Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arlando Cook ARRRSTED

Started by The_Iceman, September 02, 2017, 08:30:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkchop#1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 02, 2017, 09:58:31 pm
You don't know that. If you had ever knocked someone out while fighting you would know it's not cut and dried situation. I don't fight unless I have been accosted and get thoroughly enraged. I knocked a dude clean out once and had to be tackled to stop me from continuing and I am a nice person.

I think we should wait and see what comes. For one thing if the cops walked up on him beating an unconscious person they should have charged him with a felony.
Yeah, it sounds like you're really a great guy all right.

Hawg Red

Forget intimidation, some guys do have PRIDE. Getting in a fight, losing and then pressing charges is not very manly (using the logic of a person that fights).

But none of that matters. Arlando Cook is reckless. Just like JaCorey Williams was. How many arrests is too many for some of you saying to "wait and see?"

Hell, I think Mike should suspend any team members that may have been there watching that crap.

MakingPlays

Well things definitely escalated fast in this thread.  I think a couple people have been watching too much TV.  Talks of him being in MOB, is that serious?  That literally made me laugh out loud. Arlando Cook can't even intimidate a 57 year old coach to give him meaningful playing time.

Also, FYI, it's not uncommon for people to sit around a watch a fight and not break it up, that doesn't mean you're in the MOB, that's just being irresponsible and starting bad rumors.  I can link thousands of youtube videos of people sitting around and watching fights with nobody breaking it up, people like to watch fights, especially if there's a bunch of college kids and alcohol involved.

Sounds to me like Cook got drunk, got into a fight got over zealous, and cops had to be called to break it up.  Coach Anderson will get the details, and unless there's a REALLY REALLY good reason Cook was fighting the guy, he's likely done.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: MakingPlays on September 02, 2017, 10:21:31 pm
Well things definitely escalated fast in this thread.  I think a couple people have been watching too much TV.  Talks of him being in MOB, is that serious?  That literally made me laugh out loud. Arlando Cook can't even intimidate a 57 year old coach to give him meaningful playing time.

Also, FYI, it's not uncommon for people to sit around a watch a fight and not break it up, that doesn't mean you're in the MOB, that's just being irresponsible and starting bad rumors.  I can link thousands of youtube videos of people sitting around and watching fights with nobody breaking it up, people like to watch fights, especially if there's a bunch of college kids and alcohol involved.

Sounds to me like Cook got drunk, got into a fight got over zealous, and cops had to be called to break it up. 

I didn't say "in the mob" I said it sounded like a mob...like a large group  of people that might intimidate you to keep your mouth shut right then.  Mob as in a large unruly crowd.

Also, I was just throwing out something to try to explain why he didn't want to press charges.

I think Hawg Red's explanation makes more sense than my speculation though.
Retired Radio Host

MakingPlays

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 02, 2017, 10:25:30 pm
I didn't say "in the mob" I said it sounded like a mob...like a large group  of people that might intimidate you to keep your mouth shut right then.  Mob as in a large unruly crowd.

Also, I was just throwing out something to try to explain why he didn't want to press charges.

I think Hawg Red's explanation makes more sense than my speculation though.

Ok,  I read it wrong, thought you were meaning MOB, as in THE MOB.  That makes way more sense lol. 

MakingPlays

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 02, 2017, 10:16:38 pm
Forget intimidation, some guys do have PRIDE. Getting in a fight, losing and then pressing charges is not very manly (using the logic of a person that fights).

But none of that matters. Arlando Cook is reckless. Just like JaCorey Williams was. How many arrests is too many for some of you saying to "wait and see?"

Hell, I think Mike should suspend any team members that may have been there watching that crap.

I agree Cook is reckless, this seems similar to the Williams situation.  Middle Tennessee probably on the phone with Coach Anderson right now lol.

I do disagree that players should get in trouble if they were there watching it.  If they are out hanging with Cook, he losses it and starts fighting someone, why do they have to get in trouble?

And if you're trying to say they should have broke it up, that's a bad idea as well, it's never a good idea to get in the middle of the fight.  Someone else could think you're helping one guy and then jump in and start fighting you or the guys fighting could end up hurting you while you're trying to break it up,  I've seen both situations happen before.  And I've seen the people that were trying to break stuff up end up getting arrested as well.  The best thing for them to do when they seen that call one of the coaches immediately, keep an eye on the situation, and try to get Cook out of there as soon as possible.  I'm sorry, but I wouldn't risk getting arrested and throwing my future away trying to save Cook for being dumb. 

