Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boise State upstaged by UCA

Started by razorback1975, June 02, 2011, 10:39:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sage_dragoon

As an alum, I like it. I think it brings attention to the athletic program(good or bad). UCA needs any advantage it can get. If it is an overall plus to recruiting in anyway, it cannot be bad.
It will not be long before UCA is larger than UALR and ASU (11k vs 12k/13k enrollment respectively for 2010-2011 year). And as the soon to be largest college in central arkansas with D1 athletics, I can see it rivaling UA (21k enrollment for 2010) within the next 10 years. Hell, we might be having those UA/ASU conversations that include UCA down the road. I think it's funny how UA won't play ASU and ASU alums get mad, but ASU canceled their series with UCA several years ago after they were almost upset by the then Div II school.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

saturnthegiant

Quote from: sage_dragoon on June 02, 2011, 11:07:11 pm
As an alum, I like it. I think it brings attention to the athletic program(good or bad). UCA needs any advantage it can get. If it is an overall plus to recruiting in anyway, it cannot be bad.
It will not be long before UCA is larger than UALR and ASU (11k vs 12k/13k enrollment respectively for 2010-2011 year). And as the soon to be largest college in central arkansas with D1 athletics, I can see it rivaling UA (21k enrollment for 2010) within the next 10 years. Hell, we might be having those UA/ASU conversations that include UCA down the road. I think it's funny how UA won't play ASU and ASU alums get mad, but ASU canceled their series with UCA several years ago after they were almost upset by the then Div II school.

And yet this year on 9/29/11 ASU and UCA play football......go figure!  Guess you didn't check the schedule, huh?

1highhog

How many people does UCA's Stadium seat?  From that picture, it looks awfully small, like a High School Stadium, Does anyone have any other pictures showing the entire Stadium?

East Clintwood

It is small.  Around 8000 or 8500 if I remember correctly.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

YepItsMe

I think it looks good.  A lot better than Boise States.  If it was all purple I think it would look horrible but the mix with the grey looks awesome

Johnny America

Quote from: ErieHog on June 02, 2011, 05:19:33 pm
Never has been, never will be;    Eastern Washington has the red turf.

The rule is that D1 teams can not have colored fields. Boise State was grandfathered in.
God is not real.

Doug

Does anyone think that UCA wouldn't have done this without checking to see if they would violate any rules like that?  I remember when Lanny brought this to my attention, either late last year or VERY early this year, and I seem to remember reading that UCA had gotten the color issue addressed with the compliance departments (both at the school and at the division levels)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Johnny America

Quote from: Douglas on June 03, 2011, 10:23:40 am
Does anyone think that UCA wouldn't have done this without checking to see if they would violate any rules like that?  I remember when Lanny brought this to my attention, either late last year or VERY early this year, and I seem to remember reading that UCA had gotten the color issue addressed with the compliance departments (both at the school and at the division levels)

Sure they would. I remember seeing the ESPN segment about the Eastern Washington field. They said that FBS teams can not have colored fields now. UCA is not in the FBS so they can have a colored field.
God is not real.

Hawg Balling

In 10 years? Hardly. The U of A would have to remain stagnant (for a decade, mind you) while UCA would have to nearly double its current enrollment.  Also overlooked is the fact that UA's endowment is nearing the $1 billion threshold, while UCA's is $22 million.  This "we'll be rivaling the U of A soon!" nonsense is mere tugging at coattails.  No doubt ASU proponents were making similar claims years ago. 

Kicking Wing

You aren't a very attentive alum.  Under Lu, UCA ramped up admissions and passed everyone but UA. They even printed up T Shirts and made commercials about it.  Since he left and the finances went south, they fell back to fourth in enrollment behind ASU and UALR.  ASU is expected to break 14K this year.  Enrollment has little to do with athletic success anyhow.

Someone else already pointed it out, but ASU and UCA play this year in football and have played in other sports recently.  Corliss backed out of a scheduled basketball game this year against ASU but they have a deal to start playing next year.

