Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tues-Mon (10/17-10/23/17) updates: Chaney, Price-Noel, FLA offers Doakes, more

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 17, 2017, 11:47:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 02:11:20 pm
Losing Chaney would be a huge blow

You can't lose something you never had. Chaney's never been committed to Arkansas, nor has he gone on the record to say Arkansas was his leader. Missing on him isn't necessarily a "huge blow", either. As I and others have stated, Arkansas will have multiple options in the spring, options that can help immediately in the '18-19 season while potentially freeing up a scholarship as soon as '19 or '20 -- both classes offer players that Arkansas covets.

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 03:24:26 pm
You can't be serious. There aren't a lot of quality Big men left and this staff doesn't have the greatest hit rate of quality spring signings.

Most programs don't have a great hit rate of quality spring signings. By then, what's mostly available are 5-stars that only a few programs have a shot at, late-bloomers, and mid/high-major 'tweeners waiting for a high-major opportunity. Granted, with the high rate of transfers (including senior-grad one-&-dones) and coaching changes (causing players to seek LOI releases), there are more chances to add quality in the spring.

I'm not saying Arkansas is better off if it doesn't add Chaney. I'm saying it's not necessarily a problem, and in fact it could work out better for future classes.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 07:05:00 pm
You can't lose something you never had. Chaney's never been committed to Arkansas, nor has he gone on the record to say Arkansas was his leader. Missing on him isn't necessarily a "huge blow", either. As I and others have stated, Arkansas will have multiple options in the spring, options that can help immediately in the '18-19 season while potentially freeing up a scholarship as soon as '19 or '20 -- both classes offer players that Arkansas covets

Are we really going to argue Semantics? Chaney is clearly the top remaining priority by this staff. They have visited what? 5 times in Vegas?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 07:19:40 pm
Are we really going to argue Semantics? Chaney is clearly the top remaining priority by this staff. They have visited what? 5 times in Vegas?

And considering all of that it still won't be a huge blow if he picks him up school. A disappointment of course but nothing huge.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 06:56:53 pm
One of those is Gabe who maybe good player in the future but is currently a guy who was likely going to East Tennessee prior our offer.

IMO Clarke is the only quality last signee that this staff has signed.

2020 is a long time away. Players will leave and the staff can make the numbers work in the future if all 3 are that good.

Regarding Gabe: LSU was taking a hard look at adding him in the spring when Arkansas had an opening come up and got him. Coaches at Iowa State told me they really liked him but didn't have a spot for him in the spring. Several mid-majors saved a spot till the last minute, waiting for him to decide. He's a typical mid/high-major 'tweener. Defensively, measurables, and the way he complements others -- ALL suggest he can play a solid backup role as soon as '18-19. No guarantees he'll be ready by then, or still be here for that matter, but that's true all over college basketball these days.

Regarding spring additions: Jabril Durham was a spring signee, ended up being a solid 2-year player who as a senior was one of the better PGs in the SEC as well as Hogs' best backcourt defender. CJ Jones was a spring signee, and and he appears to be on his way to becoming a key contributor. Alandise Harris, Dusty Hannahs, and Dustin Thomas were all spring additions via transfers, all 3 became starters and significant contributors to NCAAT teams.

With those names I just gave you, there are examples of spring juco, spring HS, and spring transfer additions that have proven to be good, or very likely will.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 07:19:40 pm

Yes he is in terms of finishing the early period. But there are other paths to finishing the '18 class just fine -- some that potentially could offer openings sooner rather than later -- so it's not Chaney or bust.

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 07:27:27 pm
Regarding Gabe: LSU was taking a hard look at adding him in the spring when Arkansas had an opening come up and got him. Coaches at Iowa State told me they really liked him but didn't have a spot for him in the spring. Several mid-majors saved a spot till the last minute, waiting for him to decide. He's a typical mid/high-major 'tweener. Defensively, measurables, and the way he complements others -- ALL suggest he can play a solid backup role as soon as '18-19. No guarantees he'll be ready by then, or still be here for that matter, but that's true all over college basketball these days.

Regarding spring additions: Jabril Durham was a spring signee, ended up being a solid 2-year player who as a senior was one of the better PGs in the SEC as well as Hogs' best backcourt defender. CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey are both spring signees, and both appear to be on their way to becoming key contributors. Alandise Harris, Dusty Hannahs, and Dustin Thomas were all spring additions via transfers, all 3 became starters and signigicant contributors to NCAAT teams.

