Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you had $20k to play with...

Started by "Boar", November 28, 2016, 10:38:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I think today is the biggest one-day increase I've ever had on a stock.

I think today is the biggest one-day increase I've ever had on a stock.

COOL is up $3 today. This stock has paid for my Hogville membership.

Vantage 8 dude

June 23, 2017, 04:06:22 pm #53 Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:38:09 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: Karma on June 23, 2017, 09:42:06 am
COOL is up $3 today. This stock has paid for my Hogville membership.
Glad you got enough money to pay for HV. After all, that's THE most important thing in life ;) ;D :)!.

Today's stock action most certainly validates yesterday's move with another HUGE volume day exceeding Thursday's. Some 513K shares changed hands with the stock only closing up $3.87 (another 16%) at $27.92 after trading as high as $29.36 earlier. I've been trying to reach out to my sources who can likely shed some light on exactly where all the buying is coming from. With this kind of volume ALL on the upside it hints of either huge hedge fund/ETF accumulation or a possible "play" being made on the company. Not sure whether either and/or both is happening; next week should perhaps tell us more. In the meantime I suppose one should just sit back and enjoy the ride, whatever the source of the "fuel" for journey upwards might be.

One other possibility that might, but I somewhat doubt, explain the frantic movement over the last day or so. As of  earlier this week there were some 310k shares, representing a little over 5.25% of the 5.877 million outstanding shares, sold "short"(i.e. the short interest). In case you're not familiar with that term: a short seller "borrows" stock (paying interest on the loan's value with borrowed monies aka known as margin) and bets that the stock-the borrowed shares-he sold at one price will decline in value. He can then hopefully buy back the borrowed stock at a lower price and repay the loan. It's merely the verse of "buying low, selling high". The problem is that IF the stock borrowed/sold DOESN'T decline then eventually there's likely to be a "short squeeze" wherein the borrower is forced to make a decision as to whether or not to maintain the "short" position. If he guesses wrong and the stock continues to climb it will obviously cost more and more money to give (buy) back the borrowed stock. Hence, the term "short squeeze". My "gut" tells me that the last couple of day's price move likely doesn't have to do with a "short squeeze" play. However, the short interest-the reported number of borrowed shares-won't be known for several more days. Only then will that possibility be more fully known.

I got out of COOL at $27.95. Thinking about a reentry spot now that the stock has retreated.

longbore

July 25, 2017, 08:34:49 pm #55 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:51:40 pm by longbore
Made mad money with Bvtk...

Quote from: Karma on June 29, 2017, 11:58:57 am
I got out of COOL at $27.95. Thinking about a reentry spot now that the stock has retreated.
Still out and stock is around $20.50. As usual, I'm sure I won't pick the bottom.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Karma on July 26, 2017, 01:08:47 pm
Still out and stock is around $20.50. As usual, I'm sure I won't pick the bottom.
99.999999% of the time one never does; same with the stock's market top. Remember that the market doesn't ring some magical bell to say "if you're going to buy you better get in now". Obviously the same with a potential top in a stock's price. Always somewhere in between.....the nature of the beast.

HawgWild

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 26, 2017, 02:08:07 pm
Remember that the market doesn't ring some magical bell to say "if you're going to buy you better get in now".

HiM did that with CHK a few years back with his "The ship is leaving you better get on board." post.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HawgWild on July 26, 2017, 02:46:44 pm
HiM did that with CHK a few years back with his "The ship is leaving you better get on board." post.
Yeah, well HiM ain't the market.....obviously.

longbore

July 26, 2017, 03:33:00 pm #60 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:52:28 pm by longbore
abhi revocation...lol

longbore

July 27, 2017, 07:49:59 am #61 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:52:54 pm by longbore
After hours 8k could move BTGI north today...nope...

longbore

What are Tom Cellucci and Chuck Brooks doing leading a subpenny stock company?
How far will they take BVTK... Or are they just scamming people?

longbore

September 30, 2017, 04:01:55 am #63 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:53:53 pm by longbore
Quote from: longbore on July 27, 2017, 06:16:59 pm
What are Tom Cellucci and Chuck Brooks doing leading a subpenny stock company?
How far will they take BVTK... Or are they just scamming people?

