Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas v. Arkansas State

Started by dr_arkansawyer, February 15, 2011, 07:30:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_arkansawyer

Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.  I am a UofA grad, but I'm moving to Jonesboro soon and plan on supporting A-State as much as possible.  IMHO there is no logical reason as to why these two teams shouldn't play every year.  If Egyptians can peacefully oust an entire government, surely Hogvillians can get these two teams to play each other.
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

East Clintwood

No, never.  We're a small state that's more or less unified behind the Razorbacks.  The last thing we need to do is divide the fanbase into smaller chunks.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Razorwho

No football, basketball is in the tank, I fear the GSD will be next.

j-mann

i live  in jonesboro as well  5 min from asu  stadium   they need to be  in 1-AA   where they can win    i am a HOG  until i die 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

DZ

I'd rather see us play a team from the Pac-10, Big 12, Big 10, or ACC rather than a sun belt team. It doesn't help us.

dr_arkansawyer

Quote from: East Clintwood on February 15, 2011, 07:36:20 pm
No, never.  We're a small state that's more or less unified behind the Razorbacks.  The last thing we need to do is divide the fanbase into smaller chunks.

What are you talking about?  It's obvious that the razorbacks would (likely) win every year.  How does that siphon fans from the fanbase?  And do you realize how what you've said implies that Arkansas should have a monopoly over Arkansans and that people shouldn't have a choice. 
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt

dr_arkansawyer

Quote from: DZ on February 15, 2011, 07:40:18 pm
I'd rather see us play a team from the Pac-10, Big 12, Big 10, or ACC rather than a sun belt team. It doesn't help us.

>implying we don't play at least one sunbelt team every year

Theodore Roosevelt

cdclark09

There is no benefit to the University of Arkansas to play AState... NONE.  There is your logical reason for a pretty dumb question.

dr_arkansawyer

Quote from: cdclark09 on February 15, 2011, 07:43:35 pm
There is no benefit to the University of Arkansas to play AState... NONE.  There is your logical reason for a pretty dumb question.

keep money in state
extra game in Arkansas every year
better exposure for recruiting
get in line with the rest of the country, whereby SEC schools play other schools from their state

bottom line - in state rivalries are good for both programs.

Theodore Roosevelt

cdclark09

February 15, 2011, 07:53:04 pm #9 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:05:04 pm by cdclark09
Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 15, 2011, 07:45:31 pm
keep money in state
get in line with the rest of the country, whereby SEC schools play other schools from their state

Keep the money in state... how does that benefit the U of A?
Extra game in Ark... a rent a win home game would be the game replaced by the in state "rivalry" so it's already being played here
Better exposure for recruiting... how?  do the Hogs have a hard time recruiting the studs from Jonesboro?
All of the other SEC schools have instate SEC teams or another legit in state team... not a Sunbelt bottom feeder.

Bottom line - in state game with A State would be less than worthless to the U of A and it could only harm them.

Root66

Quote from: dr_arkansawyer on February 15, 2011, 07:30:19 pm
Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.  I am a UofA grad, but I'm moving to Jonesboro soon on supporting A-State as much as possible.  IMHO there is no logical reason as to why these two teams shouldn't play every year.  If Egyptians can peacefully oust an entire government, surely Hogvillians can get these two teams to play each other.

I hi-lited your first mistake. I'll let you figure the others out yourself.

farmhawg

Wow, didn't take long for this to pop up again.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Choctaw Hog

Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually.  I am a UofA grad, but I'm moving to Jonesboro soon and plan on supporting A-State as much as possible.  IMHO there is no logical reason as to why these two teams shouldn't play every year.  If Egyptians can peacefully oust an entire government, surely Hogvillians can get these two teams to play each other.

If you have to ask this question then no logical answer will suffice.  It will be over your head.  Have fun supporting ASU.

Choctaw Hog

keep money in state

"better exposure for recruiting"
By playing ASU?  LOL.

BroomeHog33

Because Frank Broyles don't want to and thats that.
Razorbacks in Attack Mode!

4thdownnutt

whose missouri big state rival - i cant quite seem to remember?

4thdownnutt

whose lsu big state rival -I can t quite seem to remember?

cdclark09

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on February 15, 2011, 08:05:49 pm
Their big instate rival is Kansas I think... oh wait

El Guapo

Here is THE reason why Arkansas should never play AState

WE DON'T WANT TO LEGITIMIZE ASU'S RETARTED MOVE TO D-1!

