Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Ole Miss and USC Interim Ed Orgeron's next stop

Started by jbcarol, September 29, 2013, 02:54:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

September 29, 2013, 02:54:44 pm Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:06:16 pm by jbcarol
Joe SchadVerified account@schadjoe
Former Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron will be USC's interim head coach.

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 4h
RT @fbrumormill: ESPN reporting Ed Orgeron is USC's interim head coach replacing Lane Kiffin //// Coach O back in the saddle

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 4h
2 days ago, @KippLAdams & I heard college football "expert" say on radio Lane's job was safe because Haden had hired him. Wrong & Wrong
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Recruit reaction to Kiffin firing

QuoteCordell Broadus
Broadus is a four-star prospect and currently ranked as the No. 6 wide receiver in the nation by 247Sports in the class of 2015. He's also the son of well-known USC supporter Snoop Dogg.

"I feel that he should have been fired a while ago and USC is going to raise the bar now because the new coaching staff next year and I'm anxious to see what they are going to look like."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jbcarol on September 29, 2013, 03:05:03 pm
Recruit reaction to Kiffin firing
Well I'll say one thing about his (Broadus') reaction: If he thought the staff should have been fired and was still committed he was obviously sold on the school, certainly not on the coaches.

jbcarol

Ed Orgeron will be interim football coach at USC

QuoteLongtime USC assistant coach Ed Orgeron has been chosen to be the Trojans' interim football coach, Athletic Director Pat Haden announced at a Sunday afternoon news conference.

"Ed is a good man who knows USC,"  Haden said.

Haden said Orgeron would be USC's interim coach for at least the remaining eight games. Haden would not speculate on a possible successor to Kiffin.

"It's not fair to our team," Haden said. "This is not the right time."

Haden did joke that all his candidates are "alive" and "you are all candidates in this room."

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 6h
Ed Orgeron: I really think we've got to play w some energy, circle the wagons these next eight weeks & have some fun. #USC

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 6h
Orgeron says he will open up practice to the media. (Kiffin had closed media.) #USC

Calling All Hogs

Hopefully Ed will do his talking via twitter. At least that way people might understand what he is saying.

WilsonHog

I love that dude. College football needs characters like "O."

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CallMeHog on September 29, 2013, 11:37:18 pm
Hopefully Ed will do his talking via twitter. At least that way people might understand what he is saying.
Well at least he knows how to say "football". As a HC what else does he need to say? LOL

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 29, 2013, 11:40:27 pm

I sure as heck loved him at Ole Miss.  Awful, awful head coach.  So I'm extremely pleased with SoCal's choice for interim.  I'm sure it will go swimmingly for them.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 29, 2013, 11:40:27 pm

I agree Ed is a great character.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorhogs

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SpareRib

I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SpareRib on September 30, 2013, 12:43:55 pm
Can't wait for clips from the Ed O show.

That will be worth a watch if they have the USC Pom Pom girls making Jambalaya!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgon

We need to figure out a way to get that marble mouthed Cajun on our staff.  He can flat out recruit.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Hawgon on September 30, 2013, 03:58:31 pm
We need to figure out a way to get that marble mouthed Cajun on our staff.  He can flat out recruit.

If Partridge ever left, I'd take Coach O in a heartbeat. 

Regardless of what people on here think about him for his antics at Tennessee, the guy was the recruiting coordinator at USC during the glory years of the Carroll era, recruited a ton of talent at freaking Ole Miss and left Houston Nutt a stocked cupboard, logged a top recruiting class at Tennessee and was primed for another one before they left, and consistently pulled in top talent again at USC even after the sanctions hit.

jbcarol

Ryan Abraham ‏@insidetroy 1h
Orgeron said he had learned since his last head coaching job and joked that he didn't take his shirt off this time. #USC

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 1h
This won't be boring. RT @RegisterUSC: Orgeron, on restoring sweets to training-table meals: "Feed a lineman a cookie, he's happy." #USC

hawg_heaven

Quote from: Hawgon on September 30, 2013, 03:58:31 pm

If I remember correctly, his specialty is linebackers. I am sure he can coach any defensive position though.

