Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proude of the Hogs effort tonight

Started by forrest city joe, January 07, 2017, 09:50:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

One positive they shut down that jackass wannabe Monk take your freaken 12 points and go cry to your brother...Maybe he can work a deal with the official scorer to get you another 10. I agree with earlier post Fox is the best player on that team. Monk is no better than Murray was last year.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 07, 2017, 11:27:45 pm
Fair enough. What do you say we try to maintain pace with Baylor (they probably cheat - which I don't want us to do), Gonzaga, Butler, Florida, Vanderbilt (don't laugh), West Virginia, any ACC or Big East team, half the Big 12, Big 10 or PAC 12...

Vanderbilt? I think you need to check some results for the last 5 seasons. We would have to backward.to equal their performance. They have only won 20 games twice in the last 5 seasons and somehow made the tournament with only 3 more wins than we had last season.

hawgXi

Quote from: WorfHog on January 07, 2017, 09:56:16 pm
Good game until the refs coluded with Cal at the half.  :puke: Monk's gonna be an NBA flop by the way.

CorRupt arena: "home of the mystery call"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 07, 2017, 11:22:27 pm
a 26 point loss here is like the Auburn football loss . there is no reason for it to get that bad . we have some talented kids and more experienced players . kingsley was an all Sec player last year .the JUCO kids were highly ranked .

Auburn is a middle of the pack SEC team. Kentucky is more like Alabama of football.

roothawg

i agred the hogs will go dancing. the pieces are there and are coming together, we missed alot of shots and free throws we normaly make.  time to get on a role and win alot of games.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 08, 2017, 02:38:54 am

Your wrong we just played one of the 4 best teams in the country. Got pounded just like they pounded every sec team they've played already we have a road win at Tenn. Noone really thought we were going to win this one. I was hoping after the florida loss that we wouldn't be 0-3 so now we get to the manageable part of the sex schedule. For the record there 3 maybe 4 teams in the country that can play with this Kentucky team. ENOUGH Said sPIN it.
So are you saying it was our turn to get screwed last night?  Sure looked like it.

Pigasaurus

Sounds like future instate kids are coming our way.  If we had Monk and the Fla player, how much closer to KY are we last nite? 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hoggish1

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 07, 2017, 10:49:06 pm

I don't understand why Kentucky can play physically but we can't.

You answered you own question.  You are a genius.

MountieDawg

January 08, 2017, 09:22:45 am #58 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:40:25 am by MountieDawg
Quote from: forrest city joe on January 07, 2017, 09:50:07 pm
Just to much  talent to overcome.plus the refs took us out of this game.our team was playing against 3 NBA lottery picks tonight. and we were in this game for a long time tonight. the better team won this game. but i loved the talent i saw that we had tonight.Dusty will not shoot this bad most nights.and the refs getting Barfort and Macon in foul trouble did not help.Hogs are going dancing folks.

I think the Hogs are much better this year, but what would you call the signature win this year? Not really any bad losses but not a signature win yet.
SEC!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: jaredkr on January 08, 2017, 01:54:33 am
Exactly my thoughts. You know your program has hit bottom when you're proud of a 30 point beatdown

Program has hit rock bottom with a record of 12-3.  We must have crazy high expectations.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 08, 2017, 09:36:54 am
Program has hit rock bottom with a record of 12-3.  We must have crazy high expectations.

No doubt.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HogBreath

we wouldn't be 0-3 so now we get to the manageable part of the sex schedule.

Yeah, if we were 0-3 goin to that manageable part we would have been screwed good!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ArkansasI

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 08, 2017, 01:35:40 am
Bret cares about his players - in a comprehensive way. This thing isn't where we want it but it is moving towards sustained improvement. Fixing culture takes time. Let's fight with this team.

Those were your comments after one program lost to the worse team in the SEC. I'm sure you can extend the same Grace to a coach that lost to one of the best teams in the country.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that you may see inconsistency.

I believe it takes just a few players in key positions to prevent a football team from being competitive. And those few can have a huge negative impact in a 60 minute football game, especially after discovered by the opponent. 

Conversely, I believe one or two really good basketball players can lift a program. Butler, Gonzaga, Larry Bird's Indiana State team!

I like Mike's team, but I think it is as good as it will get - marginal tournament worthy. The low hanging fruit within Arkansas that know him well has failed to play for him. His best recruits from outside the state don't stay.