With those names I just gave you, there are examples of spring juco, spring HS, and spring transfer additions that have proven to be good, or very likely will.

Adrio was an early signing period

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/nov/12/forward-bailey-signs-with-hogs-20151112/

Kevin McPherson

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 07:44:43 pm
Correct. I caught that myself and corrected. Still, there are several examples of solid spring additions, not just Coty Clarke.

Understood, but I also think there is a difference in a late signee and a transfer player that has to sit out. I wouldn't lump them the same as Coty, CJ or Durham

MakingPlays

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 06:56:53 pm
Chaney could absolutely start next year. His only competition is Adrio Bailey who is a similar but smaller Ath.

We also currently only have 4 "big" guys next year for our 4 and 5 positions. That's an injury from disaster. One of those is Gabe who maybe good player in the future but is currently a guy who was likely going to East Tennessee prior our offer.

IMO Clarke is the only quality last signee that this staff has signed.

2020 is a long time away. Players will leave and the staff can make the numbers work in the future if all 3 are that good.

Reggie Chaney is becoming the backup quarterback of basketball recruiting, apparently watching a couple of 3 minute highlight tapes of him have suddenly made him a can't miss recruit.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have him, but I'm not going to get up in arms about a guy that's most likely just going to be a bench rotation player his first year, maybe even longer than that if Gafford stays and upperclassmen play really well.  Also, isn't Ethan Henderson rated higher than him on every single service?  You are making a big assumption that he's going to come in right away and beat out Henderson, Gabe, and Bailey for minutes.  And I can tell you right now, Bailey is a stud, he's not going to let a freshman come in and beat him out, he's beating out 2 seniors right now.   

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 07:51:21 pm
Understood, but I also think there is a difference in a late signee and a transfer player that has to sit out. I wouldn't lump them the same as Coty, CJ or Durham

What logical reason should a transfer not count? We're talking about spring additions, and that is when almost all of your transfers will become available as potential recruits just like the others. You've got however many spots left over to fill in the spring, and you can do that with HS kids, jucos, or transfers.

It shouldn't be a disqualifier that you sit out a year, in fact, I think that improves the chances of the player helping you. The best thing that could have happened for guys like Harris, Hannahs, and Thomas was to sit a year to develop, mature (whether physically, mentally, or both), and learn the system and get used to their teammates. Transfers are a HUGE part of recruiting now because of the high volume of transfers, a list that keeps getting bigger every spring.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 08:00:14 pm
Reggie Chaney is becoming the backup quarterback of basketball recruiting, apparently watching a couple of 3 minute highlight tapes of him have suddenly made him a can't miss recruit.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have him, but I'm not going to get up in arms about a guy that's most likely just going to be a bench rotation player his first year, maybe even longer than that if Gafford stays and upperclassmen play really well.  Also, isn't Ethan Henderson rated higher than him on every single service? You are making a big assumption that he's going to come in right away and beat out Henderson, Gabe, and Bailey for minutes.  And I can tell you right now, Bailey is a stud, he's not going to let a freshman come in and beat him out, he's beating out 2 seniors right now.

Not every single service, but most of them as well as the composite ... and a national recruiting analyst said a few days ago that he thought Ethan was the better player of the two.

Now, Chaney brings more of an offensive presence than the other bigs on the roster, and the Hogs could certainly use that on the frontline, so it's easy to see why they've gone after him so hard. I don't think anybody is saying he's not the preferred target. I think the point is he's not a MUST have, and thus if you miss it's not necessarily a huge blow.

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 08:02:59 pm
What logical reason should a transfer not count? We're talking about spring additions, and that is when almost all of your transfers will become available as potential recruits just like the others. You've got however many spots left over to fill in the spring, and you can do that with HS kids, jucos, or transfers.

It shouldn't be a disqualifier that you sit out a year, in fact, I think that improves the chances of the player helping you. The best thing that could have happened for guys like Harris, Hannahs, and Thomas was to sit a year to develop, mature (whether physically, mentally, or both), and learn the system and get used to their teammates. Transfers are a HUGE part of recruiting now because of the high volume of transfers, a list that keeps getting bigger every spring.

