Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good, safe place to park some $

Started by majestic, July 27, 2015, 03:22:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

So, I've been maxing out the 401k for a while now and I have a variable annuity at work.  I am so sick of only earning 1/4% from the bank for my cash on hand.  I like to have a reasonable amount of $ available but would like to earn some better return on it.  Any suggestions? Even the online only banks are paying ~1%. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Arkansasbeaux

Not sure how long you want to park it for. Having said at, I do some prerefunded tax free municipal bonds for some clients of mine. Generally 2 to 4 years of maturity with yields within 2 to 4 percent as well. The interest is all federally tax free.

ricepig

Lots of banks have checking accounts that pay around 3%, you have to do a certain number of debt card transactions and get your statement online. They also limit the interest to the first $25,000.

HawgWild

Are you using a no fee cash back credit card for all your purchases? It's a good way to get 1.5% on the money you spend. I put everything on my card.

majestic

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2015, 05:12:29 pm
Lots of banks have checking accounts that pay around 3%, you have to do a certain number of debt card transactions and get your statement online. They also limit the interest to the first $25,000.
Who? I ditched Arvest a few years back because they didn't pay any interest and had some stupid charges. I have direct deposit, multiple transactions, etc.  I'd love to find someone paying 3% or more.

majestic

Quote from: HawgWild on July 27, 2015, 05:22:11 pm
Are you using a no fee cash back credit card for all your purchases? It's a good way to get 1.5% on the money you spend. I put everything on my card.
I only have one credit-card and mostly use it for business and pay it off each month.  It does pay back 1.5% and carries no fee.

majestic

Quote from: Arkansasbeaux on July 27, 2015, 04:14:57 pm
Not sure how long you want to park it for. Having said at, I do some prerefunded tax free municipal bonds for some clients of mine. Generally 2 to 4 years of maturity with yields within 2 to 4 percent as well. The interest is all federally tax free.
I'm really talking about the good old days of plopping money in a checking or savings account and earning 5 or 6%. 

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on July 27, 2015, 05:39:11 pm
Who? I ditched Arvest a few years back because they didn't pay any interest and had some stupid charges. I have direct deposit, multiple transactions, etc.  I'd love to find someone paying 3% or more.

Well, Focus Bank and Southern Bank here in Jonesboro pay that or close. You have to do 10-12 debit card transactions a month, and one of them requires a direct deposit per month. Focus has dropped their rate lately, and Southern limits it to $15,000.

hog.goblin

Quote from: majestic on July 27, 2015, 05:41:49 pm
I'm really talking about the good old days of plopping money in a checking or savings account and earning 5 or 6%. 

keep dreaming about those days

DeltaBoy

Quote from: majestic on July 27, 2015, 03:22:00 pm
So, I've been maxing out the 401k for a while now and I have a variable annuity at work.  I am so sick of only earning 1/4% from the bank for my cash on hand.  I like to have a reasonable amount of $ available but would like to earn some better return on it.  Any suggestions? Even the online only banks are paying ~1%. 

Mutual funds 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

elviscat

I hope you find someone who has a good answer. I been looking for a long time, the market is rigged against the savers. There is no place to make in money, without taking a lot of risk. The market are rigged and are control by a few insiders for their on profits. !% have earned 68% on there investment since the crash but the bottom 90% less than 1% return. It's all about insider info and about manipulating the markets. Those are the bastards making money.

PorkRinds

I hear the Dinar is going to blow up any time now.  You might check into that.

BigBrandonAllenFan

October 31, 2015, 09:25:21 am #12 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:53:34 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Open a Fidelity Mutual Fund account.

There are appx 150 mutual funds to play.  When the market gets high, you cash out for your profits and trade for stable funds, like Fidelity Conservative income Bonds Fund, in which the bond price never changes and you collect about 1 to 1 1/2 percent annually.  When the market dips, study the graphs and buy variable funds.

