Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Steps for Donnie Tyndall

Started by jbcarol, April 21, 2014, 10:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regi

Probably going to be out of a job in a month. So he will have time to get fatter

TNhogfan

He looked that way when Hart introduced him on Knoxville TV.  Fans seem to like him, but are not getting attached since it is known if he were involved or knew about the problems at USM, then he is fired.  I think he was shocked when about half the crowd booed Pearl before the Auburn game and gave Tyndall a nice round of applause.  All the week before the game, Knoxville radio had assured the listeners of the fans giving Pearl a huge ovation.  Slowly they are moving past Pearl.

LR Hog

Like a boss.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  28 minutes ago
Josh Richardson's miss was oh-so-close, but the Vols lose to Ole Miss 59-57.

Tyndall said multiple players told him the ball should have stayed with UT after officials reversed it following White miss
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rightrev82

He really does remind me of of a pentecostal preacher.
Patience of 3 year old child > Patience of Razorback Fans

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: rightrev82 on February 22, 2015, 06:37:08 am
He really does remind me of of a pentecostal preacher.
If he lives in east Tennessee he must be a snake handler Pentecostal.

chiefhawg

Hawgey-Davidson

Poor guy needs a tailor. XXL sport coat on a M frame is just hideous.

jbcarol

'T' marks the spot

QuoteTennessee Coach Donnie Tyndall holds his day-before-the-game news conferences in a room at Thompson-Boling Arena.

He and reporters convene at a T-shaped table. Of course, the table is a pale orange.

Tyndall sits at the base of the T with media types arrayed along the spine of the T and across the top.

'T' for thoughtful

The home and visiting coaches hold post-game news conferences in separate areas at Thompson-Boling Arena.

After Tennessee beat Auburn 71-63 on Jan. 31, Donnie Tyndall delayed his post-game news conference so reporters could attend Bruce Pearl's back-in-Tennessee news conference.

Tyndall, who apparently is not threatened by the continuing affection UT fans have for Pearl, waited about 15 minutes before starting his post-game news conference.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Cresthog on February 05, 2015, 11:03:16 am
^ good analysis Mike.

I went to the game there and it was amazing how much they hated Mike. I mean with volatility.

It was really odd, I've never seen anything like it. I mean I know we have some ridiculous fans, but if Bret gives us similar success and then leaves for Iowa, I really don't think anyone would be all that pissed. Not in the same way they are up there.

Have we forgiven Eddie Sutton?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  18 hours ago

Tyndall: "I'm a big dreamer. My goal is still to find a way to go to the NCAA tournament." http://bit.ly/1zANkip 

Quote"I'm a big dreamer,'' Tyndall said. "My goal is still to find a way to go to the NCAA tournament, which, at this point in time, looks like we'd have to win the SEC tournament.''

Later, Tyndall added, "But I'm a realist in regard to how hard that's going to be.''

After losing seven of nine games, including the past three to LSU, Kentucky and Ole Miss, the Vols are 14-12, 6-8 SEC. This week they play host to Vanderbilt on Thursday (TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.).

Then it's a quick recovery and trip to Florida (TV: ESPN2, 6 p.m.).

Assuming the Vols don't realize the dream of returning to the NCAA tournament for a second consecutive year, Tyndall said he hopes to capitalize on other options...

"I just think any chance our team gets to play additional games as we move forward into next year, these practices and games will help a ton,'' Tyndall said.

MikePiazza

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 22, 2015, 12:40:10 pm
Have we forgiven Eddie Sutton?

The fan base? Absolutely. I remember he came to the Texas game back in Jan. '09 during Pelphrey's second year and John George announced he was there and they showed him on the screen and he got a LOUD ovation.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  11 hours ago

Final: Vols lose to Vanderbilt 73-65 after leading by 13 in the second half

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  11 hours ago

Tyndall on if #Vols still overachieving: 'Everyone knows where they picked us, and we sure don't want to finish where they picked us.'

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  11 minutes ago
Final: Florida beats Tennessee 66-49. Ties most lopsided loss of season for Vols. They've lost 5 in a row for first time since 2000-01.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  22 hours ago
Donnie Tyndall with a bit of a state-of-the-program address in his postgame interview with the Vol Network:

Dropkick

I think UTs lack of depth has finally caught up with them at the end of the year. Dead legs yesterday.

jbcarol

TENNESSEE AT LSU

When, where: 7 p.m., Pete Maravich Assembly Center, Baton Rouge, La.