They don't impact the immediate season. It's almost like they are a recruit for the next recruiting class. There is also less competition in the era of graduated transfers. Dustin Thomas and Dusty quality players at there previous spots. But limited interest comparison.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 08:11:00 pm
Not every single service, but most of them as well as the composite ... and a national recruiting analyst said a few days ago that he thought Ethan was the better player of the two.

Now, Chaney brings more of an offensive presence than the other bigs on the roster, and the Hogs could certainly use that on the frontline, so it's easy to see why they've gone after him so hard. I don't think anybody is saying he's not the preferred target. I think the point is he's not a MUST have, and thus if you miss it's not necessarily a huge blow.

My thoughts exactly. 

I think most people have seen Chaney's named linked to us for so long, that they've put in their mind we just have to have him.   Me personally, I thought both Phillips and Chaney were icing on the cake if we could land them in the early period.  With the 4 guys we already had committed I thought it was a pretty solid fall class if that's all we got, not many schools land 4 players in the fall period, and 3 of which are 4-star guys. 

Also, last thing, have you talked to Chaney today about his TCU visit?  He should be making a decision really soon now right?

MakingPlays

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 08:32:31 pm
They don't impact the immediate season. It's almost like they are a recruit for the next recruiting class. There is also less competition in the era of graduated transfers. Dustin Thomas and Dusty quality players at there previous spots. But limited interest comparison.

With Dusty, Dustin, and Alandise they all knew they wanted to be hogs when they announced to transfer, that's why it wasn't much activity with them as far as other schools.  It was pretty much a given that they were all hog bound, we as fans knew that, so I'm pretty sure other coaches knew that as well.   

But, you better believe that it's very competitive for transfers.  We were on one guy Michael Weathers, this off-season and he had a ton of interest and it was very competitive for his services, and he was a 2-star guy coming out of high school.  When Jimmy Whitt when he transferred from here he received a lot of offers.  It just depends on the kid, if they let it be known they want to go to a certain school most coaches aren't going to waste their time, but if they announce they are completely open, they are going to get a ton of interest.

King Kong

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 08:00:14 pm

Don't get me wrong, would love to have him, but I'm not going to get up in arms about a guy that's most likely just going to be a bench rotation player his first year, maybe even longer than that if Gafford stays and upperclassmen play really well.  Also, isn't Ethan Henderson rated higher than him on every single service?  You are making a big assumption that he's going to come in right away and beat out Henderson, Gabe, and Bailey for minutes.  And I can tell you right now, Bailey is a stud, he's not going to let a freshman come in and beat him out, he's beating out 2 seniors right now.

In the future I will to respond to anymore of your posts. Your blabbering and inability to hear another side makes you impossible to converse with (see the LeBlanc debates and Gabe will play a significant role this season)

MakingPlays

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 08:42:53 pm
In the future I will to respond to anymore of your posts. Your blabbering and inability to hear another side makes you impossible to converse with (see the LeBlanc debates and Gabe will play a significant role this season)

LOL,  I don't care if you respond to me or not.  That sounds like something a 2nd grader says when they get their feelings hurt.  You may as well not respond to Kevin as well, because he's said the same stuff that I've said about Chaney.  And If you cant handle somebody disagreeing with your flawed logic, then message boards and social media may not be for you. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 08:42:32 pm
With Dusty, Dustin, and Alandise they all knew they wanted to be hogs when they announced to transfer, that's why it wasn't much activity with them as far as other schools.  It was pretty much a given that they were all hog bound, we as fans knew that, so I'm pretty sure other coaches knew that as well.   

But, you better believe that it's very competitive for transfers.  We were on one guy Michael Weathers, this off-season and he had a ton of interest and it was very competitive for his services, and he was a 2-star guy coming out of high school.  When Jimmy Whitt when he transferred from here he received a lot of offers.  It just depends on the kid, if they let it be known they want to go to a certain school most coaches aren't going to waste their time, but if they announce they are completely open, they are going to get a ton of interest.

You just like to just make up things? Dusty was extremely open in pressers about how received zero interest he received from other P5 schools and when he originally decided to transfer there wasn't a spot on our roster. Yeah, he wanted to be a Razorback but he didn't know it would happen.

Dustin Thomas didn't grow up a Razorback fan and wasn't heavily recruited by us out of HS.

