Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 SEC Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, August 22, 2014, 03:47:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

The spring signing period begins this week and several McDonald's All Americans and American Family Insurance ALL-USA players remain uncommitted.

USA TODAY High School Sports spoke with Eric Bossi, a national recruiting analyst from Rivals.com, about several of the top players, the process and the opening weekend of the AAU season.

Among those coveted players, do you expect any surprises?

A: I'd say the murkiest situation is Jaylen Brown (Wheeler, Marietta, Ga.). He's got the most closely guarded decision process that is going right now.

Q: Another recruiting process that has been interesting involves Malik Newman from Callaway in Jackson, Miss., and the potential impact that new Mississippi State coach Ben Howland could have. How do you see that one shaking out?

The more I hear about that situation, him and his family have done a great job of answering any question asked of them without revealing a lot of information. The more it drags on, it wouldn't surprise me if he stays at home at Mississippi State. He has been clear from the beginning that he is looking for the most favorable place for him to get to the NBA as fast as possible whether it's in terms of playing time or shots. Mississippi State might fit the bill the best in all that.

I kind of appreciate his approach. Some might disagree but his dream is to get to the NBA and take care of his family.

Q: Ben Simmons from Montverde (Fla.) Academy withdrew from the Jordan Classic this week. What are your thoughts on that?

A: I think he and a lot of the other kids are just tired. The McDonald's week is a grind, the USA Basketball week for the Nike Hoop Summit is a grind. Some of them also played in the DICK'S National tournament. I think some of these kids want to spend some time with their friends and family a little bit.

It seems every year a kid says he's going to pull out of one of these big events, but Ben Simmons is first big one to do it...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  19h 19 hours ago

Confidence on UK landing Malik Newman and/or Stephen Zimmerman waning by the day. Mississippi State, UNLV buzz is strong.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  2h 2 hours ago

2015 commit F @Keith_Stone25 will be signing his LOI later this afternoon, his last step to officially become a Gator next season.

#smooth

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Jaylen Brown update on 1st day of basketball's signing period http://on-ajc.com/1JKDeBP

QuoteJaylen Brown, the 6-foot-7 forward from Wheeler High School who is rated as the state's No. 1 prospect, along with No. 2 overall in the nation, is down to eight finalists, including UGA and Georgia Tech. But he never made visits to either in-state schools this season due to scheduling conflicts.

"My guess is that it's going to be two or three more weeks with him," said Rivals.com's Dan McDonald. "I think he's trying to sit down and meet with his family and the coaches. He's trying to figure out what he wants to do.

"I don't want to say Georgia is out yet, but it seems pretty unlikely that they are going to get him. I think UCLA, Kansas and Kentucky are going to be in the forefront of that one. We'll see how it all plays out."

jbcarol

Steve Walentik @Steve_Walentik  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

From today's Tribune: Phillips signing on with Missouri basketball program http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/phillips-signing-on-with-missouri-basketball-program/article_8b4b335f-d48a-50f5-bfa3-561cd4c76229.html ...

QuoteAs the Missouri basketball team struggled to a 9-23 record, Terrence Phillips' enthusiasm for the Tigers never waned...

The 5-foot-10 point guard from Orange County, Calif., by way of prep powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in Virginia said he was eager to sign a letter of intent Wednesday, the first day of the NCAA's spring signing period.

"I'm excited to really officially be a part of the Mizzou family, and I can't wait to put on the black and gold," Phillips said in a phone interview this week. "No one wants to see their future school at 9-23. But I'm not one to decommit when things go wrong. I'm one to go in there, you kind of stay with the program. I see the direction they're trying to go. They had a new coaching staff this year. Not everybody has a good season. ... But I think I can go in there and we can change things around."

Phillips is joining early signees Kevin Puryear, a 6-7 forward from Blue Springs South, and Cullen VanLeer, a 6-4 guard from Pacific.

Anderson has three more scholarships to give after losing Johnathan Williams III and Deuce Bello to transfers. They will host junior college standouts Martavian Payne and Russell Woods — teammates at John A. Logan College in Carterville, Ill. — on official visits this weekend.

