Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 things to take away from Bielema's press conference - 247 sports (#4 recruiting)

Started by PaintballHog, May 29, 2015, 03:36:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintballHog

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Five-things-to-take-away-from-Bret-Bielemas-press-conference-37497935

QuoteThe Class of 2016 has six commitments and could be adding to that total very soon. In the class, things can change, but it looks as if 4-5 offensive linemen, 3-4 wide receivers, 3-4 linebackers and at least three running backs.

Those numbers can all change but that is how they stand at the moment according to sources.

4-5 Olinemen. Makes sense.

3-4 linebackers. Okay.

3 running backs. Was thinking 2, maybe Day is thinking about hanging up the cleats?

3-4 wide receivers. Uhh what? Didn't seem to be a position of need, thought 1 more with Jones. Maybe Enos is wanting to spread it alittle more?

Very interesting

COCHISE

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 29, 2015, 03:36:24 pm
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Five-things-to-take-away-from-Bret-Bielemas-press-conference-37497935

4-5 Olinemen. Makes sense.

3-4 linebackers. Okay.

3 running backs. Was thinking 2, maybe Day is thinking about hanging up the cleats?

3-4 wide receivers. Uhh what? Didn't seem to be a position of need, thought 1 more with Jones. Maybe Enos is wanting to spread it alittle more?

Very interesting
A couple more WR's makes sense. Our current receiving corp is made up primarily of Jr's and Sr's and the younger guys we do have haven't stood out to this point. I'm betting this is an area that Coach Enos is wanting to address.

PaintballHog

Quote from: COCHISE on May 29, 2015, 03:55:50 pm
A couple more WR's makes sense. Our current receiving corp is made up primarily of Jr's and Sr's and the younger guys we do have haven't stood out to this point. I'm betting this is an area that Coach Enos is wanting to address.

Pettway Fesh
Deon Stewart Fresh
Jojo R Fresh
Jared Cornelius Soph
Kendrick Edwards Soph
Duwop R Soph
Eric Hawkins Junior
Reed Junior?
Morgan Junior
Hollister Junior
Hatcher Senior

Only one we'll lose is Hatcher next season. Looking at this list it seems the upper classmen are solid and dependable, and the young guys have alot of raw talent. Doesn't seem to be any lack anywhere, don't see why we would take more than two this class, unless we were in the running for major talent.

WaltonCollege

Yeah for a team that's only going to have 1 or 2 wideouts on the field most downs I think we are fine at receiver. We need more linebackers and o linemen. We have two backers on the team with SEC experience and our 2nd team line is all freshmen. I would love to take 5 o linemen and 5 backers this class.

jgphillips3

I could see us wanting 3 WR a class just due to those that don't pan out and to keep balanced numbers.  I also believe Enos will be more multiple and less obvious than we have been.  I could see three receiver and four receiver sets where we run to go against tendency and set up teams for later in the year so it isn't an obvious passing set.

Kevin

Don't count on jo Jo or Kendrick. Sounds like they are one step from joining Ramsey
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lefty08

Quote from: Kevin on May 30, 2015, 05:51:01 am
Don't count on jo Jo or Kendrick. Sounds like they are one step from joining Ramsey

Every player on the team is one step away from joining Ramsey. It's called discipline
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HoggusMaximus

This is the first time i've seen a coach talk about integrity and actually mean it.

jackflash

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on May 30, 2015, 07:12:25 am
This is the first time i've seen a coach talk about integrity and actually mean it.
Actually in the case of OUR HC I think you can say, and really mean it, that he has from day one!! His message has never changed or deviated one iota from the idea that he wants UNCOMMON MEN to populate his roster. That means they'll go to school and make their grades, practice and play hard to the best of their abilities, and behave themselves responsibility in all aspects of their lives.

