Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finebaum comments on the Louisville situation

Started by Hoggie17, September 27, 2017, 02:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

JaketheSnake

hoghearted

Honestly, even if J. Long were willing to give Petrino another shot, I don't think his bosses would be okay with it.

It's all water under the bridge and the stuff of fantasies. The way forward does not lie in the past.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogblitz

Quote from: Wildhog on September 28, 2017, 05:19:05 pm
lol, no.  There are a myriad of reasons that people want Long gone.  There are some that still think Long was wrong to fire Petrino, but they're in the minority.

FWIW, if we don't go to a bowl game and Bielema is retained, I'll be firmly in the Fire Long crowd.
This kind of thought process is what scares me and I think there are a significant number of people in this crowd.    We are in Year 5 and if he makes a bowl game you are okay with him coming back another year. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 07:09:51 pm
This kind of thought process is what scares me and I think there are a significant number of people in this crowd.    We are in Year 5 and if he makes a bowl game you are okay with him coming back another year. 
I'd still take him another year if he doesnt.  That should scare you plenty. 

As stated earlier in the thread, lots of good coaches took several years to get their programs built right, then had great runs.  Bowden, Snyder, Mullen.  Broyles went 5-5 in year 6, then won it all in year 7. 

I expect better results than what we have had, and I still believe CBB can do that. I do not want fire coaches left and right trying to find the next BP. 

Inhogswetrust

September 28, 2017, 07:46:37 pm #305 Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:29:47 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on September 28, 2017, 04:56:03 pm
It's not a problem. Go look at the poll on Long in another thread and see how many want him gone. You're in a small minority.

You simply don't get it. A poll on Long has NOTHING to do with if Bobby did enough to get fired. Maybe some of those polled had other reasons for not wanting Long besides Bobby getting fired. Besides that maybe those polled were the ones that are most adamant and dogged in their hatred of him for firing bobby and other things and thus more probable to answer a poll in a negative way. Most reasonable people I'd bet agree that overall he's done a good job. Besides Poll are always right huh. Remind us of what all those Polls said before the last election.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogblitz

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 28, 2017, 07:16:52 pm
I'd still take him another year if he doesnt.  That should scare you plenty. 

As stated earlier in the thread, lots of good coaches took several years to get their programs built right, then had great runs.  Bowden, Snyder, Mullen.  Broyles went 5-5 in year 6, then won it all in year 7. 

I expect better results than what we have had, and I still believe CBB can do that. I do not want fire coaches left and right trying to find the next BP.
Things are really looking like they are going the right direction after 5 years!   Let's throw the wins and losses out the window because he is doing it the right way!  Those don't matter! He has done so many things for going on 5 seasons  that really are impressive and gives one a sense of confidence.   I really like how his decision making continues to improve and the areas that he addresses for correction continue to get fixed.  I think we should give him 5 more years because any area of concern just needs more time due to his level of success.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: NoogaHog on September 28, 2017, 04:22:20 pm
6 pages in and I will comment. I enjoyed winning when CBP was on the Hill. However, there is no doubt about his lack of morals and lack of his ability to actually mentor the men under him. It has been discussed here that grades were terrible and class attendance was spotty during his tenure. But we won more then than we do now.

I appreciate what CBB is trying to do. He is trying to win the right way with high character kids. I wish we could do better. I wish we could win more with good kids who are good citizens and good students who represent the University well. I believe we can, but maybe not with our current coach.

I don't think it has to be either/or. I think that there is a stand up guy who can win. There are a few examples around, like Mark Richt, who was chased out of UGA because they grew tired of 9-10 wins. Not saying we should get Richt, just using him as an example.

If the rest of the season plays out like we fear it may, it will be time to move on from CBB. But surely we don't have to hike up our skirt to that jerk in order to be successful. There has to be other options.

This is not who I want representing Arkansas:

So....you don't want a guy like that..who was uttering those MF bombs, a few days after Garrett Uckman passed away from a heart condition, right after LSU's QB had ran in the end zone and acted like he ripped his chest open and pulled out a heart, all the while Les was having a big giggle on the sidelines?

