Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GoDaddy

Started by my3boneheads, December 02, 2014, 08:34:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Socks

Quote from: Sweet Feet on December 03, 2014, 07:45:16 pm
Georgia Southern put up more points and yards vs alabama in 2011 than anyone else that year, beat florida last year, and lost with 23secs left to now #11GT this year whos playing in the ACC title. App State was a perrenial FCS power like GaSo.

Just puttn things in perspective. These schools arent no slouch programs

It was great to get App State and Georgia Southern in replacement for the F_U twins.   These are two winning programs with large fan followings.  The Florida twins play in empty stadiums.

Two Socks

Quote from: Sweet Feet on December 03, 2014, 07:55:53 pm
I was gonna debate with you on this comment, but the way your football IQ is setup, its not worth it.

Guess he is feeling giddy since his team won more than 4 games and that they could have smoked ASU this season.    We obviously sucked.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Sweet Feet on December 03, 2014, 07:50:04 pm
now, think of the insecure hog fans on here and their irrational fear. That gets their blood pressure up. Dont rattle their feathers ok?

In 2015, We both play Toledo and Missouri, so the inevitable comparisons will be made.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

GolfNut57

Quote from: Two Socks on December 03, 2014, 11:49:31 pm
Guess he is feeling giddy since his team won more than 4 games and that they could have smoked ASU this season.    We obviously sucked.

Just sucked on run defense late in the year due to injuries is all.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 03, 2014, 11:51:31 pm
In 2015, We both play Toledo and Missouri, so the inevitable comparisons will be made.

A comparison will be made after the bowl game too. If we end up playing NIU. Of course the hogs were pretty much healthy when they played the Huskies. ASU is pretty beat up right now. That's one good thing about the bowl. With it still a month away ASU should be able to get a couple players back that have been out the last few weeks.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Rooka

Following ASU myself, It is fair to say we did have alot of injuries play a part in our season, but honestly I think even without those injuries, our record would be pretty similar. In my opinion, this is a huge credit to Blake Anderson, did a great job with hardly anything to work with on defense. Ga Southern and App State were great additions to the Sun Belt. My only worry for ASU is, it's hard to fill up a the stadium now even going to a bowl game for the 4th consecutive year in a row. They do average around 2nd or 3rd on average attendance to games in the Sun Belt, but even at that, it's not a good enough amount to further your program. The only reason the Red Wolves are bowling is because of a dumb NCAA rule.

Once Troy finds their feet again in the Sun Belt, and they will, you will have ULL, Troy, Ga Southern, and App State that should be consistently at the top of the conference. I do think ASU can stay right up there with them, but it's only going to get tougher from this point on...and if the Red Wolves start dropping games and going back to losing records, the attendance will go down even more.

Really, I think it is sad. There are alot of ASU fans that have a disdain for Arkansas, but alot are mutual fans. It's not just a coincidence that ASU tends to have more people in the stands when the Hogs are on a bye. Shoot, I am one of those people. I love to see ASU succeed and do well, but I am afraid that even with all the development going on with the program (new pressbox, football facility, etc.) there are some rough years ahead.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rooka on December 04, 2014, 07:43:06 am
    Following ASU myself, It is fair to say we did have alot of injuries play a part in our season, but honestly I think even without those injuries, our record would be pretty similar. In my opinion, this is a huge credit to Blake Anderson, did a great job with hardly anything to work with on defense. Ga Southern and App State were great additions to the Sun Belt. My only worry for ASU is, it's hard to fill up a the stadium now even going to a bowl game for the 4th consecutive year in a row. They do average around 2nd or 3rd on average attendance to games in the Sun Belt, but even at that, it's not a good enough amount to further your program. The only reason the Red Wolves are bowling is because of a dumb NCAA rule.

Once Troy finds their feet again in the Sun Belt, and they will, you will have ULL, Troy, Ga Southern, and App State that should be consistently at the top of the conference. I do think ASU can stay right up there with them, but it's only going to get tougher from this point on...and if the Red Wolves start dropping games and going back to losing records, the attendance will go down even more.

Really, I think it is sad. There are alot of ASU fans that have a disdain for Arkansas, but alot are mutual fans. It's not just a coincidence that ASU tends to have more people in the stands when the Hogs are on a bye. Shoot, I am one of those people. I love to see ASU succeed and do well, but I am afraid that even with all the development going on with the program (new pressbox, football facility, etc.) there are some rough years ahead.