I loaded millions of shares of BVTK back in Nov 2016 based purely on their leadership and the price per share. Still holding millions of shares that over 5000% gain.

Sold all but very small position...

longbore

Quote from: longbore on July 26, 2017, 03:33:00 pm
I put a little into abhi at opening this morning.

Made 7k in Abhi last week and 1.5k yesterday. Looking to load again Monday.

longbore

Quote from: longbore on May 29, 2017, 11:40:50 pm
If I'm gambling with play money and don't care if I lose it all then I'm going over to the OTC market. I'd put half into BVTK and the other half into BTGI and role the dice.

Was holding millions of shares of BTGI here at average entry of .0025 but am out with profits. Did have 20 lots from .0016 to .003...

longbore

I bawt 59 million shares in a company at .0001 this week. Was surprised that I was able to sell 6 mil shares at .0002 yesterday while a billion shares were stacked on the ask.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 16, 2017, 08:59:25 am
Even thought most of the defense stocks are at all time highs, I'd put half of that $20K into a couple of them. Defense spending is about to rise. And looks very possible we are about to have a major conflict in one of two spots around the world. Defense companies, like the gov't, are always going to do well over the long haul.

I'd put the other half into energy related stocks, whether it be a few individual equities or a couple of energy ETFs. The oil and nat gas field service companies will look very cheap when oil begins to go up in price: NOV, SLB, BHI, HAL. Of course, anyone can argue that currently they are at premium valuations. But I would be buying for the future valuations, not for current obviously.
In the 5 months since this comment, defense stocks have done well. Energy related stocks, not so much. Haven't declined though.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 04, 2017, 10:36:49 am
In the 5 months since this comment, defense stocks have done well. Energy related stocks, not so much. Haven't declined though.
IMHO if someone truly has some patience (beyond the next five minutes or even month or so) I would begin selectively buying some of the better quality energy stocks. Are they likely to make you lots of money between now and the end of the year-not likely. However, if an investor truly has some time to wait AND has a little risk tolerance then I believe that some of them can begin to be accumulated with a twelve month (or less) time horizon involved. Several years for my thoughts.

First, the price of oil has finally settled down around $50.00 a barrel. While this is obviously still well off the highs of several years ago, the price has shown very good support around this area. Remember for a commodity (like a stock) to go up, it must first wring out all the would be sellers. While there is still some manipulation going on, especially in the futures market with short sellers, the FUNDAMENTALS appear to have improved.

Secondly, most would be marginal producers have either been driven out of business or have severely curtailed production. This in turn has most definitely helped the supple/demand imbalance that occurred during the huge run in energy prices several years ago. BTW anyone who thinks the demand for energy will decline/remain the same over the next 24-36 months (barring a major world-wide recession) had better get their heads out their collective rear ends. While alternative energy sources such as electric and solar are increasing, they will NOT totally replace/meet the rise in global energy demand and consumption over the next several years. Oil prices WILL RISE as a result.

Third, while many gurus and investors worry about the market being "over valued", debatable for certain, at the same time most of the same don't want to take advantage of the sell off in energy stocks suffered over the past several years. While doubtless there have been solid reasons for the weaknesses, at the same time many don't recognize the necessary correction/consolidation in this area have healed much of the overcapacity and valuations that caused much of the recent "blood bath" to begin with. Yep, always amuses, but not necessarily surprises, me that the old market adage of "buy low and sell high" is rarely truly followed by so many investors. They'll complain about having to pay up for company's whose stock has (often) increased substantially, while totally ignoring sectors and company's who's fundamentals may actually justify some very serious consideration. Then again, the human "herd instinct" never ceases to prevail throughout the financial markets. At the same time many don't really have a true longer term time frame to begin with. Most seem to just settle for the "quick buck" as the primary method of constantly moving around their monies; at the same time so many of these same "investors" are complaining they don't to take risk with their monies. One question: what the hell do you think trying to "time the markets" is: a "free lunch"? ??? ::) :-X

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 04, 2017, 12:53:47 pm
However, if an investor truly has some time to wait AND has a little risk tolerance then I believe that some of them can begin to be accumulated with a twelve month (or less) time horizon involved. Several years for my thoughts.

If you don't have a long term horizon and a high tolerance for risk, you should never own a single share of equity issued by a public company. That person could own stock in a private company so that their equity is not priced every second for 6 1/2 hours, 5 days a week.

