Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Pressey remarks on CMA

Started by HawgHeadCheese, January 08, 2017, 08:30:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgHeadCheese

January 08, 2017, 08:30:10 am Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:58:59 pm by HawgHeadCheese
I met Phil Pressey former Missouri PG and NBA PG at my last orthopedic job in Dallas. I asked him how was CMA as a coach and if he liked CMA or Haith better. He said CMA was a good coach and very cool, but said he didn't allow him the freedom offensively that Haith allowed. He did say he was a Fr. when CMA was the coach there and that might've played a part in the situation. That comment made me think is CMA  timid to play FR. in certain games (mainly conference or competitive games). I really think Bailey and Jones could really help this team even if given only 4-6 min. a game. Other than Portis I havent seen many Fr. here play major min. What is your take on this?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 08:30:10 am
I met Phil Pressley former Missouri PG and NBA PG at my last orthopedic job in Dallas. I asked him how was CMA as a coach and if he liked CMA or Haith better. He said CMA was a good coach and very cool, but said he didn't allow him the freedom offensively that Haith allowed. He did say he was a Fr. when CMA was the coach there and that might've played a part in the situation. That comment made me think why is CMA so timid to play FR. in certain games (mainly conference or competitive games). I really think Bailey and Jones could really help this team even if given only 4-6 min. a game. Other than Portis I havent seen many Fr. here play major min. What is your take on this?

Pressey??
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

latrops

Yeah, CMA has a reputation for being reluctant to play freshmen.  If a freshman is really good (Portis, Young), or if the depth chart requires it (Mickelson, Beard), a freshman can get solid minutes. 

hawgfan4life

I think Pressey probably needed structure as a FR more than as a SO.  I also think MA built MO into an elite team that was a contender when Haith took over.  How did Haith make it better and leave it to the next coach?

A lot of players loved HDN and hated Holtz.  A lot hated Bobby Knight, but he was a good coach.

The_Iceman

We have 9 guys that are either Juniors or Seniors. Hard for a freshmen with limited experience to crack that rotation. CJ Jones will likely start next year, and Bailey and Hazen will get their chance to challenge for minutes, especially if Cook and Thomas continue to underperform this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 08, 2017, 09:51:32 am
We have 9 guys that are either Juniors or Seniors. Hard for a freshmen with limited experience to crack that rotation. CJ Jones will likely start next year, and Bailey and Hazen will get their chance to challenge for minutes, especially if Cook and Thomas continue to underperform this season.

Of Beard, Barford and Macon, which one comes off of the bench?

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 08, 2017, 09:42:25 am
I think Pressey probably needed structure as a FR more than as a SO.  I also think MA built MO into an elite team that was a contender when Haith took over.  How did Haith make it better and leave it to the next coach?j

A lot of players loved HDN and hated Holtz.  A lot hated Bobby Knight, but he was a good coach.

Im not saying Haith is better than CMA or that players dont like him. Pressey said he was a cool coach. I was asking if anyone thinks he brings his Fr. along too slowly at times? I asked because I felt when Barford and Macon were on the bench for foul trouble and Dusty was having an off night we could've used some offense from Jones. I felt Thomas didn't play well so Bailey could've used a few more minutes as well.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:16:41 am

I want to say Beard but only if C.J. Jones is starting at the 3.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 11:22:55 am
Im not saying Haith is better than CMA or that players dont like him. Pressey said he was a cool coach. I was asking if anyone thinks he brings his Fr. along too slowly at times? I asked because I felt when Barford and Macon were on the bench for foul trouble and Dusty was having an off night we could've used some offense from Jones. I felt Thomas didn't play well so Bailey could've used a few more minutes as well.

If CJ could have helped us win, he would have been in there in my opinion. Dusty was a bit off but as we know, it could have clicked for him at any moment. Just so happened that it didn't.

hogwood

CJ will not start next year. Soonest I can see him starting is his JR year. Next year Beard, Barford, Macon, and IMO Garland will be ahead of him.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on January 08, 2017, 11:43:19 am
CJ will not start next year. Soonest I can see him starting is his JR year. Next year Beard, Barford, Macon, and IMO Garland will be ahead of him.

The only way CJ starts is if CMA wants to bring a point guard off of the bench whether its Beard or Barford because the second unit wouldn't have an experienced primary ballhandler.

BoarnSupremacy

I may be wrong but its my impression that MA will play frosh through seniors If he thinks they can help.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:31:06 am
If CJ could have helped us win, he would have been in there in my opinion. Dusty was a bit off but as we know, it could have clicked for him at any moment. Just so happened that it didn't.

