcher.  That is actually market meat, because that's where it ends up. That may work over there, but this isn't Europe..(at least not yet). Agree with you about the meth heads making a buck.... & it would not only be meth heads trying to make money poaching. The part time & occasional poacher, would soon be putting more hours on the roads & in the woods...to supply the people selling it.  Money to be made. Just like the couple that were making deer tamales.....they were buying it from what they thought were poachers, not undercover wildlife officers.

LSUFan

Then set it up like alligators are down here.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: AcornHunter on March 01, 2014, 06:57:02 am

Besides, there's not enough grease in venison to make a chin-drippin good tamale. 

Weren't they mixing in pork? 

Either way, if you're silly enough to buy and eat a roadside tamale, don't expect any sympathy for the gastrointestinal misery you'll inevitably be in.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 02, 2014, 12:10:10 am
Having & enforcing laws on poaching & selling is certainly critical.  Yet you are not really describing "Sport hunted meat"...if it is being sold at restaurant's or at the butcher.  That is actually market meat, because that's where it ends up. That may work over there, but this isn't Europe..(at least not yet). Agree with you about the meth heads making a buck.... & it would not only be meth heads trying to make money poaching. The part time & occasional poacher, would soon be putting more hours on the roads & in the woods...to supply the people selling it.  Money to be made. Just like the couple that were making deer tamales.....they were buying it from what they thought were poachers, not undercover wildlife officers.

It most certainly was sport hunted meat. How do I know?  Because I did it for several years.  It's just a different way of doing something.  Sometimes we think there is only one way when in fact there may be several ways of doing things.  At least in Europe ducks don't end up being thrown into dumpsters or roadside ditches after a hunt like many here do.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 02, 2014, 08:08:07 am

It most certainly was sport hunted meat. How do I know?  Because I did it for several years.  It's just a different way of doing something.  Sometimes we think there is only one way when in fact there may be several ways of doing things.  At least in Europe ducks don't end up being thrown into dumpsters or roadside ditches after a hunt like many here do.

Sport hunted meat....is not sold at butchers & markets.  When it is sold at a market...it is market meat, somebody is paying for it.  Sport hunted meat is that individual & his family's for consumption, or given to a friend....it is not sold. They can call it anything they want to in Europe, doesn't change reality from what it really is.  Meat is either free (sport)....or its not (market). Over here selling it is illegal, & it would certainly lead to a reduction in the deer herd & increased poaching....from any way you want to slice it.  There are laws here against wild meat being thrown in ditches, etc. & wasted.  People caught doing that should be arrested & fined the same as poachers & people selling wild game meat.  Those laws are on the books for a good reason, & they all help the herd, & the legal hunter. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 03, 2014, 12:13:22 am
Sport hunted meat....is not sold at butchers & markets.  When it is sold at a market...it is market meat, somebody is paying for it.  Sport hunted meat is that individual & his family's for consumption, or given to a friend....it is not sold. They can call it anything they want to in Europe, doesn't change reality from what it really is.  Meat is either free (sport)....or its not (market). Over here selling it is illegal, & it would certainly lead to a reduction in the deer herd & increased poaching....from any way you want to slice it.  There are laws here against wild meat being thrown in ditches, etc. & wasted.  People caught doing that should be arrested & fined the same as poachers & people selling wild game meat.  Those laws are on the books for a good reason, & they all help the herd, & the legal hunter. 

Live in your own small world if you want, but there are plenty of other ways of doing things around the world that work just fine.  None of the meat from animals I shot in Africa ever belonged to me either.  I suppose you think everyone going to Africa is market hunting as well, huh.  Hunting for sport really has nothing to do with were the meat ends up, except in whatever confines you want to place on it.  So I guess you can call it whatever you want, doesn't change the realities of a far bigger world outside the state of Arkansas.

Old Tusk

Seems to me their real problem is with the Health Dept. They are probably out of business already. Major food safety violation.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 03, 2014, 12:44:32 am

Live in your own small world if you want, but there are plenty of other ways of doing things around the world that work just fine.  None of the meat from animals I shot in Africa ever belonged to me either.  I suppose you think everyone going to Africa is market hunting as well, huh.  Hunting for sport really has nothing to do with were the meat ends up, except in whatever confines you want to place on it.  So I guess you can call it whatever you want, doesn't change the realities of a far bigger world outside the state of Arkansas.

