Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Duck Season

Started by OnTheHillHogFan, November 22, 2015, 03:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OnTheHillHogFan

Anyone been out this weekend and how did you do? I should be out in the blind Wednesday morning and I am glad Duck season is back. Hopefully we see some more winter weather up north so the Mallard numbers will go up. I read the other day they are about half of what they were last year at this time.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Albert Einswine

We're in the 20's here in a band across the central midwest so that ought to help push them down.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

theFlyingHog

Hunted Saturday and today in Arkansas county. Not many mallards at all. We got a few to work and killed one all weekend. The guys that killed a bunch were mostly gadwalls. Never seen so many specks

theFlyingHog

Hunted today. No ducks in the area and a few geese here and there. The geese don't think much of my calling.

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 26, 2015, 11:38:49 am
Hunted today. No ducks in the area and a few geese here and there. The geese don't think much of my calling.

I hate to waste my lead, err....steel on one of them, except to put the big sucker down. My reports were that opening weekend was good, I was in Fayetteville, and it's diminished since then.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 26, 2015, 04:12:22 pm
I hate to waste my lead, err....steel on one of them, except to put the big sucker down. My reports were that opening weekend was good, I was in Fayetteville, and it's diminished since then.
I only shoot specks, and they're the best tasting meat I've had

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 26, 2015, 04:28:18 pm
Co-sign, if we are only in migratory animals.

A fatass tbone/ribeye/filet still beats it, although my last meal may be bacon wrapped grilled goose followed by a tbone w baked potato.

Sounds like a good bowl game meal!
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on November 26, 2015, 05:41:37 pm
Co-sign, if we are only in migratory animals.

A fatass tbone/ribeye/filet still beats it, although my last meal may be bacon wrapped grilled goose followed by a tbone w baked potato.

Sounds like a good bowl game meal!
Yeah, well, my hunting method won't get much meat on the grill. Waiting for low-flyers to come over isn't effective

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 26, 2015, 04:28:18 pm

Ribeye in the sky.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 26, 2015, 06:46:15 pm
Yeah, well, my hunting method won't get much meat on the grill. Waiting for low-flyers to come over isn't effective
Well, I guess there's always jalapeño sausage.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

LSUFan

I'll take fried deer steak, mash taters, gravy, fried okra, corn bread, and purple hull peas any day over a flying liver.

Although they are fun to shoot.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

IronHog

Quote from: LSUFan on November 27, 2015, 08:09:28 pm
I'll take fried deer steak, mash taters, gravy, fried okra, corn bread, and purple hull peas any day over a flying liver.

Although they are fun to shoot.

Waterfowl is great cooked properly.

Key is not overcook.....otherwise it tastes like liver.

root_hawg

64 on Saturday, 2 shy of limit and 90 on sunday .. full limit but that is the whole duck club

theFlyingHog

Quote from: root_hawg on November 29, 2015, 02:00:52 pm
64 on Saturday, 2 shy of limit and 90 on sunday .. full limit but that is the whole duck club
In Arkansas?

root_hawg

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 29, 2015, 04:38:59 pm
In Arkansas?

This guy is also a pro scratch golfer his first weekend to ever play.  So take it for what it's worth...

Not you Flyin, the guy you quoted

I've hunted twice and totaled the two hunts on public land, 2 mallards, 3 teal, 2 wood ducks, 3 gadwalls.  One hunt was cut really short because of rain. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 03, 2015, 09:29:38 am
This guy is also a pro scratch golfer his first weekend to ever play.  So take it for what it's worth...

Not you Flyin, the guy you quoted

I've hunted twice and totaled the two hunts on public land, 2 mallards, 3 teal, 2 wood ducks, 3 gadwalls.  One hunt was cut really short because of rain.
I see. I know a guy who told me they killed 3,000 two seasons ago which by my math is 50 a day every day of the season. And I can hear them shoot. And they don't hunt every day

theFlyingHog

Nothing to do with root but it amazes me how people will lie about how many ducks they kill. If there are ducks I know I'll kill some, if there aren't ducks I won't. Why lie?

LSUFan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 03, 2015, 09:39:21 am
Nothing to do with root but it amazes me how people will lie about how many ducks they kill. If there are ducks I know I'll kill some, if there aren't ducks I won't. Why lie?
Those of us that fish lie all the damn time.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 03, 2015, 09:39:21 am

Same reason they buy a jacked up 3/4 ton diesel to pull a metal boat or 4wheeler........

