Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which In-state match up would you rather see?

Started by ADAM_713, July 31, 2008, 10:11:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Which would you rather see?

UA Vs. UCA
49 (17.6%)
UA Vs. ASU
215 (77.1%)
UA Vs. UAPB
15 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 264

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: Razorback56 on July 31, 2008, 11:25:42 am
i vote none.

i wouldn't mind seeing ASU vs. UCA, though

Had a contract to play when I was at UCA beginning in '96.  ASU had to score on the last play of the game and send it to overtime to win (at home).  They couldn't stomach that they very well could lose more than they won vs UCA and cancelled the series.  Apparently they saw they had "nothing to gain and a lot more to lose."  In my mind they have no gripe about UA not wanting to play them. 
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

Brownie Tuggle

July 31, 2008, 12:55:11 pm #51 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:56:51 pm by Brownie Tuggle
Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on July 31, 2008, 12:49:19 pm
LSU/ULM isn't valued.

Maybe in Monroe, but LSU doesn't care.

ASU/UA would be the same.

I dont care what's valued in Monroe or Baton Rouge. LSU could play the Czech Republic every year for all I care. But were 2 pages deep on ASU vs UA and unless you're living up Frank Broyles anal cavity, guess what? people in Arkansas care. You can be excluded, because you don't care if the Hogs play K.C. & the Sunshine Band as long as they dont play the Dead Wolves of ASU!

ADAM_713

July 31, 2008, 01:00:19 pm #52 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:02:40 pm by ADAM_713
1)  Their is no rivlary only because there has never been a game.  people have talked about it for years though.

2)  We are the only state  that I can think of off the top of my head where the major university refuses to play any in state schools.
      -this makes us look scared to lose.

3)  I couldn't agree more with one of the above posters.  We are two pages deep into this, there is defintely interst in a game.  Of course not on a rivalry level yet,  but there is interest.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on July 31, 2008, 12:55:11 pm
I dont care what's valued in Monroe or Baton Rouge. LSU could play the Czech Republic every year for all I care. But were 2 pages deep on ASU vs UA and unless you're living up Frank Broyles anal cavity, guess what? people in Arkansas care. You can be excluded, because you don't care if the Hogs play K.C. & the Sunshine Band as long as they dont play the Dead Wolves of ASU!

You don't speak for the "people of Arkansas".

You care.  It doesn't mean everybody else does.

ASU cares but only because they compare everything they do to the U of A.

I don't care if we play ASU or not, but the loud minority of folks clamoring for some in-state "rivalry" or thinking the game will be some grand annual event for the state of Arkansas are delusional.

I love guntr.

Feral Hog on 9/10/08 on Nutt's inability to conserve timeouts:
QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 01:00:19 pm
1)  Their is no rivlary only because there has never been a game. 

There's no rivalry because ASU belongs in the Southland Conference with UCA, and was until 1987.

If you believe the U of A would be "rivals" with a D1-AA school, then you have a very low opinion of our program.

Just because their name is "Arkansas State" doesn't mean darn.

Are Mizzou and Missouri State rivals?

No, they aren't.

I love guntr.

QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

ADAM_713

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on July 31, 2008, 01:00:37 pm

I don't care if we play ASU or not, but the loud minority of folks clamoring for some in-state "rivalry" or thinking the game will be some grand annual event for the state of Arkansas are delusional.

I am not trying to be rude, but I mean what are you basing the point of view of "no one being interested" off of?  It seems like everytime I am tailgating or around Hog fans and this topic is brought up that there is always an overwhelming amount of people that would at least like to see a game happen.
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