This is not Africa, or Europe......it is Arkansas that I was talking about, & the laws that pertain to it.  Although there may be exceptions,  many other states probably have similar laws against selling most wild game meat.  Bet most of the people on this site don't get to hunt Africa/Europe much....so I guess most of us do live in......"the small little world" you refer to.  The point is.......selling wild game meat would increase poaching, which is not good for the deer herd or legal hunters. That is why the law is on the books. Example being the couple with the Taco stand buying deer meat from what they thought were poachers....& is illegal. This is evidently not just my opinion, but also the wildlife depts. & lawmakers.  Guess they live in a small world too.

kodiakisland

Unregulated selling of game is what can lead to poaching.  Regulated selling of game does not, as evidenced by the many countries that do it with no problem.  To say that one will lead to the other is as wrong as saying gun ownership leads to crime.  You can not believe it if you want or not acknowledge things can be done in different ways and still get good results.  My responses to you are based completely on your statement that one always leads to the other.  Not anything to do with the guy selling tamales or current AR game and fish policies.  I've been around enough to know the two don't always go together. 

Another thing,  the linked story says nothing about them thinking they were buying from poachers.  What leads you to believe that?  One would think winter would be the best time to get surplus deer meat harvested legally.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 03, 2014, 12:49:19 pm

Unregulated selling of game is what can lead to poaching.  Regulated selling of game does not, as evidenced by the many countries that do it with no problem.  To say that one will lead to the other is as wrong as saying gun ownership leads to crime.  You can not believe it if you want or not acknowledge things can be done in different ways and still get good results.  My responses to you are based completely on your statement that one always leads to the other.  Not anything to do with the guy selling tamales or current AR game and fish policies.  I've been around enough to know the two don't always go together.[/b] 

Another thing,  the linked story says nothing about them thinking they were buying from poachers.  What leads you to believe that? One would think winter would be the best time to get surplus deer meat harvested legally.

Of course this has something to do with the AGFC policies & the tamale stand selling deer meat.  That is where the subject of selling the wild game meat came up & included in the title of this thread. Arkansas's policy & law is against the selling of wild game/deer meat, you indicated it may not always lead to poaching,  & use Europe as an example. AGFC & lawmakers evidently believe much differently, & don't think this is Europe. They want no part of the legal selling of deer meat.

You don't really "regulate" illegal activity, you try & stop it.  It's already illegal in Arkansas to sell deer meat, & for a good reason. Law says don't buy & sell the meat at all. No market, no demand.

First to answer your question of how do we know the couple at the Tamale stand thought they were buying the illegal deer meat from poachers?  Thought this was pretty plain. Since it is illegal to buy & sell any deer meat in Arkansas.....who do you think they believed they were buying the meat from....a law abiding citizen complying with the law, or a poacher/illegal hunter/etc.?  It's not just your average Joe that happens to have several deer on hand to sell to a Tamale stand.  Of course this buying & selling would lead to more poaching, that is just common sense. As mentioned before, the article says they bought it from undercover wildlife agents.... who were evidently posing as poachers/illegal hunters/etc. Probably not the first time this couple had bought illegal deer meat, but maybe their last.

The law is made to squash the demand for deer meat on the market place, by saying you cannot buy or sell it. Pretty simple.  Talk to the AGFC & the lawmakers about these laws, tell them this won't lead to poaching, I didn't write these laws. Tell them that's not the way it's done in Europe. Tell them they must live in a small world... as you indicated I did. Of course you might get the same sort of answer from them, such as... allowing the buying & selling of meat would encourage more poaching/shooting out of season/killing over the legal limit/spotlighting, etc. Maybe that's why they have this law....just like most other states?  Maybe it would be hard & very expensive for the states to regulate & monitor? Maybe it would lead to people trying to make money from the illegal taking of deer?  When there is money to be made, the activity, of course... will increase. This would sooner or later take its toll on the deer herd.  If it was good for the state deer herd, the wildlife officials would probably be all for the sale of the meat. Common sense tells us, not so.