Alandise Harris would fit with the situation you mentioned.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 08:53:46 pm
LOL,  I don't care if you respond to me or not.  That sounds like something a 2nd grader says when they get their feelings hurt.  You may as well not respond to Kevin as well, because he's said the same stuff that I've said about Chaney.  And If you cant handle somebody disagreeing with your flawed logic, then message boards and social media may not be for you. 

We both of us could argue you are wrong and the proof is how hard our coaching staff has pursued Reggie Chaney.

If they agreed with your flawed logic there wouldn't be any reason to do so

MakingPlays

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 09:00:10 pm
You just like to just make up things? Dusty was extremely open in pressers about how received zero interest he received from other P5 schools and when he originally decided to transfer there wasn't a spot on our roster. Yeah, he wanted to be a Razorback but he didn't know it would happen.

Dustin Thomas didn't grow up a Razorback fan and wasn't heavily recruited by us out of HS.

I remember the Dusty situation very well.  Shortly after he announced he was transferring, Jon Rothstein put out a tweet that said he's hearing he's likely Arkansas bound.  It may have been the same day, I'll have to see if I can find the tweet.  Dusty even talks about receiving a call from Coach Watkins shortly after he announced his transfer. 

Dustin Thomas first and only visit after he announced he was transferring was to Arkansas. 

You don't seriously believe nobody wanted these guys except for the Hogs do you?  They both were productive players on P5 teams and both had starting experience.  If these guys said they were completely open and took phone calls from multiple schools, their recruiting would have been a lot more competitive.

MakingPlays

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 09:02:38 pm
We both of us could argue you are wrong and the proof is how hard our coaching staff has pursued Reggie Chaney.

If they agreed with your flawed logic there wouldn't be any reason to do so

Dude Kevin just told you guys that he's not a can't miss guy, and it's not a huge blow, as you put it. 

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 08:11:00 pm
I don't think anybody is saying he's not the preferred target. I think the point is he's not a MUST have, and thus if you miss it's not necessarily a huge blow.

Now, you guys can get mad at me and threaten to not listen to me, whatever, I don't really care.  But, don't try to discredit my knowledge, when the recruiting expert is right here telling you guys the same thing I am.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: King Kong on October 22, 2017, 08:32:31 pm

The issue brought up that I reponded to was about lack of quality spring signings, not about next-season impact. You can't exclude Harris, Hannahs, and Dustin from the "quality spring signing" list just because of the RS season. Even if you prefer counting them with the next class (when they actually can play in games), either they're a quality pick-up or they are not. Spring is when transfers happen, and every staff must weigh immediate needs, long-term needs, balancing classes, etc., when deciding what to do with whatever scholarships were left open after the early period (or that came open after the season).

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 09:17:33 pm
Dude Kevin just told you guys that he's not a can't miss guy, and it's not a huge blow, as you put it. 

Now, you guys can get mad at me and threaten to not listen to me, whatever, I don't really care.  But, don't try to discredit my knowledge, when the recruiting expert is right here telling you guys the same thing I am.

Again the coaches are treating him as a big deal.

Second, I'm surprised to see you lean on the experts as he completed shot holes in everything you said about the LeBlanc situation (position and who he had a commitable offer too)

Third, threatening. Please

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 09:00:10 pm

None of which matters. Either the players ended up being quality pick-ups or not. You originally suggested Clarke was the only quality late (a.k.a. spring) signing by this staff, but clearly there have been others. Jury still out on guys like Jalen Harris and Gabe O, but Durham, Harris, Hannahs, Thomas, and Clarke (as you pointed out) were ALL quality late adds, with Jones trending that way. Wagner was not. Miles was not. Who knows what Hazen would have done here, can't call him a late win or a late loss. Kouassi and Doobie were emergency stop-gaps that resulted from an unusual offseason roster purge, but they served their purpose (warm bodies for practice to get through a season).

Pretty much a mixed bag with the late/spring additions -- which is to be expected for most programs -- but for Arkansas I count more successes in there than I do misses.

MakingPlays

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 10:18:46 pm
Again the coaches are treating him as a big deal.