Those teams you mentioned above will only help the Sunbelt get a stronger and better rep down the road and as an ASU fan I ain't sweating that because I know ASU is committed to doing what it takes to stay even with those teams. Gonna make the Belt teams tougher to beat for those other teams that think the Sunbelt is still a cupcake league. And after last Saturday ASU ended up in second for average attendance and just barely behind ULL in that regard. Think the numbers showed something around 24-25K per game average.

Rooka

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 04, 2014, 07:57:24 am
Those teams you mentioned above will only help the Sunbelt get a stronger and better rep down the road and as an ASU fan I ain't sweating that because I know ASU is committed to doing what it takes to stay even with those teams. Gonna make the Belt teams tougher to beat for those other teams that think the Sunbelt is still a cupcake league. And after last Saturday ASU ended up in second for average attendance and just barely behind ULL in that regard. Think the numbers showed something around 24-25K per game average.
Right and I agree. You always want to have the best competition so you can say you actually beat someone and not just steamroll the Ga State's of the world. It's just like the SEC, we went 6-6 in a league and division that was the best in the country. I wouldn't want to go to the Big 12 just to win more games due to the competition levels. I want to win playing the best....Anyway, My point is that 24-25K average I believe is the cap on attendance for the foreseeable future, because this has been reached after 3 straight conference championships and 4 consecutive bowl appearances. I don't see the trend continuing like that is all I am saying. ASU will compete, but it's inevitable like this year showed, things go in cycles. If you can keep that average during the down cycles, then you are doing something.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rooka on December 04, 2014, 08:02:57 am
Right and I agree. You always want to have the best competition so you can say you actually beat someone and not just steamroll the Ga State's of the world. It's just like the SEC, we went 6-6 in a league and division that was the best in the country. I wouldn't want to go to the Big 12 just to win more games due to the competition levels. I want to win playing the best....Anyway, My point is that 24-25K average I believe is the cap on attendance for the foreseeable future, because this has been reached after 3 straight conference championships and 4 consecutive bowl appearances. I don't see the trend continuing like that is all I am saying. ASU will compete, but it's inevitable like this year showed, things go in cycles. If you can keep that average during the down cycles, then you are doing something.

Well it remains to be seen what the fourth bowl in a row does for attendance since we have to wait until next season for that. And that average also includes games where we have had close to 30K for a game early this year. And keep in mind that we averaged that 24-25K despite not doing as well this year as we did in the three previous years. (could be looked at as a "down year") And ALL OF THAT with a new coach every year for the last four years. All it is going to take is getting some stability in the HC slot and I think you will see another rise in average attendance. Think of it.........how many teams can say they had four head coaches in four years and still went to a bowl each year? That should be rated as damn near impossible to do. Yet ASU has done it.

Rooka

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 04, 2014, 08:11:00 am
Well it remains to be seen what the fourth bowl in a row does for attendance since we have to wait until next season for that. And that average also includes games where we have had close to 30K for a game early this year. And keep in mind that we averaged that 24-25K despite not doing as well this year as we did in the three previous years. (could be looked at as a "down year") And ALL OF THAT with a new coach every year for the last four years. All it is going to take is getting some stability in the HC slot and I think you will see another rise in average attendance. Think of it.........how many teams can say they had four head coaches in four years and still went to a bowl each year? That should be rated as damn near impossible to do. Yet ASU has done it.
Absolutely. I think we are on the same page with that. As miraculous as this feat is, I am just saying it's not realistic to expect this success year in and year out. While this is a "down" year, there were still high expectations which is why as the season went on the attendance started to wane.   
   Anderson has the personality that this team/fanbase needed, and I think he is a decent coach on the field, but with all this success comes a curse. It becomes an expectation and ASU is not yet to that point where it can be realistically, but that is just my opinion.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rooka on December 04, 2014, 08:36:20 am
   Absolutely. I think we are on the same page with that. As miraculous as this feat is, I am just saying it's not realistic to expect this success year in and year out. While this is a "down" year, there were still high expectations which is why as the season went on the attendance started to wane.   
   Anderson has the personality that this team/fanbase needed, and I think he is a decent coach on the field, but with all this success comes a curse. It becomes an expectation and ASU is not yet to that point where it can be realistically, but that is just my opinion.

About those "high expectations". After going to your fourth coach in four years, anyone who had high expectations this year was being ridiculously optimistic. You HAVE to expect a downward trend after so many changes in the HC spot. Preseason this year I predicted 7-5 and nailed it. But I wasn't expecting a bowl when the season started so I am happy with the "gravy".

As for the success? Now that the ASU fan base has experienced it they won't be happy with anything less and will demand consistency in that regard. Not necessarily a bowl game every year. But at least win 7+ games per year. Jmo of course.