These are clear distinctions to me. I believe/hope that Bret is close to building something exciting in the country's most competitive conference. I believe Mike has plateaued in the second tier of a far lesser basketball conference.

ArkansasI

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 08, 2017, 04:16:24 am
Vanderbilt? I think you need to check some results for the last 5 seasons. We would have to backward.to equal their performance. They have only won 20 games twice in the last 5 seasons and somehow made the tournament with only 3 more wins than we had last season.
I think they will move forward quickly under their new coach.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 08, 2017, 09:22:45 am
I think the Hogs are much better this year, but what would you call the signature win this year? Not really any bad losses but not a signature win yet.
exactly we have no real good eye popping wins! No way we get in unless we win at least 12 conf

donbro

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 07, 2017, 11:35:02 pm
Kentucky came out lackadaisical. Their coach got after'em and they pulled away with ease, illustrating the gulf that separates MA's program from the elite in his sixth year.
This is bs Barford was abusing the Kentucky backcourt he was a man among boys. Those 2 fouls in the second half took away his aggression. I usually don't complain about officiating however this crew kept taking away the momentum. This team will be a tough out in the tournament.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 07, 2017, 11:27:45 pm
Fair enough. What do you say we try to maintain pace with Baylor (they probably cheat - which I don't want us to do), Gonzaga, Butler, Florida, Vanderbilt (don't laugh), West Virginia, any ACC or Big East team, half the Big 12, Big 10 or PAC 12...

This. It's year six. All the money. All the resources all the hype since MA was hired with NOTHING to show for it. Is it too much to ask as a fan for what Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Wichita State, Butler and West Virginia have. All Final Four teams since 2007. And I'm not even trying to compare the Hogs to Duke, Kansas or even Villanova. Can we be at least as a good of a program as Butler and Wichita State?

Ma will be here until 2020 and still will never get past the second round of the NCAA's.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 07, 2017, 11:06:32 pm
We played toe-to-toe with them while the only player of the five they had on the court that showed up was Fox.  We played toe-to-toe with them, with one of the best first half performances we could have hoped for, while UK was sleep-walking through the half.

Everyone in the nation saw what happened when we tried to go toe-to-toe with them in the second half, and they finally decided to quit toying around with us.  Not to say that I didn't expect to get crushed, but it's awfully funny seeing how may people are trying to take solace in tiny aspects of a 26 point beat-down like we all just witnessed.

Well, that's your spin and you are entitled to it but it isn't any more valid than other takeaways from the outcome. You seem to want people to wallow in this loss and feel demoralized. That's fine and dandy for you but this team has plenty left to play for and that's what the focus should be which is taking some positives from this loss and moving forward.

jackflash

Kentucky was the better team tonight.  loaded with talent

BoarnSupremacy

I laugh whenever I hear Calipari is a top coach that actually has to coach.  The Kentucky talent wins 90% of their games.  The refs hurt us in 2nd half but we would have lost anyway IMO.  On a neutral court the margin would have been less than 12.

razorbackfan4life

I think the refs had too much of an impact on the game.  It sucks we lost by 26 but we played toe to toe with them for a long time.  Just have to move on and correct the mistakes. 

lumphog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 07, 2017, 10:17:55 pm
we were cheated

the refs cheated
FACT JACK.....the timing & point swings made a helluvadifference

latrops

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 07, 2017, 11:20:32 pm
26 point blowout. spin it.

In their gym, against the 6th ranked team (potential 1 seed in the NCAAT), it was competitive for 30ish minutes.  No one is happy with the end result, but most appreciate the effort and saw a game that could have been competitive until the end on a neutral court with neutral officiating.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 08, 2017, 11:30:18 am
This. It's year six. All the money. All the resources all the hype since MA was hired with NOTHING to show for it. Is it too much to ask as a fan for what Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Wichita State, Butler and West Virginia have. All Final Four teams since 2007. And I'm not even trying to compare the Hogs to Duke, Kansas or even Villanova. Can we be at least as a good of a program as Butler and Wichita State?

Ma will be here until 2020 and still will never get past the second round of the NCAA's.