It remains to be seen what Phillips — who had scholarship offers from Auburn, Georgia State, Loyola Marymount and Western Kentucky — will bring to the Tigers as a freshmen...

jbcarol

Ole Miss Basketball @OleMissMBB  ·  32m 32 minutes ago

Rebels announce signing of JUCO standout and former Big West Sixth Man of the Year Sam Finley. http://rebs.us/LEZEu

AK on Finley: "Sam is a combo guard who, like Stefan Moody, not only excelled in junior college, but he also has Division I experience."

Finley posted 17.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg and 2.2 apg and won WJCAC regular-season champ with 24-8 record at Howard CC last season.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Will Mr. Basketball Dazon Ingram pick Alabama & @CoachAvery6? He'll make decision final on Friday: http://ow.ly/LEsF5 

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Auburn signs elite power forward Horace Spencer to cap top 15 class | http://ow.ly/LF9cx

jbcarol

Oscar Combs @wildcatnews  ·  2h 2 hours ago

JERRY MEYER: Kentucky offer on verge for juco SG? http://247sports.com/Bolt/Kentucky-offer-on-verge-for-juco-SG-36804675 ... via @247Sports

Quote47Sports is hearing that an offer from Kentucky is imminent for four-star junior college shooting guard Mychal Mulder.

Missouri and Creighton have been vigorously recruiting Mulder.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Kentucky now recruiting Vincennes Junior College wing Mychal Mulder -- who told ESPN he plans to visit UK in the next week or so.

Not 100 percent sure, but I think the last junior college guy that wound up at Kentucky was Eloy Vargas.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Typically, Florida delays announcing full signing class for basketball until paperwork is complete. But all four LOIs are in.

So with Allen and Stone faxing in letters of intent, the #Gators are officially over-signed -- 14 schollys for 13 spots.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Former Oregon signee Ray Kasongo will officially visit Mississippi state tomorrow, source told ESPN.

jbcarol

One of the major remaining dominoes in the Class of 2015 fell late Thursday night, as five-star 6-foot-10 big Stephen Zimmerman announced via Twitter that he'll attend UNLV next season.

QuoteZimmerman was also considering Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and UCLA before deciding to remain home and play for the Runnin' Rebels.

Lori Stvns ZimmerMoM @VegasBballMom  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Thank you to all. It's been amazing. Going to enjoy some decompressing time 🍸🍸🍸 and try to get back to everyone soon.

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello  ·  24m 24 minutes ago

Former Alabama commit Dazon Ingram makes his college decision today. He told ESPN it's between Kentucky and Alabama.

Q: Does he have a "committable" offer from UK?

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello  ·  22m 22 minutes ago

That's the big question. He said he thinks so.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/
Recruits with confirmed offers
Jaylen Brown   SF   Marietta, Ga.   2015
Cheick Diallo   F/C   Centereach, N.Y.   2015
Brandon Ingram   SF   Kinston, N.C.   2015
Thon Maker   F/C   Sudan   2015
Malik Newman   G   Jackson, Miss.   2015
Mike Thorne   PF   Charlotte   Grad
Udoka Azubuike   C   Jacksonville, Fla.   2016
M.J. Cage   PF   Santa Ana, Calif.   2016
Harry Giles   PF   Winston-Salem, N.C.   2016
V.J. King   F   Akron, Ohio   2016
Malik Monk   G   Lapento, Ark.   2016
Kobi Simmons   PG   Alpharetta, Ga.   2016
Jayson Tatum   G/F   St. Louis   2016
Derryck Thornton   PG   Chatsworth, Calif.   2016

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

Dazon Ingram with the Alabama hat. Commits to UA

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  27m 27 minutes ago

Only hats on the table for 2015 guard Dazon Ingram are UK and Alabama. Again, last I heard there was no UK offer there. So ...

Also, someone named "Nigeria Jones" was paged to the office at that high school during Dazon Ingram's announcement. I'm going to lunch.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  46m 46 minutes ago

.@EvanDaniels on UK and the remaining McDonald's All-American targets: "History says they're going to get somebody." http://bit.ly/1aDDPZm

QuoteThat leaves Jaylen Brown, Cheick Diallo, Brandon Ingram and Malik Newman as the McDonald's All-Americans who have not yet made a college decision.