CattleCorn

Best I can tell, Bielema has meant everything he has said from day one and hasn't deviated from anything he said he was going to do.  I love his confidence in the face of adversity.  You know that's gotta be rubbing off on our players.  :razorback:

RebelW

Having relievers and have a true down the field threat to help level out your offense is completely different. We need more speed with sure hands. Not just mediocre

JackTNHogfan

Quote from: PaintballHog on May 29, 2015, 04:40:00 pm
Pettway Fesh
Deon Stewart Fresh
Jojo R Fresh
Jared Cornelius Soph
Kendrick Edwards Soph
Duwop R Soph
Eric Hawkins Junior
Reed Junior?
Morgan Junior
Hollister Junior
Hatcher Senior

Only one we'll lose is Hatcher next season. Looking at this list it seems the upper classmen are solid and dependable, and the young guys have alot of raw talent. Doesn't seem to be any lack anywhere, don't see why we would take more than two this class, unless we were in the running for major talent.

I think we will end up signing 2 WRs.  I think our WRs coming in are going to be good and will prove it in fall camp.  They will probably all RS this year too.  Well Reed won't RS but the ones coming from HS probably will.

WBC Hog

Just like y'all are saying, if there is one thing we have learned it is when Bielema says something, he means it. And when he says he's taking 4 WR's, he's gonna take 4 gosh dang WR whether y'all think we need them or not lol. Somebody mentioned we shouldn't take that many unless we are on some talent... guys, we are on some talent! Isaiah Graham is all ours as soon as he sees our offense. I think we're in real good with Kofi Boateng too.

P.S.  Deon Stewart, LaMichael Pettway and Dominique Reed will all be playing next year. No redshirts for these guys.

ARtillahog

Quote from: WBC Hog on June 01, 2015, 02:33:20 am
... Isaiah Graham is all ours as soon as he sees our offense.
I kind of get the same feeling from everything I've read.

I think we're in real good with Kofi Boateng too.
I haven't seen anything on him to make me believe we get him.  Maybe after seeing the new offense he will have increased interest?

P.S.  Deon Stewart, LaMichael Pettway and Dominique Reed will all be playing next year. No redshirts for these guys.
Very interesting comment on Pettway, when a team with at least 6 months to a year of S&C with Herb say WOW about a freshmen, you know he's a man.

GuvHog

Pettway Fesh
Deon Stewart Fresh
Jojo R Fresh
Jared Cornelius Soph
Kendrick Edwards Soph
Duwop R Soph
Eric Hawkins Junior
Reed Junior?
Morgan Junior
Hollister Junior
Hatcher Senior

How many of those are speed merchants that can stretch the field???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WBC Hog

Quote from: ARtillahog on June 01, 2015, 10:05:50 am
Very interesting comment on Pettway, when a team with at least 6 months to a year of S&C with Herb say WOW about a freshmen, you know he's a man.

I saw him at both games I attended last year and I remember thinking, dang! That kid is stout! He is quite the physical specimen.

PaintballHog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 01, 2015, 10:24:01 am
How many of those are speed merchants that can stretch the field???

Reed, Hawkins, and Stewart seem like deep threats.

JoJo, Pettway, and Duwop are close, but more physical and athletic than just straight speed.

bennyl08

Pettway Fesh
Deon Stewart Fresh
Jojo R Fresh
Jared Cornelius Soph
Kendrick Edwards Soph
Duwop R Soph
Eric Hawkins Junior
Reed Junior?
Morgan Junior
Hollister Junior
Hatcher Senior

The only one of those guys who have proven anything is Hatcher. Morgan is pretty consistent but probably wouldn't start for any other SEC and had less than 1 catch a game.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is lots of potential in the guys we have. It is just that potential is one thing and results are another. Cornelius is the only receiver besides Hatcher to average more than one catch a game (1.38). None of that says we have solid dependable guys yet.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 03, 2015, 02:03:18 am
The only one of those guys who have proven anything is Hatcher. Morgan is pretty consistent but probably wouldn't start for any other SEC and had less than 1 catch a game.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is lots of potential in the guys we have. It is just that potential is one thing and results are another. Cornelius is the only receiver besides Hatcher to average more than one catch a game (1.38). None of that says we have solid dependable guys yet.