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 02, 2017, 09:37:23 pm
Seriously, dude?

What are you basing this on?
The report said he was assaulting a man not a woman. I'm basing that off the report.....seriously?

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 02, 2017, 10:16:38 pm

Please. I met the guy that got knocked around by the Morris Twins out here in Phx. He coaches a club team out here. Straight up said he didn't even hesitate to press charges. Say what you want, but rarely are people hesitant to go after athletes in that situation. Could this guy be the exception to the rule, sure I guess that's possible.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

moses_007

From Arkansas-Democrat Gazette:

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas senior forward Arlando Cook was arrested early Saturday and charged with first-degree assault, public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

Cook was booked in the Washington County Detention Center at 2:48 a.m. and was released just before noon on a $1,250 bond.

According to a Fayetteville Police arrest report, officers found Cook repeatedly punching a man who appeared to be unconscious and was not defending himself outside of Bordinos Restaurant at 310 W. Dickson St. The reporting officer stated Cook had the victim pinned to the ground with his knees and was ahold of the victim's shirt with his left hand while he struck him with a closed fist.

Cook complied with officers' commands and was placed under arrest, according to the report, but more officers had to be called in to disperse a crowd of about 30 males. The victim refused treatment and no injuries were visible, according to the arrest report.

The altercation began as a dispute over a female, according to the arrest report. Officers observed Cook had watery and bloodshot eyes, and spelled of intoxicants.

Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said he is still collecting information from the incident and will "handle this matter accordingly."

"This is unacceptable behavior for someone in our program," Anderson said in a statement. "As Razorbacks, we hold our players to the highest standards."

The arrest is Cook's second in less than a year. He was arrested in Fayetteville on Oct. 2, 2016, for public intoxication.

Cook (6-8, 200 pounds) played in all 36 games and started seven times last season after transferring to Arkansas from Connors (Okla.) State College. He averaged 2.8 points and 2.3 rebounds per game as a junior.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 02, 2017, 11:30:53 pm
The report said he was assaulting a man not a woman. I'm basing that off the report.....seriously?

I'm talking about you saying most men are eager to press charges after a fight.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 02, 2017, 11:34:28 pm
Please. I met the guy that got knocked around by the Morris Twins out here in Phx. He coaches a club team out here. Straight up said he didn't even hesitate to press charges. Say what you want, but rarely are people hesitant to go after athletes in that situation. Could this guy be the exception to the rule, sure I guess that's possible.

Well, of course he pressed charges on a couple multi-millionaires. That's quite a bit different than normal circumstances and I think you know that. You knowing one guy that pressed charges does not make that the rule.

Hawg Red

Read Mike's comments and it's clear that he does not share the same opinion on acceptable rough housing behavior that many of you are trying to excuse away. It's also clear that Mike is going to bring the hammer down on him. Hopefully that means removing him from the program.

HogFoo

Nothing good happens after midnight.  I personally think Cook should be gone.   It's 2nd time.  He should have learned his lesson to stay away from situations like this. Especially if he's already got a strike on his record.  Everyone knows, Fayetteville PD don't play around.  Just go ask OU QB baker Mayfield who was form tackled probably better by Fayetteville PD than any linebacker last season. Haha.  Still one of my favorite videos to show any lame azz OU fan. :) 

Anyways, sorry, but Cooks schollie needs to go to someone else.  There are lots of possibilities where it could go. Just look in Bball recruiting.  Heck, it may help him out the same way it did JaCorey!  Make him wake up to consequences resulting from ones' actions.  Sorry Cook, but you gotta go bro!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

(notOM)Rebel123

"...officers found Cook repeatedly punching a man who appeared to be unconscious and was not defending himself....
The reporting officer stated Cook had the victim pinned to the ground with his knees and was ahold of the victim's shirt with his left hand while he struck him with a closed fist."

Yet....

"The victim refused treatment and no injuries were visible, according to the arrest report."

Evidently Cook doesn't pack a very mean punch.
But the dude probably just "punched his ticket" out of town.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

nwahogfan1

My thinking is Cook has done similar things like this before but not caught like heavy drinking and staying up to 3am.  This might be the reason he has been mostly invisible on the court and a disappointment. 

