Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The cleansing is complete.

Started by ArkansasI, January 10, 2017, 11:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

We have come full circle. Arkansas needed to give Mike a chance. We needed to exorcise Nolan's demons and pay pennance for whatever the University, administration and Razorback fans did to Nolan, Mike and whoever else...

Tonight, our debt is paid. Mike is a rich man. He can continue coaching or retire after a financially successful career.

At season's end, Jeff will have a simple decision to make. Maintain the status quo -> fail to turn the tide of ever-growing fan apathy as a second tier and falling SEC basketball program; or join the fight and attempt to resurrect the program and fan interest with a new coach that has energy and talent that draws Arkansas's and the region's best basketball talent to Fayetteville.

Mike has proven he is unable to change the direction of Razorback basketball. It is a tough job... It will take a great coach to bring us back. But nothing is owed to Nolan or his legacy. For the fan's interest, we ought to give someone else a try.

hobhog

I don't think he has the support to survive. Long will make the change. Book it.

InHOGuration Ball

I would like to see Mike play the younger guys more to allow them an opportunity to develop and gain experience. At this point, there is no value to the BB program to continue playing Seniors and a couple of Juniors who are not going to help next year. 

I just don't see this team doing any better than the first round of the NIT at best.  At some point, you have to face reality.

upperdeck_hawg

the thread title sounded like some pagan human sacrifice
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Kevin

Quote from: hobhog on January 10, 2017, 11:09:26 pm
I don't think he has the support to survive. Long will make the change. Book it.

Not a chance
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

forrest city joe

If Long fires Anderson. it would be just like when he fired the football coach. it would backfire.

ArkansasI

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on January 10, 2017, 11:35:51 pm
the thread title sounded like some pagan human sacrifice
Sorry for the drama, but that is what the last 15+ years have felt like.

After watching tonight's game, I simply believe we can move on without angst. Who could blame us for making a change?  Not players. Not fans. Not opponents. Not even Mike.

ArkansasI

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 10, 2017, 11:39:46 pm
If Long fires Anderson. it would be just like when he fired the football coach. it would backfire.
Why?  What are you talking about?

Jeff had to fire Bobby. I think he has to fire Mike, too. But Mike's termination would be performance-based.

cityhog

If we miss the tournament this year we have to move on. 1 NCAA IN 6 years. No one on this planet would question letting him go.

HawgAdvocate

The football coach had been exceeding expectations, though. Sugar Bowl. Cotton Bowl. Clear winning progression.

The basketball coach, not so much. None of that, actually.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rude1

If Mike's head rolls, I think we can thank the football team for tanking the seasons end. Long is already dug in with support for Bret, I am not sure he wants to take on the added burden of an under performing basketball coach. Mike might be just the bait he needs to feed to the sharks, to get some of this bitter taste out of Hog fan's mouths.

Kevin

I think Anderson, bielema, dykes never get fired if the run great programs and win just enough
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogs958

between the basketball and football team it's been a depressing couple of weeks.

I've seen plenty of excuses though.

cardsNhogs

comparing Petrino and Andersons possible firing? I don't get it

forrest city joe

Quote from: rude1 on January 10, 2017, 11:48:04 pm
If Mike's head rolls, I think we can thank the football team for tanking the seasons end. Long is already dug in with support for Bret, I am not sure he wants to take on the added burden of an under performing basketball coach. Mike might be just the bait he needs to feed to the sharks, to get some of this bitter taste out of Hog fan's mouths.
Now on this we agree. and that's what im worried about. Mike may not get any more time because the football team sucks. you may be spot on about this. and it would be a big mistake.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Kevin on January 10, 2017, 11:49:25 pm
I think Anderson, bielema, dykes never get fired if the run great programs and win just enough
That's just it - Mike doesn't win enough. What's truly embarrassing is he's built/padded his records with weak non-conference opponents.

The crazy thing is fans don't want to watch no-named opponents - even if they're good. Just as in football, it's impossible to win those games.  This grows apathy.

Tough to build fan support the way teams chase the almighty dollar these days. Fans aren't stupid, and we've exceeded the Average Joe's tolerance.

forrest city joe

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 10, 2017, 11:52:47 pm
comparing Petrino and Andersons possible firing? I don't get it
Neither should have been fired. i said it at the time.CBP should have been suspended without pay.i would not have fired the best coach we have had in 30 years.

Hogs958

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 10, 2017, 11:58:35 pm
Neither should have been fired. i said it at the time.CBP should have been suspended without pay.i would not have fired the best coach we have had in 30 years.

The best coach we've had in 30 years is Nolan.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 10, 2017, 11:56:21 pm
Now on this we agree. and that's what im worried about. Mike may not get any more time because the football team sucks. you may be spot on about this. and it would be a big mistake.

No it wouldn't. This job is more appealing now than 6 years ago.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 11, 2017, 12:00:36 am

Practice facility FTW! (Thanks Coach A!)
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2017, 12:02:11 am
Practice facility FTW! (Thanks Coach A!)

Andersons crowning achievement at Arkansas

Sivad

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 10, 2017, 11:42:02 pm
After watching tonight's game, I simply believe we can move on without angst. Who could blame us for making a change?  Not players. Not fans. Not opponents. Not even Mike.
I'm sure Nolan will advise him to sue us, but you're right - the evidence is solid that his termination is for poor performance.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 11, 2017, 12:00:11 am
The best coach we've had in 30 years is Nolan.
IM talking about football. you are right about Nolan.

rude1

The cleansing isn't complete until we have a coach who wins. If Mike can turn this around and win enough to get into the dance, I am fine with that. If not, time to hit the reset button and try it again.

Hogs958

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 11, 2017, 12:11:05 am
IM talking about football. you are right about Nolan.

Ya I'm just talking overall. He won a NC.

It's too bad how things went down with that.

Arazorbackguy1

Not in a million years
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 11, 2017, 12:00:36 am

Practice facility
Jerry Jones Center
BWA upgrades
Better academic progress
No off court issues
Two solid recruiting classes in the pipeline
Good amount of talent on the roster

This program would be attractive to good coaches. I think if we started the bidding at $3 million, we could attract quality.

code red

I see absolutely no in game adjustments....It's almost like he doesn't even care.  I say pull the trigger now....Give it to Scottie as an interrum..
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 06:13:59 am
Practice facility
Jerry Jones Center
BWA upgrades
Better academic progress
No off court issues
Two solid recruiting classes in the pipeline
Good amount of talent on the roster

This program would be attractive to good coaches. I think if we started the bidding at $3 million, we could attract quality.

Yes, but who?

The_Iceman

DeltaBoy

I want Mike to to have at least 2 more years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.