Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GoDaddy.com Bowl

Started by rocknrollcoastie, December 02, 2012, 08:40:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Quote from: corpitguy on December 03, 2012, 11:57:13 am
I think the Big 12 rumors are a bit much, but C-USA is a definite possibility.  And truly, if there was ever a time for insane realignments, this is it.  If I were the AD, I'd be pursuing every crazy idea I could think of... the potential payoffs are too large, and discussions can be kept fairly private.
I think the chance of ASU ending up in CUSA are about 100%.

Probably the only thing that will stop it is if realigment forces the regional FBS programs like Southern Mississippi, La Tech, Tulsa, ULL and the likes to form a regional conference.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ark30inf

Quote from: corpitguy on December 03, 2012, 11:57:13 am
I think the Big 12 rumors are a bit much, but C-USA is a definite possibility.  And truly, if there was ever a time for insane realignments, this is it.  If I were the AD, I'd be pursuing every crazy idea I could think of... the potential payoffs are too large, and discussions can be kept fairly private.

CUSA took a look.  Liked everything they saw except athletic budget which is the hardest thing to fix.

Lafayette also gets looks but their problem is being in Louisiana with LaTech.  Automatic drama there.  ASU would add a whole new state.

It looks like ASU would be next behind Western Kentucky for a CUSA invite but the way conference realignment has gone you never know since moves don't always seem to make sense.

corpitguy

I tend to agree with you.

Like I said, I'd be pursuing every crazy idea.... and ultimately land in a better (non-AQ) position.

hogman64

Quote from: ark30inf on December 03, 2012, 12:10:44 pm
CUSA took a look.  Liked everything they saw except athletic budget which is the hardest thing to fix.

Lafayette also gets looks but their problem is being in Louisiana with LaTech.  Automatic drama there.  ASU would add a whole new state.

It looks like ASU would be next behind Western Kentucky for a CUSA invite but the way conference realignment has gone you never know since moves don't always seem to make sense.

What good does it do to go to CUSA  when CUSA basically becomes the Sunbelt?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 12:08:50 pm
Sounds  like you need to be on the selection committee, I am sure those on it are trying to sabotage the bowl by not picking the best available team......I pull for ASU to win but some of you ASU fans really need to get a better handle on the National perception.....Keep winning 9 games or more a year get in a better conference and you will eventually be where you think you are now........I am all for it , it would  be good for the state  to have two solid programs...and bring on a game  between the two schools....
Actually make that 10 wins a year, being in the top 25 on a regular basis, and that is the plan. Slight chance they could make both (10 wins and top 25) this year, probably  100% chance they will next year, and most years after that.

This is a year ahead of the schedule Malzahn had laid out, but nothing wrong with that, after a slow start things are back on track.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hogman64

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 12:16:16 pm
Actually make that 10 wins a year, being in the top 25 on a regular basis, and that is the plan. Slight chance they could make both (10 wins and top 25) this year, probably  100% chance they will next year, and most years after that.

This is a year ahead of the schedule Malzahn had laid out, but nothing wrong with that.

Thats everybody's plan, hope you get there but there are alot of obstacles.  100%?  ok

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 12:15:22 pm

More of everything, bowls, tv, money. I look for it to happen sooner rather than later.

WKU is on deck, but ASU and UL have been told to get their bags packed.

Seminole Indian

December 03, 2012, 12:25:17 pm #57 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:43:13 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 12:18:39 pm
Thats everybody's plan, hope you get there but there are alot of obstacles.  100%?  ok
Not as many as you might think, and easier than you think, if it is the right place, the right time, and the right coach.

Actually a lot easier for ASU than it is for most teams in the current AQ conferences. Huge Freeze knows that is the case at Ole Miss, and it is why he almost did not take his dream job. Malzahn, knew that was the case at Vanderbilt, and did not take the job.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 12:08:50 pm
Sounds  like you need to be on the selection committee, I am sure those on it are trying to sabotage the bowl by not picking the best available team......I pull for ASU to win but some of you ASU fans really need to get a better handle on the National perception.....Keep winning 9 games or more a year get in a better conference and you will eventually be where you think you are now........I am all for it , it would  be good for the state  to have two solid programs...and bring on a game  between the two schools....
No reason to be so snippy.  I should be on the committee.  I could have made a better decision.  There were definitely factions that wanted to make the smart choice and bring in ASU but it isn't that easy and the GoDaddy Bowl was not enthused about selecting Iowa State either.  Iowa State will not draw a huge TV audience or a larger crowd.  No doubt about that.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 12:15:22 pm