Say what you want about Petrino and his ending here, but I want a dude like that who doesn't let that nonsense slide every Saturday in the fall. He let Miles have it after the game also. Should have broke his jaw. Bobby did nothing wrong that day, he stood up for a kid he had just lost while the coonasses thought it was funny...

PRJ

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 07:52:36 pm
Things are really looking like they are going the right direction after 5 years!   Let's throw the wins and losses out the window because he is doing it the right way!  Those don't matter! He has done so many things for going on 5 seasons  that really are impressive and gives one a sense of confidence.   I really like how his decision making continues to improve and the areas that he addresses for correction continue to get fixed.  I think we should give him 5 more years because any area of concern just needs more time due to his level of success.

We're losing the right way ???

hobhog

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 07:09:51 pm

If we go to a bowl, he IS coming back next year. Probably is anyway. So guess you need to stay scared. It is what it is...

hobhog

Anyone who honestly thinks there is ANY chance BP will ever work in this state again is truly delusional.

Nationally he is still the poster child of immortality and may be one of the most direspected coaches in recent history. UL is going down in flames and every reporter I have heard always mention BP on the football side being just as bad as basketball program.

Laughable.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on September 28, 2017, 07:55:21 pm
If we go to a bowl, he IS coming back next year. Probably is anyway. So guess you need to stay scared. It is what it is...

If he doesn't make a bowl, there will be vultures circling. They may not be successful but at that point it is just a matter of time. It took them a season and a half to get rid of Nutt. No bowl and Jeff doesn't make the change, it will change from vultures at Bret's door to then knocking on Jeff's door.

Bret is the one for quite awhile who pointed to year 5 of his tenure as the one that would tell the tale. He backed himself into that corner.

I expect that he and Jeff both will be looking to jump pretty quickly.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on September 28, 2017, 08:00:37 pm
Anyone who honestly thinks there is ANY chance BP will ever work in this state again is truly delusional.

Nationally he is still the poster child of immortality and may be one of the most direspected coaches in recent history. UL is going down in flames and every reporter I have heard always mention BP on the football side being just as bad as basketball program.

Laughable.

Nationally, every week on the TV's...all they talk about, nationally, is what a genius offensive mind he is. The ditch, the girl, the lie, the wind...the scandel....oh the horror of it all...well that is forgotten.

I agree with you though, Bobby ain't ever coming back here.

PRJ

hobhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 28, 2017, 08:03:53 pm
Nationally, every week on the TV's...all they talk about, nationally, is what a genius offensive mind he is. The ditch, the girl, the lie, the wind...the scandel....oh the horror of it all...well that is forgotten.

I agree with you though, Bobby ain't ever coming back here.

PRJ

Several national writers on Bo's  show today stated that they wouldn't be surprised if BP bolted UL and some desperate program would pay big for him. They all said he was the perfect fit in the cesspool UL but he'd leave for more cash...

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on September 28, 2017, 08:10:48 pm
Several national writers on Bo's  show today stated that they wouldn't be surprised if BP bolted UL and some desperate program would pay big for him. They all said he was the perfect fit in the cesspool UL but he'd leave for more cash...

Those programs are Texas A&M, Tennessee, maybe an Auburn, maybe a Florida...

Don't care what Bo says. Bo makes sure to bring that up to get traction on his show. When Louisville is on TV, it is never mentioned. However, they do mention what a genius he is as a coach.

PRJ

hogblitz

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 28, 2017, 08:01:31 pm
If he doesn't make a bowl, there will be vultures circling. They may not be successful but at that point it is just a matter of time. It took them a season and a half to get rid of Nutt. No bowl and Jeff doesn't make the change, it will change from vultures at Bret's door to then knocking on Jeff's door.

Bret is the one for quite awhile who pointed to year 5 of his tenure as the one that would tell the tale. He backed himself into that corner.

I expect that he and Jeff both will be looking to jump pretty quickly.

