Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the story on Chris Humes?

Started by jkstock04, February 01, 2012, 01:49:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Sorry if already posted...but didn't see it anywhere else.  I see he is committed to Arkansas State?  What happened with this exactly?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tim Harris

From what I can see there wasn't a spot for him on our commit list.

Razorpigg

Quote from: tbharris on February 01, 2012, 01:51:47 pm
From what I can see there wasn't a spot for him on our commit list.

Hmmmm.  Right now I see a few spots...

Tim Harris

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 01, 2012, 01:53:43 pm
Hmmmm.  Right now I see a few spots...

I agree but none of us know what the big picture looks like....

HoggyCat

These radio idiots over here say he "flipped" to asu, or they "stole one" from us.

He never had an offer and never committed to us, so how is that so?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

jkstock04

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 01, 2012, 01:57:23 pm
These radio idiots over here say he "flipped" to asu, or they "stole one" from us.

I thought we had offered him?  I have read about him on here for the past few weeks...his name comes up all the time.  Seems at this point in the game a guy we have been on for quite some time we wouldn't tell "thanks but no thanks."

Guess we will see how it shakes out.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HoggyCat

He's signed with asu. None of the sites show us offering him.

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 01, 2012, 02:02:59 pm
Quote from: HoggyCat on February 01, 2012, 02:02:59 pm

And yet you're letting a little radio program bother you? Humes was a plan B that didn't wait until we were going into that phase. You can't blame the kid, bird in the hand you know....

RAF

It's what the folks in Jonesboro want to hear.  Let them have the (false) satisfaction; they don't have much else.

whosiskid

Our offer was contingent. I am expecting some news soon.

My guess is that we are getting in probable order of likelihood:  Diamond, Jacobs, Gregory, Dean.

Should be clearer by this evening when Jacobs announces.

"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Thats how its gonna be w/ Gus.  They'll sign as many of the guys we look at and take the easy way to evaluation.  They'll pump up every prospect we've invited to the hill as a 'steal' from Arkansas as they attempt to make themselves relevant.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: whosiskid on February 01, 2012, 02:15:54 pm
Our offer was contingent. I am expecting some news soon.

My guess is that we are getting in probable order of likelihood:  Diamond, Jacobs, Gregory, Dean.

Should be clearer by this evening when Jacobs announces.

why would be taking Gregory?...good grief

GoHogs1091

Malzahn probably is thinking right now that he pulled a real "coup" by landing Humes.

What Malzahn needs to understand/realize is that he didn't sign as good of Secondary players as Clint Conque did in Conway.  UCA's Secondary Signees are very, very good.  The following is some information about 3 of Conque's Secondary Signees.

Haywood Jeffires III   6'0"  198 lbs.  CB  Pearland, TX

Jeffires III is a "pure" Cornerback who played in Texas High School Football at the 4A level.  He was Texas 4A All-Conference, and he is the Son of former NFL WR, Haywood Jeffires II, who played for the Houston Oilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc7S53hNpnM

Darius Reed   6'2"  185 lbs.  Safety  Houston, TX

Reed was a 2 Time Texas 5A All District Safety, and he was also named All-Conference.  Reed was also a Texas State Track Qualifier in the High Jump.

Aum'arie Wallace   6'1"  185 lbs.  Safety  Little Rock, AR

Wallace had 205 Total Tackles, 9 Interceptions, and 23 Pass Break-ups.  He was 2011 4A All State, and 2 Time 4A Central All Conference.  He was also 2011 ESPN All Arkansas Team.  Wallace might be the best Safety coming out of High School in the State of Arkansas in the 2012 Class (Rivals.com shows Wallace to have more speed than Defonta Lowe).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Aum'arie-Wallace-126028;_ylt=AqDLrLFZZp8d4QEkY3zL9gRIPZB4

Some other highlights of Conque's 2012 Class.

Dawson Hadnot   6'1"  265 lbs.  Garland, TX   Hadnot will probably play Middle Linebacker at UCA. 

Hadnot was a 2 Time Texas 5A All District.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Dawson-Hadnot-132958;_ylt=AluUNqch0ilb46xwUAOv46dIPZB4

Desmond Smith   6'1"  186 lbs.  WR  Bentonville, AR

122 Receptions  2,204 Yards  28 TDs  18.06 Yards per Reception

Smith was 2 Time 7A All State and 2 Time 7A West All Conference.  He was also 2011 All Arkansas (Vype Magazine)

Mid-Year Transfer Signees

Austin Haywood   6'5"  252 lbs.  TE  Moore, OK

Haywood played 2 Seasons at the University of Oklahoma.  He was the 2009 1-6A Oklahoma Player of the Year and 2009 Tulsa World All State.  He was the #7 ranked TE in the Nation coming out of High School in the 2010 Class (per Rivals.com).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Austin-Haywood-93635;_ylt=AvETpMyP8m85wd24LbtiAjNIPZB4

Jacoby Walker   6'2"  216 lbs.  QB  Houston, TX

Walker transferred from the University of Arkansas.  He was the 2010 Texas 13-5A Co-Offensive Player of the Year, and he was 2 Time 5A All District.