Rooka

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 04, 2014, 08:50:22 am
About those "high expectations". After going to your fourth coach in four years, anyone who had high expectations this year was being ridiculously optimistic. You HAVE to expect a downward trend after so many changes in the HC spot. Preseason this year I predicted 7-5 and nailed it. But I wasn't expecting a bowl when the season started so I am happy with the "gravy".

As for the success? Now that the ASU fan base has experienced it they won't be happy with anything less and will demand consistency in that regard. Not necessarily a bowl game every year. But at least win 7+ games per year. Jmo of course.
I actually thought it will be 6-6 myself, missing out on a bowl. I promise you, there were plenty of people/fans that were expecting a bowl of some sort. I understand the demand for success, I just wonder myself if when the demand isn't supplied, do the fans still come? There will always be a core that comes no matter what, but I don't think that number is 24-25K. Regardless, I see where you are coming from. I am just glad that this can be talked about without the meaningless "I hate the pigs", "Indians are the little brother", "The pigs are scared to play us", "Jonesboro is a dump", etc. etc. etc. It becomes more than tiresome, yet I bring it up in a post. Dug my own grave with that.

HogCzar1

There were folks who indeed predicted 9 wins for ASU this year. Some even had ASU as the best team in America outside the power 5 conferences.

ASU has had their best run the past 4 years with Malzahn and Freeze being unique fits for ASU. Blake Anderson is going to have his hands full in trying to maintain the recruiting level of the previous coaches. In addition, the Sun Belt the last few years has been weak. GaSo and App. St.  will be better programs than many in their league the past few years.

And please stop with the averaging 25,000 stuff. I was at the stadium the last 2 home games and there is no way there was half full attendance. Even the Jonesboro Sun referred to the home crowd in one of the last 2 games as sparse.

Two Socks

Obviously not butts in the seats.  They are using the tickets sold figures.  Typically November produces a lot of no-shows.

ricepig

Quote from: Two Socks on December 04, 2014, 09:47:05 pm
Obviously not butts in the seats.  They are using the tickets sold figures.  Typically November produces a lot of no-shows.

Tickets given away, don't you mean?

GolfNut57

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 04, 2014, 09:09:18 pm

And please stop with the averaging 25,000 stuff. I was at the stadium the last 2 home games and there is no way there was half full attendance. Even the Jonesboro Sun referred to the home crowd in one of the last 2 games as sparse.

Sparse? Ok..what number does it take to be considered as "sparse". 10,000? 15,000? Less than 10,000? The word sparse is really subjective to each persons opinion of what number it means. And nobody claimed that ASU averaged 25K the last two games. The claim was it was around 24-25K for the SEASON!

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2014, 07:01:14 am
Tickets given away, don't you mean?

Heaven knows tickets are never given away for Hog games. Right?

Rooka

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2014, 09:11:48 am
I do have to disagree with you there. You won't find many Red Wolf fans on StubHub when they know they can get handouts all over town. It's not a bash against A-State, because you do whatever you can to attract in the fans so they come back, but it's not even a comparison with Arkansas and Arkansas State on tickets.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rooka on December 05, 2014, 09:47:43 am
I do have to disagree with you there. You won't find many Red Wolf fans on StubHub when they know they can get handouts all over town. It's not a bash against A-State, because you do whatever you can to attract in the fans so they come back, but it's not even a comparison with Arkansas and Arkansas State on tickets.

Wasn't my point. Ricepig wanted to come across like it is only ASU that gives away tickets. I happen to know that the U of A did the same thing in 2013, especially for the game at WMS.

Barman91

Sonic in Jonesboro advertised, on it's store sign, $1.99 tickets for the most recent game.

wildwolf

When I was a kid, my family drove from Jonesboro to Fayetteville every year for a game. We NEVER bought a ticket. The banks and other businesses in Jonesboro bought blocks of tickets and gave them out. And, I am sure this was happening in towns all over the state. We usually got ours from the old Meyer's Bakery in Jonesboro.  A-State must have gotten the idea from the UofA when they were building their program.

ricepig

Not at Sonic, haha.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2014, 09:50:18 am
Wasn't my point. Ricepig wanted to come across like it is only ASU that gives away tickets. I happen to know that the U of A did the same thing in 2013, especially for the game at WMS.

Why, did you get some and go?

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2014, 11:37:06 am
Why, did you get some and go?

Nope............I was offered some but passed on em.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2014, 05:20:32 pm
Nope............I was offered some but passed on em.

Uh huh.....from whom?

HogCzar1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2014, 09:10:32 am
Sparse? Ok..what number does it take to be considered as "sparse". 10,000? 15,000? Less than 10,000? The word sparse is really subjective to each persons opinion of what number it means. And nobody claimed that ASU averaged 25K the last two games. The claim was it was around 24-25K for the SEASON!