This is my method.  For the record, honest truth, in this a year when the NASDAQ composite is up a mere 1 1/2 percent year to date, I am up over 20% on my account year to date.  It's an easy concept, and I am flabbergasted why more people do not know how to utilize their retirement accounts. I work for the largest employer in Arkansas, and that number of employees includes literally some of the smartest people in the state, yet basically none of them pay any attention to their retirement accounts, just allowing their money to sit there stagnant, not exercising their trade options at all.

It's beyond me why people are so financially ignorant.  I don't mean ignorant like dum@ss, but ignorant like ignoring their retirement accounts.  I take a simple 5 or 10 minutes a day to check the markets, and have made over 40 trades this year since January, all at a profit.  As of today, I have stock in 6 funds.  Next week, I may own 1 fund or I may own 10 funds, it just depends on how the market fluxes.

Here is the deal, the market, as we know, fluxes daily.  If you have 100k for instance in your retirement account, it can be worth 100k on Monday, and 102k on Tuesday, then 98k on Friday.  You watch the percentages of your select fund's gain and sell accordingly, then patiently wait on a drop in the composite, then re-buy.  I have bought and sold the same Fidelity Select Gold Fund 4 times this year for an overall profit like I said of near 20%, whereas the price of the stock currently is lower than the price it was back in January.

As an example, I bought a chunk of Fidelity Select Natural Gas on Friday 10/23.  As of Friday 10/30, I have gained almost 2%.  Give me another 2% next week and I'll pay the 3/4 percent early redemption fee (on shares held less than 30 days) and I'll cash out at 3 1/4% profit for two weeks of investment.

People who leave their money stagnant in their retirement accounts are not at all financially bright IMO. He11, it's your money, make it work for you on a daily basis.  If you don't, oh well, I'll keep taking the profit lines from your stagnant investments.  Seriously.

BigBrandonAllenFan

To give an example of how it works, look at graph link below.  Click on the "1y" under the graph for the last year's full graph.  Notice the large spikes August and October.  The stock fluxed over 20% in those two months alone.  While it is hard to catch the lowest low or the highest spike, it isn't hard to catch it somewhere in the middle when you buy or sell.  There is your big gains.  If you owned the stock when it was at $13 a share, and it went to $15 dollars a share a week/month later and you didn't sell, then it drops back to $13, guess what?...You just missed a 15% gain in your investment by not selling.  What you do is sell at $15, wait patiently for the drop back to $13, then re-buy.  It's not rocket science.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/FSAGX

BigBrandonAllenFan

...Why I bother to attempt to teach people this for free I don't know.  Most folks still don't get it.

hog.goblin

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2015, 10:00:17 am
...Why I bother to attempt to teach people this for free I don't know.  Most folks still don't get it.

Appreciate your posts.  Historically I've avoided doing this thru mutual funds because of the redemption and some funds even lock the trading.

I've used this kind of strategy in my Roth IRA with Apple and WMT, 2 stocks I believe in long-term but capitalize on short-term negative fluctuations.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 01, 2015, 11:16:57 pm
Appreciate your posts.  Historically I've avoided doing this thru mutual funds because of the redemption and some funds even lock the trading.

I've used this kind of strategy in my Roth IRA with Apple and WMT, 2 stocks I believe in long-term but capitalize on short-term negative fluctuations.

You're welcome, Hog Goblin.  ;)

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 02, 2015, 09:23:35 pm #17 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:34:46 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 31, 2015, 09:25:21 am
As an example, I bought a chunk of Fidelity Select Natural Gas FSNGX, on Friday 10/23.  As of Friday 10/30, I have gained almost 2%. Give me another 2% next week and I'll pay the 3/4 percent early redemption fee (on shares held less than 30 days) and I'll cash out at 3 1/4% profit for two weeks of investment.

Today's (Mon 11/2) closing price on FSNGX> $25.48...+0.41 cents...1.64%

I went up 1.64% of that 2% target gain the first day of the week.  Feeling pretty good about cashing in by this Friday for a 4% to 5% profit on my investment in just 14 days...