Walker was the #33 ranked Dual-Threat Quarterback in the Nation coming out of High School in the 2010 Class (per Rivals.com). 

Courtney Whitehead   6'2"  195 lbs.  WR  Athens, TX

Whitehead transferred from the U.S. Airforce Academy. 

127 Receptions  1,922 Yards  18 TDs  15.1 Yards per Reception

Senior Year of High School (Athens, TX 2010)  72 Receptions  1,056 Yards  11 TDs  14.66 Yards per Reception

Whitehead was rated a 3 Star by Rivals.com.

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012-02-01/2012-university-central-arkansas-football-recruiting-class-signees

Spider-Pig

docpoco

He must be a liar then...

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_29180/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ob8vUjO4

Impressed enough that the 6-foot, 190-pound Jaguar defensive back committed to Arkansas during his weekend visit to Fayetteville.

"I committed on the spot," he said. "When we were about to depart, I met with coach (Bobby) Petrino, coach (Paul) Haynes and coach (Kevin) Peoples. My mom was  in there and we talked about me coming to Arkansas. I was like, I really want to come to Arkansas and they really wanted me there so we sealed the deal on Sunday morning."

Sounds like an offer to me...

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: docpoco on February 02, 2012, 10:55:53 am
He must be a liar then...

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_29180/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ob8vUjO4

Impressed enough that the 6-foot, 190-pound Jaguar defensive back committed to Arkansas during his weekend visit to Fayetteville.

"I committed on the spot," he said. "When we were about to depart, I met with coach (Bobby) Petrino, coach (Paul) Haynes and coach (Kevin) Peoples. My mom was  in there and we talked about me coming to Arkansas. I was like, I really want to come to Arkansas and they really wanted me there so we sealed the deal on Sunday morning."

Sounds like an offer to me...

That's the story of an 18 year old kid.

He did not have a committable offer.

docpoco

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on February 02, 2012, 11:07:17 am
That's the story of an 18 year old kid.

He did not have a committable offer.

I do not know the truth. I know that's not what I was told by a member of our coaching staff. I was told that he DID have an offer, that he was told there might not be room for him at UA depending on the situation, and Gus told him his offer was good until we had no more spots.

He went the safe route, but if he had stuck with his Arkansas commitment he woudl be a hog today based on the way the day played out.

I do know that he is telling a different story, and casual fans will believe that he switched. The first of many, IMO.

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/2012/02/01/humes-pulls-signing-day-switch/

HOOVER — Spain Park senior cornerback Chris Humes went to bed Jan. 31 planning to spend the next four years of his life in Fayetteville, Ark. at the University of Arkansas.

When he woke up Feb. 1, the morning of National Signing Day, his destination had shifted about 300 miles east to Jonesboro, Ark. — the home of Arkansas State University.

Humes said the seeds of his signing day switch were planted during an official visit to Arkansas State the weekend of Jan. 28.

docpoco

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 02, 2012, 12:24:35 am
Malzahn probably is thinking right now that he pulled a real "coup" by landing Humes.

What Malzahn needs to understand/realize is that he didn't sign as good of Secondary players as Clint Conque did in Conway.  UCA's Secondary Signees are very, very good.  The following is some information about 3 of Conque's Secondary Signees.

I hope your really believe that :clap:

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: docpoco on February 02, 2012, 11:20:13 am
I do not know the truth. I know that's not what I was told by a member of our coaching staff. I was told that he DID have an offer, that he was told there might not be room for him at UA depending on the situation, and Gus told him his offer was good until we had no more spots.

He went the safe route, but if he had stuck with his Arkansas commitment he woudl be a hog today based on the way the day played out.

I do know that he is telling a different story, and casual fans will believe that he switched. The first of many, IMO.

HOOVER — Spain Park senior cornerback Chris Humes went to bed Jan. 31 planning to spend the next four years of his life in Fayetteville, Ark. at the University of Arkansas.

When he woke up Feb. 1, the morning of National Signing Day, his destination had shifted about 300 miles east to Jonesboro, Ark. — the home of Arkansas State University.

Humes said the seeds of his signing day switch were planted during an official visit to Arkansas State the weekend of Jan. 28.

So you were told, like I said, that he didn't have a committable offer? He made it sound like his verbal was accepted, but that does not appear to be the case.