Second, I'm surprised to see you lean on the experts as he completed shot holes in everything you said about the LeBlanc situation (position and who he had a commitable offer too)

Third, threatening. Please

Why in the world do you guys keep bringing up LeBlanc, he has nothing to do with this conversation.  I honestly don't even remember half the stuff talked about in that thread, that was at least a couple weeks ago, I've actually had more important stuff going on to worry about.  Only thing I remember saying in that thread was he could play SF, which he himself believes he can, and I remember saying his decision isn't going to affect what Chaney does.  Which it hasn't.  Apparently me saying that hurt some feelings and caused you and King Kong to hold some kind of grudge against me.  If I somehow offended you guys in that thread, I apologize.  It's not that serious to me, after I post and log off, I could care less what anyone on here said to me. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 22, 2017, 09:09:20 pm

I remember the Dusty situation very well.  Shortly after he announced he was transferring, Jon Rothstein put out a tweet that said he's hearing he's likely Arkansas bound.  It may have been the same day, I'll have to see if I can find the tweet.  Dusty even talks about receiving a call from Coach Watkins shortly after he announced his transfer. 

Dustin Thomas first and only visit after he announced he was transferring was to Arkansas. 

You don't seriously believe nobody wanted these guys except for the Hogs do you?  They both were productive players on P5 teams and both had starting experience.  If these guys said they were completely open and took phone calls from multiple schools, their recruiting would have been a lot more competitive.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hannhahs-watkins-talk-texas-tech

6min mark Dusty talks about his lack of interest. "It was pretty quite" his words not mine regarding teams transfer interest.

Hogs didn't contact him till atleast a week after.

The Wagner transfer opened up his spot which was April 8th. Hannahs commited the 9th. March 24 was the day the Hannahs transfer from TT was announced

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/apr/08/wagner-transferring-arkansas/

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/4/9/5599538/dusty-hannahs-transferring-to-the-arkansas-basketball-team-razorbacks

https://www.vivathematadors.com/2014/3/24/5543500/dusty-hannahs-to-transfer-from-texas-tech

MakingPlays

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2017, 11:02:48 pm
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/hannhahs-watkins-talk-texas-tech

6min mark Dusty talks about his lack of interest. "It was pretty quite" his words not mine regarding teams transfer interest.

Hogs didn't contact him till atleast a week after.

The Wagner transfer opened up his spot which was April 8th. Hannahs commited the 9th. March 24 was the day the Hannahs transfer from TT was announced

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/apr/08/wagner-transferring-arkansas/

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/4/9/5599538/dusty-hannahs-transferring-to-the-arkansas-basketball-team-razorbacks

https://www.vivathematadors.com/2014/3/24/5543500/dusty-hannahs-to-transfer-from-texas-tech

So, what's your point?  After a week he didn't have a ton of offers/interest?  You're acting like he was on the open market all summer and nobody wanted him. Like I said earlier, I remember specifically Jon Rothestein tweeting he's likely Arkansas bound.  I don't have to get on google to know what I saw. I also remember other Arkansas media people saying there was mutual interest shortly after he decommitted.  Most coaches probably figured he was Arkansas bound, which he was.  Again, do you seriously think a sharpshooter with starter experience in a P5 conference is only going to get interest from 1 school?  In comparison, Willy Kouassai averaged 4 PPG in the A-Sun, and stayed in the open market most of the summer and had interest from over 30 schools.   Had he only been available for a week, it may have only been a couple schools with interest. 

With that said, what does Dusty's recruitment have to do with Reggie Chaney?  You're all over the place, you just brought up Josh LeBlanc's recruitment now you've been googling Dusty Hannah's recruitment for who knows how long.  This conversation started because you said staff doesn't do good with JUCO and spring additions and talking about how big of a loss Reggie Chaney would be if we don't get him, you got proven wrong, and now you're just trying to deflect and change the conversation.

edit:  Also, just did some googling of my own.  And look what I found on Hogville 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=565362.100

As you can see from here several posters here knew it was a good chance Dusty would be a Hog.  Even had @therecruitscoop reporting Arkansas was in the mix for Dusty as early as March 31st.