What do you actually mean when you say winter would be the best time to get "surplus harvested deer meat legally"??  Surplus??  You mean more meat that someone needed or could use, yet they kill more deer anyway?  Exactly my point.  More deer would be shot & sold because of the market for it, & money. Probably more shot both legally & illegally. Not sure it will matter what time of the year it is, certainly won't to poachers. Probably the only thing that will be of concern, is where to get a supply of the meat.....just like the couple at the Tamale stand.

kodiakisland

March 03, 2014, 07:29:51 pm #23 Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:20:06 pm by kodiakisland
Whatever dude.  I'll bow to your belief that the AR game and fish is the gold standard when it comes to game management and what is working at many places really isn't.  Your lack of knowledge and resistance to learn about how things are done successfully in other places severely limits the ability to discuss the issue.  I'll leave it to you.

Nowhere in any of my posts have I advocated that Arkansas should change any law to allow buying and selling of meat.  You are the one who said it couldn't be done in any way that would work.  I've merely tried to point out not only can it be, but currently is done successfully in many places.

One last thought.  Do you think legalizing MJ sales in Colorado increased or decreased illegal sales?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 03, 2014, 07:29:51 pm
Whatever dude.  I'll bow to your belief that the AR game and fish is the gold standard when it comes to game management and what is working at many places really isn't.  Your lack of knowledge and resistance to learn about how things are done successfully in other places severely limits the ability to discuss the issue.  I'll leave it to you.

Nowhere in any of my posts have I advocated that Arkansas should change any law to allow buying and selling of meat.  You are the one who said it couldn't be done in any way that would work.  I've merely tried to point out not only can it be, but currently is done successfully in many places.

One last thought.  Do you think legalizing MJ sales in Colorado increased or decreased illegal sales?

Lol.....you didn't say in so many words...that Arkansas should change their law, but you sure implied  it.  Who was the one that brought up how Europe did things different with the selling of wild game meat, etc.  & reference to living in our small world...(backward)& about how doing those things differently worked in other places, etc. Sure sounds like someone that was advocating change.  Didn't sound like someone that agreed with the current law. Anyway, that is your opinion that you are certainly entitled to.

Don't know if the Arkansas G&FC is the gold standard for management or not. Never said anything like that, but IMHO they are right about selling & buying deer meat in Arkansas. Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't write that law or have anything to do with getting it passed, only agree with it. I know that the (AGFC) can do some things better, (don't agree with everything they have done) but they have done a good job on the deer herd as a whole. Mentioned earlier that the deer population has gone from around 200,000 when I first started hunting as a kid.....to around 1,000,000 now.  I would call that pretty good management success, & evidence that they must know a little about what they are doing in that area. Arkansas is one of many states that has a similar law about selling & buying deer meat, so other states must have reached the same conclusion. 

The AGFC is ultimately the one that does not believe that selling & buying deer meat in
Arkansas will work, what I think doesn't really matter as to what is law. The deer herd seems to be doing fine in most parts of the state, hope they are working to help the areas of low deer numbers, become higher.  Know it will never be perfect, but the state population is night & day better than 45-50 years ago.

Before you call someone out again, about their lack of knowledge & resistance to learn things, inability to discuss with, etc...you may want to take a good look in the mirror.  You might be able to use a small dose of humble every now & then.

Don't know much about legalizing MJ sales in Colorado, or do I care.  That's their problem.  Only thing that I would venture to guess......is that down the road, the result will be more tax money for that state,  more people smoking pot, & probably smoking more of it.  If that's a good thing or not, you & Colorado decide.

kodiakisland

No.  I never implied any such thing.  Maybe you should go back and reread a few things.  The main reason you can't buy or sell wild game is the same reason you can't butcher a cow yourself and sell it.  The USDA controls that, not the states.  It would take major regulation and change to ever reach a point that that could happen.

