Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So What's the Vegas Odds of This Happening?

Started by cubsfan5150, March 16, 2011, 09:01:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cubsfan5150

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.military.com%2Fnews%2Farticle%2Freport-troops-may-miss-paychecks-in-a-shutdown.html%3Fwh%3Dwh&ei=4WmBTcvwF-rB0QHPuLCQCQ&usg=AFQjCNG9XOYB08D21M7lmcCwHjD87JvTtw

Basically saying that military members will begin missing paychecks if the government shuts down.  They really need to get their crap straight.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Flying Razorback

I saw that.  I'm glad I've been saving more lately, I've got a wedding and honeymoon this summer.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

webbgem

Matthew 6:34

SteveInArk

I would say zero chance ...  You don't want to be the politician that gets tagged with that event, regardless of which side you are on.  Even the guys and gals inside the beltway found that out a long time ago. 
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Flying Razorback

I agree highly unlikely, but it really sucks that they keep waiting until the last hour of the last day every two weeks to sign the continuing resolution.  Our NCO's that picked up promotions have been told by AFPC that they won't be assigned line numbers because they're still waiting on a budget resolution.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

cubsfan5150

Well, it's looking more and more likely by the second.

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

cubsfan5150

My LES is officially half of my normal pay.  I'm going to get paid for April 1-8, and back-paid once these brilliant souls that run our gov't figure something out.

OKC

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on April 08, 2011, 01:34:49 pm
My LES is officially half of my normal pay.  I'm going to get paid for April 1-8, and back-paid once these brilliant souls that run our gov't figure something out.
A couple of my buddies just told me about this...Hopefully the public will get wind of this soon and raise heck. Hopefully this gets resolved soon and pay resumes as normal.

J_Ville_Devils_Den

Yep just checked my LES and only 1 weeks pay.
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

cw2

The part of the statute that cuts off military pay in a government shutdown is being re-written.  I read an article about this a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently, that was put in there to force the hand of the side holding out; because, as stated, who wants to be the politician pinned with not paying the military?  It will be interesting to see what happens when the thing is finished and the military is the only branch/part of government that continues to get paid.  Maybe we will finally get a government shutdown and see what all we aren't missing out on.

Old Tusk

It is interest that some that whined about not getting a check, are so excited about it happening to others.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Old Tusk on April 10, 2011, 07:36:58 pm
It is interest that some that whined about not getting a check, are so excited about it happening to others.

?

Old Tusk

Quote from: cw2 on April 10, 2011, 06:19:54 pm
The part of the statute that cuts off military pay in a government shutdown is being re-written.  I read an article about this a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently, that was put in there to force the hand of the side holding out; because, as stated, who wants to be the politician pinned with not paying the military?  It will be interesting to see what happens when the thing is finished and the military is the only branch/part of government that continues to get paid.  Maybe we will finally get a government shutdown and see what all we aren't missing out on.

I was refering to the last line
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Old Tusk on April 10, 2011, 09:08:07 pm
I was refering to the last line

I'm not sure if he's actually thinking of it in a way that some people will miss out on pay.  I think it's more of a "with the military out of the way, the next shutdown could and probably would happen, and could be quite interesting." 

Fact is, I would get backpaid eventually, the civi's on the other hand, would be assed out.  That would really suck, as I'm sure they feel like they have as stable of a job as you'll find.

cw2

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on April 11, 2011, 08:53:26 am
I'm not sure if he's actually thinking of it in a way that some people will miss out on pay.  I think it's more of a "with the military out of the way, the next shutdown could and probably would happen, and could be quite interesting." 

Fact is, I would get backpaid eventually, the civi's on the other hand, would be assed out.  That would really suck, as I'm sure they feel like they have as stable of a job as you'll find.
That's exactly what I'm saying.  It has nothing to do with getting paid or not getting paid.  It has to do with taking away the excuse of "you're not supporting the military".  Let's face facts; what you rather see happen, all military around the world say, "well, we didn't get paid today, lets go home"; or the lazy slob who's job it is to fill out a form that request to fill out another form say, "well, we didn't get paid today, lets go home". 

There are some jobs you can't quit in the middle of, i.e., they are essential.  There are some jobs you can quit at any time and no one would know the difference, i.e., they are inessential.  If there actually were a shutdown, a lot of the inessential jobs would be exposed, and therefore eliminated.

But, as always, I'm sure the resident pot stirrer will try to turn this into a "the military is too big and bloated" rant or try to redirect it elsewhere.  Guess what, I agree, but that's not what we are arguing.  We are looking at what effect would a government shutdown REALLY have in this country.   Not much, except for those who are sitting around stealing oxygen from the rest of us and collecting a paycheck.