Hawg Red

The way I see the Reggie Chaney thing is he is the kind of player you'd love to have to finish off your class, but he's not even a necessity. I think the reason why many are not considering Ethan Henderson (and the fact that he's rated similarly or higher) is because we just know more about him. We know that he's thin. We know that he did not perform well in state playoffs (and that really sticks with a lot of posters here -- I remember hearing that Andre Jones was better than Jimmy Whitt based on what people saw in the state tournament). Reggie is an out-of-state kid. That makes him a bigger get to some/many. He also figures to be ready sooner, perhaps, than Henderson. It's reasonable to assume Adrio Bailey will be locked into the starting 4 spot as a junior, so both Henderson and Chaney would figure to be reserves as freshmen. The only necessity, to me, for this 2018 class is bring in a big man of some sort. A JUCO or grad transfer would really help with how the numbers are looking right now. I think that's the direction to go in unless a unique opportunity presents itself.

Losing Reggie Perry was a blow because he's a player you could reasonably say had the potential, even for just a year, to have the Hogs in Sweet 16-Final 4 contention if everything broke right. That Hog roster could have been really nasty with him and Gafford up front and all the length and athleticism up and down the roster. He's a player whose impact you feel immediately. And unlike Archie Goodwin and Malik Monk, he plays a premium position in the frontcourt.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 23, 2017, 08:24:21 am
The way I see the Reggie Chaney thing is he is the kind of player you'd love to have to finish off your class, but he's not even a necessity. I think the reason why many are not considering Ethan Henderson (and the fact that he's rated similarly or higher) is because we just know more about him. We know that he's thin. We know that he did not perform well in state playoffs (and that really sticks with a lot of posters here -- I remember hearing that Andre Jones was better than Jimmy Whitt based on what people saw in the state tournament). Reggie is an out-of-state kid. That makes him a bigger get to some/many. He also figures to be ready sooner, perhaps, than Henderson. It's reasonable to assume Adrio Bailey will be locked into the starting 4 spot as a junior, so both Henderson and Chaney would figure to be reserves as freshmen. The only necessity, to me, for this 2018 class is bring in a big man of some sort. A JUCO or grad transfer would really help with how the numbers are looking right now. I think that's the direction to go in unless a unique opportunity presents itself.

Losing Reggie Perry was a blow because he's a player you could reasonably say had the potential, even for just a year, to have the Hogs in Sweet 16-Final 4 contention if everything broke right. That Hog roster could have been really nasty with him and Gafford up front and all the length and athleticism up and down the roster. He's a player whose impact you feel immediately. And unlike Archie Goodwin and Malik Monk, he plays a premium position in the frontcourt.

Assuming Perry and Gafford played even one year together, it would have been the most-talented 4-5 combo in Arkansas history. Just in terms of a 4 and a 5 playing together, you'd have to go back to the early 90s with Oliver Miller (1st-round pick by Phoenix) and Isaiah "Butch" Morris (2nd-round pick by Detroit) to find a 4-5 duo and make a comparison. How good could the Hogs be with those 2 plus all the perimeter length and versatility from guys like CJ Jones, Darious Hall, Khalil Garland, Isaiah Joe, and Jordan Phillips, then add in backcourt dogs like Desi Sills and Keyshawn Embery. Arkansas is going to be fine without Perry, but for at least one season its scary to think what could have been.

And going back to Chaney, both HoginTennessee and King Kong make valid points -- Chaney is obviously a preferred target, and late signing period is not typically equitable in terms of what's still available. The good news is there are several scenarios that could play out well for Arkansas IF Chaney gets away. The reason the Hogs are in such a position is that they've got 5 preferred recruits committed early, which means they don't have to scramble or reach late ... they can take their time to evaluate and consider multiple options to close out '18 needing only one more.

draftkings33

What about the 6-11 kid from Eldorado that is at Juco now?  Can't remember his name

Hawg Red

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 23, 2017, 02:59:02 pm
What about the 6-11 kid from Eldorado that is at Juco now?  Can't remember his name

Matthew Horton. Committed to Western Kentucky, currently.

mhuff

Boy I'm glad we got all that out of the way. Now is there the chance we visit Chaney again this week?

Hawg Red

Kevin,

Aside from Price-Noel, can you give us any names that the staff is looking at currently that are likely to be available in the late period, or is it pretty much a wait-and-see-who-pops-up thing? (Which would obviously include all transfers currently in D1, I know.)

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: mhuff on October 24, 2017, 09:03:48 am
Boy I'm glad we got all that out of the way. Now is there the chance we visit Chaney again this week?