OahuHawg

July 31, 2008, 01:08:52 pm #56 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:24:39 pm by Klynt21
Tired of hearing the ASU/UA arguement. It won't happen. Honestly why should UA schedule ASU? That would basically be throwing ASU a favor and why should they do that. In 95 & 96 ASU played UCA for a couple of games and almost got beat by them ,35-34, so ASU hasn't scheduled them since. So I'm tired of hearing ASU fans wanting an in-state game. But if there had to be one I would say UCA n' ASU. Red Wolves wouldn't do that cause there's nothing to gain and a lot to lose from that. Sound familiar?  Although if UAPB continues to improve then maybe a UA-UAPB or UAPB-ASU game would be a cool in-state rivalry. As Far as UA goes though, they are in their own class as of now so until someone steps close to that level, I'll take Big XII OOC games instead.
Sorry Started rambling (its early)

Richard_white

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 01:05:25 pm
I am not trying to be rude, but I mean what are you basing the point of view of "no one being interested" off of?  It seems like everytime I am tailgating or around Hog fans and this topic is brought up that there is always an overwhelming amount of people that would at least like to see a game happen.

No, I agree a game with ASU would be more interesting than a game with WIU.  I think the average fan agrees with that.  I also think the average fan doesn't really give a rip either way. 

Its the folks who base their strong desire to have this game played on their desire to have an in-state rival that I don't understand.

UA doesn't have an in-state rival because none of the in-state teams are worthy of being considered rivals.

Its not like we have an Auburn or a Mississippi State or even a Colorado State in our back yard we are refusing to play.

We don't.

We have a barely treading water D1-A program who averages 13k fans per game at their home stadium, on the other side of the state.

Who gives a rip if we play them or not?
I love guntr.

ADAM_713

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on July 31, 2008, 01:10:31 pm
No, I agree a game with ASU would be more interesting than a game with WIU.  I think the average fan agrees with that.  I also think the average fan doesn't really give a rip either way. 

That is my main point.  I think that playing a game in state would be more interesting than watching us kill a team like Western Illionois. I don't think there could be a rivalry anytime soon between ASU and UA, maybe even ever because you are right they can barely keep their heads above water.   I do believe a team like UCA has a better shot, but again that is years away.    I think that we should lay a foundation now to play instate schools, with the possiblity in twenty years to reap the benefit of an instate rivalry when the other schools have stronger programs.
true story...

BigDrDon

There is only one reason to play ASU,to benifit ASU.
To play any lower tier school there must be something to gain for UA and I see none in playing ASU.
   I think its time to move forward not back.It's time to distance UA from the crappy ooc scheduleing of the past.Hopefully when the current contracts are fulfilled BP and Mr.Long will fill the same way.The crap with ULM was a deal that TCTWF wanted to help some of his homeys on thier coaching staff.Now they have moved to Oxford as well so it is time for UA to move on.

Lets fill that spot with a more worthy apponent along the lines of military school or Rutgers or a North Carolina.If the entire program has been remodeled its also time to upgrade the schedule! :razorback:
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

pitbull1

Arkansas plays ULM this and what I've heard they might have just about everyone back from last years team that beat Alabama.  Arkansas better not overlook them.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on July 31, 2008, 01:03:04 pm
There's no rivalry because ASU belongs in the Southland Conference with UCA, and was until 1987.

If you believe the U of A would be "rivals" with a D1-AA school, then you have a very low opinion of our program.

Just because their name is "Arkansas State" doesn't mean crap.

Are Mizzou and Missouri State rivals?

No, they aren't.

So what you're say is if the Uof A played ASU or UCA in WMS it wouldn't sell out?  ??? ???

That's crazy, if WMS seated 80,000 it would still sell out for every game!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Richard_white

July 31, 2008, 01:21:37 pm #63 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:24:06 pm by Richard_white
Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 01:17:12 pm
That is my main point.  I think that playing a game in state would be more interesting than watching us kill a team like Western Illionois. I don't think there could be a rivalry anytime soon between ASU and UA, maybe even ever because you are right they can barely keep their heads above water.   I do believe a team like UCA has a better shot, but again that is years away.    I think that we should lay a foundation now to play instate schools, with the possiblity in twenty years to reap the benefit of an instate rivalry when the other schools have stronger programs.