Back on topic, the field looks awful.  I keep hearing that "any publicity is good" from UCA fans (especially those I know that really don't like it).  I think Ohio St., Anthony Weiner and John Edwards would disagree with that stance.

clutch

I would say that it is serving its purpose and that is to draw attention of national media and recruits. The high school aged kids these days love that kind of stuff. I personally talked to a recent hog commit tonight and I know he loved the new UCA field. That's what they are shooting for. Not saying that it is going to draw UofA recruits away, but it will get them more attention from the prospects they are shooting for.

kingofdequeen

TNhogfan

Quote from: Johnny America on June 03, 2011, 11:02:55 am
Sure they would. I remember seeing the ESPN segment about the Eastern Washington field. They said that FBS teams can not have colored fields now. UCA is not in the FBS so they can have a colored field.
There is no rule.  The NFL recently passed the "Boise Rule" making all NFL fields be green, but the NCAA has no rule other than for the end zone to contrast with the playing field and for the lines to be white.

Jborohog09

that field looks terrible. Glad I will not be attending any games there anytime soon.

sage_dragoon

Quote from: saturnthegiant on June 02, 2011, 11:40:30 pm
And yet this year on 9/29/11 ASU and UCA play football......go figure!  Guess you didn't check the schedule, huh?

That's awesome...I'm glad they are bringing that game back. Thanks for the info.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Tone

Quote from: clutch on June 04, 2011, 03:03:02 am
I would say that it is serving its purpose and that is to draw attention of national media and recruits. The high school aged kids these days love that kind of stuff. I personally talked to a recent hog commit tonight and I know he loved the new UCA field. That's what they are shooting for. Not saying that it is going to draw UofA recruits away, but it will get them more attention from the prospects they are shooting for.

This is the point!!!!!!!!  You got it.  It doesn't matter what us OLD people think about the field, it is about the kids.  I showed my 13-14 year old and he loved it. You not recruiting 30-50 year old men to play football there. 

Remember the Oregon Ducks uniforms when they first came out? No one liked them did they, especially the old guard traditionalist.  Now everyone is going to the uniforms because it attracts attention and the kids to something new and unique.  Like black socks, baggy shorts etc.   

razorbacker3

I am usually very traditional in my views and opinions, but I have always liked Boise States' field and I like UCA's also. I really hate the red field at EWU. I also liked the LSU field as it would look with purple and yellow that someone made up last year.

Johnny America

Quote from: TNhogfan on June 04, 2011, 06:52:49 am
There is no rule.  The NFL recently passed the "Boise Rule" making all NFL fields be green, but the NCAA has no rule other than for the end zone to contrast with the playing field and for the lines to be white.

When ESPN had the segment on the Eastern Washington field I really thought they said there was a rule now for D1 schools. I really do not know though. Not that big of a deal to me since I will not be going to a game at a colored field any time soon.
God is not real.

Veritas Arkansas

The primary reason that UCA grew like it did under Lu Hardin was that he directed the University to violate State law in terms of the percentage of university money that could be spent on scholarships and advertising.

Now that Hardin's uppins have come...you won't see UCA skyrocket in growth like it has been.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

UCAHOG

To all my fellow razorback fans, please read this. I am a diehard razorback fan, always have been, always will be. I was born in California and moved to the great state of Arkansas at the age of 4. All of my family are originally from Arkansas. I own a farm in northwest AR. Im an arkansas boy! I attended high school in central arkansas. I will never forget the first razorback game I attended when I was a kid at War Memorial stadium, and calling those hogs. It put the hooks in me, and I still love my "Backs". ALWAYS WILL!  THE BEST IN THE SEC BABY !!!!!
NOW READ THIS! ESPECIALLY CHORTLE !!!
You say your gonna piss on the field at UCA. As i read your pathetic blog, it seems you must live close by, well, guess what, SO DO I ! And I would like an invitation to meet you at the AWESOME looking new field at UCA. Its time you get a little-- lets just say Attitude adjustment! Give me a shout old buddy! ANYTIME!!!! Right now after reading a lot of the responses from my fellow razorbacks fans, I must say Im a little embarassed. A bunch of you (NOT ALL) sound like Ole piss fans. I go to the football games at UCA on a regular basis, and I`m here to tell you, they put on a pretty damn good show! And the field! I have driven by nearly every day for the last two weeks, and I can tell you it looks GREAT! Of course not everyone is gonna like a multi colored field. But you know what they say, "opionions are like A/*holes, everybodys got one! I would like to think that all of those that are spouting hate about it, are smart enough to know, that UCA knew that when they decided to do it. DUH.
Heres 5 things Im gonna do this fall!
     1. Go to all the UCA home games cause they are great!
     2. Attend as many HOG games as possible cause` they are great!
     3. Cheer UCA on to a division championship and post-season play in the FCS playoffs, and hopefully a national championship!
     4. Cheer the hogs on to an SEC championship, and hopefully an FBS national championship.
     5. Kick Chortles A/* !
UCA plays in D1AA (FCS)
AR plays in D1A (FBS)
For those of you that haven`t figured it out yet, the FBS is comprised of the "Big boys" and the FCS is comprised of mostly smaller schools  (YOU CAN NOT COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES HERE PEOPLE!)
UCA plays Ole Piss AT Ole Piss next year(2012) in the first game of the season. I would like to think, and genuinly hope, that all of my fellow Razorbacks fans would root for UCA to beat Ole Piss on that day. After seeing some of the hate thrown toward UCA on here, Im not sure if that is going to happen, and thats a shame. Someone even put on here that the coach sucked because he wore his hat backwards during the games. Gimme a break. I am quite surprised that many of my fellow hog fans are acting this way towards this great school in Central Arkansas. I would HIGHLY recommend to all of you that can, to try and attend a UCA home game this fall. You will see a great atmosphere, great tradition, a great game, a wonderful band. AND THE MOST UNIQUE LOOKING FIELD IN THE COUNTRY! And it looks GREAT!
     GO HOGS!!!!!!
     GO UCA !!!!!
Hog fans have class
UCA fans have class
I bet we can all support each other and live in harmony with very little effort!

