Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for an AGR slot...

Started by dennab, March 23, 2009, 08:42:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dennab

In the Air Guard, preferably at LRAFB, but I would consider other places.  I'm in Aircraft Fuel Systems Repair, but would be willing to crosstrain.

Let me know if any of you guys have in info for me.

Old Tusk

Check with Memphis. They converted to the C-5 and had considerable growth. I don't know their manning situation, but it would be worth a shot.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Razorback Ranger

Check out fulltimeguard.com  The links don't all work all the time but its a good way to look for AGR slots.

dennab

Pork Twain

April 17, 2009, 09:02:25 am #4 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:46:29 am by BeoPig™
Can you currnetly log in to Air Force Portal?  If so try this...

Go to Air Force portal.  Under featured links, go to career links.
From there, select Active Guard Reserve Mgt office.  Select ok on knowledge
now.  Under quick links, select AGR vacancy list.  Open the AGR vacancy list
spreadsheet.  There, you will find the available positions.  The
instructions are at the top of the checklist. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

dennab

Wow, didn't know the portal had that... thanks.

nlrwildcat1

Go to the states guard website and click on the hro website they have all air and army agr spots listed as well as technican jobs

Idahog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Alanmark

What is the realistic time frame from joining the Guard to being accepted to an AGR slot? The Army Reserves recruiter says it can be done in as little as 4to 6 months after WTC and AIT. I am prior service and would be going into the Guard as an E5.

Old Tusk

April 19, 2010, 05:23:12 pm #9 Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:24:48 pm by Old Tusk
I've hired people directly into AGR slots. I would be suspect of someone who says to join and we will get you an AGR slot in six weeks.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Old Tusk on April 19, 2010, 05:23:12 pm
I've hired people directly into AGR slots. I would be suspect of someone who says to join and we will get you an AGR slot in six weeks.

Old tusk, you still hiring? Would give body parts to get into an AGR slot (currently on active duty).

Old Tusk

I'm retired. Try Memphis. The C-5 brought a huge manning increase many of which were AGR.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: Old Tusk on April 21, 2010, 12:33:45 pm
I'm retired. Try Memphis. The C-5 brought a huge manning increase many of which were AGR.

Well thank you for your service boss. I am trying to get to the 188th (Originally from the Fort) but haven't been lucky enough yet. The timing to go AGR is perfect, with the new force shaping (whatever they are calling it now) that is about to go into place.

Old Tusk

Good luck...Hope a slot comes open for you soon.

tsgtred

The Airguard is your best bet for finding an AGR job, just not the 188th.  I took a technician position in finance there just to get my foot in the door, but I had to go out of state for the AGR (i ran out of patience).   Security Forces has the most of the AGR slots 188th.  Can't tell you much about the LR unit.  Since you would more than likely have to cross train at least you'll get per diem at school....Finance has the most turn over (I wonder why).  If you took a technician position you could either wait out and AGR job or buy your active duty time back to add to your technician time.  (buy back 10 years active duty, work as a tch for 20 years, retire with 30 years)

Old Tusk

Plus you get both a civil service retirement and a military retirement. Plus Techs have better longevity than AGRs.

Memphis is no longer a canidate. They are converting to the C-17 which will bring large manning reductions.

Also an AG told me the other day that if you fly or fix them, you should worry.