It takes time. Go back and see that it took time and a great player to take those coaches to the final four. You have to have a NBA player on your roster to go far in the tournament. I'm talking about a first round draft pick.
Oklahoma  - Buddy Heild
Butler- Gordon Haywood
Wisconsin - Frank Kamisky and a guard whose name escapes me
Wichita state  - C. Early.

You can be the greatest coach but you have to have a elite talent on the floor. We don't have that right now but if we where able to get Monk Arkansas would've had a chance.

BigHog396

January 08, 2017, 03:33:53 pm #74 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:00:26 pm by BigHog396
Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 08, 2017, 11:35:49 am
Well, that's your spin and you are entitled to it but it isn't any more valid than other takeaways from the outcome. You seem to want people to wallow in this loss and feel demoralized. That's fine and dandy for you but this team has plenty left to play for and that's what the focus should be which is taking some positives from this loss and moving forward.
No spin at all.  Simple observation and analysis of the garbage we just saw.

Dusty couldn't get open to save his life.  We still don't know how to set a simple screen to get our best shooter open.  Dusty, Macon, and Beard were throwing up junk prayers most of the game.

Can you honestly say you saw UK trying to play their game in the first half?  Yeah, we did a good job of harassing Monk, and had him off of his game, which I absolutely loved... but that was the extent of toe-to-toe with them.

When UK settled down, and started playing their normal game in the second half, they simply man-handled us.  They basically 40-minutes of Hell'd us in 20 minutes.  They turned up the pressure, and we folded.  They started driving on the offensive end, and we couldn't come close to slowing them down.  They had something North of 20 points on fast-breaks.

Funny, Cal does all of the things that Mike talked about doing when he got here... too bad Mike can't seem to get it done.  But go ahead and spin it however you want.

BigHog396

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 08, 2017, 03:19:05 pm
It takes time. Go back and see that it took time and a great player to take those coaches to the final four. You have to have a NBA player on your roster to go far in the tournament. I'm talking about a first round draft pick.
Oklahoma  - Buddy Heild
Butler- Gordon Haywood
Wisconsin - Frank Kamisky and a guard whose name escapes me
Wichita state  - C. Early.

You can be the greatest coach but you have to have a elite talent on the floor. We don't have that right now but if we where able to get Monk Arkansas would've had a chance.
Year 6... how much time should a coach get?

Jonteviosk

Quote from: HogBreath on January 08, 2017, 10:11:45 am
Yeah, if we were 0-3 goin to that manageable part we would have been screwed good!!

You wouldn't agree that 1-2 is much preferable to 0-3?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 08, 2017, 03:44:27 pm
Year 6... how much time should a coach get?

Keep Watching you saw a glimpse of what is coming for this program. We're one elite player away. Getting better Every time they play.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 08, 2017, 03:19:05 pm
I don't understand.  Kentucky and Florida are taking our NBA resources from us, and there are no signs that Mike has developed the reputation necessary to draw them in, much less keep them, from out-of-state. Yet, you see hope.

I don't think Mike's teams will ever embarrass us, but I doubt very much that we'll ever have too much to cheer about, either. Perhaps an elite eight appearance once every 15 years or so.

BigHog396

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 08, 2017, 04:03:35 pm
Keep Watching you saw a glimpse of what is coming for this program. We're one elite player away. Getting better Every time they play.
Been watching for SIX years now.  We caught a glimpse in year 4, but Mike hadn't done an adequate job of building the program so we sucked in year 5.

Sorry... one elite player does not overcome what UK did to us in the second half.  Keep drinking the kool-aid.  It doesn't take a good coach 7, 8, 9 years to build a program.  That's basically what you are saying it's going to take Mike, if he ever gets us close to being there.

All of you guys pumping Mike up keep talking about the 2018 class.  They likely won't do anything elite as Freshmen, so now we are talking about the 2020 season.  No coach should be given 9 years to build a basketball program.  I can't believe there are any fans on here that would have been ok with bringing Mike here, if they were told up front that he MIGHT get us somewhere past the first weekend of the NCAAT once or twice in his first 9 seasons.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 08, 2017, 04:19:55 pm
Been watching for SIX years now.  We caught a glimpse in year 4, but Mike hadn't done an adequate job of building the program so we sucked in year 5.

Sorry... one elite player does not overcome what UK did to us in the second half.  Keep drinking the kool-aid.  It doesn't take a good coach 7, 8, 9 years to build a program.  That's basically what you are saying it's going to take Mike, if he ever gets us close to being there.

