Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas v. Arkansas State

Started by dr_arkansawyer, February 15, 2011, 07:30:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JonesHog

Here's a reason why the Hogs and ASU SHOULD play. Arkansas State would play the Razorbacks for free I guarantee you. So, for the hogs and their athletic department it would be better. Instead of paying ULM $700,000 to go to their OUT OF STATE schoool, Arkansas could schedule ASU, get their rent a win, and not pay anything. Arkansas State on the other hand would probably be hurt financially by the move but they want to play the hogs so bad that they wouldn't care. The game would no doubt be a sell out.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: JonesHog on February 16, 2011, 05:06:36 pm
Here's a reason why the Hogs and ASU SHOULD play. Arkansas State would play the Razorbacks for free I guarantee you. So, for the hogs and their athletic department it would be better. Instead of paying ULM $700,000 to go to their OUT OF STATE schoool, Arkansas could schedule ASU, get their rent a win, and not pay anything. Arkansas State on the other hand would probably be hurt financially by the move but they want to play the hogs so bad that they wouldn't care. The game would no doubt be a sell out.

ASU couldn't afford to play for free.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

JonesHog

QuoteASU couldn't afford to play for free.
Last year they played Louisville and Indiana for free. Anyways, they would certainly do it for less than ULM, Troy, North Texas, FIU (played these teams since 2005) would. Even next year we have Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy all 3 we're going to blow out and I just think we could blow someone out for less by playing ASU.

ThunderHawg

I'm almost positive ASU got paid well to play Indiana, and Louisville did give ASU a home game so that is a completely different story. Auburn paid them like 1million

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cdclark09 on February 16, 2011, 11:37:04 am
At the risk of starting a GSD, if someone was so worried about the money in the state then getting the LSU game moved to the stadium with 25K more seats would be more of a priority. 

The only reason to play ASU is because some ASU fans 'wanna shot at the big dogs.'  That's all it is.  There is nothing logical about playing that game... it's all emotional and illogical by ASU fans. 
Also what about all the money the other team we pay to come here and their fans spend here. It doesn't go to the UA but it does go to the economy of Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

February 16, 2011, 06:08:07 pm #105 Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:09:48 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 15, 2011, 07:30:19 pm
Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.  I am a UofA grad, but I'm moving to Jonesboro soon and plan on supporting A-State as much as possible.  IMHO there is no logical reason as to why these two teams shouldn't play every year.  If Egyptians can peacefully oust an entire government, surely Hogvillians can get these two teams to play each other.

You want 1 single reason? or many...as have been supplied so far.

Arkansas has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Why do ASU a favor? You gain nothing in revenues, you gain nothing in recruiting. Already playing other Sunbelt teams. And I am quite sure that if this game did take place ASU would either want to play home and home(in Jonesboro...16,000 capacity...ain't happening) or at WMS....ugh. Why not just write them a check for $300K and be done with it. All they want is the paycheck anyway and that is the only substantial reason for this discussion. Problem is, the benefit only goes one way and if Arkanasas needs a more credible "rent-a-win", they need to look elsewhere. ASU adds nothing to SOS and that is credible factor when it comes down to rankings.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kicking Wing on February 16, 2011, 02:21:30 pm
There's absolutely no logical reason to avoid playing but it isn't going t happen because one team simply doesn't want to play.  I feel like I've read all of these posts before.
Your avatar says all I need to know.

HOGtradition

Quote from: DZ on February 15, 2011, 07:40:18 pm
I'd rather see us play a team from the Pac-10, Big 12, Big 10, or ACC rather than a sun belt team. It doesn't help us.

This is no argument.  Replace UTEP or one of the 1-AA schools we play and schedule ASU. If that happens you lose your argument.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 16, 2011, 03:39:22 pm
I do plan on supporting A-State once I get to Jonesboro, because I support Arkansans.  I won't stop being a hog fan, but I will start being a red-wolves fan.  There's nothing wrong with that.  And I stand by my argument that the Hogs should play A-State.
I've never been to an ASU game. I can drive to the Hog games with a blindfold on. If you're going to support ASU and ALL Arkansans you should buy season tickets to every school in the state.