TV: SEC Network

Records: Tennessee 14-14, 6-10 SEC; LSU 21-8, 10-6

Coaches: Tennessee, Donnie Tyndall (14-14 at UT); LSU, Johnny Jones (60-34 at LSU)

Series: UT leads 62-44

QuoteTyndall was an assistant coach at LSU from 1997 to 2001.

"A lot of close friends I still have there will be at the game," he said Monday. "I was there four years. I have a lot of great memories. As I said, our third season there we won the SEC, went to the Sweet Sixteen. One of our former players, Ronald Dupree, is on their staff now. It will be a lot of fun. Hopefully, we will play well, because we will have a lot of buddies there."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  39 minutes ago
Final: Tennessee stuns LSU 78-63. Vols snap 5-game losing streak and have now won 5 in a row in Baton Rouge.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  43 minutes ago
#Vols were 18-of-26 from the field in the second half at LSU.

If #Vols get No. 10 seed in SEC Tourney — which looks very possible — they'd probably play Florida or Vandy in first game.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  23 hours ago
Tyndall mentions one of the incentives to winning tomorrow being to clinch a winning season. 'Quite an accomplishment for this bunch.'

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  2 minutes ago
MEN'S FINAL: USC 60, Tennessee 49. #Gamecocks (15-15, 6-12 SEC) get first win vs. Vols since 2007

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  38 minutes ago
Final: Tennessee loses to South Carolina on senior day, 60-49. Vols finish regular season 15-15, 7-11 SEC.

No. 10 seed Vols vs. No. 7 seed Vanderbilt in the SEC tournament Thursday in Nashville. Should be salty.

Tennessee went 2-7 in SEC home games and 5-4 in SEC road games.

Tyndall: "We really played laterally tonight, east to west, and not straight to the rim."

Tyndall: "I don't know if I've lost 7 home games in the last 5 years ... I think our guys almost try too hard at home."

Tyndall: "I'm not going to stand up here and make excuses. We didn't get it done."

Tyndall spent 3 hours with Bernard King and former Vols last night. Bernard talked to the team for 10 minutes today.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  9 hours ago
Tyndall on Vanderbilt: 'They're playing, outside of Kentucky, as well as anybody' in SEC. 'It'll be another tough challenge.'

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  5 hours ago
Tyndall to @Strangemike44 on leaving the orange blazer at home for the SEC tournament: "I got too many negative comments on my physique."

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  32 minutes ago
Final: No. 10 seed Tennessee knocks off No. 7 seed Vanderbilt 67-61. Will play No. 2 seed Arkansas on Friday.

Tyndall said Richardson told the team this wasn't going to be his last game.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  23 minutes ago
Scanned a couple NIT projections (yes, those exist) this morning. None of them included Tennessee.

@Ben_Fred Bracket Matrix has them as a 7-seed, but that's after the Vandy win and before the Arkansas loss. I'd assume they'll be out too.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  13 hours ago
Tyndall said investigation "hasn't affected us like we thought" in recruiting. Said UT involved with good players in spring period and 16.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  Mar 12
[Vol AD] Hart: "I have had no conversations with the NCAA." Complimented Tyndall for coaching through potential distraction.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  13 hours ago
Any chance for more games? How will Tyndall/NCAA pan out? Who fills JRich's shoes? Lots of questions for UT hoops http://shar.es/1fC2Mg

QuoteSome serious unknowns suddenly faced the Tennessee basketball team following Friday night's 80-72 loss to Arkansas in the SEC tournament quarterfinals.

The most important remained to-be-determined as the Vols headed home from Nashville's Bridgestone Arena.

Is this all for these Vols?

First-year UT coach Donnie Tyndall's team finished 16-16. Undermanned, undersized and picked to place 13th in a 14-team SEC, they claimed 10th.

They erased a 13-point second-half deficit to knock off No. 7 seed Vanderbilt in a SEC tournament second-round game Thursday. On Friday, they cut a 20-point second-half deficit to four before falling to No. 2 seed Arkansas, which will take on top-ranked Kentucky in Sunday's championship.

The .500 record likely leaves the Vols at least one win short of the National Invitational Tournament, the 32-team event that selects the best teams left out of the NCAA tournament. The NIT has selected only one .500 team since the NCAA bought it in 2005, and that 2006 North Carolina team played one of the nation's toughest schedules. Barring a surprise when the NIT bracket is revealed Sunday night, this will be the first UT team since 2004-05 to miss both the NCAA tournament and the NIT.