FineAsSwine

Doesn't look good. Probably on his way out.
Hogs up! Covid down!

k.c.hawg

Wearing a Razorback uniform, playing in front of thousands, representing the University on television 30+ times a year is a privilege. In the big picture 2 PI's are not a huge problem, getting drunk and getting in a fight in college isn't a huge problem. Putting yourself in this position after already having been arrested once is a problem. To me, this points to: if you give him a 3rd chance it's very possible he will embarrass the program again. Mike should do what he does, give him a fatherly talk, tell him to make the best of his next stop and find him a landing spot in the OVC.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Swinesong1

For those saying his schollie can be used for some potential recruit,  Cook is a senior.  His potential dismissal changes nothing. 

Nolan's Boots

Cook got into a drunken fight.

Cook won the fight.

The other guy doesn't want to cooperate with police (which is normal these days)

Cook is not in a MOB. Just a bunch of drunk kids who would rather record the fight and yell WORLDSTAR!! than help.

Cook needs better friends. When you see your D1 high profile buddy in a drunken brawl you pull his ass outta there and get him home. 

Law enforcement likes to charge high and plea down. When its all said and done hell plea to a misdemeanor.

Last but not least he's probably done at Arky. He's got 2 arrests in 2 years including one felony arrest and will not be tolerated by coach MA. If Jacorey had to go then Cook's Cooked. (no pun intended)
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

Porked Tongue

What you don't see, are some other undocumented incidents.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 03, 2017, 10:09:32 am
For those saying his schollie can be used for some potential recruit,  Cook is a senior.  His potential dismissal changes nothing.

Completely disagree. More minutes for Bailey and Gabe to play for their development, both will be there for seasons to come.

HogsonHicks

Cook should be shown the door today.  Further, if Beard was in fact present, Anderson should pull him aside, read him the riot act, and run him until he pukes.

These guys are Seniors and should be setting the tone, not putting themselves in these situations and acting like idiot freshmen.  They've BOTH had a poor history.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2017, 08:13:03 am
Read Mike's comments and it's clear that he does not share the same opinion on acceptable rough housing behavior that many of you are trying to excuse away. It's also clear that Mike is going to bring the hammer down on him. Hopefully that means removing him from the program.
And no one should accept that behavior if that is exactly what happened. Some of us are saying find all the facts before judgement is passed. However the reports aren't adding up.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2017, 11:06:11 am
Completely disagree. More minutes for Bailey and Gabe to play for their development, both will be there for seasons to come.
You're completely disagreeing on an entirely different issue. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 03, 2017, 03:05:18 pm
And no one should accept that behavior if that is exactly what happened. Some of us are saying find all the facts before judgement is passed. However the reports aren't adding up.

Okay, so, what facts could be brought up that would make you feel like Cook was still worthy of staying on the team? Because the police walked up on him hitting the guy, and were called because of a fight, so we know that happened. More than enough for me to feel like he should be gone after getting arrested for breaking into someone else's car and passing out last year.

The OTR

Quote from: Porkem on September 02, 2017, 02:08:50 pm
I was out late on Dickson last Thursday night (August 24th) and saw Cook and Anton Beard hanging out with a group of guys in the parking lot area behind Brewski's and Rogers Rec. It was after 1 AM and they were laughing and having a good time. Cook didn't seem "disorderly" then, but when you repeatedly put yourself in bad situations, bad things will happen. He's done as a Razorback.

Porkem eh? 

Never heard of you but I like the fact that you are out on the streets reporting real life stuff rather than just giving a blow hard windy opinion that means very little like the rest of these guys.

Need to make this boy a mod, Lanny. He's got the inside scoop of what's going on with these guys.  Need more good stuff like this.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2017, 04:44:05 pm
Okay, so, what facts could be brought up that would make you feel like Cook was still worthy of staying on the team? Because the police walked up on him hitting the guy, and were called because of a fight, so we know that happened. More than enough for me to feel like he should be gone after getting arrested for breaking into someone else's car and passing out last year.
Staying on the team? Idk he got hit, jumped, and was protecting himself and got in a fight. The whole him punching a guy that was unconscious is the part that sounds fishy.

Not saying he doesn't deserve some form of punishment whatsoever but fights in college do happen, and they happen often with athletes. It's not my job to pass judgement and whatever the staff decides I will roll with it because they will have all the information. Cook isn't critical to this teams success no matter what.

rzrbackramsfan

Mcgregor didn't have any really noticeable injuries on his face and he was being knocked unconscious.

One theory on why no charges are being pressed: the guy getting beat up might have said or did some stuff that he doesn't want to come to light.  Like maybe that guy called Armando the n word or something

hogginbama

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 04, 2017, 12:41:49 am
Mcgregor didn't have any really noticeable injuries on his face and he was being knocked unconscious.

