Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State thread

Started by Lanny, November 06, 2011, 06:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 08:25:04 am
I'm like most Vol fans (or Florida fans, or Texas fans, or Michigan fans or Notre Dame fans or USC fans), I still feel superior to the Razorbacks and we view your team the same way you view Ole Miss or Mississippi State. The natural order of things will return again and we will dominate teams like Arkansas.

I can see why Razorback fans hate the arrogant fans of these teams but that is really how we feel and nothing will change that.

Funny you mention the Vols with the likes of USC; I guess Lane Kiffin didn't agree.  What he did to Tenner was the mark of a low-life human being, no doubt, but he still kicked you to the curb for a school whose fans feel the same way about Tennessee that you feel about Arkansas.   In the end, I don't mind that Vol fans are arrogant, and I understand it.  You just got clown stomped so "tradition" is the only thing you have at the moment--it's pathetic, but it is predictable.   Yep, we stomped your rear this year, and with Petrino in Fayetteville, I like our chances in the future. 

GotPig?

You should ask Colorado and Washington about this natural pecking order of yours.  They, like Tennessee, won a title and thereafter became punching bags within their conferences and national jokes.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Congrats to the Red Wolves and all their fans! Right about now it seems like a good idea to consider them for membership in the SEC rather than Ole Misery.

chiefsfan

Please note that Seminole Indian despite whatever his name says has openly admitted recently that he is not an ASU fan, he just has a degree from ASU, and likes to talk about them on occasion.  He does not share the same opinion with ASU fans, and we certainly do not claim him as a representative to our views

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: secfan1 on November 13, 2011, 08:50:40 am
Not trying to be negative because I support ASU also..but whoever said ASU fans that talk about Arkansas being scared was correct when he said ASU fans need to let that go and support their own team. 20,000 fans may have been "announced" yesterday but the actual attendance was counted about 6-7,000 shy of that for a big game. Typical.

Were you at the game? 

The lower bowl was pretty much filled, and our lower bowl holds roughly 15-16K, throw in the upper decks and end zones, and the 20K number is pretty accurate.

ASU hand couts at the gate for football...There are alot of schools in FBS who count tickets sold...we do not.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: codeHog on November 07, 2011, 09:10:12 pm
1. How many of ASU starters are from Arkansas?

2. ASU pays their coaches by riping off students who do not even go to games

3. You can get all the free tickets you want for any game

4. The former coach that built the team gets no credit

5. Ole Miss, in a major trade, is sending ASU coach Nutt for Freeze.

1.  Dont know and dont care.  I really dont care either way for recruiting Athletes from Arkansas.  I want the best athletes, regardless of where they are from.

2.Any ASU student who complains abhout our athletic fees can follow my advice and drive about 5 hours west to Fayetville.  Just make sure they stay there and dont come back.   They are some of the lowest in the country and students are given Free Admission to every athletic event. 

3.  that pretty much stopped about 5 years ago.  You can still find free tickets because of promotions, and most ASU season ticket holders who cant go will give their tickets away rather then selling them.  But ASU does not directly offer free tickets to businesses and other fans like they used to.

4.  Roberts gets alot of credit.  But his antics wore thin, and his wife's big mouth made them heartily disliked among groups of ASU fans.  He got us a good ways, but hit his celing and it was time to look in a new direction.

5.  Ole Miss fans may like Freeze, but even most of them will admit it would be foolish to the extreme to hire him with no experience unless literally everbody else in the world turns them down.  And they are still an SEC job.

Lanny

Hopefully for ASTATE they can keep Freeze.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Blue35

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 13, 2011, 03:17:52 pm
4.  Roberts gets alot of credit.  But his antics wore thin, and his wife's big mouth made them heartily disliked among groups of ASU fans.  He got us a good ways, but hit his celing and it was time to look in a new direction.
I had never heard that. What did she do or say?

strawhog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on November 13, 2011, 09:02:47 am
Mr. Indian, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul
+1
Your post made this thread worth reading.

nwarazfan

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 13, 2011, 03:10:06 pm
Were you at the game? 

The lower bowl was pretty much filled, and our lower bowl holds roughly 15-16K, throw in the upper decks and end zones, and the 20K number is pretty accurate.

