Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hearing HDN to either Tulsa or Missouri State

Started by Rzrbk63, December 02, 2014, 02:25:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Killean

What's amazing is that in 2 or 3 more years he can bring back Gus to run his offense and try and steal recruits from Arkansas State.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Rzrbk63 on December 02, 2014, 02:25:27 pm
Will be interesting to see if Hootie gets a job with all these new vacancies.

It's about time to renew and old rivalry  ;)

TulsaJack32

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 02, 2014, 03:01:52 pm
If he goes back to his original roots, which is to throw the ball all over the yard, he could be successful at that level. I always thought it was odd that he had such an aversion to Malzahn's offensive philosophy when he ran a wide open spread himself at Murray State and Boise State.

However his biggest problem as a head coach has been the way he plays politics with his players. Just coach the team. Put the best kid on the field at every position. If you're going to claim you're in the "people heppin" business then don't talk about it. Do it.

Always wondered that myself.  Mike Cherry transferred there and put up good numbers.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 02, 2014, 03:03:57 pm
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/johnklein/john-klein-butch-davis-houston-nutt-figure-to-be-on/article_f0f88816-c0c0-5bca-84eb-f6afb1309e61.html
Wow! Who knew that according to the article the list of candidates for the TU job will stretch not only out the door, but around the block as well! Never realized it was such a plum job. Now I can see the competition UF, Michigan, and Nebraska are going to have for a new HC. They're likely already standing in that massively long line over in Tulsa.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 02, 2014, 03:27:22 pm
I really wish Coach Nutt would take a high school job in Little Rock. That area needs an infusion of energy, and I think he could take the talent down there and develop it.

A lot of those kids need a figure in their life to help get them on the right track and fulfill their potential. I think with Houston's passion for football and those guys, he could do a great thing for the high school football scene in Little Rock, thus helping Arkansas out as well.
Problem is that with just a few exceptions the LR high school football programs are already in enough shambles as is. Definitely don't need the Hooter to come in and try his schtick! Besides, it's my understanding all the local Sonics are already franchised to another group. "No room at the inn" when it comes to that gig.

pigbacon

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 02, 2014, 03:27:22 pm
I really wish Coach Nutt would take a high school job in Little Rock. That area needs an infusion of energy, and I think he could take the talent down there and develop it.

A lot of those kids need a figure in their life to help get them on the right track and fulfill their potential. I think with Houston's passion for football and those guys, he could do a great thing for the high school football scene in Little Rock, thus helping Arkansas out as well.

I agree with this. Several months ago when the article came out about the decline of HS football in the LRSD, I was thinking it would be the perfect fit for HDN to become a consultant or AD to revamp the programs there. He would be tremendous at recruiting the hallways and getting the kids out on the field. As long as he was neutral or Razorback didn't sway any kids away from the U of A.

The best I know the problems run deeper than just participation. But HDN would be a good fit IMO. Beyond HS, he can do whatever as long as he goes somewhere else.

Doyle Hograves

***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

DoctorSusscrofa

Some people get off on discussing HDN more than they do discussing the Hogs.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 02, 2014, 08:52:56 pm

Okay Chuck... Still feel like it set the program back 20 years?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ArkieRebel on December 02, 2014, 09:06:40 pm

I think Nutt kept our program average. I think there are other coaches that set our program back more. BP and JLS both did with their lack of recruiting and PR distasters with both.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: ArkieRebel on December 02, 2014, 09:06:40 pm

We could have been so lucky. 20 years before, the program was about to win back-to-back conference championships.

Buff

Did someone really suggest that Bobby Petrino did more damage to our football program than Nutt?

Dr. Starcs

Jimmy Sexton at it again trying to get Hootie another raise with cbssports.

BadHog

Quote from: Buff on December 02, 2014, 09:27:44 pm
Did someone really suggest that Bobby Petrino did more damage to our football program than Nutt?

