Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jalen Cobb considering AState

Started by TrueBlue, January 16, 2012, 08:18:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueBlue

http://www.jonesboro.com/newstaffy/item/4230/Cobb%20to%20Malzahn:%20Call%20Me

3kgthog

So, basically those that can't get in here will go to Jonesboro High. I'm so glad we are gong to be a feeder program for ASU via our transfers and academic casualties. *heavy sarcasm*

1hogfan

Best of luck to Jalen.  I'm sorry he can't be a Hog!

online-with-swine

Sucks for us that Jalen can't get here.  The 25 rule is going to hurt the SEC more than they originally figured.

redswarmrising

I thought JC was an academic casualty and was going JUCO?

pedrothelion

Quote from: redswarmrising on January 16, 2012, 08:56:31 am
I thought JC was an academic casualty and was going JUCO?
He probably has the grades to get into ASate and the Sun Belt but not AR and the SEC.

Pragmatic PiG

he's an academic casualty as a prospective SEC player

hogfan98

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 16, 2012, 08:33:31 am
So, basically those that can't get in here will go to Jonesboro High. I'm so glad we are gong to be a feeder program for ASU via our transfers and academic casualties. *heavy sarcasm*

Academic casualties, yes.  Transfers, probably not.  That title will still go to UCA since there is no requirement to sit out a year.  They've been making a living off of our QBs.

ICEman

stAte might have become the haven of the most 4-star and 5-star 'casualty' players of any small-conference school in America.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

SquidBilly

So let me get this straight.  Gus goes to A-State and now our in state players are going to have an out if they don't do what they're supposed to in high school.  Talk about lowering their motivation.  I can hear the convo at the Cobb house.

Mom:  'Jalen get your homework done.  We want you to be able to get into the University of Arkansas.  Coach Petrino wants you there.'

Jalen:  'Maybe later mom.  And really if I don't get it done Coach Malzahn will always let me come play  for him at A-State.'

A-State was never in the conversation before for top recruits in the state.  Gus is apparently cranking up his people helping business.

bamahogfan

When did Warren move to 3 hrs from Jonesboro?

Kevin

this is what gus should do. cannot get in at uofa but can at astate. he should try to get him.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 16, 2012, 09:07:00 am
Gus is apparently cranking up his people helping business.

Say what you will about Gus, but don't lump him in with that mongoloid.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

whosiskid

I guess because my brother teaches as ASU I don't have as much hostility as others here do (though he is far, far, far more a Razorback fan than a . . . something fan . . . not sure what their mascot is now, red something or other?). I actually like that they have improved their program over the past few years and as long as they are never remotely competitors for Arkansas I wish them all the luck in the world.

But I do wonder if the 25 rule is having the effect that they had hoped. Is it helping or hurting us? For example, Harper and Hankins. If the old rules were in place, would Alabama or Auburn have room on their rosters to go after them? So there may be players we are in the hunt for that we might not otherwise have a shot at. But clearly we were hurt with Cobb.

I wonder if they adjust the number soon. Maybe fudge it up to 28.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

razorback44

Not sure why everyone is pissed at Gus. The article states that State hasn't even contacted him. Its just Jalen saying he would be interested if they did call.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

HoggyCat

January 16, 2012, 10:09:26 am #17 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:19:40 am by HoggyCat
Quote from: bamahogfan on January 16, 2012, 09:15:23 am
When did Warren move to 3 hrs from Jonesboro?

Not sure about Warren, but I make it to Dumas from Jonesboro in 3 hrs quite often. So it won't much more than three.

Edited
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

McHogLovin

Quote from: razorback44 on January 16, 2012, 10:08:01 am
Not sure why everyone is pissed at Gus. The article states that State hasn't even contacted him. Its just Jalen saying he would be interested if they did call.

Not sure why anyone is mad at Gus, period.  I didn't like him at Auburn for obvious reasons.  I'm not gonna hold a grudge on him for trying to pick up the best players he can.  And of course he's gonna take kids we offered a year ago but they barely miss getting in.  He'll have UofA talent at A-State.  Plus, he also benifits from CBP going out of state so much. Half the kids Gus gets from Arkansas would have been hogs 10 years ago.