One theory on why no charges are being pressed: the guy getting beat up might have said or did some stuff that he doesn't want to come to light.  Like maybe that guy called Armando the n word or something

Or maybe the guy that got beat up was the one who approached Cook and started the altercation over the female and Cook was defending himself. There is no sin for a guy over 21 to be hanging with friends in a parking lot laughing/joking like the one poster stated he saw them doing. Maybe he had a few drinks, was hanging in the lot with the guys when the "victim" approached him and swung. As CMA said, he will collect all the facts and then pick the best course of action.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogginbama on September 04, 2017, 01:01:18 am
Or maybe the guy that got beat up was the one who approached Cook and started the altercation over the female and Cook was defending himself. There is no sin for a guy over 21 to be hanging with friends in a parking lot laughing/joking like the one poster stated he saw them doing. Maybe he had a few drinks, was hanging in the lot with the guys when the "victim" approached him and swung. As CMA said, he will collect all the facts and then pick the best course of action.

What you just described is bad decision making at its finest for a D1 athlete but you guys can't quit theorizing excuses for someone who clearly does not value what he has.

Hawg Red

Just out of curiosty, where is the information coming from that the other individual did not want to press charges? All I see is that he declined treatment. Can someone show me something that says he didn't want to press charges, because we do know that charges were pressed.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogginbama on September 04, 2017, 01:01:18 am

Could be.  Hey maybe he just didn't want to have to fill out paperwork and go to court. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 04, 2017, 10:07:13 am
Could be.  Hey maybe he just didn't want to have to fill out paperwork and go to court.

Where are you seeing that the other party did not press charges?

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2017, 10:34:23 am
Good catch. Thought I read it but going back to all reports and it says refused treatment. So if he does press charges I'd say that would be the end of the road for Cook.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 04, 2017, 12:41:49 am

Gloves

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2017, 10:34:23 am

Just from what had been said earlier.  Even you partook in talking about not pressing charges.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 04, 2017, 05:43:10 pm
Just from what had been said earlier.  Even you partook in talking about not pressing charges.

I never said the guy did or didn't press charges. I challenged the logic that most men are happy to press charges after an altercation. It did take a while for it to click with me that I never read that he declined to press charges.

WorfHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 02, 2017, 09:59:01 pm
This is a quote from the article.  This is why I was wondering about intimidation.  30 males standing around watching the fight...AND they had to call in support to break that up?  Anyway, here is a clip from the article that both of us were talking about.  It is the link from a few post down.

"Cook complied with officers' commands and was placed under arrest, according to the report, but more officers had to be called in to disperse a crowd of about 30 males. The victim refused treatment and no injuries were visible, according to the arrest report."

I've been in that crowd, after last call, laughing at these idiots asking for assault charges. You can't talk sense into them, they're drunk idiots. And if you try to pull them apart you're the one who will end up with charges or in a fight.

Young buck will learn from this one way or the other.

The tough love crowd on Hogville who love throwning young idiots into jail with life altering consequences is probably just out for blood.My question is how much of a loss is he if CMA cuts/suspends him?

AirWarren

King Kong

Hawg Red

Quote from: WorfHog on September 04, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
I've been in that crowd, after last call, laughing at these idiots asking for assault charges. You can't talk sense into them, they're drunk idiots. And if you try to pull them apart you're the one who will end up with charges or in a fight.

Young buck will learn from this one way or the other.

The tough love crowd on Hogville who love throwning young idiots into jail with life altering consequences is probably just out for blood.My question is how much of a loss is he if CMA cuts/suspends him?

Tough love?

How many times does a guy need to get arrested before thinking he should be kicked off the team isn't considered "tough love?"

Get real.

WorfHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2017, 09:00:34 pm
Tough love?

How many times does a guy need to get arrested before thinking he should be kicked off the team isn't considered "tough love?"

Get real.

Arrested? An infinite amount of times. Convicted? Once.

hoglady

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 04, 2017, 12:53:16 pm
Slapfight.

Must have been since there were no visible injuries.
Doesn't really sound like much of a fight.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2017, 09:00:34 pm
Tough love?

Get real.

Both incidents are minor.

Sounds more like you just don't like him. We have seen much worse on the Hill. Carlos Hall for instance.

I am positive that MA will do what's right here. This team really doesn't need Cook at all in order to have a good season.