Calipari has been recruiting all of them for more than a year. Will any of those four be Wildcats?

"History says they're going to get somebody," said Scout.com director of recruiting Evan Daniels. "I can't point to that person now, but I would assume they're going to get someone. But, I don't know. I think it is telling that they're recruiting other guys and trying to cover all of their bases.

"I don't think some of these kids have an idea — I mean, they have an idea — but I don't think they know where they want to go yet. And that's kind of leaving these coaches in the dark."

In recent days, Calipari has reached out to Charlotte graduate transfer Mike Thorne, a 6-foot-11 post player who will visit UK next weekend, and junior-college shooting guard Mychal Mulder, who is also setting up a visit to Lexington.

Daniels, who spoke to the Herald-Leader a few hours before Zimmerman's announcement, said it's "not out of the realm of possibility" that UK strikes out on its remaining targets from the high school ranks.

"But it's also not out of the realm of possibility that they get two of them," he said.

Ingram is hosting UK Coach John Calipari for an in-home visit Friday night, but he also hosted coaches from Duke on Friday morning, and many consider the Blue Devils the favorite in his recruitment.

Newman has long been at the top of Kentucky's list, though the recent buzz around his recruitment has centered on Mississippi State, his father's alma mater.

Diallo hasn't said much of anything about his recruitment in recent weeks, only that he plans to make a decision sometime this month. UK is battling Kansas, St. John's, Iowa State and Pittsburgh for his commitment.

And Brown, the No. 1 player in the Scout.com rankings, is a mystery to just about everyone.

"A guy like Jaylen Brown, he's got eight schools on his list," Daniels said. "Just get an eight-sided dice, put a school on each side and roll it. And that's about as good of an answer as you're going to get out of me."

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  8h 8 hours ago

2015 wing Malik Ellison (6-6, Life Center Academy) will visit South Carolina this weekend. Big time upside as a shooter.

jbcarol

The West defeated the East, 118-116, on Friday night in the 2015 Jordan Brand Classic at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn

QuoteArizona commit Allonzo Trier led the West with a game-high 28 points. Cheick Diallo, one of the top uncommitted players remaining, had 26 points and 11 boards to lead the East. Both shared the MVP honors. Diallo was named MVP of the McDonald's All-American Game earlier this month in Chicago.

The 6-foot-9 Diallo, his weekend is just beginning, as Evan Daniels of Scout reported that Diallo will have in-home visits with John Calipari, Bill Self and St. John's new head coach Chris Mullin.

Isaiah Briscoe, the Kentucky signee and local standout from New Jersey, had the crowd going with bucket after bucket for the East team, going one-on-one with LSU commit Antonio Blakeney for a sequence.

Briscoe ended with 22.

Jaylen Brown, Luke Kennard and Henry Ellenson all sat out. Ben Simmons, the future LSU Tiger and the nation's No. 1 overall player, did not make the trip.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  9h 9 hours ago

Check Diallo plays like he's a Great White Shark and there's nothing but blood in the water. Beyond relentless. Doesn't know how to stop.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Georgia's Mark Fox will meet with elite five-star guard Kobi Simmons (http://foxs.pt/1aEq78D ) today, per his father.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  9h 9 hours ago

Malik Newman recorded 8 pts, 5 assists, 2 rebounds and 1 steal in the final game of his HS career in the West's 118-116 win @JordanClassic.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  3h 3 hours ago
6-9 PF Ray Kasongo and the members of the men's basketball team arrived at DWS for the Maroon and White game.