"We're offering, but we might not have room for you" is not a committable offer. That's not what they were telling people like the WR that signed with Mizzou, Diamond, Neal, etc.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: docpoco on February 02, 2012, 11:20:41 am
I hope your really believe that :clap:
I would tend to believe it more than the crap posted on a message board.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Aston Martin 8 dude

Jeffires III is a "pure" Cornerback who played in Texas High School Football at the 4A level.  He was Texas 4A All-Conference, and he is the Son of former NFL WR, Haywood Jeffires II, who played for the Houston Oilers.

Reed was a 2 Time Texas 5A All District Safety, and he was also named All-Conference.  Reed was also a Texas State Track Qualifier in the High Jump.

Wallace had 205 Total Tackles, 9 Interceptions, and 23 Pass Break-ups.  He was 2011 4A All State, and 2 Time 4A Central All Conference.  He was also 2011 ESPN All Arkansas Team.  Wallace might be the best Safety coming out of High School in the State of Arkansas in the 2012 Class (Rivals.com shows Wallace to have more speed than Defonta Lowe).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Aum'arie-Wallace-126028;_ylt=AqDLrLFZZp8d4QEkY3zL9gRIPZB4

Dawson Hadnot   6'1"  265 lbs.  Garland, TX   Hadnot will probably play Middle Linebacker at UCA. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Dawson-Hadnot-132958;_ylt=AluUNqch0ilb46xwUAOv46dIPZB4

Smith was 2 Time 7A All State and 2 Time 7A West All Conference.  He was also 2011 All Arkansas (Vype Magazine)

Haywood played 2 Seasons at the University of Oklahoma.  He was the 2009 1-6A Oklahoma Player of the Year and 2009 Tulsa World All State.  He was the #7 ranked TE in the Nation coming out of High School in the 2010 Class (per Rivals.com).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Austin-Haywood-93635;_ylt=AvETpMyP8m85wd24LbtiAjNIPZB4

Walker transferred from the University of Arkansas.  He was the 2010 Texas 13-5A Co-Offensive Player of the Year, and he was 2 Time 5A All District.

Walker was the #33 ranked Dual-Threat Quarterback in the Nation coming out of High School in the 2010 Class (per Rivals.com). 

Senior Year of High School (Athens, TX 2010)  72 Receptions  1,056 Yards  11 TDs  14.66 Yards per Reception

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012-02-01/2012-university-central-arkansas-football-recruiting-class-signees
Well did UCA's Clink leave any room for further future transfers from either the Hill or other major D-1 schools. I'm not sure he could go through a season without getting some kids from other programs.

Ftsmithmike

It was between Arkansas, Auburn and Astate and he picked the program on the rise. Can't blame a kid for making a business decision. With Astates history of first rounders you gotta go where the scouts are gonna see you play every week.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on February 02, 2012, 01:07:20 pm
It was between Arkansas, Auburn and Astate and he picked the program on the rise. Can't blame a kid for making a business decision. With Astates history of first rounders you gotta go where the scouts are gonna see you play every week.

I like this version.
[CENSORED]!

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 02, 2012, 01:07:53 pm
I like this version.
Really does not matter on a message board, pick whatever version of the truth you want. Still does not change the truth.

Not that I have a clue as to what the truth is as far as this kid because I don't, I just read the article.

This gap between what is reported by the media and what is posted on a message board is not shocking, especially in sports. It even happens in Arkansas where the media tends not to stray to far from "giving the people what the people want".
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ThunderHawg

Quote from: docpoco on February 02, 2012, 11:20:13 am

He knew before signing day that Ark didn't have a spot for him, when the LB from Tenn flipped and a DE stuck with us who was visiting other schools there was no spot. DT from Bama got one of the best available spots that was for DGB, Neal, Diamond etc. Humes looks like a very good prospect in which should be happy to have even though he did NOT have an offer from Ark other than to gray shirt.

cashmoneyman_04

did you hear what clint conque said yesterday....he said they aren't competing for GoDaddy.com bowls...they are competing for national championships...I still say UCA becomes the better program of the two. 
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

MountieDawg

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on February 02, 2012, 01:07:20 pm

ASU does have 6 in the NFL right now and most didnt have 2 stars... So you gotta say they develop players.
SEC!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ThunderHawg on February 02, 2012, 04:46:11 pm
He knew before signing day that Ark didn't have a spot for him, when the LB from Tenn flipped and a DE stuck with us who was visiting other schools there was no spot. DT from Bama got one of the best available spots that was for DGB, Neal, Diamond etc. Humes looks like a very good prospect in which should be happy to have even though he did NOT have an offer from Ark other than to gray shirt.