Yes, I did bring up Europe as they are able to do the exact thing you say can't be done.  That is why I brought it up.  Because they do exactly what you say can't be done.  With very little poaching.  Certainly no poaching to sell meat.  Having a legal seller and legal buyer, well regulated, makes it pretty dang hard for any poacher to ever sell anything.  The fact that you want to pretend that doesn't happen is why I commented about the small world you live in.  You act as though if it doesn't happen in Arkansas, it doesn't happen.

I could explain it to you in detail how it works, but again you are clear that you have no interest.  You'd rather pretend it doesn't happen.

As far as humble, yeah, I'm an ass some times, but at least I know it.  Doesn't bother me much.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 04, 2014, 01:39:22 am

No.  I never implied any such thing.  Maybe you should go back and reread a few things.  The main reason you can't buy or sell wild game is the same reason you can't butcher a cow yourself and sell it.  The USDA controls that, not the states.  It would take major regulation and change to ever reach a point that that could happen.

Yes, I did bring up Europe as they are able to do the exact thing you say can't be done.  That is why I brought it up.  Because they do exactly what you say can't be done.  With very little poaching.  Certainly no poaching to sell meat.  Having a legal seller and legal buyer, well regulated, makes it pretty dang hard for any poacher to ever sell anything.  The fact that you want to pretend that doesn't happen is why I commented about the small world you live in.  You act as though if it doesn't happen in Arkansas, it doesn't happen
I could explain it to you in detail how it works, but again you are clear that you have no interest.  You'd rather pretend it doesn't happen.

As far as humble, yeah, I'm an ass some times, but at least I know it.  Doesn't bother me much.

Yes, you did imply it.  Maybe you need to reread your posts. You are still implying in this latest post...that the Europe way of selling game meat is a smarter & better , & would work better for us here.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion ...but after posting it, don't deny it.

There are several reasons you can't buy & sell meat in Arkansas.  If it was only because of health issues, the undercover wildlife officers wouldn't need to be involved at all like the Tamale stand.   The USDA probably has a lot more agents than the wildlife dept., & does plenty of investigations on its own. The wildlife people could just turn over any suspected wild meat sales they hear about to the USDA & let them handle it. You don't seem to be able to accept the simple fact that there are people here that would shoot deer illegally to sell for a profit if there was a market for that meat.  Maybe this is another reason why it is illegal. If it is illegal to buy & sell that wild meat.....it eliminates, or reduces that possibility.  Bet the USDA does not want to have to go around & try to regulate wild game at every place it could be sold or prepared.  More than likely, they already have enough to worry about.  Now, concerning most wild game issues,  they probably just show when a violation is reported.

Yes, much of Europe is different than Arkansas, & I am sure things are done different there.  Probably more people with guns here in comparison with the population of many of those countries, more guns per person, more public land here to hunt on, easier access to hunt that land, or poach without being caught on private land.  Happens all the time. These things makes it easy for some to poach game here.  A market for wild meat would increase that. I have nothing to do with what laws are on the books, & have no say in whether or not Europe's model is used here.  If you think that Europe's model is so great.....why aren't most of the other states modeling it??  Must be a good reason that such a grand plan is not being used in every state.  Guess those other states.....are "just in their small world"....too.  Guess you need to speak to them about this issue.

I never said...."it didn't happen".  Where did you get that?? I certainly believe you when you say it happens in Europe, but that doesn't mean it is happening here, & so far, its not.  In fact, it doesn't seem to be happening here in most states.  Not sure why that somehow when this is "not happening", is due to my not believing that it would work great in Arkansas.  You need to talk to the AGFC, USDA & the other states Game & Fish, not me...  for it "not happening.   ??? 

I respect your opinion Kodiak, but at this time....just don't agree with you on this.

kodiakisland

Allright.  I'll let it drop after this.  Never did I say or imply that I would want to be able to buy or sell wildlife in Arkansas or the the way it's done in Europe is better.  You read that into it.  Maybe it's my fault as the internet is a poor form of communication, but there was absolutely no means on my part to imply any of the things you think I did.