Dusty has been off from 3 the last 3 games

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 12:19:22 pm
Dusty has been off from 3 the last 3 games

The team was off as a whole in the 'Florida and KY games. Dusty's performance was just one small piece of the misshapen puzzle. Lots of places to lay blame there. I say stick with your guy and see if he can reignite.

We know Dusty has it in him. He's a senior and the coaches see him in practice maybe we will see their faith rewarded as the season unfolds.

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, this theory is going to be destroyed over the next two years as we ride our freshman to glory.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yep and nothing wrong with this.  Look at Moses progression from Fr So to Jr/Sr.  Ky Madden is another where it just took a little time.  Biggest problem is probably getting the kids to buy in and be patient.  I could see them getting minutes in some upcoming conference games.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 11:22:55 am

You ask your question by offering information that biases the answer by implying MA doesn't play freshman, etc. I implied MA knows how to build a winner better than Haith and how freshman are managed should be left to the coach. I'm not saying MA should not play Freshman.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 08, 2017, 01:25:59 pm
You ask your question by offering information that biases the answer by implying MA doesn't play freshman, etc. I implied MA knows how to build a winner better than Haith and how freshman are managed should be left to the coach. I'm not saying MA should not play Freshman.

This wasnt a comparison of CMA and Haith because Pressey wasnt a FR. under Haith. I asked that question because it seems CMA is hesitant when playing freshman. I just asked one of his former players and wanted ppl opinion thats all. Calm down Im not bashing CMA im a supporter. Just wondering.

hawgfan4life

Not upset.  I didn't accuse you of anything.  Simply posting to your post.  It seems you want me to agree with you that MA doesn't play FR or "doesn't seem to play Freshman." 

You loaded your question with a biased piece of information that was not essential to the question.  You ask a question whether people AGREE with your opinion that about how things SEEM to you.  You then say you are only asking an innocent question.  Try going to a Ku Klux Clan rally and asking if they think MLK might have been right because it seems like he had some good ideas.  Then tell them to calm down, it's just an innocent question.

I'm calm and not mad at all.  Simply amazed at your question and lack of understanding it was a biased question.

King Kong

MA plays Freshman the same rate as any other coach. Elite prospects Young and Portis got big mins for our system 25 to 28 mins

Productive players Beard and Whitt around 18 mins per.

Others get what they earn. Like Qualls that earned bigger mins late his FR year after both playing early in conference play

bigred223

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:31:06 am

We need athletes that can make open shots. Yes he would make some freshman mistakes, but he has the physical tools that frankly our other guards lack. I hope we see more of him going forward.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:16:41 am

It doesn't matter so much who starts for Mike, but who gets the most minutes and finishes the games. Those 3 will be finishing games next year at the Guard spots.

With Garland and Hall coming off the bench, I suspect Mike will won't one of the senior PGs, either Barford or Beard, to come off the bench in that 2nd unit to provide leadership.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on January 08, 2017, 11:43:19 am
Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:47:18 am
The only way CJ starts is if CMA wants to bring a point guard off of the bench whether its Beard or Barford because the second unit wouldn't have an experienced primary ballhandler.

I don't think Mike will want a 2nd unit of Garland, CJ Jones, and Darious Hall. If we ran 6-7 man rotations, no CJ would not start.

HardingHog

Moral of the story: If you're good enough, you'll play. The better you are, the longer the leash

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 08, 2017, 02:45:04 pm
Not upset.  I didn't accuse you of anything.  Simply posting to your post.  It seems you want me to agree with you that MA doesn't play FR or "doesn't seem to play Freshman." 

You loaded your question with a biased piece of information that was not essential to the question.  You ask a question whether people AGREE with your opinion that about how things SEEM to you.  You then say you are only asking an innocent question.  Try going to a Ku Klux Clan rally and asking if they think MLK might have been right because it seems like he had some good ideas.  Then tell them to calm down, it's just an innocent question.

I'm calm and not mad at all.  Simply amazed at your question and lack of understanding it was a biased question.

Im confused  at how my question was biased. Especially, when I pointed out the fact that he played Portis big min. as a freshman. I aked simply what is your take on CMA playing fr. I gave my opinion and asked for yours. What does the KKK and MLK have to do with any of that. IDK how that relates to the question or where I asked if you agree. I asked whats your take on this. Not agree or disagree. From one hog to another its all love though. WPS

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 12:24:19 pm
The team was off as a whole in the 'Florida and KY games. Dusty's performance was just one small piece of the misshapen puzzle. Lots of places to lay blame there. I say stick with your guy and see if he can reignite.

We know Dusty has it in him. He's a senior and the coaches see him in practice maybe we will see their faith rewarded as the season unfolds.