RazorPiggie

I'm still waiting for all the Duck Dynasty hunters to quit. That show was the worst thing to ever happen to duck hunting.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 09, 2015, 08:36:45 am
I'm still waiting for all the Duck Dynasty hunters to quit. That show was the worst thing to ever happen to duck hunting.
That's the truth! I don't like duck hunting being "hip", where a dozen decoys cost almost as much as my 870. Now I get ridiculed for not having one of those LED lightbars on my boat. Srsly? Well now I have flooded timber and holes no one is man enough to get to

RazorPiggie

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 09, 2015, 09:59:11 am
That's the truth! I don't like duck hunting being "hip", where a dozen decoys cost almost as much as my 870. Now I get ridiculed for not having one of those LED lightbars on my boat. Srsly? Well now I have flooded timber and holes no one is man enough to get to

I remember 5 even 10 years ago not really having to wake up at 3am to get out to our spot on public land. Where I hunt (FS area) there used to be about 6 groups of hunters and they were in their spot every Saturday morning, never had to worry about pulling up to your blind and someone being there. Times have changed now. Now there's about 15-20 trucks at the boat ramp with people hunting 100 yards or closer from you now. I've got a newborn at home. I got no desire to get up at 2 and get out to a spot (maybe not even the one I want) by 3 and sit there for 3 hours before you can shoot with no birds in the area. I think I'm going to wait till some private land to come available.

DeltaBoy

Good luck to you all cause I been retired from Duck Hunting every since they banned Lead and forced that sorry Steel crap on us.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 09, 2015, 11:07:30 am
I remember 5 even 10 years ago not really having to wake up at 3am to get out to our spot on public land. Where I hunt (FS area) there used to be about 6 groups of hunters and they were in their spot every Saturday morning, never had to worry about pulling up to your blind and someone being there. Times have changed now. Now there's about 15-20 trucks at the boat ramp with people hunting 100 yards or closer from you now. I've got a newborn at home. I got no desire to get up at 2 and get out to a spot (maybe not even the one I want) by 3 and sit there for 3 hours before you can shoot with no birds in the area. I think I'm going to wait till some private land to come available.
I hunted around Augusta with some guys late last year. 3 of em got to our hole at 4am. Cranked up their heaters, cooked and ate breakfast and went to sleep until shooting time. It's just not worth it to me to do that ish

pick_DA_EAGLES

I'm going on my first duck hunt since 1995 tomorrow, luckily I get to hunt on some private ground around cache river and black swamp. Not sure what to expect. Just ready to kill a greenhead.

covert

no ducks in the river valley,gonna skip the first couple days of season 2 I guess.

theFlyingHog

Saw plenty of ducks on White River NWR this morning. So crowded anything we got working flared from nearby shots

pick_DA_EAGLES

Saw lots of ducks, we just couldn't get them to work our spot. So much water they can land just about anywhere and eat. The ones that acted half way interested really didn't seem to want to work. Not sure if the warm weather played a part or not.

onebadrubi

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 10, 2015, 05:12:55 pm
Saw plenty of ducks on White River NWR this morning. So crowded anything we got working flared from nearby shots

What section of nwr are you hunting?  I've scouted hard this past split and didn't see many on the northern white tract. 

And I was in a club once we killed 2400 birds that year, but that is dove, teal, duck, and goose season.  We took advantage of the snow goose season too.  I can't remember how many of that number were ducks though but I think at least half. We had like 400 dove too.  21 members and could bring one guest at anytime.  Give or take 2500 acres.  Was fun but land owner who ran the club just got ridiculous and greedy so I got out.

onebadrubi

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 10, 2015, 10:51:50 pm
Saw lots of ducks, we just couldn't get them to work our spot. So much water they can land just about anywhere and eat. The ones that acted half way interested really didn't seem to want to work. Not sure if the warm weather played a part or not.

Check your spread, mojo setups, make sure faces are well hidden. Also something I ALWAYS do it make sure the ducks are to be looking at the soread and you as they are looking in the sun. You are a sitting duck if your looking in the sun!

Hope these tips help if you're not already aware of them.  I'm always trying to learn another trick or improve my soread so I love hearing others ideas. Hope mine dnot offend you. 

Good luck guys.  Hope you guys have Camo swim trunks for this weekend! 

