morells

Started by bolo, March 22, 2016, 09:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Hog_Swanson

I've seen some buddies on FB showing off some, but they were pretty small. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hogs run wild

sorta off topic, but has anyone found any truffles in arkansas, or are they just not native here?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

radar

Haven't found any yet, but the next 3 weeks should be good with all the rain we have had, just need some warm weather.
Speaking of truffles, I have a neighbor who saw a tv show about truffle hunters in England that had trained dogs to hunt and find the truffles. He came up with the idea of training his rat terrier to find the morel. I went out with him last spring, and that little dog found 67 morels in about 4 hours, dangest thing I have ever seen. Made me promise not to tell anybody around here because he was afraid somebody would steal his dog.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: radar on March 24, 2016, 01:32:59 am
Haven't found any yet, but the next 3 weeks should be good with all the rain we have had, just need some warm weather.
Speaking of truffles, I have a neighbor who saw a tv show about truffle hunters in England that had trained dogs to hunt and find the truffles. He came up with the idea of training his rat terrier to find the morel. I went out with him last spring, and that little dog found 67 morels in about 4 hours, dangest thing I have ever seen. Made me promise not to tell anybody around here because he was afraid somebody would steal his dog.
You got an address for this friend? 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

bolo

awesome
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Grizzlyfan

Don't they also use pigs to hunt truffles in Europe?

SemperHawg

I got into a good mess of them after finishing up cleaning the Turkey I got this weekend.

SemperHawg

Normally I would't consider finding 7 of them a good mess, but as you can see when you have 7 that are all the size of an apple that will more than suffice.

RazorBassin

Ok, I've seen this become a lot more common throughout the last few years.  How are you cooking/preparing these and what are they good to serve with?

SemperHawg

Cut them in half...They should be hollow in the middle.  Then clean them thouroughly.

I cook them one of two different ways

Just smashing some coldies with the buddies I corn meal batter and fry them, just like you would fish.

The second way if I am wanting to be all fancy is i will sautee them in butter garlic white wine and a small splash of lemon juice.  Low heat for a longer time.  I will usually throw them over a steak when I cook them like that.

RazorBassin

radar

Soak them in salt water to get the insects out, salt & pepper, dip in beaten egg, dip in flour then deep fry, serve warm with ranch dressing dip.

Mushroom gravy- salt water soak, slice like okra, saute in butter, salt and black pepper, add enough flour for thickening gravy, then add milk and cook until thick, good on pork or beef.