Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Uniforms

Started by HogWildBison2011, April 21, 2014, 08:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

April 22, 2014, 01:58:10 pm #250 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:48:28 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 22, 2014, 12:45:41 pm
You're confusing marketing decisions with operational and managerial decisions.

Any successful business does studies to determine what the customer (fan in this case) wants from a marketing perspective.

Bankrupt businesses share your point of view.

A lot of times those "studies" are wrong or at least the product that eventually is marketed/sold is. The business world is FULL of products that were "studied and marketed" that failed and marketing decisions that were catastrophic. Recently JC Penney's for example.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Soooie21

They look good...not overdone...clean looking...the all white is nice....the old fans will wear the hoghat..the new a hog face mask....do they have those yet.

The_Hog_Father

April 22, 2014, 02:05:22 pm #252 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:32:19 pm by The_Hog_Father
Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2014, 06:15:38 am
How 'bout Sarah Jessica Porker?

I love it KK! +1

Or how about Sarah Jessica Hogner? lol  :razorback:

Nope... On second thought, I like Sarah Jessica Porker the best!

Augustus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2014, 01:58:10 pm
A lot of times those "studies" are wrong or at least the product that eventually is marketed/sold is. The business world is FULL of products that were "studied and marketed" that failed.

Exactly.  Assuming Nike/UA polled Hog Fans before the product release (which is doubtful because somebody would've leaked it)... Nike/UA still could have setup the test cases to serve their own direction...

For instance, instead of asking: Would you like a front facing Hog

They may have asked:  Which of these front facing Hogs do you like better?

I'm curious what the test group did consist of? A neutral (non-Hog fans) group would give more objective answers... but as you stated, those answers could be completely misguided and off base.

aar0n

This begs the question, do they update the font in the end zones to reflect the new style?

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorBroncs on April 22, 2014, 02:12:44 pm

This begs the question, do they update the font in the end zones to reflect the new style?

Gosh, I hope so. But Mike Waddell said it wouldn't be done next year (doesn't mean it won't in the future.

That new font lettering in the endzones would look really sharp.

Augustus

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 02:18:07 pm
Gosh, I hope so. But Mike Waddell said it wouldn't be done next year (doesn't mean it won't in the future.

That new font lettering in the endzones would look really sharp.

yeah, that is a good question. and, does it carry over to re-doing the court at BWA?

ricepig

Quote from: RazorBroncs on April 22, 2014, 02:12:44 pm

I believe they said it was unis only, I guess Nike won't pay to change the end zones.

The_Iceman

Quote from: AugustusThe3rd on April 22, 2014, 02:46:37 pm
yeah, that is a good question. and, does it carry over to re-doing the court at BWA?

I'm not sure that would be that tough. Aren't all those letters sticker decals anyway?

SharpTusk

April 22, 2014, 03:34:10 pm #259 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:18:58 pm by SharpTusk
There was the Popcorn Hog.  There was the Slobber Hog.

Now there's the WorfHog.

Writer on  hog database

CrashHog

Quote from: SharpTusk on April 22, 2014, 03:34:10 pm
There was the Popcorn Hog.  There was the Slobber Hog.

Now there's the WorfHog.

Please Please let this catch on...From this day forth I will call this WorfHog...Nice Job SharpTusk

bphi11ips

I like them.  Hope they wear them in the Spring game. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

imtad16

April 22, 2014, 05:24:07 pm #262 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:41:25 pm by imtad16
In one of the branding launch videos, a Nike senior graphic designer said the players pushed for the front facing hog. I thought that was interesting. I figured the athletes had a lot of influence over the uniform designs, but sounds as if they were leading the way with the secondary logo. The graphic designer specifically said "It was a request that came straight from the athletes".

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 22, 2014, 01:57:52 pm
I've never really liked the matte finish on the headgear, it looks dull.  I really, really liked the metallic-type helmets while we had them.  Actually, you ever see those mirror-finish gold ones that Notre Dame wears?...I mean the ones that don't even look like they could be plastic.  I've wondered how it would look if that could be done in Razorback red....if only for a game or two.

