Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

workout plan

Started by immahog, July 22, 2013, 09:33:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

immahog

Im 5"11 an 175 lbs I wnt to add about 10 lbs of muscle....any helpful tips or workout plans anyone have ??
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

H&D

What do you have access to?  What type of equipment, time, ect?  I was your size about a year ago, I'm up to 192lbs.  But I also had a major shoulder surgery seven months ago, and sitting around helped me put some weight on.  I wouldn't suggest going that route.

If you want to gain weight, you have to eat (aka BULK).  Now you can bulk dirty or clean, it just depends on what your goal is.  If you want the weight faster, bulk dirty and get ready for bit of a spare tire. You can get rid of it later.  If you are more patient bulk clean. 

I just started the Wendler 5/3/1 program.  I'm doing a version of it called "Boring But Big".  It's basically Squat, Bench, Press and Deadlift.  I haven't been in it long enough to tell you about any results, but I know there are guys on the board that like it.  The reviews for it are good across the internet. And just looking at it, it seems pretty can't miss.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

immahog

Quote from: H&D on July 22, 2013, 02:07:49 pm
What do you have access to?  What type of equipment, time, ect?  I was your size about a year ago, I'm up to 192lbs.  But I also had a major shoulder surgery seven months ago, and sitting around helped me put some weight on.  I wouldn't suggest going that route.

If you want to gain weight, you have to eat (aka BULK).  Now you can bulk dirty or clean, it just depends on what your goal is.  If you want the weight faster, bulk dirty and get ready for bit of a spare tire. You can get rid of it later.  If you are more patient bulk clean. 

I just started the Wendler 5/3/1 program.  I'm doing a version of it called "Boring But Big".  It's basically Squat, Bench, Press and Deadlift.  I haven't been in it long enough to tell you about any results, but I know there are guys on the board that like it.  The reviews for it are good across the internet. And just looking at it, it seems pretty can't miss.

thanks I wanna go clean ...I kno I need to eat more for one an as far as time i get off at 3pm every day so plenty of time an i have acces to a full gym at my complex im just lookin for a good plan to follow

H&D

Quote from: immahog on July 29, 2013, 08:34:54 am
thanks I wanna go clean ...I kno I need to eat more for one an as far as time i get off at 3pm every day so plenty of time an i have acces to a full gym at my complex im just lookin for a good plan to follow

There are a million good plans, the secrete is that doing just about anything will get results as long as you are consistent and eat right. The easy part is having the physical strength to lift heavy weights, the hard part is having the mental strength to do it everyday.   
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Hogsmo Kramer

Lift heavy and focus on getting stronger. If you achieve that the muscle gain should take care of itself as long as you're eating.

I second H&D's suggestion of 531 as it's my go to program but there are many other good ones out there too.

Like H&D said any program will work as long as you're pushing yourself but I'll add that any program will stop working too eventually. I stay on 531 type programs most of the time but make sure to switch off occasionally just to give my body and mind a rest from the heavy lifting and to introduce a new stimulus to my body. Usually it's not anything major and sometimes it's just taking a week or so off.

The trick is to know your body and do what works for you. That said 531 is probably the only program I'd almost guarantee you'll get stronger and more muscular on especially if you've never been on that kind of program before. 

Good luck!

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

immahog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 31, 2013, 08:21:05 am
Lift heavy and focus on getting stronger. If you achieve that the muscle gain should take care of itself as long as you're eating.

I second H&D's suggestion of 531 as it's my go to program but there are many other good ones out there too.

Like H&D said any program will work as long as you're pushing yourself but I'll add that any program will stop working too eventually. I stay on 531 type programs most of the time but make sure to switch off occasionally just to give my body and mind a rest from the heavy lifting and to introduce a new stimulus to my body. Usually it's not anything major and sometimes it's just taking a week or so off.

The trick is to know your body and do what works for you. That said 531 is probably the only program I'd almost guarantee you'll get stronger and more muscular on especially if you've never been on that kind of program before. 

Good luck!

thanks today is my upper body day after i get off. my body hurts in places i didnt even kno could hurt but i love the feeling

Dr. Starcs

I'm also trying to add muscle, but without gaining the fat. How much cardio should I be doing?

clutch

2nd or 3rd or whatever the 531 program if you are looking to add muscle. Make sure you eat enough and you will put on size. Great program for strength gains.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2013, 05:02:18 pm
I'm also trying to add muscle, but without gaining the fat. How much cardio should I be doing?

Not too much, it will limit take away from your muscle gains. Eat clean, lift hard and heavy, do some low impact cardio like the eliptical for 15-20 mins. Mainly EAT CLEAN. Bigger muscles means more calories burned. Unless you are bulking dirty (eating dirty) you shouldn't get fat.

AFWarrior83

You can achieve mass gains by using the 5x5 strength workout program. 5 sets of 5 reps on each workout that you do. I deployed back in '08 for six months, and during that time I made max gains of approx 100 lbs on bench (165 to 265) and 200 lbs on squat (165 to 350). I worked out every other day doing the 5x5 routine (an hr every workout day). I also gained about 20 lbs without trying to gain weight. I just wanted to get stronger without gaining weight, but that's hard to do.

I quit working out, and now I'm just stocky. I recently decided to get back into working out, but I'm changing my routine to 2 sets of 12-15 reps on each workout. I'll have to throw in some cardio though if I truly want to trim the fat. I didn't do any cardio when I did the 5x5 program.
Hogville member since 2005.

LouisianaHog

I agree with the above.

Add some Creatine and Nitric Oxide in a pre-workout drink.

www.sbmuscle.com has the cheapest I've found.