Late Mon night (10/23/17) update ... Yes, Reggie Chaney told me last night (Monday) that he believes Hog coaches are coming in on Wednesday. Here was my tweet ...

* '18 Hog offer @reggie_chaney (6-8 PF, Findlay Prep) told me he thinks Hog coaches will be out to Vegas to see him Wed. He's taken all 5 OVs.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2017, 09:17:24 am
Kevin,

Aside from Price-Noel, can you give us any names that the staff is looking at currently that are likely to be available in the late period, or is it pretty much a wait-and-see-who-pops-up thing? (Which would obviously include all transfers currently in D1, I know.)

Early period possibilities IF Chaney commits elsewhere: I think it's possible (not sure how likely) that Feron Hunt could come back into the picture (which would be an early signing). Hunt has left the door open to re-commit to TCU, probably going to come down to what Chaney decides. Hunt's a combo forward who's not as big, strong, or effective inside as Chaney is, so I'd be a little surprised if Arkansas pursued him, but they were close to offering back in the summer so it's a possibility. I also still believe that Matthew Horton pledged to the first school (WKy) that would accept his commitment given some academic questions, so I suppose there is a minute chance the Hogs could get back in on him (very unlikely, though, because I don't think they are comfortbale with the risk).

Late period: Jahbril Price-Noel is obviously one guy Arkansas will recruit and keep an eye on this season. Two more Serbian bigs on this year's SCA team who intrigue me (both are more inside-out versatile than Mladen Armus was) are 6-9 Simeon Jovic and 6-8 Ivan Hadzic. I don't think either player is an ideal system fit, but I believe both are mid/high-major 'tweeners who deserve a long look by the Hogs. Obivously, there will be new names emerge (HS, juco, transfer) by the time April gets here, so it will be interesting to follow.

If Hogs miss on Chaney, I really believe (barring an equal or better 2018 prospect coming available in the spring) they should grab a juco big or a senior-grad transfer to create a slot for either '19 or '20. That '19 class is better than I thought it would be prior to the July live periods, and the '20 class is looking like it will be epically good.

azhog10

I agree. I think we need to leave a scholly available in '19 which means a transfer of some kind. We currently would have 4 scholarships for '20, might see one more open up out of the '17 or '18 class if someone chooses to transfer out. That would leave 5 for the '20 class that is just absolutely stacked. Either way you have to keep at minimum 4 scholarships for '20. If justice plays both and occupies a football scholarship then I think you save one for Franklin. Franklin is the type of player that adds something you just don't see every day and he can guard nearly any position on the court.

Other option is for the University to find a job for Mr. Hill......get justice some free education and not occupy a scholarship. He definitely deserves one so you make room for him no matter what. For those at the exhibition how did Harris look? His stat line didn't say much but the kid has speed.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on October 24, 2017, 12:13:25 pm
I agree. I think we need to leave a scholly available in '19 which means a transfer of some kind. We currently would have 4 scholarships for '20, might see one more open up out of the '17 or '18 class if someone chooses to transfer out. That would leave 5 for the '20 class that is just absolutely stacked. Either way you have to keep at minimum 4 scholarships for '20. If justice plays both and occupies a football scholarship then I think you save one for Franklin. Franklin is the type of player that adds something you just don't see every day and he can guard nearly any position on the court.

Other option is for the University to find a job for Mr. Hill......get justice some free education and not occupy a scholarship. He definitely deserves one so you make room for him no matter what. For those at the exhibition how did Harris look? His stat line didn't say much but the kid has speed.

Arkansas currently has 2 spots available for the 2020 class (Bailey and Jones are the only sophomores right now who would be seniors in 2019-20 and thus free up scholarships for the c/o of '20).

Harris struggled. He was not able to knock down open looks and his timing/rhythm seemed off all night. He's quick and fast, so there's that. Not fair to come away with absolutes about his game based off one R/W performance, so by no means am I down on him or suggesting he won't be good.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 24, 2017, 12:34:43 pm
Arkansas currently has 2 spots available for the 2020 class (Bailey and Jones are the only sophomores right now who would be seniors in 2019-20 and thus free up scholarships for the c/o of '20).