The stadium holds 31,000. There has not yet been a game in that stadium in which every seat had a butt in it. The last 2 games were at best half full, and that's being charitable. ASU itself claimed 20,000 at one of the last games and that was a joke. To be fair, most schools will inflate the attendance numbers in lieu of "tickets sold". But Sonic or Krogers buying 2,000 tickets at $2 each or some such gimmick does not equate selling the tickets for face value.

ASU is one of the more egregious violators of this policy. The facts are that there is no way ASU averaged 25,000 a game butts in the seats for the season. No way.

Two Socks

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2014, 06:01:31 pm
The stadium holds 31,000. There has not yet been a game in that stadium in which every seat had a butt in it. The last 2 games were at best half full, and that's being charitable. ASU itself claimed 20,000 at one of the last games and that was a joke. To be fair, most schools will inflate the attendance numbers in lieu of "tickets sold". But Sonic or Krogers buying 2,000 tickets at $2 each or some such gimmick does not equate selling the tickets for face value.

ASU is one of the more egregious violators of this policy. The facts are that there is no way ASU averaged 25,000 a game butts in the seats for the season. No way.

Give me one G5 school that reports only "butts in the seats" in their attendance totals.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Two Socks on December 05, 2014, 07:27:03 pm

Give me one G5 school that reports only "butts in the seats" in their attendance totals.

Heck....I bet the majority of the P5 schools count tickets sold and not "butts n seats". That isn't just a G5 thing.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 05, 2014, 07:45:26 pm
Heck....I bet the majority of the P5 schools count tickets sold and not "butts n seats". That isn't just a G5 thing.

Why shouldn't they count tickets sold?  That's why they print them after all...to sell them...make money.

HogCzar1

Once again the issue here is actual attendance. If it makes people feel better that in order to claim a near sell out Sonic can buy all the tickets that's fine. The issue here is that the claim was made that the ASU attendance this year was about 25,000 on average per game. It wasn't. As I said earlier, ASU is not the only school that's does it. However, I have yet to see many other schools who can have an entire upper deck of one half of the stadium empty and yet claim an attendance to be 80 percent of capacity.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 05, 2014, 08:12:21 pm
Why shouldn't they count tickets sold?  That's why they print them after all...to sell them...make money.

I agree. That was my point.

Two Socks

Quote from: HogCzar1 on December 05, 2014, 08:37:24 pm
Once again the issue here is actual attendance. If it makes people feel better that in order to claim a near sell out Sonic can buy all the tickets that's fine. The issue here is that the claim was made that the ASU attendance this year was about 25,000 on average per game. It wasn't. As I said earlier, ASU is not the only school that's does it. However, I have yet to see many other schools who can have an entire upper deck of one half of the stadium empty and yet claim an attendance to be 80 percent of capacity.

ASU built that extra section of seating to meet the NCAA requirements.    At the time we averaged less than 15000 with actual somewhere between 6k-12k.  Actually we have come a long way towards eventually filling the joint.  I think the Missouri game next season may reach the goal of capacity.  ASU does great compared to the majority of their conterparts.   There have been a lot of empty looking stadiums on TV this season.

Hogfaniam

Technically, there are two counts required,  Tickets sold and actual attendance.  Fire marshalls require record of all public events like that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Two Socks on December 05, 2014, 09:38:20 pm
ASU built that extra section of seating to meet the NCAA requirements.    At the time we averaged less than 15000 with actual somewhere between 6k-12k.  Actually we have come a long way towards eventually filling the joint.  I think the Missouri game next season may reach the goal of capacity.  ASU does great compared to the majority of their conterparts.   There have been a lot of empty looking stadiums on TV this season.

Especially in November.

Two Socks

Quote from: wildwolf on December 05, 2014, 11:17:01 am
When I was a kid, my family drove from Jonesboro to Fayetteville every year for a game. We NEVER bought a ticket. The banks and other businesses in Jonesboro bought blocks of tickets and gave them out. And, I am sure this was happening in towns all over the state. We usually got ours from the old Meyer's Bakery in Jonesboro.  A-State must have gotten the idea from the UofA when they were building their program.