All of you guys pumping Mike up keep talking about the 2018 class.  They likely won't do anything elite as Freshmen, so now we are talking about the 2020 season.  No coach should be given 9 years to build a basketball program.  I can't believe there are any fans on here that would have been ok with bringing Mike here, if they were told up front that he MIGHT get us somewhere past the first weekend of the NCAAT once or twice in his first 9 seasons.

I wonder if this freaking genius with a lot of games still to play this season not 2018 this season realizes what a 12-3 record looks like. We lost to Kentucky get over it now get rdy for Miss St at home.

BigHog396

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 08, 2017, 06:21:14 pm
I wonder if this freaking genius with a lot of games still to play this season not 2018 this season realizes what a 12-3 record looks like. We lost to Kentucky get over it now get rdy for Miss St at home.
No hot shot... we got demolished by Kentucky.  Just shows how far we are from where we should be in year 6 of a coached tenure.  Sorry that you can't grasp how bad that is.

A 12-3 record is good, as long as we don't fall apart in conference, and blow our shot at a NCAAT bid.  As I've said all along... If Mike manages to make the dance this year, I'm fine with keeping things the way they are, but you definitely don't keep a coach because of what MIGHT happen three years down the road.  If that's too difficult for you to understand, then I can't help you.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 07, 2017, 11:22:27 pm
a 26 point loss here is like the Auburn football loss . there is no reason for it to get that bad . we have some talented kids and more experienced players . kingsley was an all Sec player last year .the JUCO kids were highly ranked .
You realize UK has beat each of its opponents by 20+ points? Im surprised we kept it as close as we did for as long as we did. The team I saw in the 1st half played with a fire and intensity that I haven't seen in quite some time. There is definitely potential!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Drop the Mike

3kgthog

How many teams have made the NCAAT when their first three losses were by a total of 49 points? I'll hang up and listen.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 09, 2017, 08:11:19 am
How many teams have made the NCAAT when their first three losses were by a total of 49 points? I'll hang up and listen.

We can keep an eye on North Carolina State, which lost its first three games this season by a total of 50 points (each game by double figures), then lost yesterday at UNC by 51.  State is 12-4, 1-2 in the ACC, and 27th in this morning's RPI, right behind Arkansas.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 09, 2017, 08:03:17 am
You realize UK has beat each of its opponents by 20+ points? Im surprised we kept it as close as we did for as long as we did. The team I saw in the 1st half played with a fire and intensity that I haven't seen in quite some time. There is definitely potential!
Kentucky has lost 2 games.  And the fact that you're surprised that we kept it as close as we did for as long as we did is not the best way to endorse what Mike is doing with the program.  What do you expect the Hogs to do - not even try to win?

I'm not so upset that we lost to Kentucky as I am that we were not really competitive.  Some have indicated that the Hogs hung tough for 30 minutes... I'd say closer to 10.  We had a furious run at the end of the first half to cut the lead to 3.  The Hogs were never in it during the second half.  It's hard for me to celebrate this.

Kentucky was faster, more physical and more disciplined on both sides of the floor.  We are a marginal NCAA tournament team.  Our best quality win is over an average Houston team, though I'm elated about the win at Tennessee.

If the Hogs win two-thirds of our remaining games, our best hope is as an 8-12 seed in the NCAA.  We'll be lucky to see the second round games.

With the exceptions of Moses (Nigeria, via Bobby Portis) and Brachen Hazen (Indiana, with an offer from Xavier I think?), our roster reflects that we are a regional program.  This doesn't bother me, except Mike doesn't seem to have strong recruiting ties in Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas or Houston.

It is hard to understand how Mike has coached at Arkansas for 23 years - through unprecedented success including a national title - and does not have the ability to keep the best Arkansas talent, nor developed strong enough ties to Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas and Houston to be in the conversation with elite players from those areas.

Great Razorback teams have depended on these areas to sustain success. When was the last time a great player from Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas or Houston seriously considered the Hogs?  I don't believe it has happened since Mike has been our head coach.

With Mike as our coach, the Hogs will be good when the best Arkansas recruits stay home, and Mike finds a player in Alabama or through the junior college ranks that can contribute.  Even then, I expect us to be behind Kentucky, Florida and other SEC teams at high tide.

