Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball Has Lost Its Soul

Started by CaseyVick, January 10, 2017, 10:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyVick

Arkansas Basketball has been over homogenized by the AD. He took away Slobbering Hog so the "brand" would have a single logo in front facing Hog, but then created Pumba to co-exist with front facing hog. We got rid of our iconic uniforms in a pathetic attempt to keep up with contemporary trends and styles, and substituted very successful Coke products for the abomination that are Pepsi products. These have all been losing moves that have caused our brand to plummet in value. The only way for us to correct course is to return Slobbering Hog to midcourt and let his magic take us to the promised land.

cityhog

A floor logo and old uniforms isn't bring this program back from
The dead. Only a complete and total break from the past will get the ball rolling.

Beaverfever

The damage to the program isn't new.  I was a student from 06-11 and went to almost every game.  Razorback basketball suffered a lot during that time period.  There was still pretty good enthusiasm from time to time and it felt like we were getting it all back when we beat OU/Texas in a two week period.  Those games were incredible and the Bud was a madhouse.  Courtney Fortson, Mike Washington, and Marcus Monk were putting on clinics.  Then 2 and 14 happened and I think things fan support hasn't been the same since then. 

Poker_hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 11, 2017, 08:16:24 am
The damage to the program isn't new.  I was a student from 06-11 and went to almost every game.  Razorback basketball suffered a lot during that time period.  There was still pretty good enthusiasm from time to time and it felt like we were getting it all back when we beat OU/Texas in a two week period.  Those games were incredible and the Bud was a madhouse.  Courtney Fortson, Mike Washington, and Marcus Monk were putting on clinics.  Then 2 and 14 happened and I think things fan support hasn't been the same since then. 

Yep you almost expect the implosion at some point.  We start off 11-1, everyone gets a little excited then sure enough we lose 3 out of 4.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

The_Iceman

Slobbering Hog has nothing to do with our current problems. It's the head coach.

revolution

Mike ain't got no soul! They punkin' us!

JayBell

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2017, 08:40:20 amSlobbering Hog has nothing to do with our current problems. It's the head coach.

Psh, not even.  It's the lack of "very successful Coke products" that has doomed the program.

The real Hogules

Quote from: cityhog on January 10, 2017, 10:38:43 pm
A floor logo and old uniforms isn't bring this program back from
The dead. Only a complete and total break from the past will get the ball rolling.

What do you think that Stan Heath and John Pelphery were??? They were a total break from the past and neither exactly set the world on fire. Let's either fix the problem QUICKLY, or pay top $$$ for a can't miss coaching hire!
Losing in almost EVERY sport has grown old.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ifghog

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 11, 2017, 09:08:32 am
What do you think that Stan Heath and John Pelphery were??? They were a total break from the past and neither exactly set the world on fire. Let's either fix the problem QUICKLY, or pay top $$$ for a can't miss coaching hire!
It is getting old isn't it.....we spend way to much money on our program to not win in anything but track. Yes I know Gymnastics and Baseball are pretty good.

bvillepig

Yes we have become impartial spectators to an avg  movie that costs a lot.

3kgthog

I will agree that changing the midcourt logo didn't kill the program, but it did mentally change the program with many fans. It took away the uniqueness of our mascot and how Slobberin' Hog was associated with winning.

There was no real need to change it. It wasn't harming branding from a measurable standpoint. It wasn't causing confusion. Anyone tuning in to watch Arkansas basketball knows what that logo is and who it represents. Much like the Dykes hire, killing the traditional Hog was another case of Jeff Long thinking he's smarter than all those that came before him. What tradition does Arkansas basketball have left now? Nothing.

cityhog

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 11, 2017, 09:08:32 am

Disagree. Heath was a decision based on the perception that Frank Broyles couldn't work with a black coach, hence not a clean break, but rather a reaction to a past relationship. Ergo, best coach was not hired, so not a clean break with the past. Pel was a reach because of ineffective leadership by the man that helped fuel the Nolan fiasco. Again, JWhite's participation in that hire, in my mind, does not constitute a break from the past because of his history with Nolan.

Long screwed the pooch with the MA hire. He had the opportunity 6 years ago to make the absolute break from the past as he has no connection to the past athletic or university administration. He allowed himself to be swayed by the song of yesteryear. It's been a spectacular failure. No tourney this year, you HAVE to make the break once and for all and bury Hawgball, 40 minutes of Hell and Fastest 40.

I, for one, want a quality product as opposed to a quality hashtag. #uncommonlybad

Big Boi

Quote from: CaseyVick on January 10, 2017, 10:37:20 pm
Arkansas Basketball has been over homogenized by the AD. He took away Slobbering Hog so the "brand" would have a single logo in front facing Hog, but then created Pumba to co-exist with front facing hog. We got rid of our iconic uniforms in a pathetic attempt to keep up with contemporary trends and styles, and substituted very successful Coke products for the abomination that are Pepsi products. These have all been losing moves that have caused our brand to plummet in value. The only way for us to correct course is to return Slobbering Hog to midcourt and let his magic take us to the promised land.
Basketball was put on life support on Dec 19, 2002. Broyles and White did more to kill basketball than long.