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  23h 23 hours ago
First basketball-related news: Michael Edwards the 6-foot-9 post player from Michigan, has officially signed with the Georgia men's program.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  6h 6 hours ago

To go with Cheick Diallo, Kansas' Bill Self also met with five-star guard Maik Newman after the Jordan game. Meets with Brandon Ingram today

jbcarol

Jayhawk-Talk.com @JayhawkTalk  ·  19h 19 hours ago

That's cheating. RT @AdamZagoria: Skal Labissiere speaks French with Cheick Diallo, recruiting him to UK http://zagsblog.com/articles/cheick-diallo-wins-mvp-in-losing-cause-at-jordan-classic-kentucky-signees-recruiting-him-to-lexington/ ...

jbcarol

Sonny Bairos @sonnybairos  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Windsor,ON's Mychal Mulder has been offered by Kentucky. Has offers from Wichita St, Missouri, Creighton, Minnesota, Indiana & Georgia Tech

http://vaughtsviews.com/sports/college/uk/basketball/vincennes-guard-mychal-mulder-has-shooting-ability-and-intangibles-that/article_e308afd8-e46b-11e4-bab4-373314423c7f.html

Vincennes JUCO

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  13m 13 minutes ago

Malik Newman Press Conference Tentatively Set for Friday http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-newman-press-conference-tentatively-set-for-friday/ ...

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  19h 19 hours ago

Arkansas will be at Mingo Central (WV) Wednesday to see 2015 @Ddixson_35 , source says

jbcarol

Brad Winton @JucoRecruiting  ·  12h 12 hours ago

Head coaches from Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri will be at Lee College tomorrow to watch 2015 G Ty Outlaw. http://www.jucorecruiting.com/tyrone-outlaw-lee-college-basketball-juco-njcaa# ...

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  2h 2 hours ago

5 of the best players in the 2015 class are uncommitted. Here's my take on their situations: http://foxs.pt/1OGZPQA

QuoteJaylen Brown  Wheeler HS / 6'7" / 215 lbs  Position SF  SF Rank 1

Jaylen Brown seems to have everyone guessing. From college coaches to recruiting analysts to even the people in his camp, no one seems to know where he will go to college. The schools involved are California, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina and UCLA...

Thon Maker  Athlete Institute / 7'0" / 200 lbs  Position C   C Rank3

There are all kinds of questions that surround Thon Maker's situation. When will he go to school? Where will he go to school? Could he stay in high school in Canada and go to the NBA Draft? There are a lot of things to be sifted through. Maker's mentor – Ed Smith – told Scout on Monday that he is considering Arizona State, Indiana, Kansas and Kentucky... Smith did say that as of today they are looking at Thon going to college for the second semester.

Malik Newman  Callaway Sr HS / 6'3" / 180 lbs  Position SG  SG Rank 1

Malik Newman will announce his college choice on Friday at 1:00 ET. While his list publicly consists of Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State and North Carolina State, the behind the scenes chatter has his list more realistically at Kansas, Kentucky and Mississippi State... With all that said, things are tracking towards Mississippi State, where his father [Horatio Webster] played, and that's where everyone I've spoken to behind the scenes expects him to go. [Has stated that he wants to play PG.]

Cheick Diallo  Our Savior New American School / 6'9" / 210 lbs  Position C  C Rank 5

After winning the MVP trophy at the Jordan Brand All-American game, Cheick Diallo conducted a late night visit with Bill Self and his staff. Then he met with Kentucky and St. John's. Iowa State and Pittsburgh are also involved. A source close to the situation told Scout that Diallo doesn't have any other in-home visits scheduled and doesn't intend to do any more. The same source told Scout that a decision would be coming "pretty soon." In all honesty, this decision could come any day now. This one is a close call as we come down the stretch and if I was taking a pick, I'd pick go (sic, apparently all shaken up about the decision) with Kansas or Kentucky.

Brandon Ingram  Kinston HS / 6'9" / 190 lbs  Position SF  SF Rank 3

Brandon Ingram is planning to announce his college choice on Monday. His list of schools include Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, North Carolina State and UCLA. Ingram conducted in-home visits with Duke and Kentucky this past Friday.

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  10h 10 hours ago

Here is all you need to know about Calipari's most likely new commitment Mychal Mulder: http://bit.ly/1Dp8PEF

QuoteIf (or when) Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State tomorrow afternoon, all eyes will turn to Mychal Mulder to be that scoring threat in the backcourt with Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe. (And hopefully Jamal Murray.)

Mulder hails from just across the water from Detroit in Windsor, Ontario...