I never had to pay for a ticket to a hog game either.  My employer had a block of tickets.   Nice to have corporations kicking in on ticket sales.   I would have never paid money to see a Hog game but I wanted to see Peyton Manning play.  I pay for extra tickets from ASU cause I know they need support from alums.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Arkansas4ever on December 03, 2014, 02:59:08 pm
It does nothing for the state for Arkansas to play ASU.  The U of A already makes the state as much money as any other business out there.  Arkansas is almost done playing in the dump known as WMS.  ASU better just start a rival game with UCA because they are much closer to there level than the Hogs.  Heck ASU is closer to community college level the The YOU of A.  They average around 20k at their games while giving away thousands of tickets for free and hundreds for $1 at Sonic.  ASU brings nothing to the table.  Congrats to them for getting to the same bowl game because the top two teams in their conference just came up from D2. Heck ASU couldn't even get in CUSA which is now basically the Sun Belt.
You're the kind of fan that A-staters make fun of. It really does sound like you are scared. AND, I don't think you know ASU very well. There was a time when it didn't make sense to play them. Not so much any more. They are respectable.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Two Socks on December 05, 2014, 09:38:20 pm

It will be SRO.  Southern Mizzery fans may outnumber stAte fans. 

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 05, 2014, 10:51:10 pm
It will be SRO.  Southern Mizzery fans may outnumber stAte fans.

Heard the same thing when A-State played the lady Razorbacks in the WNIT in Jonesboro. Ended up a sellout and about 500 of the 10,000 in attendance were hog fans.

ricepig

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 06, 2014, 10:57:27 pm
Heard the same thing when A-State played the lady Razorbacks in the WNIT in Jonesboro. Ended up a sellout and about 500 of the 10,000 in attendance were hog fans.

Yeah, women's basketball and football are the same......Let me ask you this, how many of those chairs have seen a butt since then?

KaysFieldTouchdown

Didn't claim WBB and football were the same. The point was that ASU continues to disprove Hog logic.

Examples: ASU will never make it to a bowl much less win one. UCA has a stronger football program. ASU could never have a home field advantage against the Hogs (or now apparently Mizzou).

The Hogs don't sell out Bud Walton, Razorback stadium or even War Memorial very often. We rarely sell out as well. Y'all are P5, we're not. It should be easier for y'all.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 06, 2014, 10:57:27 pm

Just make sure Sonic buys up all the tickets so Mizzery fans can't get them...

GolfNut57

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 09, 2014, 08:14:18 am
Just make sure Sonic buys up all the tickets so Mizzery fans can't get them...

You mean mizzery fans don't like Sonic?  :)

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 09, 2014, 12:19:11 pm
You mean mizzery fans don't like Sonic?  :)

I think Pinkel will prefer stopping at Mr T's over Sonic.....

Sweet Feet

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 08, 2014, 10:46:22 pm
Didn't claim WBB and football were the same. The point was that ASU continues to disprove Hog logic.

Examples: ASU will never make it to a bowl much less win one. UCA has a stronger football program. ASU could never have a home field advantage against the Hogs (or now apparently Mizzou).

The Hogs don't sell out Bud Walton, Razorback stadium or even War Memorial very often. We rarely sell out as well. Y'all are P5, we're not. It should be easier for y'all.
Good points. As far as UCA program, success wise, they do have a pretty nice program...i think they could be FBS honestly

Rooka

December 09, 2014, 02:49:50 pm #94 Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:00:39 pm by Rooka
Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on December 08, 2014, 10:46:22 pm

How can you even type that with a straight face? 4 years running and ASU has put a great product on the field and can't fill it up, and you want to compare that attendance to a team that hadn't won a conference game in a year and half? Compare the Petrino days and compare successful year with successful year. Other than that, it's apples and oranges. As far as a complete sellout goes these days, it takes a HUGE matchup at most places to even bring the crowd when watching it from home is so readily available. Look at the ratio of butts in seats during these past four years to the capacity of the stadium and then look the same ratio during successful years for the Hogs. Huge differential.

Dropkick

Why can't we just let ASU fans be happy with their success at that level of football. They suffered a long time waiting for something good to happen.

Rooka

Quote from: Dropkick on December 09, 2014, 02:59:15 pm
Why can't we just let ASU fans be happy with their success at that level of football. They suffered a long time waiting for something good to happen.
Red Wolf fans have every right to be proud of what they have accomplished. You can't find many programs that could go through head coaches like they have and sustain success. I have always wanted them to do well and always will. It's just you can't reasonable compare attendance for each school at this point and justify it. One is an established SEC level school that has the backing of most of the state, while the other is clawing their way up and on the rise.

There is too much generalization that goes on with this topic. Some ASU fans generalize most Hog fans as people that look down on ASU as "little brother" when in reality, most just generally are indifferent. Same can be said with some Hog fans that really do feel that way. In reality, their is a small number on each side that bash heads about it, and make it seem that everyone feels the same. Truth is, most really don't care one way or the other.