SEdrhawg

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 16, 2012, 10:09:26 am
Not sure about Warren, but I make it Dumas from Jonesboro quite often. So it won't much more than three.

Ummmmm.....

SEdrhawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 16, 2012, 09:46:58 am
Say what you will about Gus, but don't lump him in with that mongoloid.

You're right, I would probably put Malzahn a little lower on the ladder than HDN

Aston Martin 8 dude

Wait a second there big boy. We already have a very successful "feeder program"  (i.e. farm club)in the form of a Conway-based school with the colors of purple, gray and white. 

razorhead94

Jalen doesn't have the ACT score.  He's going to JUCO unless he can raise it.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SEdrhawg on January 16, 2012, 10:19:07 am
You're right, I would probably put Malzahn a little lower on the ladder than HDN

Then you and the truth on this matter are unfamiliar.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The Boar War

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 16, 2012, 10:09:26 am
Not sure about Warren, but I make it to Dumas from Jonesboro in 3 hrs quite often. So it won't much more than three.

Edited

Are you racing crop dusters?

2FNFST4U

I don't get all the animosity toward ASU. It would be great to have another legit option for in state players that can't get into BCS programs. Having a solid program at ASU keeps kids in state and is a win win.

If they got some decent home games lined up I would go see a quality match up.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: McHogLovin on January 16, 2012, 10:15:14 am
..... Plus, he also benifits from CBP going out of state so much. Half the kids Gus gets from Arkansas would have been hogs 10 years ago.
I checked the rosters of both the UofA and ASU. UofA had 48 Arkansans and ASU had 41.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

chiefsfan

Just so im clear on this ahead of time...are you guys going to have massive threads like this every time we actively recruit the same athletes?

This is a 26 post thread about a guy who couldnt qualify for Arkansas anyway.   ASU could oversign and pick him up on the off chance that he happens to pass the ACT in the Spring or Summer, but most people here acknowledge he has a slim chance of doing that.

In between at least 3 of you have massivelly overreacted to the entire issue.  Gus hasnt even contacted Jalen yet...there is no guarantee he will.  Jalen Cobb initiated this entire thread.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on January 16, 2012, 10:38:31 am
I don't get all the animosity toward ASU. It would be great to have another legit option for in state players that can't get into BCS programs. Having a solid program at ASU keeps kids in state and is a win win.

I agree with this, I'd root for astate everytime I see them play just for the fact of friends on the team. I say the more respect that is given to Arkansas, from both teams, the better. I don't think it'll ever be a rivalry that I'd have to worry about losing.
Hey, WPS and Go stAte. This isn't Alabama

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 16, 2012, 11:36:01 am
Just so im clear on this ahead of time...are you guys going to have massive threads like this every time we actively recruit the same athletes?

Yes.

There are a handful of obsessions Hogville has, and Gus Malzahn is one of them.

Tusks

Thats where its going to hurt the hogs........kids that can't get in that the hogs would 'place' at a Juco are just going to
head to asu.....the good thing is most kids the hogs send to juco don't make it back.........so i don't see much of a
difference with Gus there.....just more press.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: nutted on January 16, 2012, 11:48:30 am
Thats where its going to hurt the hogs........kids that can't get in that the hogs would 'place' at a Juco are just going to
head to asu.....the good thing is most kids the hogs send to juco don't make it back.........so i don't see much of a
difference with Gus there.....just more press.

I noticed we are doing a whole lot less of this 'sign and place' than ever used to go on.

We are also looking to JC's for key recruits, as opposed to filling a third of the team in desperation, as used to commonly take place.

booogaga

Everyone knows that Gus is going to bail after one good season at ASU just like every other coach looking for advancement. ASU is a cesspool.
GO HOGS!

iseeredpeople

If a kid isn't motivated enough to make his grades to play for the hogs he isn't going to be motivated enough to play for BP.  Let Gus have them.

booogaga

Quote from: iseeredpeople on January 16, 2012, 12:34:37 pm
If a kid isn't motivated enough to make his grades to play for the hogs he isn't going to be motivated enough to play for BP.  Let Gus have them.
Ding Ding Ding. Plus as a posted before, anyone who goes to A-State because of Gus is silly because the dude will be gone as soon as a better opportunity comes up.
GO HOGS!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 16, 2012, 11:36:01 am

This is a 26 post thread about a guy who couldnt qualify for Arkansas anyway.   ASU could oversign and pick him up on the off chance that he happens to pass the ACT in the Spring or Summer, but most people here acknowledge he has a slim chance of doing that.