One thing about Coach O. You may not be able to understand him, but he can recruit with the best of them.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: hawg_heaven on October 02, 2013, 11:42:02 pm
If I remember correctly, his specialty is linebackers. I am sure he can coach any defensive position though.

One thing about Coach O. You may not be able to understand him, but he can recruit with the best of them.

He's a career defensive line coach. 

DeltaBoy

I lost respect for Pat Hayden as soon as I read he fired Lane at the Airport.   I will miss Lana the most.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NoNC4Tubs

Hahaha

What a slap to Kiffin!

Pretty bad when you get fired and replaced with Orgeron......... 8)

jbcarol

Will Ferrell does his impression of Southern Cal's Ed Orgeron (audio)

"We gonna let the defensive linemen wrestle alligators," Ferrell joked in Orgeron's accent. "We gonna throw some voodoo magic in there. You know, a lot of chicken blood and amulets. Things like that."

It begins at the 2:30 mark (at link).

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/will_ferrell_does_his_impressi.html

NaturalStateReb

They'll continue to suck under Unfrozen Caveman Ballcoach.  Been there, done that.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

The once-glamorous program thought it would "Win Forever."

"He's changed the energy level," Haden said of Orgeron, who was immediately named interim Sept. 29. "The kids love playing for him."

The Twitter account of USC's famed marching band reported this week that Coach O had written personal letter thanking each member.

"Let's just have fun," Haden labeled the current environment. "It's kind of ridiculous to say that because college athletics is supposed to be fun. I'm almost embarrassed to say that, that we're having fun."

"No disrespect to the coach who was here before ... but you want a coach that you will freaking just go to war for every time ...," quarterback Cody Kessler said shortly after Orgeron was elevated. "I don't only speak for myself. I speak for the whole team. We would go to war for this guy any day of the week. Any time he needed us we have his back 100 percent."

It is still LA, where overnight sensations always seem possible...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24238497/weekend-watch-list-with-coach-o-running-show-fun-winning-back-at-usc

Orgeron left a stockpile of NFL-type talent for Ole Miss. The article notes that he has changed his coaching ways from then to now. On his way out the door, four years later, Nutt was still blaming Orgeron for leaving the cupboard bare.

jbcarol

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

hobhog

Also reported that Jack Del Rio interviewed for the job.

USC has an interesting situation on their hands. Coach O sure didn't show much at ole miss, but players sure like him. Wonder if Pat Haden can put up with his style/personality.

He'd be risky hire IMO, but never know.

hogsevenseven

I think Hayden could keep Orgeron for quite a bit less than $6M.  The players love him though that may not matter.  I don't care too much for USC, but it would be a good story for Ed O to at least get a chance.

jdelo77

jbcarol

jbcarol

Marcus Allen has seen enough. He's convinced.
The 1981 Heisman Trophy winner from USC said Ed Orgeron has sufficiently proved he deserves to drop the interim title and become the Trojans' head football coach. Allen isn't part of any selection committee, but if he were, he would hire Orgeron.

"From the depths of despair, from a program that was flat-lining, he has made a tremendous turnaround," said Allen, the first former player to talk to the team after Lane Kiffin was fired Sept. 29. "Here's a guy who cares about his players, treats them like his sons, and he wants the very best for them. So he's going to put you in the right position to be successful. He wants these guys to realize their dream, but he knows the only way to do it is to be tough."

Four former USC players, all in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, were asked for their opinions on the school's coaching situation and Orgeron...

Quote"To me, Ed Orgeron is like Marv Goux," Ronnie Lott said, referring to the legendary Trojans player-turned-assistant who coached at the school for three decades and died in 2002. "Ed Orgeron showed me, and showed a lot of people, that . . . in terms of moving forward, he's got to be considered. He's not only got to be considered, but he should be very high on the list."