I guess if those players played the game for only our entertainment value, then you do have a point.  But that isn't the true nature of running a business.  You do what's best for the program.  Playing a game between UCA, UAPB and ASU is not good business. 

razorbackred

Quote from: HotlantaHog on July 31, 2008, 12:42:38 pm
Not quite instate, but Memphis would seem to be a decent nonconference game -- and Tulsa, as it is this year.

Bingo!  Tulsa and Memphis are both much better games than any in-state schools; they both impact recruiting.  If we want a player from Jonesboro, we'll get him.  ASU is no threat at all to hurt our recruiting base. 

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 01:21:37 pm
I guess if those players played the game for only our entertainment value, than you you have a point.  But that isn't the true nature of running a business.  You do what's best for the program.  Playing a game between UCA, UAPB and ASU is not good business. 

You really don't know much about business do you?  If we played an instate team or two in a season, replacing Northern Mexico or a WIU, we would sell out the stadium.  Ticket sales = revenue.
true story...

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: Dutch Creek Hog on July 31, 2008, 01:00:37 pm

You sir didn't see where I said I spoke for the people of Arkansas. I said it's evident people in Arkansas care because we're 2 pages deep on this topic. does that register with you? I bet if ASU and UA played it would be a Grand Annual event. It would be the start of something new and people would come in groves to see it. Hell they come to see ULM! But you'd rather see the Hogs play K.C. & the Sunshine Band of course!

go hogues

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 10:11:37 am
Don't if any of these games could happen in the next few years, but if they could...  I think instate play could be a very good thing for all of our programs.
Hurry up fall practices...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

GuvHog

Quote from RazorbackRed:

"If we want a player from Jonesboro, we'll get him."

Not necessarily, I remember a few years back that a Limeman from Jonesboro who was one of the best in the state went to Tennessee. The U of A is always losing good players on that side of thr state because they don't have good coverage there. An ASU-U of A game that is sold out and
broadcast to that area I believe would help keep those players from turning down the Hogs and
leaving the state.

Richard_white

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 01:24:40 pm
You really don't know much about business do you?  If we played an instate team or two in a season, replacing Northern Mexico or a WIU, we would sell out the stadium.  Ticket sales = revenue.

I own my own buisness for 8 years. Sorry

What else are you getting out other than revenue?

Recruits?
National exposure?

Since you know more about the business aspect than most, tell me why wouldn't you expand your business other than a mom and pop store.  I would rather go after something bigger.  And playing games against teams that only would sell out your stadium isn't thinking more outside the box.

bigheadred

July 31, 2008, 01:37:37 pm #70 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:43:01 pm by bigheadred
Did anyone think that by having an instate rival we could have a divided fan base? Fortunately, no team in state is good enough to be considered an instate rival. Not only would it divide the fan base but ruin our recruiting as well. We already have a regional division now with the fans caused by Nutt, Mustain, and Malazhn. Many in Central Arkansas are divided against Northwest Arkansas. I saw this when I attended games last year. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Also, I think because we do not have the population of some other states, we don't have as many good players anyway. This would make it even harder to recruit great players from the state and keep them instate aswell.
I am Bigheadred and I support this message. Yo soy el hombre.

GuvHog

July 31, 2008, 01:39:42 pm #71 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:48:42 pm by GUVHOG
People, there's no doubt in my mind that the following would meet with great success:

"Here's what I think should happen. The Hogs should play AState one year then UCA the next. This
game would be called The Governers Cup Classic with the winner recieving the Governers Cup for
that year. Obviously the game would be played in WMS but the U of A would not have to pay to
play in this game. All ticket sales money, Consession money and parking money would be added together and divided this way: The U of A gets 25%, The other team (UCA,or ASU) gets 25%, and
the rest goes into a fund designated to be used solely for the construction of a new State-of-the-art 80,000 seat War Memorial Stadium to be located across Fair park Avenue from the current location. Once the new stadium is complete, the game would obviously move to the new stadium and the money would be divided this way: The U of A would get 35%, the other team (ASU or UCA) would get 35%, and the rest would go to WMS (30%)."

P.S. The U of A would ALWAYS be the home team.