Mulder shot over 46 percent from downtown in his sophomore campaign at Vincennes, and that's with 190 three-point attempts on the season. No one in Division I college basketball shot 46 percent with 175 or more attempts last year.

Mulder is being labeled as an outside shooter, but don't think for one second he won't rise up on someone and throw it down.

He was the top priority for Wichita State and Creighton from Day 1.

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Still think there is a chance Murray may come to Lex for an unofficial visit on Derby weekend

He would not be able to combine an official UK visit and trip to the Derby due to the distance from Lexington to Louisville being just outside the allowed NCAA radius.

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  15h 15 hours ago

Major Mississippi State target in 2015.

Courtney Cronin retweeted Corey Evans

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10

2015 Mingo Central (WV) wing/forward Dikembe Dixson will take an official visit to Arkansas on 5/8 @ny2lasports

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  23h 23 hours ago

Former Mississippi State commit D'Marcus Simmonds finds a different landing spot

Courtney Cronin retweeted Future150.com

Future150.com ‏@Future150

2016 SG D' Marcus Simmons has committed to Ron Hunter and GSU Panthers.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  23m 23 minutes ago

Malik Newman will announce and explain his decision exclusively with the @clarionledger today at noon.

jbcarol

SportsTalk @sportstalksc  ·  9h 9 hours ago

#STRecruiting: Updates on USC basketball targets Woods, Cobb & Dixson http://goo.gl/fb/BeJW74

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  19h 19 hours ago

Calipari says he wants 1-2 more in this class. So who might they be? http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/recruiting/2015/04/23/how-will-uk-basketball-finish-its-2015-class/26225779/ ...

QuoteWhile coach John Calipari is still pursuing five top-10 overall recruits in this class, his chances aren't great to land any of them – which is quite unusual for him and a bitter pill to swallow...

...here's a look at the Cats' remaining targets, listed in descending order of the likelihood (in our humble opinion) that Kentucky signs them:

MYCHAL MULDER, SG, 6-4, 185 – The four-star JUCO guard got a scholarship offer from Kentucky last week and is visiting Lexington this weekend. His other top choices are Indiana, Wichita State and Creighton. While the Cats are in an excellent position to land him, that decision could be impacted by what happens with the next guy on this list.

JAMAL MURRAY, SG, 6-4, 195 – While he's rated the No. 15 overall prospect in the Class of 2016 by Rivals, longtime buzz that he'll reclassify to 2015 is picking up steam and Jerry Meyer plans to re-rank him a top-10 player in this class.

[ Jamal Murray @JamalMurray7  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Won't be making the trip to Lexington, good luck to my CIA Family!

I've got a lot on my mind🙇🏾]

CHEICK DIALLO, PF, 6-9, 210 – A consensus top-10 overall prospect, his stock is soaring even higher after being named MVP of both the McDonald's All-American and Jordan Brand Classic games in the last month. Although his recruitment was supposedly shut down after Calipari visited over the weekend, Diallo's high school coach, Ron Stelzer, told The Courier-Journal that St. John's head coach Chris Mullin visited Wednesday, "so he's still getting visits and how it all ends up, I don't know." Stelzer believes a decision will come next week.

"It might virtually be a three-way split right now between Kansas, St. John's and Kentucky – but I kind of like the other schools' chances a tad better," Meyer said. "That's a tough read. With Slice (Rohrssen, former UK assistant) moving on (to St. John's), I don't know if that helps St. John's as much as it hurts Kentucky. I think Kentucky is right in there and maybe we're over-evaluating the importance of Slice in his recruitment, because I think Kansas still feels really good about their chances. That's a real tough call."

JAYLEN BROWN, SF, 6-7, 215 – A consensus top-five overall prospect...

jbcarol

Richard Davenport @ArRecruitingGuy  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Kapita on board with Razorbacks: Power forward Ted Kapita, No. 69 college basketball prospect in the nation ac... http://bit.ly/1DXc2hf

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  32m 32 minutes ago
Five-star prospect Malik Newman chooses Mississippi State http://on.thec-l.com/1GpMQRr  via @CourtneyRCronin

Quote"It just kept popping up on my mind," Newman said. "It was Mississippi State, Mississippi State, Mississippi State. I just thought God placed everything in place for me and I thought that's the place I needed to be."