It isn't 100% but it is most likely that when The MWC and Big East take teams from CUSA that WKU, ASU, ULL and possibly USA will be moving to CUSA.  They like to add big market teams with no fanbase at all first before they look at smaller market teams with strong programs and/or support in the stands.  It will be the Sun Belt plus USM, UAB, LT and a couple of new CUSA teams (UTSA, ODU, UNCC). Competitively it isn't better than the Sun Belt but you don't want to be left holding the bag like ULM and Troy.

hogman64

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 12:25:17 pm
Not as many as you might think, and easier than you think, if it is the right place, the right time, and the right coach.

Actually a lot easier for ASU than it is for most teams in the current AQ conferences. Huge Freeze knows that is the case at Ole Miss, and it is why he almost did not take his dream job. Malzahn, knew that was the case at Vanderbilt, and did not take the job.

Its worked out pretty good for Franklin.........

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 12:25:17 pm
Huge Freeze knows that is the case at Ole Miss, and it is why he almost did not take his dream job.

Other than absolutely begging Archie Manning for it?  He pandered for the job so where do you get he almost didn't take it?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 03, 2012, 01:22:12 pm
Other than absolutely begging Archie Manning for it?  He pandered for the job so where do you get he almost didn't take it?
From him, his assistants, their wives, and everyone involved.

Talking to one coach, who had a solid ministry at our church and who almost did not join him at Ole Miss as a result, the clock almost struck midnight on the decision. The deciding factor was the move would help and families of the assistant coaches, who really wanted him to take the job, and them.

hogman64

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 03, 2012, 02:17:10 pm
From him, his assistants, their wives, and everyone involved.

Talking to one coach, who had a solid ministry at our church and who almost did not join him at Ole Miss as a result, the clock almost struck midnight on the decision. The deciding factor was the move would help and families of the assistant coaches, who really wanted him to take the job, and them.

Yea I remember everyone being really shocked that he would take that SEC job.  There was alot of speculation  he would turn it down........Bizarro  World, come on man ever think those guys might have been just telling you in a nice way they were gone .  We all agree Freeze is a good guy and hated to leave after only a year but there was never any chance he wouldnt take the job.  Sunbelt coaches dont turn down SEC jobs.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 02:41:46 pm
Yea I remember everyone being really shocked that he would take that SEC job.  There was alot of speculation  he would turn it down........Bizarro  World, come on man ever think those guys might have been just telling you in a nice way they were gone .  We all agree Freeze is a good guy and hated to leave after only a year but there was never any chance he wouldnt take the job.  Sunbelt coaches dont turn down SEC jobs.

Especially ones they're begging for unbidden.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on December 02, 2012, 10:47:53 pmLiberty bowl made a mistake by taking Iowa st over la tech or asu

I thought ASU should have had a shot at the Liberty Bowl.  Sorry for them that they didn't. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hogman64 on December 03, 2012, 02:41:46 pm
No, but I told the coach that was considering not joining Freeze at Ole Miss after Freeze took the job, he would be stupid not too, and  I really felt that Freeze made the right decision because that was his dream.

Gus is a different animal and the fact is he cannot achieve his 'dream' at an Auburn, or Arkansas. They cannot be a Boise anything because they are 'power programs', in a power conference. He can only do what he says he wants to do at an ASU or Tulsa.

hogman64

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 04, 2012, 08:39:14 am
No, but I told the coach that was considering not joining Freeze at Ole Miss after Freeze took the job, he would be stupid not too, and  I really felt that Freeze made the right decision because that was his dream.

Gus is a different animal and the fact is he cannot achieve his 'dream' at an Auburn, or Arkansas. They cannot be a Boise anything because they are 'power programs', in a power conference. He can only do what he says he wants to do at an ASU or Tulsa.

Again, Sunbelt coaches dont turn down SEC jobs.........

Albert Einswine

I've not made up my mind if Seminole Indian is a troll or a deeply disturbed borderline tard.