Two comments:

(1) The finish on our helmet is not, and has never been "matte"; it is satin, as it has been the last two years.  I posted that then, and a few times since; but everyone keeps calling it matte.  I did notice on the videos yesterday that the Nike folks had it right.  Not a big deal; I've just never understood why people don't seem to know what a matte finish is, with all of the helmets using it the last 3 or 4 years (see examples below).

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=492074.msg7403220#msg7403220

(2) God forbid we should ever have ultra-high gloss red helmets as you suggested.  Can you imagine the debate over what the right shade of red it should be?  There's already tons of threads every season about how our helmets don't match the uniforms, which has more to do with the surface of a hard-shell plastic helmet vs. dri-fit cloth than it does the actual color.  Trying to match the high-gloss would lead to endless and meaningless debate . . . once again.

For that reason, I vote "nay".

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: imtad16 on April 22, 2014, 05:24:07 pm
In one of the branding launch videos, a Nike senior graphic designer said the players pushed for the front facing hog. I thought that was interesting. I figured the athletes had a lot of influence over the uniform designs, but sounds as if they were leading the way with the secondary logo. The graphic designer specifically said "It was a request that came straight from the athletics".

I don't know how much I believe of what was contained in those puff videos.  As I mentioned in another post, seeing 25 year olds who never set foot in Arkansas until this "JOB" sent them there trying to tell us how much they value our tradition, blah, blah, blah . . . I wonder who thinks we really believe them?  I like Long, and support him but this is a massive P.R./propaganda campaign from the old John White school of management.

Given the demographics of the players (age), I don't doubt that, as a group, they were more for the new logo than our fans in general.  But I don't think I believe they were really all-out enthusiastic about it as the comments you report would seem to attempt to convey.  I just don't.

imtad16

Yeah you may be right. I wonder how it all played out? what the information gathering looked like and all. I do know that you have to have tough skin to be in the college athletic uniform game. There is one half that is going to dislike the results and one half that is going to like the results.

Augustus

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 22, 2014, 05:25:39 pm
Two comments:

(1) The finish on our helmet is not, and has never been "matte"; it is satin, as it has been the last two years.  I posted that then, and a few times since; but everyone keeps calling it matte.  I did notice on the videos yesterday that the Nike folks had it right.  Not a big deal; I've just never understood why people don't seem to know what a matte finish is, with all of the helmets using it the last 3 or 4 years (see examples below).

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=492074.msg7403220#msg7403220

(2) God forbid we should ever have ultra-high gloss red helmets as you suggested.  Can you imagine the debate over what the right shade of red it should be?  There's already tons of threads every season about how our helmets don't match the uniforms, which has more to do with the surface of a hard-shell plastic helmet vs. dri-fit cloth than it does the actual color.  Trying to match the high-gloss would lead to endless and meaningless debate . . . once again.

For that reason, I vote "nay".

I'm not sure of the exact terminology... to me, the helmets looked to have a "matte" like finish. But, I'll take your word for it.

I was just glad that the Hog on the helmet wasn't radically changed... similar to what mizzou and others have done recently, having their logo/mascot encompass the majority (or all) of the helmet.

goodguytex

Unis are pretty good overall compared to recent ones. I still prefer our unis from the late 90s. But maybe these will grow on me. I'm working on it. Nike had some I thought really excellent hog unis when we were with them in 2000 and 2001.

imtad16

Quote from: goodguytex on April 22, 2014, 06:38:14 pm
Unis are pretty good overall compared to recent ones. I still prefer our unis from the late 90s. But maybe these will grow on me. I'm working on it. Nike had some I thought really excellent hog unis when we were with them in 2000 and 2001.