FineAsSwine

In 1994, Missouri got blown out by 52 by some team or other and they somehow not only made the tournament but also made the elite 8 that year.

Not sure about the margin in their other two losses in the first 3 games though but hopefully this answers your question without me having to actually look anything up.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 09, 2017, 10:45:28 am
In 1994, Missouri got blown out by 52 by some team or other and they somehow not only made the tournament but also made the elite 8 that year.

Heh heh.  Well done.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 09, 2017, 07:27:29 am
No hot shot... we got demolished by Kentucky.  Just shows how far we are from where we should be in year 6 of a coached tenure.  Sorry that you can't grasp how bad that is.

A 12-3 record is good, as long as we don't fall apart in conference, and blow our shot at a NCAAT bid.  As I've said all along... If Mike manages to make the dance this year, I'm fine with keeping things the way they are, but you definitely don't keep a coach because of what MIGHT happen three years down the road.  If that's too difficult for you to understand, then I can't help you.

No your just one of the few winging about losing to Kentucky when their steamrolling everyone and were 12-3 with most of our conf schedule ahead of us and I'm not hitting the panic button like you. I'm sure your wife or gf loves to hear you whine.

FineAsSwine

Aren't you going to call back?

Hawg Red

I'm sure there've been quite a few since that is only an average of 16 points. I'm sure sure that "their first three losses" matters much, does it? So many teams have made the tournament as even AQs that had multiple double-digit defeats. In fact, the 2014-2015 Arkansas Razorbacks had 4 losses before the NCAA tournament totaling 64 points (an average of 16). 16 points isn't what most would consider a blowout defeat. I guess it just looks bad to total margin of defeat for the 3 games as if that even matters. We lost one of those 3 by single digits.

HawgTrough

Your wrong we just played one of the 4 best teams in the country. Got pounded just like they pounded every sec team they've played already we have a road win at Tenn. Noone really thought we were going to win this one. I was hoping after the florida loss that we wouldn't be 0-3 so now we get to the manageable part of the sex schedule. For the record there 3 maybe 4 teams in the country that can play with this Kentucky team. ENOUGH Said sPIN it.

having a sex schedule has it's ups and downs. Better to just let it happen
WPS

BigHog396

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 09, 2017, 11:28:21 am
No your just one of the few winging about losing to Kentucky when their steamrolling everyone and were 12-3 with most of our conf schedule ahead of us and I'm not hitting the panic button like you. I'm sure your wife or gf loves to hear you whine.
No, you need to freaking read.  If you had any reading comprehension, and bothered to read what I have said in this thread, you would have seen that I specifically said I was expecting to get beaten like that... BECAUSE it WAS Kentucky we were playing.

Also, would love to see where I said anything remotely close to saying anything about a panic button?  I even said that 12-3 was good, as long as we don't fall apart, specifically in the post you were responding to.  Again, try reading, because it would really help you keep up in a conversation.

You see, if you had bothered to read at all, you would have seen that I was pointing out how hilarious it was to see people trying to act like you could really take anything legitimately positive out of this loss.  I knew we were going to get crushed, it happened, but people coming on here and acting like we were just so close need to step back and really pay attention to what happened in that game.

But go ahead, just keep rebutting things that I didn't say, if that makes you feel better about yourself.

hobhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 09, 2017, 10:45:28 am

Not sure about the margin in their other two losses in the first 3 games though but hopefully this answers your question without me having to actually look anything up.

Norm Stewart was a damn good floor coach....

hamsam

PROUDE of that effort tonight, Joe?!

Hell, you probably are...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

BigHog396

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 08, 2017, 06:21:14 pm
So how'd that Miss St at home thing work out... Reality starting to set in for ya yet?

Iwastherein1969

forget about any type of tournament this year....once again, we are on the outside looking in....and if by some miracle we get to the NIT, if anyone shows up for the first home game they should be arrested and hauled off to jail...this coach and team deserve no one in the gym to watch them...the product they put on the floor is putrid
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Quote from: hamsam on January 10, 2017, 10:10:07 pm
PROUDE of that effort tonight, Joe?!

Hell, you probably are...
If you are proud of a 26 point loss, a single digit loss at home is no big deal.

BigHog396

Quote from: Karma on January 10, 2017, 10:16:28 pm
If you are proud of a 26 point loss, a single digit loss at home is no big deal.
Touche