80% of "investors" believe volatility is risk. It's not. Risk = permanent loss of capital and volatility is not permanent loss of capital. So many want all of the upside and none of the downside. If you are such a person, never own equities.

I don't know when energy price will move up. But I am very sure it is a matter of when, not if. And when it does, my clients are set to reap the rewards of owning energy-related equities. I did not have a client whose account was up less than 20% in 2016 when S&P 500 was up 9.5% (not including reinvested dividends) mostly thanks to performance of energy-related positions.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 08:08:15 am
If you don't have a long term horizon and a high tolerance for risk, you should never own a single share of equity issued by a public company. That person could own stock in a private company so that their equity is not priced every second for 6 1/2 hours, 5 days a week.

80% of "investors" believe volatility is risk. It's not. Risk = permanent loss of capital and volatility is not permanent loss of capital. So many want all of the upside and none of the downside. If you are such a person, never own equities.

I don't know when energy price will move up. But I am very sure it is a matter of when, not if. And when it does, my clients are set to reap the rewards of owning energy-related equities. I did not have a client whose account was up less than 20% in 2016 when S&P 500 was up 9.5% (not including reinvested dividends) mostly thanks to performance of energy-related positions.
Much of what you say is true. However, I do take some exception with your comment/observation concerning a person owning stock in a private versus a public company. While it's certainly true that the former isn't priced on a regular basis, merely owning the latter obviously doesn't guarantee the lack of risk to capital. The fact that a private company's stock ISN'T priced on a regular basis means it's ILLIQUIDITY could most definitely present a problem depending on the TIMING of one's cash needs. The very fact that there is no active secondary market means the true valuation of the holding is far more difficult to establish AND the ability to convert the monies to cash based on the client's need is likely more difficult to achieve.

Ultimately, as in life, there are are no guarantees in the equity market. That's why I've always taken the approach, whether be with my personal monies or those of a client's, that one should NEVER, EVER risk any dollars that one can't absolutely afford to lose under the worst of circumstances. No matter how attractive the potential investment appears to be one has to ALWAYS be prepared for absolute armageddon. Do that and the ability to sleep soundly at night goes up exponentially.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 10:46:31 am
Much of what you say is true. However, I do take some exception with your comment/observation concerning a person owning stock in a private versus a public company. While it's certainly true that the former isn't priced on a regular basis, merely owning the latter obviously doesn't guarantee the lack of risk to capital. The fact that a private company's stock ISN'T priced on a regular basis means it's ILLIQUIDITY could most definitely present a problem depending on the TIMING of one's cash needs. The very fact that there is no active secondary market means the true valuation of the holding is far more difficult to establish AND the ability to convert the monies to cash based on the client's need is likely more difficult to achieve.

Ultimately, as in life, there are are no guarantees in the equity market. That's why I've always taken the approach, whether be with my personal monies or those of a client's, that one should NEVER, EVER risk any dollars that one can't absolutely afford to lose under the worst of circumstances. No matter how attractive the potential investment appears to be one has to ALWAYS be prepared for absolute armageddon. Do that and the ability to sleep soundly at night goes up exponentially.
You must be a serious young man. You read a lot more into what I wrote than I meant.

Vantage 8 dude

October 05, 2017, 04:02:04 pm #72 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:12:40 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 03:04:12 pm
You must be a serious young man. You read a lot more into what I wrote than I meant.
Damn right I'm serious.....with both MY monies along with my clients. I seriously doubt most would have it any other way; let's face it: I can't imagine ANYONE wanting a financial advisor "playing" or "screwing around" with money. Oh yeah, one other thing: since you say I'm "reading more into what I (you) wrote than I (you) meant" please enlighten me. You see I try to carefully read and analyze everything one says prior to responding. So please explain in more detail exactly what I'm somehow misreading/misinterpreting.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 05, 2017, 04:02:04 pm
Damn right I'm serious.....with both MY monies along with my clients. I seriously doubt most would have it any other way; let's face it: I can't imagine ANYONE wanting a financial advisor "playing" or "screwing around" with money. Oh yeah, one other thing: since you say I'm "reading more into what I (you) wrote than I (you) meant" please enlighten me. You see I try to carefully read and analyze everything one says prior to responding. So please explain in more detail exactly what I'm somehow misreading/misinterpreting.
Relax.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 05, 2017, 11:02:27 pm
Relax.
Duh......I'm plenty relaxed. Amazing that "relax" seems to be one of your absolute favorite words. I do suggest that you try to expand your vocabulary. BTW just seem to have a far more sober/responsible outlook then your cutsie remark(s) would indicate. Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes doesn't it ??? ::) :-X