Richard_white

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 31, 2008, 01:39:42 pm
People, there's no doubt in my mind that the following would meet with great success:

"Here's what I think should happen. The Hogs should play AState one year then UCA the next. This
game would be called The Governers Cup Classic with the winner recieving the Governers Cup for
that year. Obviously the game would be played in WMS but the U of A would not have to pay to
play in this game. All ticket sales money, Consession money and parking money would be added together and divided this way: The U of A gets 25%, The other team (UCA,or ASU) gets 25%, and
the rest goes into a fund designated to be used solely for the construction of a new State-of-the-art 80,000 seat War Memorial Stadium to be located across Fair park Avenue from the current location. Once the new stadium is complete, the game would obviously move to the new stadium and the money wuold be divided this way: The U of A would get 35%, the other team (ASU or UCA) would get 35%, and the rest would go to WMS (30%)."

OMG, I'm so ready for FB season.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on July 31, 2008, 12:53:09 pm

Had a contract to play when I was at UCA beginning in '96.  ASU had to score on the last play of the game and send it to overtime to win (at home).  They couldn't stomach that they very well could lose more than they won vs UCA and cancelled the series.  Apparently they saw they had "nothing to gain and a lot more to lose."  In my mind they have no gripe about UA not wanting to play them. 
That's not accurate.  There was no "series".  ASU had someone drop out of a scheduled series.  They offered it to UAPB and they said no.  UCA said yes and ASU beat them twice.  New NCAA rules in the late 90s did not allow D2 schools to count for bowl eligibility and only allowed a D1AA to count once every 4 years.    By the time UCA moved to D1AA, ASU had stopped scheduling D1AA schools completely until an opponent backed out again this summer and Texas Southern was added only months ago.

UCA has done welll in transition, but don't confuse being competitive in D1aa with being ready to play D1 ball.  ASU won a national title and played for another at that level and you see what happened when they moved up.

UCA fans need to enjoy where they are and concentrate on being the best D1AA team they can and nnot worry so much about D1 for now.

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 01:43:45 pm
OMG, I'm so ready for FB season.

Second you on that.

My line is stemming off your stmt. of the game being purely for an entertainment purpose.  If it replaced a sugar puff game you would bring in more revenue added interest and probably a better game, giving it a dual purpose.  A Memphis game would be nice as well, and maybe a good rivalry. 
true story...

Richard_white

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 02:16:37 pm
Second you on that.

My line is stemming off your stmt. of the game being purely for an entertainment purpose.  If it replaced a sugar puff game you would bring in more revenue added interest and probably a better game, giving it a dual purpose.  A Memphis game would be nice as well, and maybe a good rivalry. 

Memphis wasn't on the list.  Nor did I ever bring up Memphis.  My post was directed towards ASU, UAPB and UCA only.  So you think WIU is a small school?..so is those three schools in Arkansas. 

Again, let me ask you this question.

What else are you going to get out of playing games against those 3 schools?  You said revenue, what else? 

And as far as playing Memphis every year, I would only do that in BB. 

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 02:21:44 pm
Memphis wasn't on the list.  Nor did I ever bring up Memphis.  My post was directed towards ASU, UAPB and UCA only.  So you think WIU is a small school?..so is those three schools in Arkansas. 

Again, let me ask you this question.

What else are you going to get out of playing games against those 3 schools?  You said revenue, what else? 

And as far as playing Memphis every year, I would only do that in BB. 

I thought I already answered you:

1) More revenue for the schools, as well as keeping money in state.
2) A game that would mean more, and be more interesting than playing a team that might show up with 100 fans.  I just don't see how a game where you are playing a team that you have never even heard of can be more interesting than one with an in-state team.
To add one more:
3) To squelsh the naysayers who state that the UofA doesn't play because they are scared to get beat.
true story...