ASU hand couts at the gate for football...There are alot of schools in FBS who count tickets sold...we do not.

I watched some of the second half on ESPN 3 and the east side lower looked mostly full.  That seats a little over 6,000.   West side had fewer people and seats a little more than 6,000.  Endzone wasn't half full.  I found it really sad.  Felt bad for the ASU players and the university for a game to be that big and that few people showed up.  When I saw the east side I thought there would be 25,000+ there.  When the camera angle showed the upper level of the east side and hardly anyone was in it I was surprised.  I don't know how this program isn't a money drain.  If it can't draw during a season like this maybe its time to admit you aren't FBS worthy. 

Wild Bill Hog

November 13, 2011, 10:02:56 pm #110 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:05:45 pm by Wild Bill Hog
This year is typical of any year when aswho has a good year against some Mickey Mouse schedule.  They'll drop back down into their normal mediocrity.

The_Bionic_Pig

I would rather ASU get to a bowl game and bring in much needed revenue to a instate college!!   Go
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

gohogs14

The hogs can still get to a BCS bowl, arkansas state will go to a bowl, and UCA will probably make the playoffs

Great year for arkansas football teams  :D

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ark30inf

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 13, 2011, 09:37:41 pm
I watched some of the second half on ESPN 3 and the east side lower looked mostly full.  That seats a little over 6,000.   West side had fewer people and seats a little more than 6,000.  Endzone wasn't half full.  I found it really sad.  Felt bad for the ASU players and the university for a game to be that big and that few people showed up.  When I saw the east side I thought there would be 25,000+ there.  When the camera angle showed the upper level of the east side and hardly anyone was in it I was surprised.  I don't know how this program isn't a money drain.  If it can't draw during a season like this maybe its time to admit you aren't FBS worthy. 

I was there and it looked like about 18,000 actual....about the capacity of the old stadium before expansion.  The crowd was very loud, much louder than even previous full capacity games.  The noise caused ULL some problems including a delay of game penalty.  The atmosphere for the game was very good.

ASU has pretty consistent attendance figures that are in the upper range for the league.  ASU fans have continued to support the program in about the same numbers despite mediocre won-loss records over the years.

Traditionally, casual ASU fans increase the numbers when we play certain popular opponents early in the season (Memphis, UCA, Army, etc.) when the weather is good.  Attendance decreases as it gets colder....and deer season always has an impact.  These are facts of life for an underfunded program located in a rural section of Arkansas that has had a lukewarm performance on the field.

In 2010 our attendance was greater than Akron, more than double Ball State, greater than Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Bowling Green, and San Jose State.  We were essentially the same as North Texas and Northern Illinois and pretty close to UAB and LaTech.

ASU stands up pretty well compared to these, many of whom have much greater population bases.  Jonesboro is not San Jose or Buffalo or even Akron in regard to population....but our attendance is comparable.

Counting just students...San Jose State has about 34,000 enrollment and our attendance is better.  Buffalo has 30,000 students and our attendance is better.  Akron has 28,000 and our attendance is better.  North Texas is located just north of several million people and has 36,000 students and our attendance was the same.  Florida Atlantic has 28,000 students and is located in a larger city and our attendance is better.

Why is it necessary to try to find some way to slam a school in your own state on a statistic where they are actually doing quite well based on their population base....enrollment.....and funding?  When your program doesn't even play them?

ark30inf

Quote from: gohogs14 on November 13, 2011, 10:18:15 pm
The hogs can still get to a BCS bowl, arkansas state will go to a bowl, and UCA will probably make the playoffs

Great year for arkansas football teams  :D

They all deserve it.  I also think our high school football is showing improvement.

nwarazfan

Quote from: ark30inf on November 13, 2011, 10:53:32 pm
I was there and it looked like about 18,000 actual....about the capacity of the old stadium before expansion.  The crowd was very loud, much louder than even previous full capacity games.  The noise caused ULL some problems including a delay of game penalty.  The atmosphere for the game was very good.

ASU has pretty consistent attendance figures that are in the upper range for the league.  ASU fans have continued to support the program in about the same numbers despite mediocre won-loss records over the years.

Traditionally, casual ASU fans increase the numbers when we play certain popular opponents early in the season (Memphis, UCA, Army, etc.) when the weather is good.  Attendance decreases as it gets colder....and deer season always has an impact.  These are facts of life for an underfunded program located in a rural section of Arkansas that has had a lukewarm performance on the field.