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 08:53:57 am
Duh......I'm plenty relaxed. Amazing that "relax" seems to be one of your absolute favorite words. I do suggest that you try to expand your vocabulary. BTW just seem to have a far more sober/responsible outlook then your cutsie remark(s) would indicate. Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes doesn't it ??? ::) :-X
Why are you bothering me? All this typing for nothing. Very verbose. Please relax.

Vantage 8 dude

October 06, 2017, 10:22:55 am #76 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:33:00 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 06, 2017, 10:12:21 am
Why are you bothering me? All this typing for nothing. Very verbose. Please relax.
Ahh....verbose. Nice, you actually added a second word to your giant vocabulary collection. And who the hell is actually bothering who here ??? :o ::) :-X BTW if you don't care for my responses then I have a simple solution: just don't bother replying. Takes two sides after all and it IS a very simple answer to your angst.

BILLYBOB

October 07, 2017, 09:57:25 pm #77 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:17:19 pm by BILLYBOB
NM
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

longbore

October 20, 2017, 01:04:09 pm #78 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:55:20 pm by longbore
Quote from: longbore on September 30, 2017, 04:15:29 am
Was holding millions of shares of BTGI here at average entry of .0025 but am out with profits. Did have 20 lots from .0016 to .003...

Gonna keep a position here with BTGI.. Too much potential for the price...lol

Need to file...good bad or ugly

razorbrock

not a get-rich-quick, but GOOGL is a very solid long-term investment for 20k.  it should easily double the overall market return for the next few years.  future android licensing and ad revenue, Waymo will be licensed to auto pilot vehicles, recently invested in mobile hardware (phones, tablets, etc) & the company is investing in mobile payments and investment banking.  also, they have $100B in cash waiting to come back home as soon as U.S. corporate tax reform is finalized.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

Vantage 8 dude

October 20, 2017, 02:48:09 pm #80 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:57:29 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: razorbrock on October 20, 2017, 02:25:27 pm
not a get-rich-quick, but GOOGL is a very solid long-term investment for 20k.  it should easily double the overall market return for the next few years.  future android licensing and ad revenue, Waymo will be licensed to auto pilot vehicles, recently invested in mobile hardware (phones, tablets, etc) & the company is investing in mobile payments and investment banking.  also, they have $100B in cash waiting to come back home as soon as U.S. corporate tax reform is finalized.
Wouldn't argue with you in the least. However, GOOGL is only one of dozens of "have to have" growth stocks for the future. Problem is that some seem to insist on being able to play millionaire by buying scads of penny stocks and trade in and out of them like they change clothes.

longbore

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 30, 2017, 11:46:19 am
Now THERE'S some really quality stuff.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

BTW if you're REALLY interested in possibly making some money then check out a couple of biotech companies with the symbols TGTX and COOL. While they might actually cost you some real money, not fractions of cents, they also might just also give you a legitimate shot at making some as well.

Thanks for the advice expert...lol

longbore

October 20, 2017, 03:24:04 pm #82 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:56:16 pm by longbore
Quote from: longbore on September 30, 2017, 04:01:55 am
I loaded millions of shares of BVTK back in Nov 2016 based purely on their leadership and the price per share. Still holding millions of shares that over 5000% gain.

Tom and Chuck are holding an investors conference call Oct.25...or its planned for then...

Hope the ole money launderer and Chuck can move the needle a bit...lol

Wrong direction...

longbore

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 01:04:09 pm
Gonna keep a position here with BTGI.. Too much potential for the price...lol
Dilution could send it lower short term. You could get cut to pieces with large reverse split or not..

longbore

October 20, 2017, 04:04:54 pm #84 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:56:56 pm by longbore
The OTC is the last frontier where the common man can still find gold...not true

longbore

October 20, 2017, 04:14:25 pm #85 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:57:45 pm by longbore
everybody loses sometime...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 03:06:52 pm

Thanks for the advice expert...lol
Okay......since YOU brought it up I'll clue you in on a few of things.