Richard_white

July 31, 2008, 02:40:05 pm #77 Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:42:24 pm by Richard_white
Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 02:36:48 pm
I thought I already answered you:

1) More revenue for the schools, as well as keeping money in state.
2) A game that would mean more, and be more interesting than playing a team that might show up with 100 fans.  I just don't see how a game where you are playing a team that you have never even heard of can be more interesting than one with an in-state team.
To add one more:
3) To squelsh the naysayers who state that the UofA doesn't play because they are scared to get beat.

What business do you own for you to say I don't know how to run a business.  So that is your answer?....So, what is that going to do for us outside the state of Arkansas?

They are meaningless games.  They serve no purpose other than bragging rights in the state of Arkansas...

jonesark™

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 31, 2008, 10:47:17 am

Unfortunently there hasn't been a whole lot of "Raging" goin' on down there lately.

easy........some of us are alumni......

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 02:40:05 pm
What business do you own for you to say I don't know how to run a business.  So that is your answer?....So, what is that going to do for us outside the state of Arkansas?

They are meaningless games.  They serve no purpose other than bragging rights in the state of Arkansas...

And games like WIU are meaningful?  They have meaning outside of the state?  Haven't seen a highlight reel in a long time that showed Arkansas playing North Texas on ESPN.  The motive of any business is to make a profit.  You simply will make more money in games that are played between instate teams because you have heightened interest due to the clear underlying factors and shorter travel distance.  Keep it in context that I am talking about the Hogs and games played against second tier D1 schools.  I am not saying it is going to do anything for us outside the state. But what does any other powder puff game do for us out of the state?
true story...

Michaelt

Why not play ASU? Why is ASU not good enough, but WIU is? ULM? LA-Laf? And, if memory serves, when we played ULM in Little Rock, wasn't there an agreement that ULM was the "HOME TEAM"??? WTH? Arkansas playing in Little Rock was considered the visiting team??? How screwed up was/is that?

If we're gonna waste a game or two on the schedule, why not waste a game or two playing ASU or UAPB? Not so sure about UCA yet, maybe in a few years.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Richard_white

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 02:52:12 pm
And games like WIU are meaningful?  They have meaning outside of the state?  Haven't seen a highlight reel in a long time that showed Arkansas playing North Texas on ESPN.  The motive of any business is to make a profit.  You simply will make more money in games that are played between instate teams because you have heightened interest due to the clear underlying factors and shorter travel distance.  Keep it in context that I am talking about the Hogs and games played against second tier D1 schools.  I am not saying it is going to do anything for us outside the state. But what does any other powder puff game do for us out of the state?

Because they get to see Arkansas play.  There are HS recruits in other states than in Arkansas.

It's just important to recruit hard outside the state than it is in the state. 

So playing games against WIU is more important in recruiting than playing a game against UCA in Conway.

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 03:00:26 pm
Because they get to see Arkansas play.  There are HS recruits in other states than in Arkansas.

It's just important to recruit hard outside the state than it is in the state. 

So playing games against WIU is more important in recruiting than playing a game against UCA in Conway.

Come on man that is stretching it a bit.  I really don't think a recruit from Illinois is going to travel down to watch WIU play the Hogs.  No way they are going to see it on TV.  No way a game would ever be played in Conway.  Really no way it has any meaning to a recruit. 
true story...

Richard_white

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 03:09:00 pm
Come on man that is stretching it a bit.  I really don't think a recruit from Illinois is going to travel down to watch WIU play the Hogs.  No way they are going to see it on TV.  No way a game would ever be played in Conway.  Really no way it has any meaning to a recruit. 

How is that when USC fans will come down to watch USC vs Arkansas.  Or Arkansas fans going all the way to California to watch the Hogs get murdered by the Trojans.  (I was one of them)

Arkansas recruits have alot of opportunities to watch an Arkansas game.  But the ones outside the state doesn't have that luxury.

ADAM_713

Quote from: Richard_white on July 31, 2008, 03:16:05 pm
How is that when USC fans will come down to watch USC vs Arkansas.  Or Arkansas fans going all the way to California to watch the Hogs get murdered by the Trojans.  (I was one of them)

Arkansas recruits have alot of opportunities to watch an Arkansas game.  But the ones outside the state doesn't have that luxury.

