Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The end of an era

Started by heavylifting, December 22, 2017, 06:13:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heavylifting

I'm 57 and came of age racingwise in the 1970s and '80s.

Through much of that time, two of the biggest names in the sport were Leroy Jolley and David Whiteley.

Jolley died on Monday and Whiteley died earlier this year.

I don't want to get into an online argument over who was the preeminent trainer during that era -- Whittingham in California undoubtedly and probably Woody Stephens in New York/Florida -- but LJ and DW always had a say -- ALWAYS -- in the year's Triple Crown races.

Two things I find unique about them aside from that they passed away in close proximity to each other, chronologically speaking.

First, they both trained for Peter Brant. Whiteley had Waya for him, Jolley had Gulch for him and then lost that one to D Wayne. Wonder if DW is looking over his shoulder for the Grim Reaper. Wouldn't wish it on him, but would be ironic if he were to breathe his last in Hot Springs, where Jolley was born.

Second, and more poignant, is the way they both left the sport, which is to say very quietly. There were no loud headlines announcing their retirements. They both seemed to drift into oblivion as others took their place. My hunch (and it's only a hunch) is that they weren't cut out for a world in which they were expected to race strings at three, four or even more circuits, where their success and reputation would depend on the assistants and vets they aligned themselves with. They were horsemen, not chemists, and as the '90s wore on, they knew it was time to get out.

Jolley kept a small string of ragtag runners in recent years (I guess he was more humble than I would have thought during his glory years) and I remember seeing him about 5 years ago at Monmouth Park. I was astonished at how much he still resembled his younger self, which is to say a near dead ringer for Bob Newhart. I was astounded to read that he succumbed to lung cancer; I don't remember ever seeing him with a cigarette in his hand, although I do realize that lung cancer can result even in nonsmokers.

For me, an era ended this year. I could choose to be sad, but I'm glad to have lived through it. I'm only sad for those who will never know the glory the sport enjoyed during their participation.

HawgWild

And who can forget L J's filly, Genuine Risk. Thanks for sharing those memories.

heavylifting

Quote from: HawgWild on December 22, 2017, 07:42:00 pm
And who can forget L J's filly, Genuine Risk. Thanks for sharing those memories.
Which leads us back to D. Wayne. His only big horse (if my memory is correct) prior to 1980 was Terlinqua and I don't think she raced outside of California.

Codex, however, put DWL on the national map after he won the 1980 Preakness at the expense of Genuine Risk, Cordero and Codex having taken Vasquez and GR wide into the far turn at Pimlico.

HawgWild

Float them wide (GR) or pin them on the rail (Caveat/Belmont) Cordero was no Angel.