First, when I give recommendations I DON'T, repeat DON'T, do so with trading or some short term time frame in mind. I try to suggest ideas of company's that are doing something that will very likely change the way people do things (innovators) or somehow improve folk's lives(disruptors). In doing so I try to look down the road a MINIMUM of six months-not six nanoseconds-preferably much longer for the stock's story to be recognized, mature, and hopefully come to fruition. In this case I remain firmly convinced in both ideas. I also don't EVER guarantee anything to anyone (obviously including myself). However, when I do initiate an investment I have a solid "end game" and reason for buying and/or selling.

In the case of biotech company TGTX they've discovered a treatments for several types of life treating cancers. The success of their regimens going through clinical trials have been so successful at treating this disease that they've been able to "fast track" their clinical results and submit them to the FDA for (hoped for) approval far more quickly than normal. The puzzling   thing is that despite the FDA's earlier assurances (January of this year) that the agency would concentrate on speeding up new drug approvals, very little has changed....they're still dragging their feet and on shorting the approval the time for most new medicines. Unfortunately this appears to be the case with TGTX's cancer treatments. Despite the apparent positive results on cancer patients, within the past couple of weeks the FDA has mysteriously decided to delay any potential approval ruling on these drugs. Thus the stock went from a run up to $12.70 close on 9/1 (from the $11.35 on 5/30 close) straight down to the $7.50 area based on the market's huge disappointment created by the uncertainty of the FDAs inaction. Yesterday the stock began stabilizing and closed +14.67% today ($1.10) to close at $8.60. So yes, THUS far the stock has not performed as hoped. However, unless I hear otherwise I will continue to hold my position. As to whether or not I will eventually be proven right----well therein lies the question. However, I repeat.....I did NOT buy the stock with the idea I was going to trade it. Had I done so it would have been possible for me to have cashed out as high as $12.70 (+11.9% from original purchase) on the September 1st close.

As far as COOL is concerned, well let me say that things are...ummm.. still "cool". Having recommended the idea on 5/30 with a closing price of $17.68, the stock saw a spike up to a high of of $31.68 (+79%) on August 30th. Again, not having purchased the stock for a trade I've decided to continue holding, which I still do, with today's close at $24.58; I'm currently sitting on a gain of a (mere) 39%.

So while one position is indeed currently down in value, for reasons I've outlined above, one has gained nicely. And I will remain committed to both until/unless the reasons for my original investments change. While to some that approach to investing may not sound as exciting as constantly trading in and out of penny stocks, at least I have one factor on my side that most traders don't-and this is time. You see, all I have to do is be right ABOUT THE FUNDAMENTAL REASON FOR THE ORIGINAL INVESTMENT. I don't necessarily have to be totally correct about the TIMING of the trade. I also don't have to be as concerned with other such factors such as costs associated with the higher costs of continual trading-and yes, even using discount brokers there are still costs-or the potential tax consequences of short term gains (assuming a taxable investment account). Rather I prefer to patiently wait for my entry points, monitor factors affecting my investment(s), and then sit back for the "cake to bake".

Oh yeah, two final thoughts.  The first is that over my 40 plus years of investing and assisting other with their own investments, I've most certainly made my share of mistakes. I would really love to say I've been half as successful as someone like Warren Buffet, but I must confess "not true". However, there is one key point of market wisdom
that both he and many other financial "geniuses" have preached: "It's time in the market, not timing the market" that greatly enhances your chance of success. The second is that one should always be very cautious about bragging when it their investment success. The reason is very simple: most folks have as many/more losers than money makers. The problem is that human nature discourages us from admitting such. And besides, one's only as smart as one's latest investment.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 04:04:54 pm
The OTC is the last frontier where the common man can still find gold...lol
Well while you're finding all that "gold" just remember that in that pit is also a LOT more mud and dirt.  ;) 8)

longbore

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 20, 2017, 05:38:43 pm
Okay......since YOU brought it up I'll clue you in on a few of things.