Because it is USC, not WIU.  We are talking about cup cake home games here.  We would never travel to WIU, therefore your line of reasoning is irrealavent  Come on man ur just trying to pick a fight now.
true story...

TimHog

This is the game that would make sense to be played at War Memorial. NOT THE LSU GAME!!!!

Dutch Creek Hog

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on July 31, 2008, 01:28:44 pm
You sir didn't see where I said I spoke for the people of Arkansas. I said it's evident people in Arkansas care because we're 2 pages deep on this topic. does that register with you? I bet if ASU and UA played it would be a Grand Annual event. It would be the start of something new and people would come in groves to see it. Hell they come to see ULM! But you'd rather see the Hogs play K.C. & the Sunshine Band of course!

Two pages on Hogville = the pulse of the Arkansas fan base?  You said "people in Arkansas care".

Guess what, there are "people in Arkansas" who are Scientologists.  There are "people in Arkansas" who are fired up about gay rights and there are "people in Arkansas" who are members of PETA.

I guess then there's a huge rift in the Arkansas fan base over black uniforms, then, because its been discussed all over Hogville.  I seriously doubt there'll be conversation in our suite about it once this season.

Sorry, I don't remember hearing any fans talk about Arkansas State at any game in the past several years.  Typically, the topic is brought up by ASU alums or fans from that part of the state. 

I am as excited by ASU as I would be about UA playing UAFS.  Don't care.

What gets me is how much weight a very few people put on the idea of this game.

It won't matter.  It won't mean any more than LSU/ULM, which means absolutely NOTHING outside of Monroe.

Frank's policy may have been a weak move.  There is a lot about it I agree with.

Perhaps Frank was visionary in that he knew a bunch of knuckledraggers would find a way to make a D1-AA team into a "heated rivalry". 

That doesn't help the program, so in that sense he was right.

Its embarrassing that some of our fans compare UA/ASU to Alabama/Auburn and Texas/ATM. 

I mean seriously?
I love guntr.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: Kicking Wing on July 31, 2008, 02:13:39 pm
That's not accurate.  There was no "series".  ASU had someone drop out of a scheduled series.  They offered it to UAPB and they said no.  UCA said yes and ASU beat them twice.  New NCAA rules in the late 90s did not allow D2 schools to count for bowl eligibility and only allowed a D1AA to count once every 4 years.    By the time UCA moved to D1AA, ASU had stopped scheduling D1AA schools completely until an opponent backed out again this summer and Texas Southern was added only months ago.

UCA has done welll in transition, but don't confuse being competitive in D1aa with being ready to play D1 ball.  ASU won a national title and played for another at that level and you see what happened when they moved up.

UCA fans need to enjoy where they are and concentrate on being the best D1AA team they can and nnot worry so much about D1 for now.

The point of the post was to say that ASU has no right to gripe about the U of A's argument that they have nothing to gain.  Didn't say anything about worrying about D1.

ASU played 8 games against D-1AA opponents in the 6 years after playing UCA (1998-2003 seasons) and went 6-2.  If they can only count 1 win every 4 years, why not let UCA have a couple of those games.  Its wouldn't be counted for a bowl anyway.  There can be only one reason.

Same "why not let us play you instead" argument is used by ASU in regards to UA scheduling other Sun Belt opponents.  UA gives the same answer ASU did to UCA, nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

The only way to end a UA v ASU argument is to play the game and it will happen sometime, but they do a good job in the "pot calling the kettle black" department.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

hogsanity

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 31, 2008, 10:53:14 am
LSU has played an in-state team every year since 2005. According to the school's official Web site, LSU will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

2012 - Tulane
2011 - Tulane
2010 - Tulane
2009 - UL-Lafayette
2008 - Tulane
2007 - La. Tech
2006 - UL - Lafayette

Because the legislature mandated it, didnt they?  Also, they have 3 or 4 d1 in state schools to choose from.