Inhogswetrust

When did Dean Lee tell you this?

reddcell

This is a terrible idea- like Hindenburg bad.

For the Hogs if they win they are supposed to... if they lose disaster so the Hogs get nothing and risk tons.
For reference a few years ago Colorado picked up Colorado State on an annual basis to be played at Mile High on their schedule ... at the time it was thought that CSU was an easy win... Times change and now they compete for recruits money fans everything.

UAROCKDOG

If there was a game, the tough question would be if you play with SEC officals or Sun Belt?

hoghiker

Lanny. Mersy please. Can we get an auto delete on this topic. Same idiots, same questions, same answers. Either u understand this question or you don't. Always wanted to, uh, spend time with my best friends sister. She wanted to. I didn't think it was a good idea.

Choctaw Hog

As ignorant as the original post.

UAROCKDOG

All games will be sold out next year!

arkansastrack

Quote from: Pig Latin on February 16, 2011, 04:54:20 pm
Yeah those of us who simply grew up razorback fans going to everygame with their father, but chose Astate as a teenager because I wasnt thinking and went with my high school friends to college as a group, we are not real razorbacks, just joe schmoe fans.  whatever, i am fine with that label, i will still pay my donation to keep my season tickets with the hogs, and you can keep your superiority complex.   This qoute actually made me mad because I was proud of you for rooting for all Arkansas teams like we ALL should do.  As for playing AState: why do we let LaMonroe count Little Rock as a home game.  What the hell have they done for us... nothing.  I dont see a need for UofA to play AState, but the UofA shouldnt give this handout to a out of state school. 

And on second thought, screw you, I am a razorback.  I am also an indian(before Red Wolves)
The Hogs pay ULM hardly anything in return for them counting LR as a home game...actually a brilliant move by the U of A that saves them probably $500k a year. There was a good article about it in the AR DEM GAZ last year before the game. Another benefit is that the Hogs don't have to count the 54k or so as attendance so it makes our home attendance look better for the year :)

j-mann

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 16, 2011, 06:08:07 pm
You want 1 single reason? or many...as have been supplied so far.

Arkansas has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Why do ASU a favor? You gain nothing in revenues, you gain nothing in recruiting. Already playing other Sunbelt teams. And I am quite sure that if this game did take place ASU would either want to play home and home(in Jonesboro...16,000 capacity...ain't happening) or at WMS....ugh. Why not just write them a check for $300K and be done with it. All they want is the paycheck anyway and that is the only substantial reason for this discussion. Problem is, the benefit only goes one way and if Arkanasas needs a more credible "rent-a-win", they need to look elsewhere. ASU adds nothing to SOS and that is credible factor when it comes down to rankings.
A-STATE is  30'427  sill too small    and most games only draw 15'000   they have some of the best Faust in the sun beit yet cant  win   Astarte  lacks the death to comate with any big 6    now  Basketball is different   Brady is better than pefelhey sadly   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

cdclark09

Quote from: j-mann on February 16, 2011, 09:30:52 pm
A-STATE is  30'427  sill too small    and most games only draw 15'000   they have some of the best Faust in the sun beit yet cant  win   Astarte  lacks the death to comate with any big 6    now  Basketball is different   Brady is better than pefelhey sadly  
huh?

j-mann

Quote from: cdclark09 on February 16, 2011, 09:40:33 pm
huh?
i have a hard time typing due to my Cereal Palsy and arthritis   without spell check   it can be very hard to understand my typing i mean  Astarte  has too small a stadium to play ark   and a-state is near even in hoops  with u of a   i meant A State has nice things as far as the sun beit is conred   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

rickm1976

Yeah, let's play ASU.  While we're at it, let's play Tech, UAM, Hendrix, Ouachita Baptist and the rest of the teams in the state.  Let's leave the SEC and play in the Sunbelt too.  Wow, we'd go undefeated every year.  How cool is that!

