Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snagging

Started by the_kosher_pig, June 18, 2013, 10:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

the_kosher_pig

Went my first time a month ago and I've been hooked.

Using a Meat Hunter 13' Heavy Action single piece pole
http://www.rfsportsinc.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=4&Category_ID=1
I'm using the MHR1301S I believe. 

and a Bass Pro Reel
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Snagging-Special-Levelwind-Reel/product/10206806/?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RSDP&cm_pla=10206806&cm_ite=additionalquestions_productname

This is was the result of my first few hours at Lock and Dam 3 in Grady:

Anyone else snag?  What's it like around the Big Dam Bridge?  I'm moving there next month and would like to continue snagging. :D
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

covert

I use to go all the time but it's a young mans game. Three biggest flatheads i ever caught was snagging. I had 3 over 60 pounds and one of them was over 70. The last few times i went it was just to take my son and i prayed the whole time i wouldn't hang in to one of those big flatheads. He is old enough to go by himself now so i let him have it. He brings in some big ones time to time.

pigture perfect

It's been awhile, but it is fun. That is a good haul.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OldCoot

When I was a kid me and a buddy would go below the spillway at Lake conway and snag shad.  It was fun as hell for a young kid.

micali

We use to go when I was a kid and snag spoonbill 3x the size of the one in the pic 60+lbs.  Those are fun to catch.   

the_kosher_pig

Bump for a new question.

I used Mechanix gloves for this past summer.  It ruined the gloves quickly.  Does anyone have a preference on a snagging glove?  Obviously I'm not burning my thumbprints off trying to hold the reel without one. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

HawgWild

Why go snagging when you can go noodling?

micali

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on January 24, 2014, 10:58:18 am
Bump for a new question.

I used Mechanix gloves for this past summer.  It ruined the gloves quickly.  Does anyone have a preference on a snagging glove?  Obviously I'm not burning my thumbprints off trying to hold the reel without one. 
You must be using small equipment?  We used ocean rods with 110lb test and they worked awesome.  Except when you snagged a log and then you had to twist the line around our boat cleat and break it.   We didn't have to worry about the spool doing anything fast. 

caneybuck

Years ago when I lived close to Russellville I would go down to the lock and dam and just watch the guys snag.  It was a lot of fun just watching! I didn't have the equipment to try it myself.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Yeah, I do a lot of snagging every time I go fishing.   Sometimes brush, sometimes logs & trees, but it amounts to the same thing.  Been trying to get those crappie to stay away from all those brush piles, but they rarely cooperate.  Probably get a kick out of watching me snag my jigs & little curly worms on their brush piles.  Bet some of those look like Christmas trees, with all the ornaments I have hung on them....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.