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 11, 2015, 12:03:49 am
Check your spread, mojo setups, make sure faces are well hidden. Also something I ALWAYS do it make sure the ducks are to be looking at the soread and you as they are looking in the sun. You are a sitting duck if your looking in the sun!

Hope these tips help if you're not already aware of them.  I'm always trying to learn another trick or improve my soread so I love hearing others ideas. Hope mine dnot offend you. 

Good luck guys.  Hope you guys have Camo swim trunks for this weekend!

Yea we moved the decoys around, the 3 of us were hid well. Sun was behind us best as it could be, wind was at our backs kinda. I guess they just didn't want where we were.

Moving a little in the morning, but going by myself, the other 2 have other obligations.

Thanks for the input though. Good luck to you guys 

root_hawg

Its a private lease and its about 270k to join, they always have ducks since then ... I haven't killed more than 3 in a day

root_hawg

I have heard a couple of the other big $ leases are killing limits most every day as well.

I still play to an 8 handicap as well

RazorPiggie

Quote from: root_hawg on December 11, 2015, 03:43:47 am
Its a private lease and its about 270k to join, they always have ducks since then ... I haven't killed more than 3 in a day

270k to join? And people do this??? Idiots lol.

And I doubt you're playing at an 8 now with all your shoulder problems.

IronHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 10, 2015, 10:51:50 pm

Ducks are just wild now.  Too much pressure.

If you ain't on the X it is pretty tough anymore.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2015, 10:23:00 am
Ducks are just wild now.  Too much pressure.

If you ain't on the X it is pretty tough anymore.

I did kill a greenhead this morning,  my first in 20 years. Lol

I used to hunt everyday back then. 1 thing I have noticed is steel shot has improved A LOT, since then or it could be the new choke tube.

Last time I bought duck stamps you had to go to the post office to get your federal stamp.

IronHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 11, 2015, 02:09:40 pm
I did kill a greenhead this morning,  my first in 20 years. Lol

I used to hunt everyday back then. 1 thing I have noticed is steel shot has improved A LOT, since then or it could be the new choke tube.

Last time I bought duck stamps you had to go to the post office to get your federal stamp.

Steel shot is drastically improved

3in 12 is almost as good as a 20 with lead now 😄

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2015, 03:36:08 pm

Steel shot is drastically improved

3in 12 is almost as good as a 20 with lead now 😄

I thought everyone shot 10 gauge these days........

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 11, 2015, 09:52:02 am
270k to join? And people do this??? Idiots lol.

And I doubt you're playing at an 8 now with all your shoulder problems.

I depends on the club and what you are getting and if it's a true ownership interest.

pick_DA_EAGLES

What choke tube does everyone use?

I have the patternmaster anaconda long range, haven't shot it enough yet to tell much about it.

root_hawg

True ownership, half million dollar lodge, almost 1,000 acres

That's true on handicap, not playing at all right now just waiting..

hawgwild child

pick_DA_EAGLES

pick_DA_EAGLES

3 of us killed our limits this morning by 8:00

pignparadise

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 14, 2015, 10:05:36 am
3 of us killed our limits this morning by 8:00
We used to own a farm in the Raft Creek bottoms. Have seen the sky blacken with mallards and later couldn't go to sleep for the sound of their wings ringing in my ears. Live in New Mexico now. Have had a good season. I've killed 73 ducks  so far and have 41 days left in the season.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

DeltaBoy

It seems spotty Monroe County on the North end yes  South end very few and farther South into Ark County more.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 11, 2015, 12:00:20 am
What section of nwr are you hunting?  I've scouted hard this past split and didn't see many on the northern white tract. 

And I was in a club once we killed 2400 birds that year, but that is dove, teal, duck, and goose season.  We took advantage of the snow goose season too.  I can't remember how many of that number were ducks though but I think at least half. We had like 400 dove too.  21 members and could bring one guest at anytime.  Give or take 2500 acres.  Was fun but land owner who ran the club just got ridiculous and greedy so I got out.
North, couple miles up from st charles. Ain't nobody killing much around there except gadwalls

theFlyingHog

I heard there's a lot somewhere up around Jonesboro. I'm on call most of the rest of the season so I won't get to go much more

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 14, 2015, 07:25:53 pm
I heard there's a lot somewhere up around Jonesboro. I'm on call most of the rest of the season so I won't get to go much more

Shh......nothing to see up here, everyone keeping moving along.