I would like to see Ar play ASU in 2010 or 2011.  I would like to see the game in RRS, the last week of Sept.  I would like for the final score to be 100 to absolute zero, Hogs win.  I would then like for coach Petrino to say he would play an instate school agian as soon as 1 of them has a program worthy of his teams time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Richard_white

Quote from: ADAM_713 on July 31, 2008, 03:22:26 pm
Because it is USC, not WIU.  We are talking about cup cake home games here.  We would never travel to WIU, therefore your line of reasoning is irrealavent  Come on man ur just trying to pick a fight now.

No, I'm not.  What is really sad about this, that the University feels the same way I do.  They don't need or care to play those smaller in state schools.

Jborohog09

Ok, I know I'm gonna get thrashed for saying this, but I don't give a crap. 
First off, I'm a die hard Hog fan(obviously) and a die hard Red Wolves fan (I live in Jboro for one) so I would love to see them play.  Many of u state there is nothing to gain for the Hogs and a lot to lose, which is true.  BUT if Arkansas is going to play half the Sun Belt in ONE season (2007 we played Troy, UNT, FIU) and ULM for like 3 years in War Memorial and trade home dates with them, then why not play Arkansas State?  yea there is a completly different level in talent, Arkansas is SEC and stAte is Sun Belt for one, but it would sell out anywhere the game is played (War Memorial or Razoback Staduim) and would earn a ton of money.  Many of u also point out the ASU-UCA game from like 12 years ago, yea ASU did basicly the same thing that Arkansas has been doing to them to UCA, but in the next couple of years that series is going to be renewed, so quit ur complaining about stAte. 
Another thing, if Texas plays North Texas, Florida plays Florida Atlantic, Auburn plays Troy, etc. then again why should Arkansas refuse to play Arkansas State if those BCS teams (most SEC) play their instate Sun Belt opponents?
well I have the answer (and yall r going to kill me for this), its because Arkansas is scared to be upset by ASU, plain and simple.  hard to imagine, but true.  if ASU can nearly beat Texas and hang with Tenn till the 4th Quarter, then they can also give the Hogs a run for their money and possibibly upset them (hey, ULM did it to Alabama last year).
My last point is the NIT game in 1986 and the WNIT game in 2005.  The 1986 game was played in Barnhill and the state was in complete obession about the game and had the week b4 had news stations to talking about it every night. anyways, ASU at one point had a 21 pt lead and was basicly dancing, but the Hogs managed to ralley and won by 3 in OT, but it proved that ASU can hang with Arkansas. 
in 2005, the Convocation Center in Jonesboro had the largest crowd in ASU history just for a WOMEN'S basketball game and the ASU fans tore apart the Hog fans spirit wise and ASU would win the game easily.  The main point of that is to show that people in fact do care about seeing the 2 schools play and would be a very emotional and intense matchup. 

sorry for the rant, but I get very emotional about this subject.

jwhite_13

None, of the above, The instate match up i want to watch is ASU-UCA

Lake City Hog

I hear all of these " reasons " why UA should play ASU and none of them matter. The University of Arkansas is in no way obligated to help ASU instead of "helping" other Sun Belt teams.
If Arkansas ever agreed to a game, it wouldn't be 5 years and ASU fans would start clamoring for a home game. The next thing you know we are held hostage to a home and away series with ASU, Please tell me how that benefits UA?
How many people remember why the Tulsa series died out? Tulsa wanted home and away!!

GuvHog

Quote from: lchog on July 31, 2008, 07:49:17 pm
I hear all of these " reasons " why UA should play ASU and none of them matter. The University of Arkansas is in no way obligated to help ASU instead of "helping" other Sun Belt teams.
If Arkansas ever agreed to a game, it wouldn't be 5 years and ASU fans would start clamoring for a home game. The next thing you know we are held hostage to a home and away series with ASU, Please tell me how that benefits UA?
How many people remember why the Tulsa series died out? Tulsa wanted home and away!!

This is not true as the game would always be played in WMS. ASU would make far more money
by always playing this game in WMS than they would at home (Using my proposal of course).