"I'd hate to be in Pat's shoes right now," Anthony Munoz said. "I think Ed, at least from me being there a couple of times, I think he's done a phenomenal job. The whole atmosphere is different. Not once has he mentioned the lack of scholarships [because of NCAA sanctions]. That impresses me.

"When you hear the quarterback talk about how much he loves the guy, just going by the tweets, you can see that guys just love him. I'm sure there's people that want the high-profile names, but I don't know. If he wins out, he's got to be strongly considered."

Ron Yary was more careful in his response.

Jack Del Rio, the former USC linebacker, interviewed Nov. 1 in Denver.

jbcarol

With multiple reports that USC has hired Steve Sarkisian, no word yet on the future of interim Ed Orgeron.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 18m
Ed Orgeron "outraged" didn't receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN

Calling All Hogs

SteveInArk

Quote from: jbcarol on December 02, 2013, 03:40:42 pm
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 18m
Ed Orgeron "outraged" didn't receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN

Good for Orgeron ....  though he likely has behind-the-scenes offers sitting on his agent's desk, in case of this, a likely decision by Haden.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 21h
Pat Haden says he hopes Ed Orgeron goes somewhere "and makes me look like an idiot." #USC

jbcarol

ICYMI: Tears streamed down the cheeks of USC players on Monday after they said an emotional goodbye to one coach and readied for the arrival of another.

"It's awesome to be home," Sarkisian said after meeting with the team Monday night. "It's been an emotional day or so for the players here, for myself and for my former team and those kids up in Seattle.

"But it's awesome to be back. I'm fired..."

Quote"We kept coming back to Sark," Haden said.

Orgeron cried during an emotional meeting with players at the McKay Center in the afternoon.

"I've known Coach O since I was four years old and I've never seen Coach O cry before," said senior offensive lineman Kevin Graf, whose brother, Derek, and father, Allan, played at USC.

During the meeting, players were informed that offensive coordinator Clay Helton would coach them in their bowl game. Nearly all players exited without comment, some shaking their heads and wiping tears from their eyes.

Others still seemed stunned.

No word yet on Ed Orgeron's next destination.

rocknrollcoastie

When I first heard somebody mention this I thought it was just an Astate pipe dream...apparently not

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=What-if-Arkansas-State-hires-Ed-Orgeron
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

YodaHog

Would be a home run hire, but they would run the risk of another one and done.

rocknrollcoastie

After the fiasco at Ole Miss I think it may take Ed more than one year to prove he can be a head coach plus his wife is from Jonesboro she may not want to move after a year....happy wife happy life
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

ShadowTheHedgehog

'Oregano' should come and help us recruit. Pay him what he wants.

The real Hogules

December 12, 2013, 01:38:12 pm #46 Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:55:13 pm by The real Hogules
Perhaps Butch Davis will roll the dice and become the ASU-J head coach, if none of the bigger teams from a power conference comes calling in the next few weeks!

Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.........................
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ricepig

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 12, 2013, 01:38:12 pm
Perhaps Butch Davis will roll the dice and become the ASU-J head coaching position, if none of the bigger teams from a power conference comes calling in the next few weeks!

Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.........................

They might be surprised at the amount of money he could bring in, compared to Gus.

3kgthog

They'd get run into the ground just like he did at OM. He can recruit, but don't take the results at USC as proof he's a good coach. Those kids were playing off of newness and emotion. That doesn't last just like Nutt's rah rah didn't last. Take away a handful of once-in-a-generation in-state talent and Nutt was an overall sub .500 coach here.

GuvHog

Quote from: YodaHog on December 12, 2013, 12:46:27 pm
Would be a home run hire, but they would run the risk of another one and done.

If they get a good Head Coach, they run the risk anyway no matter who the coach is.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!