Sivad

Give me one reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.

We would miss the constant whining.

vandybuff

February 17, 2011, 06:30:26 am #122 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:48:27 am by vandybuff
I think if both schools wish this to happen, fine; if not, fine.  It could be that ASU could benefit more financially by playing some other school --- and also Arkansas could pay less for some of it's opponents than ASU would demand.

two modifications in a two line statement:  sorry that I seemingly am 'learning to type' as you watch :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

TorsinAHog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 15, 2011, 09:49:52 pm
To be honest about the only place I here anyone talking about playing the UofA is on a Razorback message board.

Maybe it dawned on the ASU fans, that their players and coaches should focus on beating teams like Texas, Iowa, Texas A&M , Auburn, Alabama,Nebraska, LSU, Tennessee that were on their schedule, and not a team that was not. Fact is they have had some good games with these teams.

Yes and quite an impressive record against them.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Pig Latin

Quote from: arkansastrack on February 16, 2011, 09:16:22 pm
The Hogs pay ULM hardly anything in return for them counting LR as a home game...actually a brilliant move by the U of A that saves them probably $500k a year. There was a good article about it in the AR DEM GAZ last year before the game. Another benefit is that the Hogs don't have to count the 54k or so as attendance so it makes our home attendance look better for the year :)

How conveeenient
Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

buckhawg

I don't like mismatched in-state rivalries.  We play one every year at OSU and can't win no matter what the score is.  Either we piled it on or it was too close.  NO WIN situation for the big school.
Now having said that maybe I'm missing something on the money argument.
These are made up numbers to illustrate what I think to be a way of looking at the numbers
U of A pays Troy 700,000
ALA.  pays ASU    700,000
net to state         00000

U of A pays ASU   700,000
net to state   700,0000

Not saying it is a reason to play just saying that I think it does keep the money in the state which can only benefit the state.

wholehog92

Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 15, 2011, 07:45:31 pm
extra game in Arkansas every year
Are you implying a home and home series?  We already play our rent a wins in AR.
Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 15, 2011, 07:45:31 pm
get in line with the rest of the country, whereby SEC schools play other schools from their state

bottom line - in state rivalries are good for both programs.

Other states do this because they have the population/money base for it.  You really think Auburn or Bama wouldn't be better off if every state SEC level prospect only had 1 in state school to choose from that was a major school?  What about FL or TX?  What if there was only 1 major football school to choose from all that talent?  Are you seriously telling me that wouldn't improve 1 of them?  When you are as small as we are, diluting your resources is not a good idea.  College athletics is a buisiness and is run like one.  Academia would surely see it differently.  I propose the quiz bowl teams from the respective schools get a rivalry started.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: buckhawg on February 17, 2011, 07:52:07 am
I don't like mismatched in-state rivalries.  We play one every year at OSU and can't win no matter what the score is.  Either we piled it on or it was too close.  NO WIN situation for the big school.
These are made up numbers to illustrate what I think to be a way of looking at the numbers
U of A pays Troy 700,000
net to state         00000

U of A pays ASU   700,000
net to state   700,0000

Not saying it is a reason to play just saying that I think it does keep the money in the state which can only benefit the state.

Yes, you are missing something.  Because in your math, you don't account for the 700,000 k LOST by not having LSU pay LSU.

If UA pays LA Monroe, then 700,000 leaves the state, and UA is 700,000 poorer.
If LSU pays ASU, then 700,000 enters the state, and ASU is 700,000 richer.
Net to state - 0

Now, if UA pays ASU 700,000, then UA is 700,000 poorer, and ASU is 700,000 richer.
Net to state:  ZERO

IT'S THE SAME EXACT RESULT!
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

bsking

Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.  I am a UofA grad, but I'm moving to Jonesboro soon and plan on supporting A-State as much as possible.  IMHO there is no logical reason as to why these two teams shouldn't play every year.  If Egyptians can peacefully oust an entire government, surely Hogvillians can get these two teams to play each other.