Burnt Orange Sucks

TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

Kicking Wing

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on July 31, 2008, 03:51:00 pm

The point of the post was to say that ASU has no right to gripe about the U of A's argument that they have nothing to gain.  Didn't say anything about worrying about D1.

ASU played 8 games against D-1AA opponents in the 6 years after playing UCA (1998-2003 seasons) and went 6-2.  If they can only count 1 win every 4 years, why not let UCA have a couple of those games.  Its wouldn't be counted for a bowl anyway.  There can be only one reason.

Same "why not let us play you instead" argument is used by ASU in regards to UA scheduling other Sun Belt opponents.  UA gives the same answer ASU did to UCA, nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

The only way to end a UA v ASU argument is to play the game and it will happen sometime, but they do a good job in the "pot calling the kettle black" department.
Obviously you didn't read my post and you weren't really paying attention the last few years.  ASU never had a "series" with UCA but they did at least schedule them and BEAT them.  They also offered a game to UAPB several times. 

UCA was DIVISION 2 throughout the 90s and first part of this decade.  Those games couldn't be counted AT ALL.  Joe Hollis did in fact lose to a couple of D1AAs, but Roberts hasn't come close to doing so.  The last time he played a D1AA he beat them something like 56-7 (the same year that team beat UCA in 2005).

ASU has played UCA in several sports since UCA moved up to the same level in those sports and they schedule other teams from the state but that doesn't mean they are going to play UCA in every sport during every year.

You guys have Tulsa on the schedule this year whihc should be plenty of D1 football for UCA.

hawaiianhogster

Give UCA about five years to build up to their new division then put them on the schedule for one game.

Sivad

The whine from ASU just never stops.

UCA better get a handle on their president or they won't be able to afford helmets.

saturnthegiant

I'm also a diehard Hog fan, but also support the Red Wolves.  I think anyone who says that ASU compares everything they do to the UA is wrong, blindly wrong.  The program at ASU is doing just fine without any help from UA.  They are building each year, it's just that ASU is ignored.....I've said this many times, but no one seems to listen- so let me ask all of the HOg fans this:

Why do you support the Hogs?  What is it about the Razorback football program that strikes a chord in your heart?  Is it because they represent your state?  And do it well?  For me that is one of the biggest reasons.  They represent me, you, us!  They have a program to be proud of!  But let me ask you this- what would it be like if the role was reversed, and ASU was "THE" state's team, the only show in town?  Would the Hogs do so well?  I live across the state from Fayetteville, but I don't see the Hogs as NW Arkansas' team, i see them as my team.  So why is it that most Hog fans look down so hard on ASU?  They also represent Arkansas, me you, us.  And they do it on a limited budget, and with a small fan base.  So why do so very few of you support them?

I know this post is about whether the two teams should play, but maybe sometime some of you should take a look or two at what is happening with the Red Wolves, they are playing their hearts out also.  It seems lately that most football fans in Arkansas are so worried about being champions, becoming a BCS power, national champion material that many of us have lost sight of what the game is all about anyway.

I for one would love to see UA vs. ASU, not because i care if UA "helps" ASU or not, but because i support both teams and it would be EXCITING to many of us.  Kansas is a state with less people than Arkansas, but somehow they manage to support two teams with no problem.  I think it's great to have another in state team to pull for, not to take anything away from the Hogs.

The fact remains though, that whether it be ASU, UCA, or UAPB, we have the largest football program in the state agreeing to an outof state school claiming War Memorial as a home game to "help" them maintain Div1A staus, and that's wrong!!!  Wrong!  You don't have to help ASU, but you don't have to crap on them either!  They represent you too!

East Clintwood

I see no reason for the UofA to play any in state school.  There is absolutely no upside for the Razorbacks.  Eventually it would just lead to a split fanbase like that in Mississippi and other states.

I do think that UCA will emerge to be the 2nd best team in the state in just a few years, pushing ASU down to 3rd or 4th (behind UAPB).
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma