Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Donovan to OKC

Started by The_Iceman, April 02, 2015, 01:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

bighog2255

I believe you can find this exact article every spring. Hope it materializes this time

The_Bionic_Pig

If he's not going he's doing all the necessary preparations to look like he's bolting for here in Orlando.   His parents are right down the road in Ocala (moved from up North)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 02, 2015, 02:05:18 pm
If he's not going he's doing all the necessary preparations to look like he's bolting for here in Orlando.   His parents are right down the road in Ocala (moved from up North)

I know he had a rough year this year, and his team is losing Frazier, but he has a good group coming back and four 4-stars coming in, including Kevaughn Allen. He is likely to have a solid bounce back year in 2016.

Maybe he knows if the NBA fails for him, he will land on his feet nicely at a new NCAA location.

GatorHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 02, 2015, 02:05:18 pm

Ocala wouldn't have been my first choice..

The_Iceman

bighog2255

Quote from: Illinihog on April 02, 2015, 02:07:24 pm
Billy isn't leaving he signed an extension.

An Hour ago
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/florida-gators-billy-donovan-contract-extension-4-million-salary-through-2020-040215

The "extension" is a formality, as referenced in the article. His buyout remains at $500K, which isn't prohibitive to him taking an NBA job

Hawg Red

An Hour ago
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/florida-gators-billy-donovan-contract-extension-4-million-salary-through-2020-040215

Only a 500k buyout. Being reported that the extension is no obstacle to him leaving for the right NBA job.

Steve Alford signed an extension with New Mexico and turned around and took the UCLA job days later.

Illinihog

Mike's extension was a formality too, but for some on here it was gospel.

brenthog

Lets say he does go as NBA executives are saying he will on ESPN....how would that change Kevaughn Allens recruitment as it stands with Arkansas.

The_Iceman

Quote from: brenthog on April 02, 2015, 02:31:59 pm
Lets say he does go as NBA executives are saying he will on ESPN....how would that change Kevaughn Allens recruitment as it stands with Arkansas.

He would likely re-open it, since Florida likely won't be an option anymore. Then we can start recruiting him again as a team that just finished 2nd in the SEC, had the SEC player of the year, won 27 games, and was a 2nd round NCAA team. Instead of just a team that was an NIT team hoping to make the NCAAT

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 02:38:10 pm
He would likely re-open it, since Florida likely won't be an option anymore. Then we can start recruiting him again as a team that just finished 2nd in the SEC, had the SEC player of the year, won 27 games, and was a 2nd round NCAA team. Instead of just a team that was an NIT team hoping to make the NCAAT
The issue with Allen isn't that he does not want to come to Arkansas, it is that we have not been recruiting him. He said himself that he considered Arkansas when he decided not to sign with UF, but Mike backed off of him.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: jry04 on April 02, 2015, 04:11:23 pm
The issue with Allen isn't that he does not want to come to Arkansas, it is that we have not been recruiting him. He said himself that he considered Arkansas when he decided not to sign with UF, but Mike backed off of him.

That is not true at all, give us a break. Allen DID NOT want to come to Arkansas. Have you actually listened to him speak about this?

We weren't recruiting him bc he was committed. It's common in cbb for coaches to not recruit a committed player.

He didn't sign with UF but he was still committed. He wasn't opening up his recruitment.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on April 02, 2015, 04:30:46 pm
We weren't recruiting him bc he was committed. It's common in cbb for coaches to not recruit a committed player.

I would have no beef if MA went the Bielema route and decided to be "uncommon."  Though I feel if MA and company did decide to back off him, it was because they didn't think they were going to be able to change his mind.

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Danny J

Danny J

PS....I am thinking that Cal is gone also regardless of winning it all. He mentioned in an interview a few years ago that UK is the type of job you take for 5+ years then move on. The UK fans in basketball as are bad as Bama football fans. They always want more and more. No way Cal could satisfy that hunger. He is gone.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Danny J on April 02, 2015, 06:28:30 pm
PS....I am thinking that Cal is gone also regardless of winning it all. He mentioned in an interview a few years ago that UK is the type of job you take for 5+ years then move on. The UK fans in basketball as are bad as Bama football fans. They always want more and more. No way Cal could satisfy that hunger. He is gone.

If he wins it all this year, what else is there to prove? Like you said the fans will only want more, even though there isn't much more to be had.

jgphillips3

If 40-0 stamped the seal on Calipari leaving, I would absolutely pull for Kentucky this weekend.

jbmoore15

Quote from: brenthog on April 02, 2015, 02:31:59 pm

KA would try to go to another school, but it won't be Arkansas.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Danny J on April 02, 2015, 06:28:30 pm

If Calipari leaves, then I could see Kentucky being interested in the following;

Billy Donovan (a last attempt by Kentucky to get Donovan provided he isn't leaving for the NBA)
Gregg Marshall (yes, he just agreed to a deal with WSU, but see what was mentioned earlier in this thread about Steve Alford)
Brad Stevens (Kentucky will have to see if he is already tired of the NBA)
Sean Miller

poloprince

Espn reporting he wants in the NBA more than ever before every year I believe.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Danny J

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 02, 2015, 06:41:37 pm
If 40-0 stamped the seal on Calipari leaving, I would absolutely pull for Kentucky this weekend.
That is why I have been pulling for them.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: jbmoore15 on April 02, 2015, 06:56:16 pm
KA would try to go to another school, but it won't be Arkansas.

He would be stupid to do so too with all of the talent we have coming in. He would have some real talent to play with.

Hoggish1

The extension means nothing at this point.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Sources: OKC to evaluate Scott Brooks' future as coach, mentions Billy D as "serious candidate" if Brooks is fired: http://tinyurl.com/ok2zg7n

Still think Billy D is staying, but if he gets a call from OKC if Brooks is fired, I'd be nervous.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Former Florida guard discusses Billy Donovan's potential as an NBA head coach on 'Dan Patrick Show' (VIDEO)

QuoteWashington Wizards and former Florida guard Bradley Beal joined Chris Mannix on the "Dan Patrick Show" Friday morning. Among the topics discussed was the possibility of Beal's college coach, Billy Donovan, making the move from the SEC to the NBA and Beal gave an interesting answer.

"I agree with the rumors; I think he'll definitely leave," Beal said. "He won't pass that opportunity up too many times, and I think he'll be a tremendous coach. He loves playing in pick & rolls, loves to space the floor and he gives his players freedom so I think he'll definitely [do] well in the league."

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Beal only played a year for Billy D, so take his comments w a grain of salt #Gators
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

770john111

To the thunder?kevaughn allen?

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

PorkRinds

Allen already signed with them.  I doubt he changes his mind no matter who the coach is at this point.

MikePiazza

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 02:06:14 pm
Allen already signed with them.  I doubt he changes his mind no matter who the coach is at this point.

He could get a release with a coaching change, but even if he does, I doubt it leads him back to the Hogs. He'd probably end up at Tennessee or Louisville or somewhere like that.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hawg Red

If he were to seek a release, it would be extremely doubtful that he lands at Arkansas.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Billy D leaving is a bigger deal for Arkansas than getting KA. He is a great coach.

However unlikely KA would solve a lot of our recruiting issues right now. I don't mind recruit for a 1% chance

HOGINTENNESSEE

jry04

I am not sure why people still cannot understand that Arkansas does not want Kevaughn. Kevaughn basically said so himself.

Inhogswetrust

April 22, 2015, 02:17:56 pm #37 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:32:27 pm by Inhogswetrust
It could get interesting since the Thunder have announced Scott Brooks has been fired. Billy Donovan's name has already been rumored.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2015, 02:17:24 pm
I am not sure why people still cannot understand that Arkansas does not want Kevaughn. Kevaughn basically said so himself.