His father, Horatio Webster – a former Mississippi State forward in the late 90s – was more surprised with his son's decision.

"I never thought he would choose Mississippi State. Not in a million years," Webster said. "I never thought that he would play somewhat in his daddy's shadow. I just thought he would go in a different direction."

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  5h 5 hours ago
Most "Malik" part of today is how the MSU commit made his poor uncle late this morning bc he needed a breakfast sandwich before he left.

jbcarol

Steve Jones @SteveJones_CJ  ·  7h 7 hours ago
Before any UK fan criticizes Malik Newman, remember that you probably were hoping Damien Harris would do the exact thing Newman just did.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria
Three of the top 4 picks in 2016 per @DraftExpress will be in the SEC next year:
1. Labissiere (UK)
3. Simmons (LSU)
4. Newman (MSU)

10:25 AM - 24 Apr 2015

jbcarol

Kellenberger: Rebels' Kennedy must fire up recruiting

QuoteSo it turns out that Malik Newman's interest in Ole Miss was more flirtation than anything else, and whatever moment of opportunity the Rebels had to sign the five-star guard from Callaway disappeared when Mississippi State fired Rick Ray and hired Ben Howland...

Andy Kennedy, now entering his 10th season in Oxford, came closest on Johnny O'Bryant, but he ultimately signed with LSU in 2011 and is now with the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks. There have been three other McDonald's All-Americans since then (including Newman), and neither Devonta Pollard or Devin Booker seriously considered Ole Miss.

It goes beyond the burger boys, too. The best in-state player Kennedy has ever recruited was Jarvis Summers in 2011, but that was only after Kennedy missed out on out-of-state guys like Ky Madden (Arkansas) and Andre Hollins (Minnesota). Summers was a terrific player for four years, and it's a testament to Kennedy's evaluation and development skills that it worked out — but there's also a good bit of luck involved. It's a similar kind of fortune that leads to Marshall Henderson (who no one else wanted, because he's Marshall Henderson) and Stefan Moody (who was a major academic risk after getting kicked out of his first school) becoming all-SEC players that get you to NCAA Tournaments.

Ole Miss seems stuck in a perpetual cycle of having to scramble each spring to fill out the roster for the next season (which is still happening for 2015-16 after Newman picked Mississippi State). That means a heavy dose of junior college transfers and, now, grad transfers. And it has been years since Ole Miss so much as secured a verbal commitment from a prospect when he was still a high school junior. That's what happens when you do not have major ties to specific AAU programs (which, best I can tell, Ole Miss does not) ...

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  2h 2 hours ago

FYI: Four-star JUCO shooting guard Mychal Mulder is still visiting UK today. Enjoying himself very much, I'm told.

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

Brandon Ingram picks Duke

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Ray Kasongo's mentor, Brandon Bender, said he thinks Vols and MSU are Kasongo's final 2. Predicted decision could come "sometime this week"

jbcarol

Lamonte' Turner @2Turner_  ·  4h 4 hours ago

First I would like to thank every college coach and staff that invested time in recruiting me, but me and my family have decided

That I will reclassify up to the 2015 class and enroll in college this fall.. I will announce my college decision tomorrow around this time!

Jack LeGwin @jacklegwin  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Lamonte Turner just told me that all 6 schools in his final 6 are even. Alabama, AUB, UF, FSU, LOU, TENN & Wichita St. @2Turner_

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  33m 33 minutes ago

Alabama, Auburn among 7 finalists for former Sparkman PG Lamonte' Turner | http://ow.ly/Mck3G 

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Gonna be a busy commitment day tomorrow:
2 p.m. - Lamonte' Turner
3:30 - Mychal Mulder
TBD - Cheick Diallo

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  38m 38 minutes ago

On the blog: A little more information on 2015 SF Shaun Kirk, who now has a UK offer, according to his AAU team http://bit.ly/1AbcvJ0

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Shaun Kirk committed to N.C. State on Monday. By Monday night Kentucky offered. Now he's in limbo | Story: http://foxs.pt/1PSdvut