Arkansas state could have stayed 1-AA and absolutely dominated that division (like they were on the verge to do before they moved up) with all of the delta and memphis kids who got overlooked by the big boys. They could have been the App state, montana. They would have been THE destination for many of these river delta area kids.

what are they now? A just below average team in the WORST conference in america.

stupid move ASU.

It is always better to be the prettiest girl in the small town than to be lost and unnoticed in the city.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

jesterzzn

Give me one logical reason that Arkansas will not play A-State annually. 

Because its fun watching people like you pitch a fit about it.

4thdownnutt

keep money in state? when ark JR plays a big non conf team they actually bring money into the state -- how does that exchange of money inside the state help anything?

Root66

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on February 15, 2011, 08:05:49 pm

Who is Nebraska's? Creighton?

hodgehog

Wild Bill Hog

Has anyone ever started a thread about this before?

4thdownnutt

Jek Tono Porkins

February 15, 2011, 08:14:22 pm #25 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:16:13 pm by ReddieHawg
keep money in state- We already do that when we play other rent-a-wins in Razorback or War Memorial Stadium. Those teams pay us to get beat at home. Playing Arkansas State would just be another rent-a-win. There really is no point in doing it.

extra game in Arkansas every year- Again, A-State is a rent-a-win. If we played, say, Missouri State, we would play them in War Memorial or DWRRS. Unless you're insinuating that we should play a 13-game regular season, which is absolutely retarded.

better exposure for recruiting- Do you honestly think that? How would playing A-State give us better exposure for recruiting?

get in line with the rest of the country, whereby SEC schools play other schools from their state- Ok, let's run this down by state:
-Louisiana- LSU plays Tulane. They've been doing it since 1893, and Tulane was in the SEC for a while. It's tradition. UofA/A-State is not a tradition, and never should be.
-Mississippi- Ole Miss and Miss State- 2 SEC teams.
-Alabama-Auburn- 2 SEC teams
-Tennessee/Vandy- 2 SEC teams
-Kentucky- Plays western kentucky and eastern kentucky rotating years. But who really cares about Kentucky football anyway? Basketball is King in Kentucky.
-Georgia- Plays Georgia Tech (ACC).
-Florida- Plays Florida State (ACC).
-South Carolina- Plays Clemson (ACC).
The only comparison within the SEC that makes sense is Kentucky, which nobody really cares about anyway.

No, they're not, and I don't really care about A-State. Nobody does except the people that go there. Then they graduate and realize "A-State sucks. I'll cheer on Arkansas' team: The Razorbacks."
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

cdclark09

How about that big LSU v. LA Monroe game?  That's some game every year isn't it?

4thdownnutt

reddiehog - the only flaw in you re response is kyjelly plays louis ville.  otherwise u hit the nail on the head

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on February 15, 2011, 08:18:08 pm
reddiehog - the only flaw in you re response is kyjelly plays louis ville.  otherwise u hit the nail on the head
Good call, but my point still stands. I've never heard anyone say, "We should model our football program after Kentucky's."
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

4thdownnutt

I tell u what well play ark jr if
1) ua gets all the revenue
2) ark jr plays uca before us and uapb after us
3) ark doesn t take out its first team - ever
  now lets see how bad ark jr wants to play

El Guapo

Quote from: ReddieHawg on February 15, 2011, 08:19:20 pm
Good call, but my point still stands. I've never heard anyone say, "We should model our football program after Kentucky's."

Actually... That is EXACTLY what you are saying!
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

Lake City Hog

Look, I have lived in the Jonesboro area for almost 40 years and I have heard it all. I have had arguments with ASU fans for years and this is the where the UA/ASU scenario plays to with over 80% of the ASU fans.
Get the series started by promising games in Fayetteville every year, that's how every discussion starts. " We'll play in Fayetteville every year" and then about 10 minutes into the conversation it becomes "move the games to Little Rock"  and then it works it's way to the real objective. It now becomes "I don't see why they can't come to Jonesboro at least once every 4 or 5 years" because "we deserve a home game every now and then".

Ask Ole Miss and Miss St how that worked out with Southern Miss!

4thdownnutt

tell u what when ark jr wins squat lets take up this conversation then, until then this is null and void!

1highhog

This is a stupid thread, you do realize that all the Games would have to be played in RRS and because of the game being such a boring game, no one would want to watch.  We need to quit playing these bottom feeder Sun Belt teams anyway, at least we could step up in Competition a little and play some Big 12-2 teams.

Hawghiggs

Womens Basketball. Astate and the UofA should play each other in Womens basketball.