You forgot Hollister who did average one catch per game, but other than that you are correct from a statistical standpoint.
Go Hogs Go!

PaintballHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 03, 2015, 02:03:18 am

You have to take into consideration the way above average catches our TE's had that would skew passing numbers for WR's.

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2015, 06:04:01 am
You forgot Hollister who did average one catch per game, but other than that you are correct from a statistical standpoint.

Indeed I did. Thanks.

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 03, 2015, 08:18:00 am
You have to take into consideration the way above average catches our TE's had that would skew passing numbers for WR's.

I think I am, it is just that so many of our passing stats are really spread out. To a certain degree, that is a good thing, but in this instance, I think it is not. With only 1 WR over 35 catches and 300 yards, that is pretty low IMO. Sort of a if you have 15 receivers with 1 reception each, you don't really have any type of situation. It did get me thinking though, so I'm going to do a little number stuffs.

2005: 1581 total passing yards to work with, 150 completions, 13 td's
58 reception eaten up by RB's, 554 yards 4 td's
2 receivers over 25 catches (Monk, Washington) both with at least 365 yards.

2006: 2093 yards, 154 receptions, 23 td's
45 receptions eaten up by RB's, but only 385 yards 4 tds
Only 1 receiver reached those benchmarks however with monk netting 50 receptions, 11td's and over 900 yards

2007: 2125 yards, 179 receptions, 24 td's
90 receptions to RB's, 943 yards, 6 td's to RB's
no receivers reached those benchmarks, in fact Hillis had 49 catches for 537 yards as by far our leading receiver

2008: 253, 3115, 19
DJ Williams and M. Smith took up 90 rec, 997 yards, 5 td's
Still had 3 receivers over 25 catches and 4 receivers over 300 yards (Childs was close to making it 4 and 5)

2009: 247, 3845, 32
DJ still factored in for 42 catches and 411 yards, but it was dominated by receivers that year
3 guys over 25 catches and 4 guys over 300 yards

2010: 301, 4338, 36
DJ was still our leading receiver by receptions and Wingo hit over 25 catches too
but 4 receivers each over 30 receptions and over 600 yards

2011: Okay, this is getting a bit repetitive, but TE's and RB's accounted for about a third of receptions
still had 3 receivers over 30 catches and 500 yards (3909 total), was largely slanted towards Wright

2012: 3618 yards, 272 receptions
This was the year extremely slanted towards Hamilton, only D. Johnson hit 25 catches. McKay and Herndon still surpassed 300 yards with Gragg and BMitchell knocking on the door.

2013: 150 , 1782, 15
72 receptions to TEs/RBs 776 yards, 8 td's
2 receivers hit 25+ catches and 2 over 300 yards (herndon and hatcher)

2014: 199, 2444, 21
92 to TE's/RB's (59 to Henry/Derby) 1045 yards (816 to Henry/Derby) 8 td's
1 receiver breaking 25 catches, 300 yards, , 2 total players broke that with 3 total breaking 300 yards.

Nutt went from a few wr's, to just one, to basically none at all as the offense increasing just featured the backs. Petrino favored having a main core of studs among the receiving corps. With CBB, TE's are getting about the same receiving as under Petrino, but with fewer passing plays, the receivers are taking the brunt of the decline.

Looking some of his years in wiscy

2011 with Russel, had over 3k passing, Ball the primary carrier without a 1b, and he had two receivers leading the way with over 900 yards each.

2010 was perhaps more a classical wisconsin with 2500 passing yards, 1a,b, and c at RB, and TE Kendricks led in receiving though with 2, nearly 3 WR's behind him over 300 yards (only 1 with 25+ catches).

Moral of the story is it all depends on personnel I guess.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse