Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish stink bait suggestions?

Started by ldfergu, January 08, 2014, 11:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

Tried one off of YouTube that sucked. Anyone have the recipe for the tried and true?

Wayne Watson

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on January 08, 2014, 11:24:35 am
Tried one off of YouTube that sucked. Anyone have the recipe for the tried and true?

I prefer gold fish.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

howie76

We just sour chopped corn and throw it out where we are fishing, works very good in lake earling

howie76

Forgot to add that we fish with liver soaked with garlic salt after we chum with the soured corn.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: howie76 on January 08, 2014, 05:57:21 pm
Forgot to add that we fish with liver soaked with garlic salt

Put it on the grill.  Damn good waste of liver!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

TechHog

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TechHog on January 09, 2014, 09:50:09 am
Chicken hearts on a treble hook.

NOOO  Soak in Buttermilk , bread with seasoned flour and deep fry they are better than Gizzards and not as strong tasting as livers.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HawgWild

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 09, 2014, 02:35:03 pm
NOOO  Soak in Buttermilk , bread with seasoned flour and deep fry they are better than Gizzards and not as strong tasting as livers.

But does it stay on the hook?  ;)

Pudgepork

Quote from: HawgWild on January 09, 2014, 02:44:25 pm
But does it stay on the hook?  ;)

It will if you pilfer a pair of the wife's panty hose and cut
small squares.   Tie up in little bundles and can fish long
time

micali

I've used the BJ brand but that was in a stocked pond.  It worked well.

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

pigture perfect

I used some homemade stuff several years ago, the main ingredients were chicken blood, cut shad and Cattail blooms blended together. The man let it ferment for 2 years in a 55 gallon drum. You didn't want to get any of it on your hands.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JaketheSnake

DeltaBoy

Pigasaurus

Trotlined for years on Ouachita River.  Caught thousands of blue, channel and flathead and never used stink bait.  We use combo of seined crawfish, cut shad, soft dogfood, catalpa worms and small bream for the flatheads.  Friend of mine uses shiners and catches lots of crappie late winter and early spring.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

tophawg19

catfish charlie on lakes .. on rivers i like sardines mixed with canned dog food, soured corn and zote soap. mixed and put in strips of panty hose so it doesn't wash off . it leaves a great scent trail and visual trail so you see what areas your reaching . i also like to add food coloring /easter egg dye tablets to it . on lakes i throw in alka seltzer type tablets for noise to speed up location by fish
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

CPO Hog

I use Catfish Charlie B (red lable). My best resutls have been in shallow water between sunset and 11pm. I stretch a tight line between a couple trees, rocks or whatever I can tie to. I keep the lines 20-30 feet long so I can get it tight. I tie it about 6" under water. I use quick clip drops with treble hooks and place them 18-24" apart. I always keep extra drops, so when I hook a fish I unclip the drop and flip it in the boad then put another drop on to keep fishing. If they are biting good, 3 or 4 lines will keep you busy. You can fish like this on rivers if you set them close to but out of the current.

Albert Einswine

Several years ago I saw some dudes on Lake Charles running their lines and they cleaning up on cats. When they re-baited they were putting some kind of white square on the hook. I trolled over closer and struck up a conversation so I could find out what they were using. Turns out it was bar soap. They said you pop a bar of soap in the microwave just long enough to soften it up, slice it into pats and stick a toothpick right through the center and let it harden back up. Sounds crazy but it was working for them.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Randy Johnson

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 17, 2014, 06:43:07 am
Several years ago I saw some dudes on Lake Charles running their lines and they cleaning up on cats. When they re-baited they were putting some kind of white square on the hook. I trolled over closer and struck up a conversation so I could find out what they were using. Turns out it was bar soap. They said you pop a bar of soap in the microwave just long enough to soften it up, slice it into pats and stick a toothpick right through the center and let it harden back up. Sounds crazy but it was working for them.

my grandpa told me this, I carried soap in my tackle box
never caught anything with it but it did keep Mom from complainin about the smell
when I came home

Randy Johnson

Razorworld Kitty Fish Food

STEP 1: Mix 1 pound of rotten minnows/crawdads or liver, ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup parmesean cheese, 1 box of jello (cherry is good), 1/4 cup molasses, 3 tablespoons of onion salt, 3 tablespoons of garlic salt, 1/2 cup of corn meal, 1/2 cup of flour, and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce... all in a blender! Used to do it by hand.

STEP 2: Once it's mixed, put it in a big bowl.

STEP 3: Work it into a big stinky batch of dough, adding water or corn meal to thin or thicken.

STEP 4: Grab a small chunk of the stuff, put it on a hook.

Pudgepork

on that catfish Charlie stuff.   Make sure you never, ever put some of that on a
tongue depressor and accidently get it waaaaaay up into the heater vents on your
friends truck.     Not that I'm speaking from experience.  But it will cause a person
to trade vehicles.

Großer Kriegschwein

Blood from the butcher, just order it a few days out so it can set up in the cooler. Phenominal for trotline fishing (doesn't work with a rod and reel very well). Aside from that, cut shad or live shad over the channel of a river and wait for a big Flattie or Blue.
This is my non-signature signature.

CPO Hog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on February 04, 2014, 02:18:12 pm
Blood from the butcher, just order it a few days out so it can set up in the cooler. Phenominal for trotline fishing (doesn't work with a rod and reel very well). Aside from that, cut shad or live shad over the channel of a river and wait for a big Flattie or Blue.
Years ago my uncle would get 2 gallons, pour 1/2 box of salt in each gallon and let is set in the friz overnight. It would firm it up. We would then cut it in slices about thumb size for use on treble hooks. This is where I learned to use short, tight lines just under the water's surface. We always caught a boat load of cats.