In 2010 our attendance was greater than Akron, more than double Ball State, greater than Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Bowling Green, and San Jose State.  We were essentially the same as North Texas and Northern Illinois and pretty close to UAB and LaTech.

ASU stands up pretty well compared to these, many of whom have much greater population bases.  Jonesboro is not San Jose or Buffalo or even Akron in regard to population....but our attendance is comparable.

Counting just students...San Jose State has about 34,000 enrollment and our attendance is better.  Buffalo has 30,000 students and our attendance is better.  Akron has 28,000 and our attendance is better.  North Texas is located just north of several million people and has 36,000 students and our attendance was the same.  Florida Atlantic has 28,000 students and is located in a larger city and our attendance is better.

Why is it necessary to try to find some way to slam a school in your own state on a statistic where they are actually doing quite well based on their population base....enrollment.....and funding?  When your program doesn't even play them?

It is nice the fans were into the game.  I had family members who attended it.

You've made my point for me by pointing out even if the teams improve, the money drain will continue.  I didn't post it as a slam.  A State along with those other programs you named shouldn't be playing at this level.  You've wasted tens of millions to increase the capacity of the stadiums which end up at best 2/3 full once or twice a season.  A State will be lucky to break even on the bowl trip after expenses.  The only benefit is advertisment for the university.  It has been shown that athletic success helps gains colleges enrollment.  If being D1 brings in enough applicants to ASU to offset the money drain that football is then maybe its worth it.

I felt bad for the team and the university with that showing of support Saturday.   

Go stAte

Quote from: nwarazfan on November 13, 2011, 11:10:04 pm

You've made my point for me by pointing out even if the teams improve, the money drain will continue.  I didn't post it as a slam.  A State along with those other programs you named shouldn't be playing at this level.  You've wasted tens of millions to increase the capacity of the stadiums which end up at best 2/3 full once or twice a season.  A State will be lucky to break even on the bowl trip after expenses.  The only benefit is advertisment for the university.  It has been shown that athletic success helps gains colleges enrollment.  If being D1 brings in enough applicants to ASU to offset the money drain that football is then maybe its worth it.

I felt bad for the team and the university with that showing of support Saturday.   

hogs drew 72K in a metro area of 463,000 or 15.5%
red wolves drew 20K in a metro area of 121,000 or 16.5%

this of course doesnt account for the overwhelming majority of statewide support for the u of a.  to steal a tired line from the razorback only fanbase, "what do you have to gain" by discrediting the asu program.  you may have felt bad for the team, but i can assure you none of the team or coaches agree.  it was an awesome game and very energetic crowd. 

hogs, redwolves, and uca are a combined 25-6 this season and its pretty [CENSORED] cool.

ark30inf

The original stadium was built in 1975 for $2.5 million....$1.4 million of which was raised from alumni and supporters.

We didn't spend a lot to increase stadium capacity...we put up some aluminum bleachers on the east side to meet capacity rules.

The stadium is old, but we have done a pretty good job taking care of it so far.

There are hopes of increasing the number of luxury boxes for obvious monetary reasons...but not any concept of increasing stadium capacity that I know of.  I am also hoping that we do some modest improvements on concessions and restroom capacity since those are still 1975 era.

ASU received praise from the Department of Higher Education in 2010 for keeping athletic spending in check.  We are not spending a great deal of money, and frankly aren't allowed to spend a great deal of money.  We have one of the lowest athletic budgets of any FBS program and yet are not the most horrible FBS program or the least attended FBS program.

We don't have many resources.  We have had to fight and scratch for everything we have been able to achieve.  NEA is growing now...but it has not traditionally generated a whole crapload of rich donors.  Yet we have moved up from the AIC, to the Southland, to FBS when other programs that started the same as we did....did not.  Programs from other states that were our rivals are mostly still in the SLC...or have defunct football programs. 

It is pretty common for Arkansas fans to compare ASU to SEC-type programs when a more accurate comparison would be to compare with our peers in the AIC...then our peers in the SLC....and now our peers in the Sun Belt.  One could also compare where ASU was in 1967...and where it is now.

