Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UNLV passes on Oregeron and Nutt

Started by husker71, December 04, 2014, 07:31:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

and selects Tony Sanchez per Las Vegas Review Journal.  Sanchez  is the ultra successful coach of Bishop Gorman High School.   Both Nutt and Oregeron publicly expressed interest in the job according to the report.  Another question for you guys   lots of DCs for hire but where is Michigans Doug Nussmeier headed??

Uncommon

Quote from: husker71 on December 04, 2014, 07:31:35 pm
and selects Tony Sanchez per Las Vegas Review Journal.  Sanchez  is the ultra successful coach of Bishop Gorman High School.   Both Nutt and Oregeron publicly expressed interest in the job according to the report.  Another question for you guys   lots of DCs for hire but where is Michigans Doug Nussmeier headed??
Florida would be a good guess.  McElwain and Nussmeir probably have similar philosophies.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HSVhogfan2

No way in hell a HS coach can be successful in college.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 04, 2014, 08:04:06 pm
Like Gerry Faust?  As an ND fan that one still stings!

Piney Woods Rooter

go hogues

Nutt publicly expressed interest in the job according to the report.
If you can't beat'm...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

IronMountainHog

So does Chad Morris the new coach at SMU. Oh, and that Briles guy.

oldhawg

Emory Ballard.  High school coach for 21 years.  Successful head coach at Texas A&M (48-27) for seven years followed by seven years at Mississippi State where, his record was about .500.  Credited by most with inventing the wishbone formation.

I am sure there others.

Also I am sure there are many unsuccessful head coaches at the collegiate level that were not high school coaches, to wit, Ed Orgeron.

jacobp

Hugh freeze used to coach freaking high school girls basketball

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jacobp on December 04, 2014, 08:54:29 pm
Hugh freeze used to coach freaking high school girls basketball
he is high school. 
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jackflash

Don't blame them for passing on Nutt. I would want someone from the west coast.

Uncommon

Don't know why UNLV hired a high school coach.  Most high school coaches succeed after some time spent as an assistant or coordinator.  They don't succeed going straight from high school to FBS.  If I was UNLV, I would take the route Colorado State took and that is to hire one of the top teams coordinators (offensive or defensive).  I'd just go down the list and call until someone takes the bait.  So here would be my short list:
1. Lane Kiffin
2. Kirby Smart
3. Scott Frost
4. Don Pellum
5. Sonny Cumbie

Because let's face it, if I'm a stepping stone program, I might as well take a coach who will want to have great success so they can get to the next tier of football programs.  Look at Arkansas State, since Hugh Freeze was hired, they've gone coordinator, coordinator, coordinator.

Some programs just overthink things.

Fayettechill14

Nutt is undeterred as Bishop Gorman HS is now open.

jmb1973

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 04, 2014, 09:27:31 pm

Bishop Gorman just released a statement banning Sonic from campus. Nutt rescinds application for position.

PigTimePlayer

You guys and your sucky spelling . . . it's Nutt is under-turd.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

ricepig

Quote from: Hogless on December 04, 2014, 08:23:18 pm
gus says hello!!

Gus went from high school to a head coach? Ask Todd Dodge from SLC, or Gerry Faust how big a step it is from high school head coach to college head coach, very few are successful.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I can hear it now: "I called that coach high school, brutha!"
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

jvanhorn

Well, if I remember right, not a sure thing at my age, didn't Guz M. basically go from a high school coach to Auburn.   I don't know if you would count one year sitting on your azz and not being allowed to coach and a year at Tulsa as being all that much experience.

WorfHog

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 05, 2014, 02:54:53 am
Well, if I remember right, not a sure thing at my age, didn't Guz M. basically go from a high school coach to Auburn.   I don't know if you would count one year sitting on your azz and not being allowed to coach and a year at Tulsa as being all that much experience.

Gus coached at Arkansas State the year before we was hired at Auburn.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: WorfHog on December 05, 2014, 10:48:54 am
Gus coached at Arkansas State the year before we was hired at Auburn.

And had a few years of experience of being a coordinator.  I think the original point was "going STRAIGHT from HS head coach to college head coach".  Has that ever been done in modern college football?

wildwolf

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on December 05, 2014, 10:59:13 am
And had a few years of experience of being a coordinator.  I think the original point was "going STRAIGHT from HS head coach to college head coach".  Has that ever been done in modern college football?
Todd Dodge, a legend in Texas high school coaching, went from Head Coach in high school to the head coaching position at the University of North Texas. He was, however, fired several years later.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: wildwolf on December 05, 2014, 11:09:28 am
Todd Dodge, a legend in Texas high school coaching, went from Head Coach in high school to the head coaching position at the University of North Texas. He was, however, fired several years later.

I think I remember that! It seems like they were pretty good in the Sun Belt before he got there.

I still think comparing head coach of high school year X to head coach of college football year x+1 is not quite the same as what Gus did.

You can find plenty of guys that did HS HC->College Coord->College HC with varying degrees of success.  Not many skip the coordinator step.

spiritof92

Dodge was horrible at North Texas.  There was a ton of hype with him bringing in a new offense but the enthusiasm died rather quickly.  They had the worst defense in college football every season and if I'm not mistaken you can literally count their wins under Dodge on one hand. 

EDIT: Just looked it up.  Dodge had a 6-37 record in 4 seasons at North Texas.  His tenure at North Texas was ranked 7th all time worst in all of college football in the BCS era by Athlon.

Uncommon

Quote from: spiritof92 on December 05, 2014, 12:49:59 pm
Dodge was horrible at North Texas.  There was a ton of hype with him bringing in a new offense but the enthusiasm died rather quickly.  They had the worst defense in college football every season and if I'm not mistaken you can literally count their wins under Dodge on one hand. 

EDIT: Just looked it up.  Dodge had a 6-37 record in 4 seasons at North Texas.  His tenure at North Texas was ranked 7th all time worst in all of college football in the BCS era by Athlon.
It's just stupid to hire head coaches straight out of high school to head coach.  College Football is a jungle compared to high school ball.  You will not survive.  It will consume you.

Dropkick

Has this hire been announced yet? I haven't seen anything official

Uncommon

Quote from: Dropkick on December 05, 2014, 03:03:58 pm
Has this hire been announced yet? I haven't seen anything official
Not official because he's finishing coaching at Bishop Gorman this season then will be announced head coach of UNLV early next week.

Inhogswetrust

I guess they never heard of Gerry Faust..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

husker71

didn't Dodge take his son with him as QB??  SLC was loaded back in the day