Not blaming Dusty just pointing out that his value is shooting the basketball and he hasn't been doing that effectively.

poloprince

He was a freshman and he wasn't good enough to be given control of the team. The end.
$PoLoPrInCe$

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 04:56:15 pm
Im confused  at how my question was biased. Especially, when I pointed out the fact that he played Portis big min. as a freshman. I aked simply what is your take on CMA playing fr. I gave my opinion and asked for yours. What does the KKK and MLK have to do with any of that. IDK how that relates to the question or where I asked if you agree. I asked whats your take on this. Not agree or disagree. From one hog to another its all love though. WPS

I agree.  You are confused.  Can't make it any more plain for you to read, but I will leave one last attempt.

1.  You ask if others agree with you that MA doesn't seem to play FR as much.  Fair question and nothing wrong with the question.  Would be a great question to debate and discuss.

2.  Along with your question, you offer a tidbit of information about a former player for both MA and Haith.  In that information, you describe the player's experience of having limited play as a FR.  In court, that would be leading the witness or tainting the jury with information that causes bias in their opinion.

KKK and MLK was an analogy or metaphor (never can seem to get those straight) to help you see the error from a similar type, but hyperbolic example.

Again, not mad and not trying to call you out or anything.  Just amazed at the confusion because it is things like that which is chum to the sharks on the board. 

Rawker

This conversation has definitely run its course, but I'll ad one last tidbit.  I will qualify this by saying I'm known to friends as being a Mike Anderson apologist.  Not only that, but, while still keeping an eye on the Hogs, I watched almost every single Mizzou game with him as coach (online or TV) and every UAB game that I could get (pre-WatchESPN/ESPN360).  When Pressey came along, it wasn't but a few games into his career that they were playing a big game against a solid Illinois team and they were down.  Pressey came in and immediately changed the game, taking them from down around 15 to up 2 or 3 in the first half with clutch 3 pointers, a few nice dimes, and clear leadership.  The second hand starts, and every one...commentators, analysts, fans, probably ILL, me, and I'm sure Pressey himself....can't wait to see more Pressey.  I don't think he played another minute.  The game was a tussle and Mizz ended up winning by a few, but after seeing that and a few other games before with similar situations, I knew for sure right then that a FR just has to be an absolute world-beater - or Mike simply has to have no other answers at that position - to play.  I know tons of people have tons of issues with CMA, but this is my one real beef with the guy.  For instance, Bailey was seen on the court when Arkansas was making a real run at KY.  It was mostly Barford's toughness during that stretch that helped, but if it's shown that Bailey is part of something good, why not play him at least ONE minute during the second half?  Or if Pressey's flurry pretty much got you back to square one in the first half, why not put him in the second to possibly put the whole game away.  Two possible reasons:  1) Totally Ripley's  2) Mike has a natural disdain for FR, and perhaps pushes them to prove themselves in practice, because that's where their best chance of exposure lies.  As a guy that enjoys having Mike as the Hogs' coach and someone who knows most of his stats....I have no idea what's up with that.     

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Rawker on January 09, 2017, 08:41:38 pm
This conversation has definitely run its course, but I'll ad one last tidbit.  I will qualify this by saying I'm known to friends as being a Mike Anderson apologist.  Not only that, but, while still keeping an eye on the Hogs, I watched almost every single Mizzou game with him as coach (online or TV) and every UAB game that I could get (pre-WatchESPN/ESPN360).  When Pressey came along, it wasn't but a few games into his career that they were playing a big game against a solid Illinois team and they were down.  Pressey came in and immediately changed the game, taking them from down around 15 to up 2 or 3 in the first half with clutch 3 pointers, a few nice dimes, and clear leadership.  The second hand starts, and every one...commentators, analysts, fans, probably ILL, me, and I'm sure Pressey himself....can't wait to see more Pressey.  I don't think he played another minute.  The game was a tussle and Mizz ended up winning by a few, but after seeing that and a few other games before with similar situations, I knew for sure right then that a FR just has to be an absolute world-beater - or Mike simply has to have no other answers at that position - to play.  I know tons of people have tons of issues with CMA, but this is my one real beef with the guy.  For instance, Bailey was seen on the court when Arkansas was making a real run at KY.  It was mostly Barford's toughness during that stretch that helped, but if it's shown that Bailey is part of something good, why not play him at least ONE minute during the second half?  Or if Pressey's flurry pretty much got you back to square one in the first half, why not put him in the second to possibly put the whole game away.  Two possible reasons:  1) Totally Ripley's  2) Mike has a natural disdain for FR, and perhaps pushes them to prove themselves in practice, because that's where their best chance of exposure lies.  As a guy that enjoys having Mike as the Hogs' coach and someone who knows most of his stats....I have no idea what's up with that.     