I think the biggest problem here is you are trying to apply the way you know things to what I am talking about.  They are obviously two different things.  In the countries I've hunted in that allow game to be sold, it actually lowers poaching as it reduces demand for any illegal meat supply.  I realize you can't see that because you are applying it to the way things currently are here.  It is two completely different systems.  I guess you have to see it to understand, or believe it works.  There is no market for illegal meat and no means of selling it.  If anything, poaching there is for personal supply, not for profit.

Just because I know a system that allows meat to be sold works doesn't mean I think that's what we should do here.  Yet anyway.  Part of understanding it is also understanding why it's allowed and encouraged.  We are far from being in those situations that would warrant it.  There are far more pressing issues I have problems with.  It's no problem at all to find discarded ducks during duck season.  Hunters are allowed to draw blood on as many deer as they want as long as they don't find them. Etc., etc.

Anyway, I'll let it drop as we are obviously talking circles around each other without getting our points across.

DeltaBoy

I understand the dangers of returning to a open Meat market for wild game.  So let the Health Dept deal with Road Side Tamales and the Game and Fish focus on bigger issues.  They went looking for trouble and offered them deer meat.

HogBreath

What if they had been selling tacos, or venison pizza maybe?  Would that have had any bearing on their case?  Was it just the tamale selling per se?

And it sounds like they may have been slinging a few tamales out the window, business was brisk it sounds like.  What happens to those people?  Where they gonna get their tamales now?

I know they have the coon supper in Gillette, ok to have a big bar-bq starring ole ring tail, but venison is off limits?

Rzbakfromwaybak

March 04, 2014, 04:38:09 pm #30 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:45:13 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: HogBreath on March 04, 2014, 02:56:31 pm

What if they had been selling tacos, or venison pizza maybe?  Would that have had any bearing on their case?  Was it just the tamale selling per se?

And it sounds like they may have been slinging a few tamales out the window, business was brisk it sounds like.  What happens to those people?  Where they gonna get their tamales now?

I know they have the coon supper in Gillette, ok to have a big bar-bq starring ole ring tail, but venison is off limits?

Lol....yeah, that's a good point about that coon supper in Gillette being ok.  Believe that coon supper has been going on for a long time.  Maybe they consider them a varmint, but I thought they were considered a fur bearing animal?  Who knows, maybe they claim that they are not killing or trapping any of those coons, they're all road kill.

Be interesting to learn the whole story on how the wildlife dept. found out about that Tamale stand serving deer meat.  They evidently had been serving it for awhile. Somebody certainly turned them in....before the undercover officers showed up trying to sell them the deer meat. You can bet wildlife officers don't just drive around Arkansas, looking for tamale, hamburger stands,  Dairy Queens, etc....trying to sell venison.  Must have been turned in by a dissatisfied customer.  Probably put too much hot sauce on their tamale, etc....or maybe got hold of some tough ole buck meat, instead of the tender doe they are accustomed to from that place of business.  Just goes to show...... that it pays to please the customer.

Next time I see a wildlife officer at any kind of a restaurant, etc.... believe I will sit at the table next to the officer...speak loud enough to be heard....order venison, & see what happens.  When the waitress says they don't serve venison.....I could say... well, sure thought I got it the last time I was here.....then get up & leave.

PonderinHog

You can have all the wild game banquets you want and charge admission, but you can't can't sell to the general public.  (I think that's how it works, anyway.)

Hawgon

Selling meat in Europe works and no, it isn't an open market, it is simply a very regulated market that allows the selling of game meat.  And, yes, it is still sport hunting.  Hunters in Europe aren't making any profit on the sale of their animals, they simply are allowed to sell them if they wish.  The costs of the hunt FAR exceeds any profit they could possibly make on the animals.

There are a few differences though.  Hunting in Europe is FAR more expensive and regulated in general than it is here.  Game laws are much tougher and it is much more difficult to poach.  Plus, in Germany at least, the respect for the rule of law is such, that I doubt one could find anyone willing to buy a poached animal even if they knew that they faced very little chance of being caught.