Harris struggled. He was not able to knock down open looks and his timing/rhythm seemed off all night. He's quick and fast, so there's that. Not fair to come away with absolutes about his game based off one R/W performance, so by no means am I down on him or suggesting he won't be good.
I counted Holmes and Harris.....good catch.

draftkings33

Is this Harris third year of school?  Hoping he can graduate next year to make room for Doakes, Moody, Moore

hdturner

Gafford won't be at Arkansas 4 years so that another open scholarship.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 24, 2017, 01:20:29 pm
Is this Harris third year of school?  Hoping he can graduate next year to make room for Doakes, Moody, Moore

It's his 2nd year, but he'll be a RS-transfer this season so he'll be a sophomore in 2018-19 (same as the current freshman class of Dan, Darious, Khalil, and Gabe, assuming they all play this season).

Quote from: hdturner on October 24, 2017, 01:30:22 pm
Gafford won't be at Arkansas 4 years so that another open scholarship.

Probably true. If he's a 1-&-done, his scholarship comes open for the '18 class ... 2-and-done, and it creates a slot in '19 ... 3-and-done, and it opens up for '20.

draftkings33

rzrbackramsfan

Does Javon Franklin fit into the Chaney picture?  Would love to get Chaney but if not getting him meant we could get Franklin I wouldn't be hurt one bit. 

Franklin is a guy we just have to get.  Little Rock, super athletic, probably friends with a lot of the guys on the team.  Hope he is developing well at Holmes. 

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 24, 2017, 03:47:40 pm
Does Javon Franklin fit into the Chaney picture?  Would love to get Chaney but if not getting him meant we could get Franklin I wouldn't be hurt one bit. 

Franklin is a guy we just have to get.  Little Rock, super athletic, probably friends with a lot of the guys on the team.  Hope he is developing well at Holmes.

Well, if Chaney commits elsewhere and Arkansas holds that scholarship over to the 2019 class for the specific purpose of landing Franklin, then yes. But I don't think Arkansas will do that. They'll look to fill that last 2018 scholarship with a player who can suit up in 2018-19, then deal with the numbers and c/o '19 recruits later.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 24, 2017, 10:09:34 pm
Well, if Chaney commits elsewhere and Arkansas holds that scholarship over to the 2019 class for the specific purpose of landing Franklin, then yes. But I don't think Arkansas will do that. They'll look to fill that last 2018 scholarship with a player who can suit up in 2018-19, then deal with the numbers and c/o '19 recruits later.

I see.  Well I'll keep hoping for Chaney. 

draftkings33

Heard Doakes was not playing this year because of a transfer rule.  Is this true?

Kevin McPherson

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 22, 2017, 07:05:00 pm
You can't lose something you never had. Chaney's never been committed to Arkansas, nor has he gone on the record to say Arkansas was his leader. Missing on him isn't necessarily a "huge blow", either. As I and others have stated, Arkansas will have multiple options in the spring, options that can help immediately in the '18-19 season while potentially freeing up a scholarship as soon as '19 or '20 -- both classes offer players that Arkansas covets.

Most programs don't have a great hit rate of quality spring signings. By then, what's mostly available are 5-stars that only a few programs have a shot at, late-bloomers, and mid/high-major 'tweeners waiting for a high-major opportunity. Granted, with the high rate of transfers (including senior-grad one-&-dones) and coaching changes (causing players to seek LOI releases), there are more chances to add quality in the spring.

I'm not saying Arkansas is better off if it doesn't add Chaney. I'm saying it's not necessarily a problem, and in fact it could work out better for future classes.
"You can't lose something you've never had."
I would take that even further and not even count verbal commitments.
A verbal commitment means something, can mean a lot actually, but it's not worth the paper it's written on.
Arkansas never had Reggie Perry.
They certainly don't have Reggie Chaney.

The only time you 'have' somebody is when they sign the paper, and then legalities kick in. You got 'em.

Somebody cue up Richard Marx. "It don't mean nothin', til they sign it on the dotted line..."

Me, I'm too old to get excited about visits, or even commitments. When I read in the paper somebody signed an LOI...THEN I get excited.

Call me jaded if you want. Or a realist.

//

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97-o9l3IaP8

mhuff

Hate to tell you this, but I remember a player that was " signed, sealed, and delivered" ,and the clearinghouse came back and took him away. To me that's no reason to stick my head in the ground. I love this board to find out who all we are recruiting.