Yeah, I liked the early 2000 era Nike uniforms too, but I feel like going that basic misses (unless you are a historic program that is known for that type of uniform, i.e. OU, Alabama, Penn State, ND etc.) in appealing to recruits. I think the new uniforms strike a pretty good balance of that clean (A word that is being thrown around a lot but is a good description.) with some modern flare that recruit will get excited about.

goodguytex

Quote from: imtad16 on April 22, 2014, 06:56:20 pm
Yeah, I liked the early 2000 era Nike uniforms too, but I feel like going that basic misses (unless you are a historic program that is known for that type of uniform, i.e. OU, Alabama, Penn State, ND etc.) in appealing to recruits. I think the new uniforms strike a pretty good balance of that clean (A word that is being thrown around a lot but is a good description.) with some modern flare that recruit will get excited about.
I see your point, definitely.

woodhog14

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 22, 2014, 02:50:08 pm
I'm not sure that would be that tough. Aren't all those letters sticker decals anyway?

Nope...they are painted on the hardwood.

pigskenG

simple answer for me. the front facing hog is fine as a secondary hog (back of cap, v part of shirt collar, etc), don't care for the 'tusks' on the football jersey shoulder, plain would be better for me. I still don't like the white helmets. But everything else looks really good. Next time maybe the 'powers that be' will call me to get my opinion before they make the final uniform decisions ?!!   Go Hogs.  :razorback:

goodguytex

Quote from: pigskenG on April 22, 2014, 07:40:58 pm
simple answer for me. the front facing hog is fine as a secondary hog (back of cap, v part of shirt collar, etc), don't care for the 'tusks' on the football jerseys, plain would be better for me. I still don't like the white helmets. But everything else looks really good. Next time maybe the 'powers that be' will call me to get my opinion before they make the final uniform decisions ?!!   Go Hogs.  :razorback:
Good luck with that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 22, 2014, 05:30:52 pm
I don't know how much I believe of what was contained in those puff videos.  As I mentioned in another post, seeing 25 year olds who never set foot in Arkansas until this "JOB" sent them there trying to tell us how much they value our tradition, blah, blah, blah . . . I wonder who thinks we really believe them?  I like Long, and support him but this is a massive P.R./propaganda campaign from the old John White school of management.

Given the demographics of the players (age), I don't doubt that, as a group, they were more for the new logo than our fans in general.  But I don't think I believe they were really all-out enthusiastic about it as the comments you report would seem to attempt to convey.  I just don't.

Based on what?

The Boar War

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2014, 09:01:16 pm
Based on what?

Not trying to speak for the op but I doubt the athletes came and specifically asked the Nike folks to create a forward facing Razorback.  And that this exact same process also happened organically at LSU, UCONN, etc.

I imagine they had several "concepts" to choose from and the athletes liked the new secondary logo.

chortle

The good: the removal of the gradient on the helmet.

The bad: the tusks on the shoulders.

The ugly: front facing hog. 'Nuf said.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: chortle on April 22, 2014, 10:52:10 pm

It's more than it just being goofy looking.  Klingon Hog just looks weird in the context of the uniform.  It's too small, and when you do focus on it, it just looks out of place.

Terrible look with the secondary logo.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

chortle

Quote from: Notshavin on April 22, 2014, 11:31:30 pm
It's more than it just being goofy looking.  Klingon Hog just looks weird in the context of the uniform.  It's too small, and when you do focus on it, it just looks out of place.

Terrible look with the secondary logo.

Agreed.

I still don't understand why they stopped there. Why not have a hog ass on the back of the jersey?

impact

The uniforms look great.  Especially after what we have seen the last few years.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

MissippHog

I like the uniforms and the front facing Hog as long as they use him minimally. 

Quote from: chortle on April 22, 2014, 11:41:29 pm

Agreed.

I still don't understand why they stopped there. Why not have a hog ass on the back of the jersey?

Yeah, like a Klingon Butt ON our butt..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: impact on April 22, 2014, 11:48:53 pm
The uniforms look great.  Especially after what we have seen the last few years.