As hunting becomes more regulated and increasingly more expensive, I don't see too much problem with allowing the limited sale of game here in the US.  You have to provide a tag with every carcass you take to the processor and he has to keep it on hand while he has the deer.  I see no reason why those who sold deer meat couldn't do the same.  A legal market for deer would no more increase the demand for poached deer than the lack of one does now.

PonderinHog

Hogsenburg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 04, 2014, 09:23:48 am
I understand the dangers of returning to a open Meat market for wild game.  So let the Health Dept deal with Road Side Tamales and the Game and Fish focus on bigger issues.  They went looking for trouble and offered them deer meat.

Bottom line here is AGFC officers were doing their job......the job of dealing with dear meat being sold is the Wildlife officers responsibility.......My dad has been on a few undercover deals such as this.....was a WLO for nearly 30 years

talley

i aint gonna lie... their tamales/tacos were delicious lol

Hogsenburg

Quote from: talley on March 05, 2014, 02:07:43 pm
i aint gonna lie... their tamales/tacos were delicious lol

+1 anything with deer meat in it has to be good

LSUFan

If the State was getting their kickback, they wouldn't care if you were making chinese baby tamales.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DeltaBoy

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol....yeah, liked the report.  Said the owner claimed he got the deer meat from customers that brought it in themselves, & wanted him to prepare & cook it for them.  Guess those undercover wildlife officers were just regular customers, putting in an order for some of those good tamales.  Wonder when the officers will be coming back for their special order?

Deer tamales off the menu now......new favorite is "Roadkill Chili".  Doesn't say what kind of meat, only that is gathered locally. Throw in enough Chili Powder, jalapenos & spices.....hard to tell what kind of meat is really in there. 

Dillar Dog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 17, 2014, 01:11:39 pm
http://www.katv.com/story/24995291/n-arkansas-tamale-stand-reopens-after-arrests

They are back open and passed the Health Dept inspection

So they really weren't arrested for making the tamales, they were arrested for selling them without the proper credentials.

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 17, 2014, 06:28:24 pm

Lol....yeah, liked the report.  Said the owner claimed he got the deer meat from customers that brought it in themselves, & wanted him to prepare & cook it for them.  Guess those undercover wildlife officers were just regular customers, putting in an order for some of those good tamales.  Wonder when the officers will be coming back for their special order?

Deer tamales off the menu now......new favorite is "Roadkill Chili".  Doesn't say what kind of meat, only that is gathered locally. Throw in enough Chili Powder, jalapenos & spices.....hard to tell what kind of meat is really in there. 

Heard next week they will have a chicken pot pie on the menu made with woodpeckers.  Should be tasty.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 17, 2014, 06:43:43 pm
Heard next week they will have a chicken pot pie on the menu made with woodpeckers.  Should be tasty.
I heard Bald Eagles.

Dillar Dog

HogBreath

Yeah, heard they were gonna bill it as the chicken (that didn't cross the road) pot pie.  New appetizer also..the awesome possum.

Rzbakfromwaybak

March 18, 2014, 12:31:28 am #46 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:50:36 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 17, 2014, 06:42:35 pm

So they really weren't arrested for making the tamales, they were arrested for selling them without the proper credentials.

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Well, there were multiple violations. They were arrested for buying & selling wildgame..... as the original article states, against the law.  Making the tamales with deer meat (also against the law) is what got the Health Dept. involved.  They evidently had to come in & inspect the place after it was closed, & make sure things were sanitary enough to start up business again.  Since the deer meat was not inspected by the proper department,(another violation) always a chance the meat can be contaminated....that is being sold to the public.

Big Papa Satan

Ivory billed, at that.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 18, 2014, 12:31:28 am
Well, there were multiple violations. They were arrested for buying & selling wildgame..... as the original article states, against the law.  Making the tamales with deer meat (also against the law) is what got the Health Dept. involved.  They evidently had to come in & inspect the place after it was closed, & make sure things were sanitary enough to start up business again.  Since the deer meat was not inspected by the proper department,(another violation) always a chance the meat can be contaminated....that is being sold to the public.

Exactly.  They weren't arrested for making deer tamales.

The facts wouldn't fit the agenda though.

DeltaBoy

IMO the State entrapped them.  Glad they are back in business.