A better question is, what is logical about them playing.  I'll answer...nothing.

buckhawg

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 17, 2011, 08:33:45 am
Yes, you are missing something.  Because in your math, you don't account for the 700,000 k LOST by not having LSU pay LSU.

If UA pays LA Monroe, then 700,000 leaves the state, and UA is 700,000 poorer.
If LSU pays ASU, then 700,000 enters the state, and ASU is 700,000 richer.
Net to state - 0

Now, if UA pays ASU 700,000, then UA is 700,000 poorer, and ASU is 700,000 richer.
Net to state:  ZERO

IT'S THE SAME EXACT RESULT!

thank you.  I knew I had to be missing something obvious!  I'm usually not that dense.

Seminole Indian

February 17, 2011, 09:42:24 am #130 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:44:50 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: TorsinAHog on February 17, 2011, 06:42:47 am
Yes and quite an impressive record against them.
About what one would expect but the fans and players still enjoyed the games. The fact is ASU is a middle-of-the-pack SBC football program and the fan base knows that.

They just realize that the SBC is getting better and because of increased TV coverage (those national TV games during the week are a big, big deal)and more bowl tie-ins, they have an opportunity to grow their program. I look for them to regularly have 30K+ crowds at their home games starting next year. They are also able to recruit better athletes.

As far as playing Arkansas, I have not heard one ASU fan bring up the subject so it appears that it is a nonissue to ASU fans. Their focus seems to be becoming the best SBC team.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

cdclark09

U of A pays Troy 700,000
net to state         00000

U of A pays ASU   700,000
net to state   700,0000

Nope, bad math

Justifiable Hogicide

As surely as day always becomes night, you can continue to count on this sad and tiresome plea coming from the despair that is Arky State football.

Seminole Indian

February 17, 2011, 09:51:57 am #133 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:14:46 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on February 17, 2011, 09:47:13 am
As surely as day always becomes night, you can continue to count on this sad and tiresome plea coming from the despair that is Arky State football.
I think it is coming from somewhere other than ASU or its fan base. Like this one, started by a Razorback fans who is moving to Jonesboro.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hogsanity

Play it, but only on the following terms:

1.  In Fayetteville

2.  Nov non conf game.

3.  ASu gets $250K payout

4.  If ASU loses they go to div 1aa where they belong. Since they have never had a winning season since joining d1. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JonesHog

By the way, asu is playing uca next year. They don't have much to gain from that match up either.

RAF

Quote from: JonesHog on February 17, 2011, 10:58:16 am
By the way, asu is playing uca next year. They don't have much to gain from that match up either.
UCA sure doesn't.

cdclark09

Quote from: JonesHog on February 17, 2011, 10:58:16 am
UCA must be doing them a favor.

Seminole Indian

February 17, 2011, 11:14:01 am #138 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:22:48 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: dxf04 on February 17, 2011, 11:03:58 am
UCA sure doesn't.
The truth is just not in some, folks is it? Obviously the truth is both schools though there was some benefit or they would not have scheduled the game.

Based on this thread it is also obvious ASU needs however many fans UCA can bring to add to their 16 fans. The other 30K or so, people there will be Razorback fans with nothing else to do.

losthawg68

UCA has more fans that Ark ST.  They have 31, almost double.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

RAF

U of A pays Troy 700,000
net to state         00000

U of A pays ASU   700,000
net to state   700,0000

Faulty economic theory.  There's no "state" money involved.  I know you don't literally mean "state government" money, but that's the basis for the argument.  The only time the "keep the money in-state" argument works is when you're talking about tax dollars (or other public funds).  In this case, we're talking about money leaving the UA athletic dept. and going to another athletic dept.  No public money involved at all. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: dxf04 on February 17, 2011, 11:03:58 am
UCA sure doesn't.
Getting whipped is not going to help UCA at all.

