Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not your usual ninth grader

Started by The Recruiting Guy, November 06, 2012, 01:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Not real big on writing about a freshman but after talking to several people I respect and seeing the kid in person on Saturday it's hard to ignore a kid that looks like Austin.

http://recruiting.arpreps.com/2012/11/06/star-citys-capps-showing-out-as-a-freshman/

SixtySecondsOfPitino

"What he did in junior high football, it was child abuse," Brown said. "It was child abuse... what he did to kids."

Ha.  That's great.

jesterzzn

My one reservation is that its all come easy for him so far.  How will he respond when he goes up against a guy his size that hits him in the mouth?

Maybe he already has, but like I said, that's my one concern with guys that get their size early.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rmcchris

I have a ninth grader for you to look up.  Blake Mitchell.  He did go to my son's school until the #1 ranked private power house took him this year (Ensworth, TN).  Plays most snaps at the varsity level as a 9th grader.  5 ft 11, 255, size 14 shoes, not fat and fast for his size.  Will be an SEC player for sure.  AR I hope?

yraciv

Quote from: rmcchris on November 12, 2012, 12:44:44 pm
I have a ninth grader for you to look up.  Blake Mitchell.  He did go to my son's school until the #1 ranked private power house took him this year (Ensworth, TN).  Plays most snaps at the varsity level as a 9th grader.  5 ft 11, 255, size 14 shoes, not fat and fast for his size.  Will be an SEC player for sure.  AR I hope?

Hard to project a 5'11, 255 lineman, and it doesn't look like he has played much as of yet. Get back at us when he fills out.

cc

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 07, 2012, 10:55:24 pm
My one reservation is that its all come easy for him so far.  How will he respond when he goes up against a guy his size that hits him in the mouth?

Maybe he already has, but like I said, that's my one concern with guys that get their size early.

He has moved up to Senior high and handled some decent size offensive linemen well.  He is a real respectful and mild mannered kid.  I wondered how this would work out and he handled it well when some guys have tried to cheap shot him or cut him.  He can get a mean streak on the field when he needs to.  His quickness and understanding of the game as a 9th grader is unreal.

He is probably an equally as good a baseball player.  He has spent as much or more time in baseball than football over the last several years.  This maybe has helped him with his quickness. 

His Dad went to play for Lacewell at ASU in the late 80's as a tightend. 

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Germx

Is he full grown?  Easy to dominate in junior high if you are shaving

cc

Nope.  He has plenty of room to grow.  He is still 14

Germx

Doesn't matter how old he is.  Does he have facial hair?

IronHog

Quote from: Germx on November 17, 2012, 07:40:51 pm
Doesn't matter how old he is.  Does he have facial hair?

He is 6-5 275.

Even if he is an early bloomer you'll know in plenty of time what he's going to be..... not like Mack Brown filling his roster early with Texas kids that never get much bigger, faster, or stronger in college.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ramseyhog

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2012, 07:51:03 pm

He is 6-5 275.

Even if he is an early bloomer you'll know in plenty of time what he's going to be..... not like Mack Brown filling his roster early with Texas kids that never get much bigger, faster, or stronger in college.

Size speed and strength is never a problem at Texas they miss good talent because there is so much talent in the state.

The reason people find it so hard to be happy is they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be. -Marcel Pagnol

IronHog

Quote from: ramseyhog on November 17, 2012, 08:08:04 pm
Size speed and strength is never a problem at Texas they miss good talent because there is so much talent in the state.

No, they load up early on kids that come out of huge programs and many end up having limited upside........

When you play in a college quality program in HS you may not get much better in college.......

ramseyhog

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2012, 08:11:37 pm
No, they load up early on kids that come out of huge programs and many end up having limited upside........

When you play in a college quality program in HS you may not get much better in college.......

Over 400 D1 players will come out of Texas and all have upside and downside but it sure helps to sign 4,5,and high 3 stars players.Texas also takes 2A,3A and private school league players (Jesuit in Dallas is the only private school that plays public schools in the DFW area).Lots of Texas HS players in the NFL .I spent 10 yrs in DFW area and it is amazing how many very good teams there are,its a big deal and they are all in.You have to be good at all areas of the game to make it to the top of any class even 2A.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be. -Marcel Pagnol

IronHog

Quote from: ramseyhog on November 17, 2012, 10:32:49 pm
Over 400 D1 players will come out of Texas and all have upside and downside but it sure helps to sign 4,5,and high 3 stars players.Texas also takes 2A,3A and private school league players (Jesuit in Dallas is the only private school that plays public schools in the DFW area).Lots of Texas HS players in the NFL .I spent 10 yrs in DFW area and it is amazing how many very good teams there are,its a big deal and they are all in.You have to be good at all areas of the game to make it to the top of any class even 2A.

For the 900th time don't confuse great programs with great football players.

LJHOG

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2012, 10:45:49 pm

The only program I can think of in Texas to which that applies is Odessa Permian.  Their program is built on a system the kids start playing in junior high.  Every other "great program" in Texas is built on players.

IronHog

Quote from: LJHOG on November 18, 2012, 03:40:22 am
The only program I can think of in Texas to which that applies is Odessa Permian.  Their program is built on a system the kids start playing in junior high.  Every other "great program" in Texas is built on players.

Programs that recruit Texas are falling behind programs that recruit the deep south..... clearly a reason for that.

Germx

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2012, 10:45:49 pm

Don't kid yourself. Great high school programs......take great players to get them there.  The state of Texas has both.  There is good reason why so many D1 players  from Texas are playing at Major colleges across the country, & in the NFL.  I hope our Hogs will always recruit well there. We have had many great Razorbacks come from that state to play for us.  Mack Brown's team can only sign 25 a year....& he doesn't always get the best ones. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2012, 08:11:37 pm

So, you are saying......it's better to play in a smaller, average or below average program in high school...so you have room for improvement in college??  My guess is that nearly every Major college recruiter would disagree with you on that.  Smaller & average size programs do produce some great players......but players that are good enough to start/play for huge/great programs, usually have better coaching & competition. Those players will usually have a better success rate at making good players in college.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.