Classic chicken and egg argument.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 22, 2015, 02:18:16 pm
Classic chicken and egg argument.
I am not saying Allen wants to come here, but regardless of what Allen wants, he said he was open to coming to Arkansas, but Mike lost interest in Allen.

Jim Harris

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2015, 02:17:24 pm

the question is, why? Because Durham and Watkins are so good?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2015, 02:25:55 pm
I am not saying Allen wants to come here, but regardless of what Allen wants, he said he was open to coming to Arkansas, but Mike lost interest in Allen.

I've heard it both ways.

I've heard that it was made clear to the coaches that Allen wouldn't be a Hog and I've heard that Mike never really made a strong attempt to land Allen. All we can take away from this is that KeVaughn Allen won't be a Hog. And it's a damn shame.

jry04

Quote from: Jim Harris on April 22, 2015, 02:27:55 pm
I have no idea what Mike's reasoning is. Rumors are there are some off-court issues, but I have no clue. Word is Beard and Allen did not get along too well while at NLR. That is all speculation, though.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 22, 2015, 02:34:13 pm
I've heard it both ways.

I've heard that it was made clear to the coaches that Allen wouldn't be a Hog and I've heard that Mike never really made a strong attempt to land Allen. All we can take away from this is that KeVaughn Allen won't be a Hog. And it's a damn shame.
True. I have no doubt that Allen told us "no" first. I am just going off what Allen said in articles after not signing. Basically saying when he didn't sign he was open to the possibility of staying home, but Anderson stopped all communication with him, and started recruiting him the least out of everyone.

770john111

Any chance that Might change with Babb and Qualls leaving?

WarPig88

I swear you KA people are ridiculous. Seriously.

When Nolan first coached here there was a kid named Jimmy Oliver in Morrilton who was way better than KA. Oliver would sign with Purdue and play for the Celtics in the NBA. I think he may have even had a 30 point game for the Celtics once.

However, Nolan paid him little attention and I thought he was insane for it. Then I met some of Oliver's friends from Morrilton one day and asked them why Nolan had not gone after him since he was so good. They said he would have never made it in Nolan's system. Think about it 6'5" G/F with NBA talent.

They said he wasn't a bad kid but didn't have what it took to thrive in that style. They said it was between his ears.

I trust both the kid and our coach to be able to see when that is the case, which is more than likely the situation here as well.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 22, 2015, 02:37:24 pm
I swear you KA people are ridiculous. Seriously.

When Nolan first coached here there was a kid named Jimmy Oliver in Morrilton who was way better than KA. Oliver would sign with Purdue and play for the Celtics in the NBA. I think he may have even had a 30 point game for the Celtics once.

However, Nolan paid him little attention and I thought he was insane for it. Then I met some of Oliver's friends from Morrilton one day and asked them why Nolan had not gone after him since he was so good. They said he would have never made it in Nolan's system. Think about it 6'5" G/F with NBA talent.

They said he wasn't a bad kid but didn't have what it took to thrive in that style. They said it was between his ears.

I trust both the kid and our coach to be able to see when that is the case, which is more than likely the situation here as well.

Speaking of ridiculous, based on what??

poloprince

Quote from: Jim Harris on April 22, 2015, 02:27:55 pm

Nope had nothing with the current roster.  MA said you must first win off the court.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

jry04

Quote from: poloprince on April 22, 2015, 02:40:41 pm
Nope had nothing with the current roster.  MA said you must first win off the court.  :razorback:
No offense, but you also said Allen signed a long time ago, just last week on the day he was actually signing. You aren't exactly the Kevaughn Allen insider.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 22, 2015, 02:41:41 pm
No offense, but you also said Allen signed a long time ago, just last week on the day he was actually signing. You aren't exactly the Kevaughn Allen insider.

He was also guaranteeing Portis and Qualls would be back.