Piggfoot

Arkansas schedules their games to prep  for the SEC schedule. When A-State can put 50,000 fans in Jonesboro it may happen.
Why shouldn't Arkansas play home and home with UCA or UAPB? Crazy
UAPB ,UCA, A-State are know where near the same league and prestige as the teams in the SEC who play instate teams.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Jack The BN

I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

phadedhawg

I'd like to see Arkansas and Arkansas State play...especially if the UA marches towards a more NW Ark centric base...

Either way it would just be cool to see 'em play.  I don't understand the Ark State hate...what have they ever done that was worthy of hatred?  They are still Arkansans and I would be happy to support them against anybody but us...

Seminole Indian

February 17, 2011, 03:56:57 pm #145 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:40:31 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: losthawg68 on February 17, 2011, 12:05:04 pm
UCA has more fans that Ark ST.  They have 31, almost double.
Well your post answered some questions I had about this message board. I wondered if you had to be really, really  smart to get all those stars and be a Hall of Fame Hogvillian and more importantly did you have to have a lot more "+" than "-".

You answered all my questions that in one post. Shoot I might have a chance.

cdclark09

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 17, 2011, 03:56:57 pm
did you have to a lot more "+" than "-".

Shoot I might have a chance.

The fact that you don't have to be smart does leave you with a puncher's chance.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: cdclark09 on February 17, 2011, 04:00:43 pm
The fact that you don't have to be smart does leave you with a puncher's chance.
Don't think I don't know that, but because those  "+" might be hard for me to come by, that was my biggest worry.

losthawg68

Don't let the internet cause you to need a hemorrhoid donut to sit in you computer chair.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

UncleFrank

Actually, I think UCA does have something to gain by playing ASU.
While people who follow in-state college football closely know that UCA is a program on the rise, I'd wager there are still lots of folks who are more casual fans (rabid Razorbacks or enthusiastic Red Wolves, but not followers of other teams, in general) who may still not associate UCA with any particular 'brand' of football. There may even be some outside of Central Arkansas who aren't even sure what a 'UCA' is, or where's it located at.
Everybody has heard of, and is fairly familiar with, ASU, though.

And if Mr. Suave Sports Anchor on the 10 O'clock News reports that UCA just went out and whipped the Red Wolves, I think it will definitely open up some more eyes to the much-improved state of their program in Conway.
It might even cause some reasonably good recruits who are headed toward Jonesboro to reconsider and at least give UCA a look. You never know.

Some pretty nice players come out of Northeast Arkansas and the Delta from time-to-time (like DeAngelo Williams and Artez Brown) and right now--if they don't go to Fayetteville--their default choices usually seem to be either A-State, Memphis, or Ole Miss.
I'm sure UCA would like to put an Artez Brown type of player on the field, too.
A win over ASU would absolutely help UCAs exposure and credibility.

On the other hand, I really don't see how this helps ASU much--if any--at all.
I'm sure they'll be favored to win.............so...........even if they win by 20 or 30, people will simply say that's to be expected.  And, if they should happen to lose, a goodly number of people are gonna start asking what's wrong in Jonesboro, and wondering how they could've lost to the Bears.
Really, when you think about it, it's sort of no-win situation for ASU. What can they possibly gain by playing UCA, even if they beat them every time?

Hey...........Wait a minute!.........I believe I've heard this same argument somewhere before, pertaining to two other teams that some people seem to think should be playing one another!
Doesn't make any more sense for those two to play than it does for UCA and ASU.
Difference is...........UA seems to know and recognize that and ASU........well..........don't have any idea what they're thinking in regards to playing UCA...........they may regret not thinking about a little longer, though, before it's all said and done!