First, when I give recommendations I DON'T, repeat DON'T, do so with trading or some short term time frame in mind. I try to suggest ideas of company's that are doing something that will very likely change the way people do things (innovators) or somehow improve folk's lives(disruptors). In doing so I try to look down the road a MINIMUM of six months-not six nanoseconds-preferably much longer for the stock's story to be recognized, mature, and hopefully come to fruition. In this case I remain firmly convinced in both ideas. I also don't EVER guarantee anything to anyone (obviously including myself). However, when I do initiate an investment I have a solid "end game" and reason for buying and/or selling.

In the case of biotech company TGTX they've discovered a treatments for several types of life treating cancers. The success of their regimens going through clinical trials have been so successful at treating this disease that they've been able to "fast track" their clinical results and submit them to the FDA for (hoped for) approval far more quickly than normal. The puzzling   thing is that despite the FDA's earlier assurances (January of this year) that the agency would concentrate on speeding up new drug approvals, very little has changed....they're still dragging their feet and on shorting the approval the time for most new medicines. Unfortunately this appears to be the case with TGTX's cancer treatments. Despite the apparent positive results on cancer patients, within the past couple of weeks the FDA has mysteriously decided to delay any potential approval ruling on these drugs. Thus the stock went from a run up to $12.70 close on 9/1 (from the $11.35 on 5/30 close) straight down to the $7.50 area based on the market's huge disappointment created by the uncertainty of the FDAs inaction. Yesterday the stock began stabilizing and closed +14.67% today ($1.10) to close at $8.60. So yes, THUS far the stock has not performed as hoped. However, unless I hear otherwise I will continue to hold my position. As to whether or not I will eventually be proven right----well therein lies the question. However, I repeat.....I did NOT buy the stock with the idea I was going to trade it. Had I done so it would have been possible for me to have cashed out as high as $12.70 (+11.9% from original purchase) on the September 1st close.

As far as COOL is concerned, well let me say that things are...ummm.. still "cool". Having recommended the idea on 5/30 with a closing price of $17.68, the stock saw a spike up to a high of of $31.68 (+79%) on August 30th. Again, not having purchased the stock for a trade I've decided to continue holding, which I still do, with today's close at $24.58; I'm currently sitting on a gain of a (mere) 39%.

So while one position is indeed currently down in value, for reasons I've outlined above, one has gained nicely. And I will remain committed to both until/unless the reasons for my original investments change. While to some that approach to investing may not sound as exciting as constantly trading in and out of penny stocks, at least I have one factor on my side that most traders don't-and this is time. You see, all I have to do is be right ABOUT THE FUNDAMENTAL REASON FOR THE ORIGINAL INVESTMENT. I don't necessarily have to be totally correct about the TIMING of the trade. I also don't have to be as concerned with other such factors such as costs associated with the higher costs of continual trading-and yes, even using discount brokers there are still costs-or the potential tax consequences of short term gains (assuming a taxable investment account). Rather I prefer to patiently wait for my entry points, monitor factors affecting my investment(s), and then sit back for the "cake to bake".

Oh yeah, two final thoughts.  The first is that over my 40 plus years of investing and assisting other with their own investments, I've most certainly made my share of mistakes. I would really love to say I've been half as successful as someone like Warren Buffet, but I must confess "not true". However, there is one key point of market wisdom
that both he and many other financial "geniuses" have preached: "It's time in the market, not timing the market" that greatly enhances your chance of success. The second is that one should always be very cautious about bragging when it their investment success. The reason is very simple: most folks have as many/more losers than money makers. The problem is that human nature discourages us from admitting such. And besides, one's only as smart as one's latest investment.

yeah I get the Ron Popeil  strategy...set it and for get it.

longbore

IMHO cool is just an otc scam on a much more expensive scale. It's exactly the type of scam to look for...nothing for sale but hope and change... Except expensive shares..lol

longbore

October 20, 2017, 06:28:47 pm #90 Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:59:37 pm by longbore
Anybody know how much it cost to hang a " I'm an expert placard out front"?

longbore

October 20, 2017, 06:38:38 pm #91 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:58:38 pm by longbore
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 20, 2017, 05:40:02 pm
Well while you're finding all that "gold" just remember that in that pit is also a LOT more mud and dirt.  ;) 8)

So true...

razorbrock

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 20, 2017, 05:38:43 pm

Very well stated, V8D.  It's like bricklaying on steroids.  Just keep setting the bricks, in steady increments, and when you least expect it, you'll discover an additional 20% of your work has been completed for you--then another 20%--then another.  Finally, the bricks start magically setting themselves.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

longbore

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 20, 2017, 05:40:02 pm

It was just an analogy of what can happen on the otc vanny...not like the real frontier where men loaded up their families and said goodby to family and friends that they would never see again...only to be exposed to outlaws and Indians...rape and pillage...feast or famine....but thanks for looking out for the plebes...