I agree.  But the logo doesn't fit.

bugo

The fonts are repugnant.

The_Iceman

At least we got the colors right:

The_Iceman

No black fade.

Good view of red pants.

WizardofhOgZ

Thanks for these views, Iceman.  Had heard that the fade was gone, but nice to see a picture to confirm visually.  And I had assumed that the red pants were the mirror image of the white ones, which stripes back there; but, again, good to confirm visually.

My first reaction to these uniforms was positive, based on what could have been (bad) and resolving that my first choice in a perfect world for ME (DMAC unis) were NOT coming back.  The more I see of them, the more I like them.  I will NEVER "like" the white helmet and I really wish we'd never wear it.  But the rest of the uni, I like. 

I really like the two combinations your most recent pictures show - except (SURPRISE!) I'd like to see the red helmet on the white jersey/red pants combo.  Otherwise, looks sharp!

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 09:42:15 am

No black fade.

Good view of red pants.

JayBell

I really don't understand why people don't like the white helmets.  I can understand people preferring to keep the traditional red helmets, but I don't see how anyone can simply not visually like the white helmets.  Those things are sweet.  The all-white look is so damn clean.

Now, I do agree with the sentiment that the white helmet shouldn't be the main road helmet, purely for traditional reasons.  I wish they'd just wear them twice a year, but I still think they look great.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 23, 2014, 01:44:03 pm
I really like the two combinations your most recent pictures show - except (SURPRISE!) I'd like to see the red helmet on the white jersey/red pants combo.  Otherwise, looks sharp!

Here ya go! The light shining directly on the helmet makes it look a little weird, but you get a good view of the helmet from the picture you mentioned.

gchamblee

Quote from: JayBell on April 23, 2014, 03:04:48 pm
I really don't understand why people don't like the white helmets.  I can understand people preferring to keep the traditional red helmets, but I don't see how anyone can simply not visually like the white helmets.  Those things are sweet.  The all-white look is so damn clean.

Now, I do agree with the sentiment that the white helmet shouldn't be the main road helmet, purely for traditional reasons.  I wish they'd just wear them twice a year, but I still think they look great.

i agree 100%. i simply love the look with the all white pants/jersey it is clean and all business. none of the bubblegum rah rah, just 11 dudes in work clothes kicking your ass.

cosmodrum

Quote from: chortle on April 22, 2014, 10:52:10 pm

I'm fine with Worfhog. I agree on the tusks. I would like solid color between the shoulders and chest. Not that big of a deal, though. They're unis.
Go away, batin'

The_Iceman

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 23, 2014, 04:22:37 pm
I'm fine with Worfhog. I agree on the tusks. I would like solid color between the shoulders and chest. Not that big of a deal, though. They're unis.

Just imagine that red uniform with solid shoulders and just a hog on the sleeve. That may have been the best jersey we've had.

Dillon23

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 03:40:14 pm
Here ya go! The light shining directly on the helmet makes it look a little weird, but you get a good view of the helmet from the picture you mentioned.

This is my favorite look. Very nice.

Dillon23

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 04:26:12 pm
Just imagine that red uniform with solid shoulders and just a hog on the sleeve. That may have been the best jersey we've had.

I agree...those 2 changes would make these hard to beat.

Hawginj

Quote from: Dillon23 on April 23, 2014, 04:47:36 pm
I agree...those 2 changes would make these hard to beat.   

Yes I agree and I'd rather this be our home and away combos it just flows well together but its just an opinion. Go Hogs!

SONofHAM

So it appears we are going back to black shoes/socks?  No more red socks?
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

rljjr

Better than Apex!!! Somewhere in the middle for me. I prefer the two-stripes down the leg on the white pants. I think that's cleaner. Remove the tusks on the shoulders. The font I can get used to. Just never will understand why the Hog on the pants is running away from the competition.