TNhogfan

Quote from: Johnny America on June 04, 2011, 03:45:52 pm
When ESPN had the segment on the Eastern Washington field I really thought they said there was a rule now for D1 schools. I really do not know though. Not that big of a deal to me since I will not be going to a game at a colored field any time soon.
I wouldn't go to a game at one of those colored fields either.  To me, common sense says that it would be a rule that the field is green, but until March even the NFL had never spelled that out.  I think E WA red field is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.  Of course, Oregon's new basketball court is pretty bad also.

chortle

Quote from: UCAHOG on June 04, 2011, 04:41:53 pm
To all my fellow razorback fans, please read this. I am a diehard razorback fan, always have been, always will be. I was born in California and moved to the great state of Arkansas at the age of 4. All of my family are originally from Arkansas. I own a farm in northwest AR. Im an arkansas boy! I attended high school in central arkansas. I will never forget the first razorback game I attended when I was a kid at War Memorial stadium, and calling those hogs. It put the hooks in me, and I still love my "Backs". ALWAYS WILL!  THE BEST IN THE SEC BABY !!!!!
NOW READ THIS! ESPECIALLY CHORTLE !!!
You say your gonna piss on the field at UCA. As i read your pathetic blog, it seems you must live close by, well, guess what, SO DO I ! And I would like an invitation to meet you at the AWESOME looking new field at UCA. Its time you get a little-- lets just say Attitude adjustment! Give me a shout old buddy! ANYTIME!!!! Right now after reading a lot of the responses from my fellow razorbacks fans, I must say Im a little embarassed. A bunch of you (NOT ALL) sound like Ole piss fans. I go to the football games at UCA on a regular basis, and I`m here to tell you, they put on a pretty damn good show! And the field! I have driven by nearly every day for the last two weeks, and I can tell you it looks GREAT! Of course not everyone is gonna like a multi colored field. But you know what they say, "opionions are like A/*holes, everybodys got one! I would like to think that all of those that are spouting hate about it, are smart enough to know, that UCA knew that when they decided to do it. DUH.
Heres 5 things Im gonna do this fall!
     1. Go to all the UCA home games cause they are great!
     2. Attend as many HOG games as possible cause` they are great!
     3. Cheer UCA on to a division championship and post-season play in the FCS playoffs, and hopefully a national championship!
     4. Cheer the hogs on to an SEC championship, and hopefully an FBS national championship.
     5. Kick Chortles A/* !
UCA plays in D1AA (FCS)
AR plays in D1A (FBS)
For those of you that haven`t figured it out yet, the FBS is comprised of the "Big boys" and the FCS is comprised of mostly smaller schools  (YOU CAN NOT COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES HERE PEOPLE!)
UCA plays Ole Piss AT Ole Piss next year(2012) in the first game of the season. I would like to think, and genuinly hope, that all of my fellow Razorbacks fans would root for UCA to beat Ole Piss on that day. After seeing some of the hate thrown toward UCA on here, Im not sure if that is going to happen, and thats a shame. Someone even put on here that the coach sucked because he wore his hat backwards during the games. Gimme a break. I am quite surprised that many of my fellow hog fans are acting this way towards this great school in Central Arkansas. I would HIGHLY recommend to all of you that can, to try and attend a UCA home game this fall. You will see a great atmosphere, great tradition, a great game, a wonderful band. AND THE MOST UNIQUE LOOKING FIELD IN THE COUNTRY! And it looks GREAT!
     GO HOGS!!!!!!
     GO UCA !!!!!
Hog fans have class
UCA fans have class
I bet we can all support each other and live in harmony with very little effort!

If you're man enough to kick my ass, I won't be hard to find. I'll be over at the field taking a leak on it.

Johnny America

Quote from: TNhogfan on June 04, 2011, 04:52:13 pm
I wouldn't go to a game at one of those colored fields either.  To me, common sense says that it would be a rule that the field is green, but until March even the NFL had never spelled that out.  I think E WA red field is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.  Of course, Oregon's new basketball court is pretty bad also.

I kind of dig the Oregon b-ball court. I have never tried to watch a game on it though. Not sure how it would stand up during live action.
God is not real.

kingofdequeen

the real question is:

when does A-State take a stab at this wanton tomfoolery?

JBucc

At least it doesn't blind you like that red field does. My eyes hurt looking at that thing, this one just makes me shake my head at it's ugliness. An all grey field with purple sidelines and yard markers would have looked much better. Or just leave it normal....
Read the guidelines for signature images.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on June 04, 2011, 03:49:34 pm
The primary reason that UCA grew like it did under Lu Hardin was that he directed the University to violate State law in terms of the percentage of university money that could be spent on scholarships and advertising.
Now that Hardin's uppins have come...you won't see UCA skyrocket in growth like it has been.
Pretty much tells the sordid tale of LuCA's "growth" under Lu Hardin.
They will be paying for his transgressions for a long time to come, they're still not on solid financial footing.
No doubt Hardin (now a convicted felon awaiting sentencing) would have liked the bush league purple painting of the field....as long as it would have had his picture on it.

IronHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on June 04, 2011, 03:49:34 pm

Actually UCA did most of it's growth under a guy named Thompson.

Faculty ran him off and Lu undid all the stuff he had done right............
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

batman15

Quote from: Douglas on June 02, 2011, 11:45:33 amWhen you're competing for talent against UofA....

I quit reading right here.

clutch

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 04, 2011, 07:21:35 pm
the real question is:

Hey now, we just laid down some fine new green turf last season so turf is not needed. What is needed is an indoor practice facility.

HoggieStyle

Ugly and stupid.

Grass is green and school colors are for the endzones.

IronHog

Quote from: HoggieStyle on June 05, 2011, 02:50:44 pm

Grass is green and school colors are for the endzones.

Turf isn't grass.

Funny how many people think turf should automatically be green because football was once played on grass.........
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ark30inf

I think UCA is going to have a tough time expanding as much as many think.

The location of their campus is terrible and allows little room for on-campus expansion.  During the adventures of Lu they had to take out a lot of their green space to try and put up enough dorm rooms to keep up with his enrollment-gasm.  That really turned a nice small school campus into more of a commuter school campus.

The traffic layout in Conway is crazy/horrendous and nobody seems to have the ability to solve it.  Diagonal streets, stoplights every 10 feet and all mis-timed.  Dave Ward expansion helped but UCA still seems difficult to get to.

Estes Stadium is too small for a big-time program and the current location is not really conducive to rebuilding larger on campus.  Also no available parking for anything larger really.

Finances appear to be improving but things are rough all over even without the Lu hangover.  Faculty/administration relations were quite difficult at one point...not sure if they are better.

UCA has a few challenges.

ark30inf

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 04, 2011, 07:21:35 pm
the real question is:

ASU is looking to expand the press box structure the length of the stadium for skyboxes/luxury suites.  That appears to be the next focus.

porkmeister

The turf isn't so bad.  I may get used to it someday, and if UCA gets a recruiting bump out of it then so much the better.  It does make the ASU crowd uncomfortable to see UCA being bold and standing out.  That is when they say the campus is too small and can't grow, the city infrastructure doesn't promote growth.  However UCA and Conway continue to grow just fine, and the positive potential in Conway outweighs the challenges.  UCA doesn't compete with the Arkansas, and is carving a niche out of their own.  Arkansas can support a top notch FBS team and a top notch FCS team.

HawgPound

I drove by and it didn't look that bad to me. Before seeing it in person I expected the alternating colors to be awful but after seeing it I think it looks much better this way than it would all purple.

clutch

Quote from: ark30inf on June 05, 2011, 03:20:53 pm
ASU is looking to expand the press box structure the length of the stadium for skyboxes/luxury suites.  That appears to be the next focus.