Someone really did! LMAO!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 02, 2014, 09:10:39 pm
I think Nutt kept our program average. I think there are other coaches that set our program back more. BP and JLS both did with their lack of recruiting and PR distasters with both.

Yep. Those 10 and 11 win seasons were a bitch.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

BadHog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 02, 2014, 09:37:50 pm

And that BCS Sugar Bowl - what a let down!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Houston Nutt,  being listed as interested in a coaching job is nothing new.

Bigger question, is who is really interested in him.  That list, is evidently shorter......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: BadHog on December 02, 2014, 09:40:03 pm

Yep that BCS bowl that we lost to a B1G conference team and embarassed the SEC

Buff

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 02, 2014, 10:40:28 pm

Joe Adams dropped 9 TD passes and we dominated the 2nd half.  Wouldn't exactly call it an embarrassment to the SEC.

Arazorbackguy1

Pretty sure Petrino left our program in shambles.  So much so, we actually went defeated in league play which has never happened before in the history of our program, including under Nutt.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

The real Hogules

No more embarrassing than what South Carolina, Georgia, Kentcky and Florida did this past Thanksgiving weekend.
They went a combined 0'fer against the Big Least!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

LRRandy

Quote from: Buff on December 02, 2014, 10:46:16 pm
Joe Adams dropped 9 TD passes and we dominated the 2nd half.  Wouldn't exactly call it an embarrassment to the SEC.
hardly dominated the second half. Revisionist history at its finest.
This is fun, isn't it.

moses_007

Houston Nutt will take any coaching job that will pay him multi-millions, even if it means he'll be fired after only three seasons.

Augustus

May God help Tulsa.

I'll pray for them, before I go to bed tonight.

Oklahawg

If HDN could get around the academic standards of TU he'd be fine. Enthusiasm, low expectations, plenty of area HS to recruit for talent, and back to TX for the rest. Even some Central Arkansas recruiting ties to TU for him to mine.

But, that academic standards issue - if he is smart enough to get it himself - is what caused Blankenship so much hardache. TU may have the toughest academic standards for football players of any D1 school.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ZERO

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 02, 2014, 11:53:25 pm
If HDN could get around the academic standards of TU he'd be fine. Enthusiasm, low expectations, plenty of area HS to recruit for talent, and back to TX for the rest. Even some Central Arkansas recruiting ties to TU for him to mine.

But, that academic standards issue - if he is smart enough to get it himself - is what caused Blankenship so much hardache. TU may have the toughest academic standards for football players of any D1 school.

This was my thought. Nutt is, at the end of the day, a more than adequate coach for a mid-major program. And who knows, if he does well enough there, he could get another shot at a P5 program (albeit probably one like Northwestern or Oregon State). It would be kind of funny if he returned SMU to a perennial Bowl program.

It IS just a matter of time before he coaches again, right? I would think surely he wants to get back at it.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 02, 2014, 11:53:25 pm

That's interesting, I knew they had high standards but didn't realize that.

Something I wondered while attending the college, why is it referred to as TU when it is University of Tulsa?

jvanhorn

a lot of colleges are that way.  Why is it called OU, when it is the University of Oklahoma.  Should be UO? Do they call Missouri  UM?  Is Colorado called UC?

Just a few off the top pg
Quote from: BBsTheMan on December 03, 2014, 12:08:36 am

Something I wondered while attending the college, why is it referred to as TU when it is University of Tulsa?
of my

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 03, 2014, 01:34:44 am
a lot of colleges are that way.  Why is it called OU, when it is the University of Oklahoma.  Should be UO? Do they call Missouri  UM?  Is Colorado called UC?

Just a few off the top pg of my

It only seems to be prevalent in the old Big 8 conference footprint.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Arkfan

My sources tell me that he is going to UAB and it will be announced sometime next week.

Please keep a lid on it and dont repeat it until they have the presser.

Thank you.

Doug

Nine completely off topic posts removed. Getting tired of people taking pot shots at others and running threads off topic with pedantic playground bullcrap.