I may keep a quarter of the stock though, because the fund is still extremely cheap at this point.  I'll probably shoot for nearer 10% return on about 25% of the original buy.

Then again, the market may go south the rest of the week and my investment could be behind on Friday...It's Wall street...There is a bull, and a bear, on the corner.  No room for scaredy cats.. I was tempted to sell today and grab the quick 2.9% net profit in just 9 days, but I held for now.  Feeling pretty good with buying the natural gas cheap with winter coming on.

Like I try to tell folks, it's really an easy game to play.  Pretty much all you need to know how to do is add and subtract.  And mutual funds are relatively safe investments.  Fact is, if the market goes bad south, we all lose some anyway, unless you're money is parked in conservative bonds that is..

Most folks think, "I have a fund manager to take care of my mutual fund account."  Only problem with that is, he isn't managing YOU'RE account, he is is only managing the fund.  Unless you have specifically hired an account manager, you are your account manager...Most folks don't realize that. 

ricepig

As my old little old lady broker used to say, the bulls get some, the bears get some, but the hogs get slaughtered.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2015, 01:16:24 pm
As my old little old lady broker used to say, the bulls get some, the bears get some, but the hogs get slaughtered.

Which is exactly why you just simply chip away at Wall Street.  Get greedy and you can get devoured.  Golden rule #1.

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 03, 2015, 08:51:24 pm #20 Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:20:33 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 02, 2015, 09:23:35 pm
Today's (Mon 11/2) closing price on FSNGX> $25.48...+0.41 cents...1.64%

I went up 1.64% of that 2% target gain the first day of the week.  Feeling pretty good about cashing in by this Friday for a 4% to 5% profit on my investment in just 14 days...

I may keep a quarter of the stock though, because the fund is still extremely cheap at this point.  I'll probably shoot for nearer 10% return on about 25% of the original buy.

Then again, the market may go south the rest of the week and my investment could be behind on Friday...It's Wall street...There is a bull, and a bear, on the corner.  No room for scaredy cats.. I was tempted to sell today and grab the quick 2.9% net profit in just 9 days, but I held for now.  Feeling pretty good with buying the natural gas cheap with winter coming on.

Like I try to tell folks, it's really an easy game to play.  Pretty much all you need to know how to do is add and subtract.  And mutual funds are relatively safe investments.  Fact is, if the market goes bad south, we all lose some anyway, unless you're money is parked in conservative bonds that is..

Most folks think, "I have a fund manager to take care of my mutual fund account."  Only problem with that is, he isn't managing YOU'RE account, he is is only managing the fund.  Unless you have specifically hired an account manager, you are your account manager...Most folks don't realize that. 

As you see by the chart/link below, my now 10 day old FSNGX (Fidelity Select Natural Gas) investment bounded up another 3.49% TODAY.!!!!

I bought in only 10 days ago, and I went up a total 7.3% in that short time period.  The profit was too good to resist the sell, so I sold 75% of the stock today at that nice quick profit.  It cost me 3/4% on the sale for early redemption on shares held less than 30 days, but who cares??, right... I'll take the 6.55% net profit for a 10 day investment straight to the bank!! Bam!!!!!!!!

Today's (11/3/15) FSNGX chart>  11/3, FSNGX......+0.89 cents.....+3.49%
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/fsngx

Like I said, if people managed their retirement accounts properly, they'd make money with their money.  My overall account is now up nearing 24% year to date, and again, the NASDAQ composite is up a mere 2% year to date.  You gotta trade.  If you don't, you're not going to make a lot.

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 03, 2015, 09:00:15 pm #21 Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:18:40 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Just a tidbit>>>

I have bought and sold the same Fidelity Select Gold fund 4 times this year.  The stock is lower priced now than it was back in January, yet despite that, 4 times I have bought and sold the stock for profit in the last 10 months since January.

The market doesn't have to be trending up continuously to make money.  You just catch the valleys and buy, and catch the hills and sell.  It isn't difficult.  Just don't get greedy, simply chip away at it.