4thdownnutt

Seminole Indian

Played a rugby match the other day.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

4thdownnutt

oh boy who won?  if ark jr won that means they are superior to ua

roothog229

ANOTHER one of these threads?

It's simple...it's an absolute stupid business decision to play Ark. State. If you have a near monopoly of the state's fan base and media attention, why give it up?

Say UA plays Ark. State and beats them 68-0. Ark. State still will get more followers from people who criticize UA for running it up. Say UA wins 31-21...then Ark. State will get more casual fans in east Arkansas that would pay less to go watch almost competitive football. Either way, it's a win-win for them, a no win for us.

The argument about keeping money in the state is ludicrous. It cancels out in that UA gives money to out-of-state schools, but Ark. State collects it from out-of-state schools.

It's 100% business. If you have all the cards...why give any away? That's why Jeff Long's kept the policy...let's face it, he might keep coaches around too long, but no doubt the guy is about $$$$$$, and he knows that Ark. State is a dollar drainer.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: 1highhog on February 15, 2011, 08:31:04 pm
This is a stupid thread, you do realize that all the Games would have to be played in RRS and because of the game being such a boring game, no one would want to watch.  We need to quit playing these bottom feeder Sun Belt teams anyway, at least we could step up in Competition a little and play some Big 12-2 teams.
Not sure why the name calling but I have only seen a few athletic contest between the UofA and ASU, including a normally boring track meet back in the 80s, and they were anything but boring.

Doubt that a football game or anyother contest between the two schools would be any different.

Well that rugby match was boring but I did not see it.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

RAMhawg

Please tell me you're not really a Dr.???  Don't know if this will make sense to you but Arkansas is only capable currently of producing between 5 and 10 SEC caliber football players.  If for some reason A State were to win a game, the possibility of diluting the talent in Arkanss would be very noticeable.  What is so tough about understanding this?  Let's  all hope we have two mediocre teams from Arkansaas instead of just one. Ha!  How about A State quit playing football, that would be my preference, then Arkansas would have a really good walk on program. 

Wildhog

February 15, 2011, 09:35:32 pm #41 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:07:25 pm by Wildhog
Reluctantly crouched at the starting line...engines pumping and thumping in time.  The green light flashes.  The flags go up.  Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Fatmanhog

I never saw the no benefit as a factor. We dont benefit by playing any sunbelt team. That being said I kinda wish we would play them and destroy them and then we would never have to talk about this again.I do disagree with the poster that said it would be boring and nobody would watch, i think everyone would be there, BUT i really believe that ASU thinks this would help them in some wierd way either by recruiting or whatever.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Fatmanhog

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 15, 2011, 09:34:10 pm
Not sure why the name calling but I have only seen a few athletic contest between the UofA and ASU, including a normally boring track meet back in the 80s, and they were anything but boring.

Doubt that a football game or anyother contest between the two schools would be any different.

Well that rugby match was boring but I did not see it.

hey the late 80's basketball game was exciting
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Seminole Indian

February 15, 2011, 09:49:52 pm #44 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:58:08 pm by Seminole Indian
To be honest about the only place I here anyone talking about playing the UofA is on a Razorback message board.

Maybe it dawned on the ASU fans, that their players and coaches should focus on beating teams like Texas, Iowa, Texas A&M , Auburn, Alabama,Nebraska, LSU, Tennessee that were on their schedule, and not a team that was not. Fact is they have had some good games with these teams.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: fatmanhog on February 15, 2011, 09:41:01 pm
hey the late 80's basketball game was exciting
only because I thought if ASU won I would not get out of there alive. I made the mistake of setting with my cousin who was a starter on the football team. Don't think he was going to help me at all.

HogCzar1

For the approaching 10000000th time, we have in the past taken time to logically and systematically explain why the UA has no reason to entertain ASU.

I, for one, am so tired of ASU supporters with nothing else to do bringing up this worn out topic.

For the original poster, here is an idea when you move to Jonesboro. Work a little harder. Dig in your pockets a little (make that a lot) deeper, and send Dean Lee a check. Send one often.

Make sure you attend every game you can. Attend the Tuesday Night ESPN 2 games. Go buy some Red Wolf attire. Put a license plate on your vehicle. Paint yourself little wolfs on your cheek.

But, leave the Razorbacks out of it.

Sed76

I'd rather seem them play ASU than ULM or whatever other crappy team they play early on.

HogCzar1

Sed, if you want to watch ASU play, then they have plenty of seats available.

Pigdiana Jones

ASU would get destroyed by the Hogs. Arkansas's third stringers would beat their starters up and down the field all game long.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."