PRJ
PRJ, I am not convinced that he may not want out of here for the sake of his career.  The smart career move would be to get out before he further damages his resume

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 28, 2017, 06:55:33 pm
Would Long ever consider the re-hiring of Petrino? Probably a long shot. But, what if Long considered it and shaped it in such a way as to say, "Bobby and I have met and we have discussed his departure and the circumstances surrounding that departure. I am convinced, after speaking extensively with him, that he is a changed man and won't make the same mistake again. It has been said that, "To err is human, to forgive, divine", and as a part of our culture here at Arkansas, we do believe in second chances. And so I am pleased to announce that Bobby Petrino will be rejoining the Arkansas family for the 2018 season."

Now that is probably a stretch to imagine, it is for me as I write this, but it is likely more clear by this time that someone like Petrino and his offensive system may give us a greater opportunity to win in the range of 8 to 11 wins each year which would keep the coffers filled for Arkansas by keeping the fan base excited and would help continue to pay for all of the expansion costs.

On the other hand you have to ask yourself whether Long would be willing to accept that return and for that matter, whether Petrino and his family would want to come back to a place with a pretty prevalent negative history, when he might have other opportunities to land someplace like Auburn where he hasn't crapped the bed already from the standpoint of public perception? I mean, would BP's wife ever agree to come back to Fayetteville after all that has happened? I'm not sure that she would agree to that. I'm not sure that he would either, with or without Long being here.

I'm not sure I would want him back but I don't get paid to make those decisions. I guess you never know what might happen. I'd say the ball is in Bielema's court at this point and in that of Jeff Long as well.

You really think he would come back? I doubt it, whether Long was here or not. So all of this talk about BP returning is most likely, just wasted key strokes.
Go Hogs Go!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 07:52:36 pm
Because that's what I typed.  Reading comprehension not your strong point.

hobhog

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
PRJ, I am not convinced that he may not want out of here for the sake of his career.  The smart career move would be to get out before he further damages his resume

Yeah. Leaving a program on a losing note is always good for the resume....especially when you leave millions on the table.

I'm sure that's what he will do.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogblitz on September 28, 2017, 08:16:13 pm

I think that is a good bet. If he was to even make a bowl game, I think he is looking for the first opportunity to fly.

Now, dude could win out and this takes a different turn. I don't believe there is a chance in Hades of that happening, but it would buy him some time. Notice I said time. He has soured the stomach of some money people, who are fans just like we are, and some are more than a little perturbed. He pointed to year 5. Said that would be the year my fingerprints were totally on the program. My team. So far, the fingerprints are a failure.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on September 28, 2017, 08:19:17 pm
Yeah. Leaving a program on a losing note is always good for the resume....especially when you leave millions on the table.

Man...I know you want it to work out. But if you are fixing to launch into a freefall, you might weigh your options. I would venture to bet he is exploring options. If he starts the first 6 games 2-4, he will definitely be weighing his options. I bet he has been thinking about TV for several months. He will probably be thinking about it a whole lot more soon.

PRJ

hogblitz

Quote from: hobhog on September 28, 2017, 08:19:17 pm

The money and contract will be renegotiated. They will waive HIS 2 Million dollar buyout clause and coaching at another school clause and he will go some place like the level of an Indiana.  He will come out of the deal with much of the buyout money that was owed and a new job to try and revive his career. 

Gonzo

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 03:08:54 pm
You sure project a lot of spite, hate and venom for a man that has spent the last 2 days trying to soften everyone's hearts with Christian values.

Whether it's accurate or not, considering who he was responding to, that might be the funniest and most ironic post I've read here in quite awhile.

Go Hogs!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 05:25:06 pm
I asked you once and you cowered down and refused to answer so Ill ask again. What was another lie you think Jeff told in that press conference. You said he told more than one lie, name another. You have taken the stupid shovel and dug yourself so deep in your hole of wrong you cant even remember how to get back to right.
Ask for something from Guv... then he disappears.  He must be caught up in the web of Jeff Long's lies.