The flip side, anyone who bought the Fidelity Select Gold stock back in January is a loser on the stock 10 months later, only because they didn't sell when they were at a profit..

I'm just trying to share some investment knowledge here, nothing more.

BigBrandonAllenFan

One other tidbit that defies my logic>

I know people at work that have their entire retirement balance in a low interest Freedom Fund.  In 2014, when the market surged about 20% overall, the "considered stable" Freedom funds collected a measly 3 1/2% return.  ROTF.  Freedom funds are a safe bet for the most part, but if you get 3% a year, you're performing at the normal/expected rate of return.  Bonds are no better most of the time, and worse, they can be volatile.  Much depends on interest rates in the bond category.

If either of these describes your retirement account holdings, your broker loves you, because he is making money hand over foot off of you're money most every year.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: majestic on July 27, 2015, 03:22:00 pm

If you are talking about parking some money for "a while", as in 10 years, buy stock in every drone company you can find.

The mini-drones are going to be the hot Christmas item this season for starters, and sales will only climb as the years go by.  I just bought my 14 y/o kid two of them for his birthday.  I have about 4 or 5 folks at work that are buying their kids/grandkids drones.  It won't be long before it becomes a staple type tech toy for the younger generation.  The stock you buy now may well gain 1000% in ten years.  The business is in it's fledgling stage.  NOW is the time to invest long term shares. 

For real.

majestic

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 05, 2015, 05:56:17 pm
If you are talking about parking some money for "a while", as in 10 years, buy stock in every drone company you can find.

The mini-drones are going to be the hot Christmas item this season for starters, and sales will only climb as the years go by.  I just bought my 14 y/o kid two of them for his birthday.  I have about 4 or 5 folks at work that are buying their kids/grandkids drones.  It won't be long before it becomes a staple type tech toy for the younger generation.  The stock you buy now may well gain 1000% in ten years.  The business is in it's fledgling stage.  NOW is the time to invest long term shares. 

For real.
Until they are regulated out of existence by the FAA.  But I like your other advice.

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 05, 2015, 08:14:13 pm #25 Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:12:56 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: majestic on November 05, 2015, 06:11:15 pm
Until they are regulated out of existence by the FAA.  But I like your other advice.

I was speaking much more of the mini-drone makers, aka toy sized, which are likely to remain unregulated by the FAA, not the Dominoes delivery models that fly in soon enough to be restricted space.  But, most of the companies that produce drones make varied models from small to large. The FAA regulations will soon enough be written for larger drones, and that portion of the business will grow steadily too, just at a slower pace than the minis.  Drones will not be the next cell phone or PC type of tech giant, but it will garner a good share of new dollars.  Bottom line, the kids dig 'em, parents buy their kids things the kids dig.  It's not a hard one to figure there is some solid "new" dollars beginning to flow.  My kid got his, now his best buddy at school is asking for one for Christmas.  As new technology and marketing in "drone gaming" begins to evolve in the mini-drone business, importing competitions, the biz will boom.  Don't hide and watch.  Get you some.  Everyone always thinks I'm wasting my breath I believe, and I'm counting my stack all the way to the bank.

Excellent article here on the world's top 13 drone manufacturers>>
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/13-companies-pushing-the-drone-revolution-2014-06-25

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 05, 2015, 05:56:17 pm

For real.

6 wild uses for drones that aren't just photography

By Sally French
Published: Nov 16, 2015 4:02 p.m. ET

With drones now stocked on shelves at the Apple Store AAPL, -1.34%  Best Buy BBY, -1.28%  and Target TGT, +1.37% among other retailers, it's no surprise that the government expects a million drones to be sold this holiday season.

But what do they actually do, besides take photos of your family picnic or trip to the beach? Turns out, a lot. From collecting the cloud of spray exhaled by whales as they surface for scientific research to being a part of future Disneyland nighttime shows, here's a look at the 6 wildest uses for drones that aren't just photography:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/6-wild-uses-for-drones-that-arent-just-photography-2015-11-16?dist=afterbell

Easy Call...  ;)