In between at least 3 of you have massivelly overreacted to the entire issue.  Gus hasnt even contacted Jalen yet...there is no guarantee he will.  Jalen Cobb initiated this entire thread.

fyi I am going to crap on Astate at every opportunity as long as Gus is there. Try not to take it personal.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

chiefsfan

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 16, 2012, 12:48:22 pm
fyi I am going to crap on Astate at every opportunity as long as Gus is there. Try not to take it personal.

I fully exect it.    As long as you are taking pot shots at Gus and ASU for at least 4 years. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: booogaga on January 16, 2012, 12:38:38 pm
Ding Ding Ding. Plus as a posted before, anyone who goes to A-State because of Gus is silly because the dude will be gone as soon as a better opportunity comes up.

2 years tops

songofthesword

you guys lol come on

this is nothing more than a publicity stunt. he doesn't have a passing ACT score to get into college. Gus signs the kid, gets to puff out his chest about "stealing one from Arkansas", all the while the kid goes to juco. he's not going to A state. he 's not going to any 4 year school. he can't even get into prep school but yes he's going to go to the sun belt. come on guys seriously.

mhuff

Why not hold out and not sign with anyone. He has more time to pass an ACT test. Then, he could always go JUCO or prep.We may have an open schollie if we hold some open for players not signing until NSD or afterwards.

mhuff

Quote from: SEdrhawg on January 16, 2012, 10:19:07 am

I graduated from ASU. My two sons graduated from UA.I have been to maybe 30 ASU games and 80 UA games. I wouldn't let Malzahn take my dog for a walk.... IF I OWNED ONE.

Seminole Indian

Hopefully, it will be for a long time.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

HogCzar1

HoggyCat

Quote from: 2FNFST4U on January 16, 2012, 10:38:31 am

They had Louisville at home this year. Until you're here and hear the animosity a lot of asu fans have for Arkansas, then don't question my animosity for them.

hard_reign2004

There is the belief in NEA that ASU benefits from the hogs being good.  When the hogs are at the top of their game then ASU can get more of the good Arkansas high school kids....  Sounds reasonable...

HoggyCat

This is my sentiment.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 16, 2012, 03:52:15 pm
They had Louisville at home this year. Until you're here and hear the animosity a lot of asu fans have for Arkansas, then don't question my animosity for them.

Louisville was last year.   And you are right...many of our fans do not like Arkansas.   They dont have to, so they chose not too.

It only becomes an issue when the two sides decide to bicker about it because neither can understand the others opinion.  Such is life.

HoggyCat

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 16, 2012, 05:41:43 pm
Louisville was last year.   And you are right...many of our fans do not like Arkansas.   They dont have to, so they chose not too.

It only becomes an issue when the two sides decide to bicker about it because neither can understand the others opinion.  Such is life.

Why do a lot of the ones that HATE (not dislike) Arkansas beg us to buy tickets? That's what pisses me off, especially when some of those don't go themselves. They say I can be fans of both teams..

It goes both ways....................

pigfeet

Quote from: HogCzar1 on January 16, 2012, 03:13:32 pm
How long do you predict? 10 years?

Depends on how long J'boro can put up with Kristi Malzahn. I'm sure she'll be talking down to those folks from NEA.

Birminghog

I'm so glad we are gong to be a feeder program for ASU via our transfers and academic casualties. *heavy sarcasm*
This is how it works for a number of good second-tier teams.  Troy has benefited for years from the leavings from Auburn's table.

A I-AA school where I used to teach had as its coach one of Bobby Bowden's sons.  Rumor had it that a lot of our success came from smart kids down the depth chart at Florida State who would transfer to us & be able to play the first year.  Even down the depth chart at FSU, they were bigger & faster (especially faster) than most players at I-AA schools.

Makes me wonder part of the success at Youngstown State under Tressel came from tOSU near-misses.