I didnt get a chance to see Pressey to later in his Mizzou career so i didn't know how good he was as a freshaman. I just brought it up because like you I felt with Thomas playing badly we couldve used a little more from Bailey and when the offense was in a slump we couldve used Jones when Barford and Macon was on the bench. It also took Beard until the later part of his Fr. season to start getting some PT. I dont know the answers and I dont have a issue with CMA just thought we couldve used a little help.

mizzouman

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 08:30:10 am
I met Phil Pressey former Missouri PG and NBA PG at my last orthopedic job in Dallas. I asked him how was CMA as a coach and if he liked CMA or Haith better. He said CMA was a good coach and very cool, but said he didn't allow him the freedom offensively that Haith allowed. He did say he was a Fr. when CMA was the coach there and that might've played a part in the situation. That comment made me think is CMA  timid to play FR. in certain games (mainly conference or competitive games). I really think Bailey and Jones could really help this team even if given only 4-6 min. a game. Other than Portis I havent seen many Fr. here play major min. What is your take on this?
CMA did not allow Pressey to play through his mistakes as a freshman.  Pressey couldn't shoot very well as a freshman but could do just about everything else extremely well.  CMA put some handcuffs on the kid, but to CMA's defense, Pressey was putting up a lot of bricks. 

skinnypig

Beard played in 35 games and averaged 19 minutes a game as a freshman
Young played in 32 games at 25 min per
bell  29 games at  9 min
Qualls 31 games  at 15.5in
Williams 30 games at 9 min
Madden  32 games at 20 min
mickelson 32 Games at 17 min
abron  32 games at 16 min
Kingsley 32 games at 11.5 min
Portis 34 games at 27 min
Babb 26 games at 5 min  (transferred)
Whitt 32 games at 17 min (transferred)

I would say if Mike will play freshman. What we do not see is how hard these kids work in practice and in the classroom. And that has more  to do with whether you play for CMA or not.  just like it did with Nolan

skinnypig

Quote from: skinnypig on January 10, 2017, 02:12:28 pm
Beard played in 35 games and averaged 19 minutes a game as a freshman
Young played in 32 games at 25 min per
bell  29 games at  9 min
Qualls 31 games  at 15.5in
Williams 30 games at 9 min
Madden  32 games at 20 min
mickelson 32 Games at 17 min
abron  32 games at 16 min
Kingsley 32 games at 11.5 min
Portis 34 games at 27 min
Babb 26 games at 5 min  (transferred)
Whitt 32 games at 17 min (transferred)

I would say if Mike will play freshman. What we do not see is how hard these kids work in practice and in the classroom. And that has more  to do with whether you play for CMA or not.  just like it did with Nolan

so far this year

Bailey 12 games at 7 min
Jones 10 games at 10 min (was injured early)
Hazen 9 games at 4 min

poloprince

Quote from: skinnypig on January 10, 2017, 02:12:28 pm

$PoLoPrInCe$

swinesation

Yes, think CMA is too hesitant to play freshman and allow them to learn while playing in games. I am convinced that Bailey should be playing Cook's minutes. Cook brings very little to the team. Bailey's ceiling is obviously higher. I was encouraged when Bailey went into the Kentucky game in the first half, but he only ended up playing 4 minutes. Many coaches would let the player with a higher ceiling get in there and take his bumps and learn on the job, especially when the player in front of him is already a weakness on the team, but CMA seems determined to only give substantial roles to freshmen who are clearly as polished or more polished than the guys in front of them. I will be really bummed if Bailey leaves after this season. Does he look at the current situation and figure he's unlikely to get more playing time next year considering there are two juniors playing in front of him? I hope not.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: swinesation on January 10, 2017, 03:17:47 pm
Yes, think CMA is too hesitant to play freshman and allow them to learn while playing in games. I am convinced that Bailey should be playing Cook's minutes. Cook brings very little to the team. Bailey's ceiling is obviously higher. I was encouraged when Bailey went into the Kentucky game in the first half, but he only ended up playing 4 minutes. Many coaches would let the player with a higher ceiling get in there and take his bumps and learn on the job, especially when the player in front of him is already a weakness on the team, but CMA seems determined to only give substantial roles to freshmen who are clearly as polished or more polished than the guys in front of them. I will be really bummed if Bailey leaves after this season. Does he look at the current situation and figure he's unlikely to get more playing time next year considering there are two juniors playing in front of him? I hope not.
I actually prefer Cook over Thomas. He is very scrappy, plays good defense, and can hit the mid range jumper. I think Bailey is going to stick at Arkansas. Arkansas was one of few major schools to offer. I think if we can hang on to our group of FR. this year this team will get better and better over time.