Actually, if Humes' academics weren't iffy, he would have been given the choice to sign with Arkansas. But they were iffy, and he was freed to go somewhere he could qualify more easily.
[CENSORED]!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: cashmoneyman_04 on February 02, 2012, 04:49:51 pm
did you hear what clint conque said yesterday....he said they aren't competing for GoDaddy.com bowls...they are competing for national championships...I still say UCA becomes the better program of the two. 
53-24.  What else could he say?  Just like ASU isn't going to "steal" many recruits from UA, UCA isn't recruiting the same level of athletes and is not a threat to ASU.  ASU grabbed one of their commits the week before signing day and another UCA commit chose to walk on and compete for a spot at ASU.

Any bowl is better than playing at the FCS level.

Kicking Wing

Seriously, just stop.  UCA didn't sign a class anywhere near as good as ASU.  It's like me saying ASU had a better class than UA.  It just doesn't fly.

That isn't to say UCA didn't have a great class.  I think they did and they got players that will help them compete for their first title but it's apples and oranges.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Kicking Wing on February 06, 2012, 12:40:00 pm
53-24. 

You let a DII school with their backup QB score 24 on you, and you're bragging?

LMMFAO

KeithStone

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 06, 2012, 11:05:50 am
Actually, if Humes' academics weren't iffy, he would have been given the choice to sign with Arkansas. But they were iffy, and he was freed to go somewhere he could qualify more easily.

MAN....I watched the kids video and was really amazed at the athleticism.  This is why I post on a message board far too often to be a productive piece of this State's economy and I'm not standing on the sidelines with a headseat.  CBP is the best coach in College Football, his 2012 NC ring he wins with all 3*s should prove that!

Kicking Wing

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 06, 2012, 01:59:09 pm
You let a DII school with their backup QB score 24 on you, and you're bragging?

LMMFAO
It's FCS and while they are no Western Illinois, it could have been MUCH worse if ASU played their starters in the 4th quarter.  Also, UCA was a playoff team in FCS so, yeah, I am bragging after reading all the morons on here over the years proclaiming that they would beat ASU.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 02, 2012, 12:58:31 pm
I would tend to believe it more than the crap posted on a message board.

AState Nation Radio is a glorified message board.

Call in and tell them Barack Obama is pregnant and they'll report it as fact.

booogaga

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 01, 2012, 02:18:03 pm
Thats how its gonna be w/ Gus.  They'll sign as many of the guys we look at and take the easy way to evaluation.  They'll pump up every prospect we've invited to the hill as a 'steal' from Arkansas as they attempt to make themselves relevant.
bingo
GO HOGS!

Dropkick

Quote from: Kicking Wing on February 06, 2012, 02:16:53 pm
It's FCS and while they are no Western Illinois, it could have been MUCH worse if ASU played their starters in the 4th quarter.  Also, UCA was a playoff team in FCS so, yeah, I am bragging after reading all the morons on here over the years proclaiming that they would beat ASU.
Hey congrats, you guys are Sun Belt Champs. I'm not making fun of you. Really, good job!

woodrow hog call

I don't think very many people who aren't on the coaching staff actually know who had an offer and who didn't.
I do remember on DTS when Randy was quoting from the article above about him commiting, Trey Biddy kind of squirmed out of saying it directly, but he implied that he didn't think it was a commitable offer.
That was right after it happened.

Just put yourself in the coaches shoes for a minute; you host a kid and his mother for the weekend, then when you are saying goodbye the kid starts telling you how much he likes it here and he is coming here, but you haven't really decided if you were going to offer him or not.
Doesn't mean the kid can't commit, in fact with him making it public he may have been trying to back them into offering.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

GoHogs1091

53-24.  What else could he say?

I will reiterate, since 2001, with Conque at the helm, UCA is the winningest collegiate football program in the State of Arkansas.

One good year with Hugh Freeze does not equate to a great collegiate football program.   

Cale

53-24.  What else could he say?  Just like ASU isn't going to "steal" many recruits from UA, UCA isn't recruiting the same level of athletes and is not a threat to ASU.  ASU grabbed one of their commits the week before signing day and another UCA commit chose to walk on and compete for a spot at ASU.

Any bowl is better than playing at the FCS level.
Why aren't you trolling a UCA recruiting board with this non-Razorback information?
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

Kicking Wing

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 07, 2012, 04:49:06 pm
I will reiterate, since 2001, with Conque at the helm, UCA is the winningest collegiate football program in the State of Arkansas.

One good year with Hugh Freeze does not equate to a great collegiate football program.   
What is your point?  Pulaski Academy has won more than UCA.  Is Boise St. a better program than UA since they've won more recently?  There is no more room for the UCA smack talk. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Cale on February 07, 2012, 05:22:27 pm
Why aren't you trolling a UCA recruiting board with this non-Razorback information?
Just responding to the "non-Razorback information" and I love associating with people like you.