On your enrollment point....ASU-Jonesboro appears to be increasing entrance requirements and moving others out into the ASU system schools.  This apparently due to potential changes in funding that would punish schools that are less exclusive.

BustinANutt

I'm like most Vol fans (or Florida fans, or Texas fans, or Michigan fans or Notre Dame fans or USC fans), I still feel superior to the Razorbacks and we view your team the same way you view Ole Miss or Mississippi State. The natural order of things will return again and we will dominate teams like Arkansas.

I can see why Razorback fans hate the arrogant fans of these teams but that is really how we feel and nothing will change that

I can see why Razorback fans hate the arrogant fans of these teams but that is really how we feel and nothing will change that.

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 13, 2011, 08:57:26 am
On my head like everone else. Again, fans of schools like Tennessee know there is a real pecking order in college football and where our teams fit in that order and act accordingly.

49-7 and mercy ruled at that. Times change, ask v.tech, Miami, Florida state, and America.

Seminole Indian

November 14, 2011, 08:10:23 am #120 Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:24:35 am by Seminole Indian

No doubt when you talk about the amount of money spent in the pursuit of football glory ASU does not belong, however when you look at the results they are getting for the money spent it is a whole different story.

ASU is currently # 36 in the BCS rankings ahead of SEC schools Florida #43, Mississippi State #50, Tennessee #54, Vanderbilt #56, Kentucky # 76 and Ole Miss #94.

ASU has been bowl eligible (remember they are FBS) 4 of the last 6 years and hopefully will make their 2nd bowl appearance.

ASU had very competitive showings against all the high profile teams like Texas, Iowa, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Nebraska, Oklahoma state, Louisville, and Virginia Tech during this period.

As I have said in other post, yes just like the real world, the money gap is increasing between the haves and have-not's  in college athletics but the competitive gap is getting smaller and ASUs growing program is proof of that.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

BR

Go AState,  most of Arkansas is supporting you along with our Hogs...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

UncleFrank

Quote5.  No trade.  I doubt Ole Miss makes a run at Freeze this year.  When he leaves it will be for a bigger job and it will be good for ASU because it will be proof you can win at ASU and move up the ladder.

When he (Freeze) leaves, it will be for a bigger job???
Really???
Ole Miss is not a 'bigger job' than ASU?
Or, are you saying that it's not bigger enough than ASU?
Either way, you're wrong.
If Freeze gets offered, he'll leave skid marks leaving Jonesboro.

clutch

Quote from: UncleFrank on November 14, 2011, 10:52:42 am
When he (Freeze) leaves, it will be for a bigger job???
Really???
Ole Miss is not a 'bigger job' than ASU?
Or, are you saying that it's not bigger enough than ASU?
Either way, you're wrong.
If Freeze gets offered, he'll leave skid marks leaving Jonesboro.

I think he was saying that Freeze will probably stick around a little while longer and get a better job offer than Ole Miss.

I'm not sure though. I think if Ole Miss offers then he probably leaves. With that said, he may not want to walk into that mess. It would definitely take some time to rebuild that disaster they are in. He has a good team built here at ASU. He can have a couple more very successful years and be a real high profile name. Holding off would probably be for the best in the long run. Hopefully he will. I don't want to see him at Ole Miss and would like to have him hang around ASU a few more years to keep the program going in the right direction.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: clutch on November 14, 2011, 11:33:56 am
I think he was saying that Freeze will probably stick around a little while longer and get a better job offer than Ole Miss.

I'm not sure though. I think if Ole Miss offers then he probably leaves. With that said, he may not want to walk into that mess. It would definitely take some time to rebuild that disaster they are in. He has a good team built here at ASU. He can have a couple more very successful years and be a real high profile name. Holding off would probably be for the best in the long run. Hopefully he will. I don't want to see him at Ole Miss and would like to have him hang around ASU a few more years to keep the program going in the right direction.
He is saying Ole Miss will probably pass on Freeze this time. If offered I'm confident Freeze would take it, he owes that much to his family. Any coach worth their salt should want to coach at the highest level.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ark30inf

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on November 14, 2011, 08:16:58 am
Go AState,  most of Arkansas is supporting you along with our Hogs...

Thanks a bunch.  Would love to see UA, ASU, UCA all make noise in the post-season.