There is another option. While the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) is for mid-major teams, the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) is a 16-team event that has become the last resort for teams left out of the NCAA and NIT. Only one SEC team (Texas A&M last season) has participated since the CBI started in 2008. Its cost can add up quickly. Last year, Purdue paid $104,699.27 to host two CBI games, according to a Purdue Exponent report. The price included a first-round fee and a quarterfinal fee, along with the regular costs of hosting a game.

The Vols would love to keep playing.

"Any time I can compete, I'm always down for it," Moore said.

But, as Tyndall said Friday, UT is likely to turn down an invitation to anything other than the NIT.

How will the Southern Miss investigation affect Tyndall?

After the game, Tyndall once again addressed the ongoing NCAA investigation into his former Southern Miss program. Uncertainty will linger until the case is dropped, or a notice of allegations arrives. Then UT will have to decide how to react.

Since Southern Miss announced the investigation on Nov. 6, 2014, two members of Tyndall's staff have resigned, Southern Miss banned itself from postseason play and two Southern Miss players Tyndall signed during his two seasons there have been ruled ineligible.

During an interview in a Bridgestone Arena hallway, Tyndall, who met with NCAA investigators in November, said the investigation "was never a distraction for me."

He repeated that he has cooperated fully with the NCAA. He pushed back against the notion the waiting game is hurting recruiting.

"We are involved with some really good players for this signing period," he said. "It hasn't affected one guy in the 2016 class. I think we will be in good shape."

UT athletic director Dave Hart praised Tyndall during a Thursday radio appearance in Nashville.

"I think Donnie has done an absolutely outstanding job," Hart told 104.5 The Zone. "He had four players left on the roster. He was able to patch together a roster, which isn't easy at all as late as it was."

Both Hart and Tyndall said they have no idea when the investigation will conclude. Hart said a decision concerning Tyndall's future at UT will not be made until hard facts are available. He commended Tyndall for his accomplishments while working under what he described as "a black cloud."

Hart was asked if UT would have hired Tyndall if it knew the investigation was coming.

"Well, as everything's hypothetical, but it would have been (pause) you know, it's important," Hart said. "That's why we vet coaches before we hire them. Compliance is a very, very, very high priority at our institution and our athletics department."

jbcarol

Tennessee Basketball @Vol_Hoops  ·  25 minutes ago
Quote from Tennessee head coach @UTCoachTyndall

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  37 minutes ago
Can confirm Tennessee will not play in the CBI. Did not pursue a bid.

Tennessee basketball not in select company: No postseason for first time since 2004-05 season http://shar.es/1fe09h

Josh Richardson @J_Rich1  ·  26 minutes ago
Well... I've played my last game here at the University of Tennessee. Just wanted to thank everyone...
https://instagram.com/p/0RQ5-Qp5Dy/

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  3h 3 hours ago
Asked UT if Tyndall-related announcement is scheduled for tomorrow. Was told there's none scheduled. Could change, but not in place now.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Came the 16th http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/tennessee-coach-donnie-tyndall-has-met-with-ncaa-twice_54269628 ... RT @wktalker: @Ben_Fred well can you confirm that the NCAA is in town or has been this week?

QuoteTennessee men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall has twice met with the NCAA regarding its investigation of his former Southern Miss team.

Tyndall's most recent meeting with NCAA investigators took place in Knoxville on March 16, sources with knowledge of the investigation told the News Sentinel. The sources requested anonymity because UT has not discussed the investigation publicly. Tyndall first met with NCAA investigators in Knoxville back in November.

The second meeting suggests the NCAA could be nearing the end of its Southern Miss investigation. Southern Miss announced on Nov. 6 that it was cooperating with the NCAA to review potential violations committed by the program Tyndall coached from April 2012 to April 2014. Multiple media outlets have reported the alleged violations stem from how non-scholarship athletes paid for tuition and living expenses, along with potential academic improprieties.

Tyndall's UT contract is a six-year deal worth $1.6 million annually. It states UT could fire Tyndall for cause — and avoid a $3 million buyout that exits until March 15, 2017 — if Tyndall committed Level I or Level II NCAA violations at UT or another NCAA member institution. The stipulations in the agreement are consistent with contacts Tennessee has with other coaches.

Tyndall spent his first season with the Vols under the black cloud that accompanies NCAA uncertainty.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

opineonswine

Quote from: jbcarol on April 21, 2014, 10:38:53 pm
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS  1h
Like I said when Arizona got Sean Miller, Tennessee will eventually be glad that it stumbled into this hire. Donnie Tyndall is a great fit.