Y'all need to knock off that kindergarten garbage.

Back on topic... Jimmy Sexton no longer represents Nutt, however, Nutt does want back into coaching in the worst way. Somewhere close to Arkansas because of his "ties" to the state.

Sad to say that so many people still have blinders on when it comes to that used snake oil salesman.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

demonHOG1013

Quote from: ZERO on December 03, 2014, 12:07:18 amIt would be kind of funny if he returned SMU to a perennial Bowl program.

This will be quite difficult, being that SMU hired Chad Morris away from Clemson on Sunday.

DeltaBoy

Nutt to TULSA! He will get the MSM back in short order.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

texas tush hog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 02, 2014, 08:52:56 pm

Hatred is a much stronger emotion than love.

Redhogs

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 02, 2014, 09:37:50 pm
Yea...along with the new football operations center.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Yep that BCS bowl that we lost to a B1G conference team and embarrassed the SEC
Embarrassed really? You mean the only BCS bowl AR. was ever able to get to? The way we lost that game to Mizzou Sat....that was embarrassing.

Redhogs

Quote from: Doug on December 03, 2014, 08:03:17 am
Nine completely off topic posts removed. Getting tired of people taking pot shots at others and running threads off topic with pedantic playground bullcrap.

Back on topic... Jimmy Sexton no longer represents Nutt, however, Nutt does want back into coaching in the worst way. Somewhere close to Arkansas because of his "ties" to the state.

Sad to say that so many people still have blinders on when it comes to that used snake oil salesman.
Nutt should just stay in New Mexico, count the millions that he embezzled from 2 different schools, and leave the college football world alone.

Dan42AR

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 02, 2014, 10:49:08 pm
Pretty sure Petrino left our program in shambles.  So much so, we actually went defeated in league play which has never happened before in the history of our program, including under Nutt.

Yes those seasons were great under BP and I do agree the 2 seasons after the famed motorcycle wreck are the 2 worst years we have ever had. I wanted Nutt gone long before he left but nothing he ever did set us back like those 2 years.

Quote from: Doug on December 03, 2014, 08:03:17 am

I know what you are saying, but Nutt would likely win more at Tulsa than most people they would hire.  Nutt isn't cut out for the big time, but he has a system that could be successful on the right level.

Calling All Hogs

Looks like the Tulsa job pays about $700,000 which is way more than what Nutt is worth but less than what he made in the past. Nutt could easily supplement his income by starting his own YouTube channel and collecting the ad revenue from videos he could post of himself saying stupid stuff.

Hawgboy64

I find it funny HDN went from national media darling to just another punch line.
HDN is just another job hopper that couldn't recruit like Bobby Petrino, except Bobby had more than 3 plays in his offense.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

jackflash

SMU or Tulsa programs like this I feel would give Nutt a interview. Would be interesting to see who ever hires him, if he actually goes to a hurry up offense. Sexton seems to be able to sell glasses to a blind man.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: ArkieRebel on December 02, 2014, 08:37:01 pm
SIAP... I looked...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/2/7319461/houston-nutt-coach-rumor-interest-yes-sign-here

When the local high school coach you hired falls flat on his face who do you hire next to pick of the pieces...Houston Dale Nutt?

This is the sort of decisive, clear headed thinking that has led Tulsa to lose more games to Arkansas than any other school.

Doug

Good lord, people..

Please stop mentioning SMU. They have the guy they want.

Please stop mentioning Nutt and Sexton in the same line. Sexton no longer represents Scrote Boi.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PorkSoda

I hear Alma Sonic is looking for a senior assistant supervisor
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

Houston in the LR area, hmmm.  Who would he send his players too?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgboy64

I hear Auburn is looking for a DC.  Gus and HDN back together again......
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

cosmodrum

December 03, 2014, 04:15:41 pm #99 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:08:04 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: BadHog on December 02, 2014, 09:40:03 pm

I was there. It was let down.
Go away, batin'