ASU doesn't need to worry about expanding their stadium any right now. If they are going to dump money into anything it should be an indoor practice facility. The stadium is big enough already to handle the crowd. I haven't seen the place full since the Memphis game that was rained out.

UCAHOG

Chortle

In the parking lot Behind the home side stands at 7 p.m. monday 6/6

No weapons

I will be in a white 09 GMC pickup

hogwild210

Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

kitarae

ark30inf

Quote from: porkmeister on June 05, 2011, 04:34:36 pm
The turf isn't so bad.  I may get used to it someday, and if UCA gets a recruiting bump out of it then so much the better.  It does make the ASU crowd uncomfortable to see UCA being bold and standing out.  That is when they say the campus is too small and can't grow, the city infrastructure doesn't promote growth.  However UCA and Conway continue to grow just fine, and the positive potential in Conway outweighs the challenges.  UCA doesn't compete with the Arkansas, and is carving a niche out of their own.  Arkansas can support a top notch FBS team and a top notch FCS team.

I'm familiar with both schools and both cities, I can assure you UCA doesn't make me "uncomfortable".  UCA is an FCS school in the Southland with a single campus, the same place ASU was years ago.  Now UCA has made a fantastic showing entering FCS and the Southland and I enjoy seeing them beat the teams ASU played back when I was a kid.

ASU is the only school in its region whereas UCA has to compete with UALR and Tech as well as the JC's at UACCM and ASUB and of course Hendrix.  This is a disadvantage for UCA.  UCA's main deal is establishing itself as THE university in central Arkansas, LR, and the river valley....it is competing with UALR and Tech in that....not ASU.

UCA has an advantage over ASU in quality of new students due to the higher quality of school districts in their region as opposed to those in northeast Arkansas.  ASU is upping it's entrance requirements a bit and trading some enrollment numbers for higher quality which is a change and will be interesting to see how that works out.

UCA's Honors program is excellent and something to be proud of.

Conway itself is doing a pretty decent job of converting from manufacturing to a higher tech base.  Jonesboro hasn't done well in that arena.  This is an instance where having UCA, Hendrix, UALR, Tech, etc. in the same footprint has paid off in convincing companies that an educated workforce is in place.   

However Conway seems like a city that still thinks and plans like it only has 10,000 people and there are lots of bandaids.  Conway has serious problems with the way it is laid out that only major changes will fix and there seems to be no movement toward that.  Jonesboro seems to have better planning as a city.

Conway is essentially a bedroom community for Little Rock.  Jonesboro/Paragould has been isolated from the rest of Arkansas forever and developed pretty much as an independent economy.  Memphis is close enough to visit, but not close enough to influence.  Jonesboro is the dominant partner in its planning area, Conway is another part of the Little Rock area.  There are both benefits and drawbacks to being attached to Little Rock.

Four-lane between Jonesboro/Paragould and Memphis has been in place for several years and very soon they will finally be connected to central Arkansas by four-lane all the way for the first time ever.  There should be an economic impact there.

UCA and ASU both ought to be worrying on things like UALR and the nanotechnology center which is providing that university with something to be proud of.  If UALR develops other programs of that variety and gets more deeply involved in research...it could surprise both UCA and ASU.

The problems I mentioned with UCA are real and not imagined.  It is a good school...but it has challenges.  I mention them because some folks always say that UCA has some quick and easy road to a dominant #2 position.  There is no such quick and easy road.

A lot of people who talk about ASU and UCA don't really know that much about them.  Honestly, UCA and ASU should be cooperating with each other rather than some faux competition.  UCA has competition closer to home.

I am glad that they will be playing each other in the fall.  If an FBS is going to play an FCS I prefer that it be one that brings some emotional interest into it.  However I don't like the "once every 10 years" things.  Make it every year or two or not at all.

ark30inf

Quote from: clutch on June 05, 2011, 05:03:19 pm
ASU doesn't need to worry about expanding their stadium any right now. If they are going to dump money into anything it should be an indoor practice facility. The stadium is big enough already to handle the crowd. I haven't seen the place full since the Memphis game that was rained out.

It doesn't have much to do with attendance...it has to do with the extra money that such boxes will bring in.  You are right about the indoor practice facility...but revenues get higher billing.

ark30inf

Oh yeah...I think that purple striped field is hideous.  I can't imagine what it will look like when McNeese comes to town in their blue and yellow.  Eyeballs may explode.