Ouch

Jackrabbit Hog

There's a real move afoot in Knoxville to can the AD, Dave Hart, for screwing up the Tyndall hire (among other PR screw ups Hart has presided over).  Folks in Knoxville aren't real fond of Hart anyway because he is an Alabama guy, and this might be the straw that breaks his back. 

Sports at UT has been a dumpster fire for about 5-6 years now; if it weren't for what Butch Jones has done with football recruiting, they'd have nothing going for them at all right now.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2015, 11:08:04 am
There's a real move afoot in Knoxville to can the AD, Dave Hart, for screwing up the Tyndall hire (among other PR screw ups Hart has presided over).  Folks in Knoxville aren't real fond of Hart anyway because he is an Alabama guy, and this might be the straw that breaks his back. 

Sports at UT has been a dumpster fire for about 5-6 years now; if it weren't for what Butch Jones has done with football recruiting, they'd have nothing going for them at all right now.
Jones needs to win this year - as in more than 6 or 7 games or the heat is going up higher on Hart.  The whole Lady Vol branding/name mess is getting him lots of backlash, then the basketball hire after he said he did not need any type of search firm as he knew how to do it.  Over the past decade:  4 football coaches, 4 basketball coaches, 3 baseball, 3 track, 2 women's basketball and 2 ADs.  It is a mess.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  3h 3 hours ago
Should have mentioned this earlier. Everyone on Tyndall's staff is still employed by UT, at least for now. Tyndall only firing.

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  8h 8 hours ago
RT @Ben_Fred: Whoa. Dave Hart said Tennessee is going to use a search firm. Said he has never used one before. Has not engaged search firm.

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  9h 9 hours ago
RT @Ben_Fred: You can read Donnie Tyndall's letter of termination here. Includes emails about the emails he deleted. http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1696473-uts-termination-letter-for-donnie-tyndall.html#document/p1 ...

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Gotta be a tough day for #Vols' Armani Moore, Robert Hubbs and Derek Reese. Those guys are gonna have a third head coach in three years.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  27m 27 minutes ago

5 members of Donnie Tyndall's former UT staff members released. 2 to interview with Barnes. http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/five-members-of-tyndalls-former-tennessee-basketball-staff-released ...

QuoteAssistant coach Beau Braden, strength and conditioning coach Todd Moyer, director of basketball operations Justin Phelps, director of player development J.T. Burton and video coordinator Ty Proffitt were not retained.

UT spokesman Tom Satkowiak said current plans call for new Vols head coach Rick Barnes to interview the remaining two holdovers from Tyndall's staff, assistant coach Al Pinkins, who served as the interim coach between the firing of Tyndall and the hiring of Barnes, and assistant coach Chris Shumate.

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra @GoVolsXtra  ·  19h 19 hours ago
John Adams: That last guy could flat-out coach

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  22h 22 hours ago

Former Tennessee hoops staffers Jason Shay and Brooks Savage are now assistant coaches under Steve Forbes, ETSU announced today.

jbcarol

Its been very quiet on Tyndall since he was let go. I was just curious as to what and how he is doing now.

QuoteTyndall is supposed to meet with some NBA teams this weekend about an assistant spot in NBA or NBDL... And also some TV options.

jbcarol

Donnie Tyndall @DonnieTyndall  ·  17h 17 hours ago

Very proud of my 3 Srs @BLopez_24 @j_Rich1and @ottorocket25 great young men that have very bright futures in front of them! #makeithappen

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jbcarol

Matt Slovin @MattSlovin  ·  16h 16 hours ago

Donnie Tyndall exploring TV/radio possibilities, says time off has been 'enjoyable': http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2015/05/21/donnie-tyndall-exploring-options-including-nba/27747413 ...

QuoteTyndall said that he's "exploring all of my options right now," and that he's interested in working in television or radio. He also said that he would "love to get involved with the NBA" or its developmental league.

"Just turning over every rock right now and letting things play out," he said. " ... I'm working the phones and letting things develop."

The NCAA hasn't announced its findings from its investigation at Southern Miss, where Tyndall coached before arriving in Knoxville in April 2014. Tennessee athletics director Dave Hart determined it was likely that Tyndall would face significant NCAA sanctions following the investigation.

jbcarol

Mark Pancratz @MarkPancratz  ·  7h 7 hours ago
In memory of Coach Tyndall, we are going with these at our cookout today...