Vantage 8 dude

October 20, 2017, 07:12:51 pm #94 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:34:56 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 06:21:28 pm
IMHO cool is just an otc scam on a much more expensive scale. It's exactly the type of scam to look for...nothing for sale but hope and change... Except expensive shares..lol
Yeah, that's it all right....an FDA approve treatment to help (amongst other things) the body naturally regrow badly burned  tissue, including hair where appropriate. Oh one other thing, do something else that most plastic surgeries can't even do: regrow the skin in most cases WITHOUT scarring. Yeah, the FDA and all those scores of docs around the country all falling for that scam alright...poor dolts.

Then again, you should clearly be very familiar with stock scams. But you are correct about one thing: the shares I try to recommend not only sell for more that 5 cents a share, but actually have something to sell while also making a tidy profit. But don't let those insignificant differences stand in the way, partner.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 07:08:58 pm
It was just an analogy of what can happen on the otc vanny...not like the real frontier where men loaded up their families and said goodby to family and friends that they would never see again...only to be exposed to outlaws and Indians...rape and pillage...feast or famine....but thanks for looking out for the plebes...
Well while you're using your humble and folksy analogy don't forget that when panning for all that gold....it's a proven fact that most of the miners ended up broke and/or all they really ever struck was fool's gold. Oh yeah, your rambling on about "real frontier" pioneers exposing themselves to the dangers of outlaws, Indians and such are truly appropriate when it comes to the world of penny stocks.....yep, rape and pillage are truly appropriate. Smooth move there, Jack.

longbore

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 20, 2017, 07:17:57 pm
Well while you're using your humble and folksy analogy don't forget that when panning for all that gold....it's a proven fact that most of the miners ended up broke and/or all they really ever struck was fool's gold. Oh yeah, your rambling on about "real frontier" pioneers exposing themselves to the dangers of outlaws, Indians and such are truly appropriate when it comes to the world of penny stocks.....yep, rape and pillage are truly appropriate. Smooth move there, Jack.

True...very true...It was just a mannerly way of telling you I understand the pitfalls you wagon....oh by the way my dad wasn't an expert either...lol

Vantage 8 dude

October 20, 2017, 07:32:33 pm #97 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:47:52 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 06:38:38 pm
Here's a challenge vanny...see if you can go a months worth of post without having to tell people what a financial expert you are...lol
I've merely stated what my profession was for over forty years-nothing more, nothing less. And as a matter of full disclosure I've been quite upfront that I'm not the perfect investor, that I've made my fair share of mistakes; can't say the same about you, however. In case you're not aware/or need to be reminded this is a public discussion site; this particular area just happens to involve investments.

Tell you what though: since you apparently don't care for my comments/posts, which is certainly you're right, how about exercising that same choice and not bother reading and/or responding? We'll see if YOU can exercise the same discipline of  non posting as you've challenged me to do. And while we're at it how about posting some of your......ummm....not so      successful investment ventures. Oh yeah, that's right all we hear is your tripe concerning all the great "winners" you've had scalping a penny or two a share off those 1,000 share trades. Now THAT will really make you a Rockefeller...in four or five millennia.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 07:28:37 pm
True...very true...It was just a mannerly way of telling you I understand the pitfalls you wagon....oh by the way my dad wasn't an expert either...lol
Please don't bothering translating into English...inquiring minds really don't want to know. And as far as your dad not "being an expert" I'm honestly not sure I'd be telling that if I were you.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longbore on October 20, 2017, 06:28:47 pm
Anybody know how much it cost to hang a wells fargor advisors placard out front..lol
Nah, when they saw you walk in the door they removed theirs. Figured things couldn't get any worse though.