But...if you are recruiting in Texas (which UCA does) and you have some recruit who isn't recruited by an FBS school and has seen a whole bunch of crappy FCS stadiums....that sort of crazy just may catch their eye and differentiate you from the crowd.  It is probably worth a shot.

porkmeister

Quote from: ark30inf on June 05, 2011, 06:01:16 pm
I'm familiar with both schools and both cities, I can assure you UCA doesn't make me "uncomfortable".  UCA is an FCS school in the Southland with a single campus, the same place ASU was years ago.  Now UCA has made a fantastic showing entering FCS and the Southland and I enjoy seeing them beat the teams ASU played back when I was a kid.

ASU is the only school in its region whereas UCA has to compete with UALR and Tech as well as the JC's at UACCM and ASUB and of course Hendrix.  This is a disadvantage for UCA.  UCA's main deal is establishing itself as THE university in central Arkansas, LR, and the river valley....it is competing with UALR and Tech in that....not ASU.

UCA has an advantage over ASU in quality of new students due to the higher quality of school districts in their region as opposed to those in northeast Arkansas.  ASU is upping it's entrance requirements a bit and trading some enrollment numbers for higher quality which is a change and will be interesting to see how that works out.

UCA's Honors program is excellent and something to be proud of.

Conway itself is doing a pretty decent job of converting from manufacturing to a higher tech base.  Jonesboro hasn't done well in that arena.  This is an instance where having UCA, Hendrix, UALR, Tech, etc. in the same footprint has paid off in convincing companies that an educated workforce is in place.   

However Conway seems like a city that still thinks and plans like it only has 10,000 people and there are lots of bandaids.  Conway has serious problems with the way it is laid out that only major changes will fix and there seems to be no movement toward that.  Jonesboro seems to have better planning as a city.

Conway is essentially a bedroom community for Little Rock.  Jonesboro/Paragould has been isolated from the rest of Arkansas forever and developed pretty much as an independent economy.  Memphis is close enough to visit, but not close enough to influence.  Jonesboro is the dominant partner in its planning area, Conway is another part of the Little Rock area.  There are both benefits and drawbacks to being attached to Little Rock.

Four-lane between Jonesboro/Paragould and Memphis has been in place for several years and very soon they will finally be connected to central Arkansas by four-lane all the way for the first time ever.  There should be an economic impact there.

UCA and ASU both ought to be worrying on things like UALR and the nanotechnology center which is providing that university with something to be proud of.  If UALR develops other programs of that variety and gets more deeply involved in research...it could surprise both UCA and ASU.

The problems I mentioned with UCA are real and not imagined.  It is a good school...but it has challenges.  I mention them because some folks always say that UCA has some quick and easy road to a dominant #2 position.  There is no such quick and easy road.

A lot of people who talk about ASU and UCA don't really know that much about them.  Honestly, UCA and ASU should be cooperating with each other rather than some faux competition.  UCA has competition closer to home.

I am glad that they will be playing each other in the fall.  If an FBS is going to play an FCS I prefer that it be one that brings some emotional interest into it.  However I don't like the "once every 10 years" things.  Make it every year or two or not at all.

+1 Can't say I disagree with you.  I'm looking forward to traveling to Jonesboro this fall.  Hopefully it will be a good game. 

ark30inf

Quote from: porkmeister on June 05, 2011, 06:39:55 pm
+1 Can't say I disagree with you.  I'm looking forward to traveling to Jonesboro this fall.  Hopefully it will be a good game. 

It certainly was good the last couple of times!  I don't know if my ticker can handle that much good again.   

clutch

Quote from: ark30inf on June 05, 2011, 06:04:18 pm
It doesn't have much to do with attendance...it has to do with the extra money that such boxes will bring in.  You are right about the indoor practice facility...but revenues get higher billing.

Yeah I know, I'm just not sure how good the boxes would go over. I guess they would be able to fill them up, but it will take a lot of people out of the stands which will look bad.

centarkswine

I like UCA's new football field. It's definitely better than Boise State's field.

chortle

Quote from: UCAHOG on June 05, 2011, 05:38:36 pm
Chortle

No weapons

7 PM? Is that what time your shift ends at Subway on Farris?

Johnny America

Quote from: UCAHOG on June 05, 2011, 05:38:36 pm
Chortle

No weapons

What is sad is that I really believe this idiot will be there. Waiting to fight someone from a message board. haha
God is not real.