Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

# 2 in only 4 years?

Started by plumbhog, January 13, 2018, 04:23:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

plumbhog

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

I'm 61 years old & have suffered through so many crushing defeats & seasons.

It would be so exciting to have a team again that really matters, not to just us Razorback fans, but to the nation at large.

We can only hope for these exciting predictions to come true.

OLDHOG

I'm 66, hope I have another 4 years left to see it.

LittlePigMan

Hate to say it but we've been #2 for several years now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: plumbhog on January 13, 2018, 04:23:24 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/prominent-oddsmaker-says-not-unreasonable-arkansas-soon-will-no-2-sec

So they are projecting a return to an era similar to that of Petrino. Not such a stretch considering that they are so similar in philosophy. What I am waiting to see is if Morris is as good of a play caller in terms of setting up plays (2-3-4-5 plays, or a full quarter in advance) as Petrino was while he was here. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFansReunited

I hope he is right but I would take the under.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

RockyMtnHog

It will be great when Arkansas is relevant in the SEC again.  It has been a loooong time since we've been able to say that.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

oldbooniehog

Here is the most-relevant sentence from the whole article.

"The Razorbacks have had just three 10-win seasons in the SEC era (1992-present)"

That's like one double-digit win season every 8.6 years.

woo pigs, etc.....

WedingtonStreaker

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 13, 2018, 10:06:08 pm

"The Razorbacks have had just three 10-win seasons in the SEC era (1992-present)"

woo pigs, etc.....

In 3 years, we will take your head out of the sand and let you know how good of a season we are having

Woo Pigs, etc .....

Flrazrback

I agree it's been a long time since we were a top tier SEC team. Very excited to be on the rise.

ICEman

Quote from: LittlePigMan on January 13, 2018, 08:04:38 pm
Not lost on me!💩
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

rtr

I think Danny Sheridan understands Arkansas' potential better than most so-called fans on here.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

ZERO

woo pigs, etc.....

But all three of them came within a six year time span. We can actually be pretty good consistently if the conditions are met.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Pork Twain

Far too many are acting like this team is short on talent.  There is a lot of talent on this roster, just had a coach unable to maximize it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 14, 2018, 03:14:09 am
Far too many are acting like this team is short on talent.  There is a lot of talent on this roster, just had a coach unable to maximize it.

It's short on talent relative to the competition.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 03:16:12 am
It’s short on talent relative to the competition.
Are we still living in the fantasy world that we are ever going to compete with the powers in the SEC on roster depth of talent or are we just talking about this Arkansas roster compared to past Arkansas rosters?  I am a realist and just talking about our current roster and depth of talent compared to past rosters but if you prefer to compare it to Bama and LSU, have at it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogBreath

woo pigs, etc.....
It must really chap your old butt when someone says or predicts nice things about the Hogs, 'eh there, ole timer?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 14, 2018, 05:19:56 am
Are we still living in the fantasy world that we are ever going to compete with the powers in the SEC on roster depth of talent or are we just talking about this Arkansas roster compared to past Arkansas rosters?  I am a realist and just talking about our current roster and depth of talent compared to past rosters but if you prefer to compare it to Bama and LSU, have at it.

If Danny can talk about being a top 10 team in 4 years I think it's fair to discuss the need to have a talented roster. And yes, that means recruiting at a higher level.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 14, 2018, 03:14:09 am

That is correct, sir.  Arkansas is a sleeping Giant who's about to wake.  We all should know how hungry a Bear is after hibernation!

Rzback

Quote from: OLDHOG on January 13, 2018, 08:02:17 pm
I'm 66, hope I have another 4 years left to see it.
Know the feeling well, 66 and climbing. Hope he's right!
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 06:58:47 am

If Danny can talk about being a top 10 team in 4 years I think it's fair to discuss the need to have a talented roster. And yes, that means recruiting at a higher level.

It's fair to compare both.

Without doing the research, which would be time consuming, Arkansas has never had more "4-star" talent on the roster since the "elite camp"/recruiting service era began.  Richard Davenport says Bielema beat more big schools for talent than any coach he's seen.  There aren't many four star players, and they are seldom misses.  For whatever reason, there seem to be more on this roster who have underperformed than you would think there should be.  Maybe this staff can put them in position to reach their potential.

Alabama has a two-deep made up of mostly 5-star players.  Their special teams are stocked with them.  Rivals awarded 5 stars to 34 players in 2017.  Alabama signed 7 of them.  That is a typical year for the Crimson Tide.  I watched the championship game with five football crazy friends.  We all agreed that Alabama has more talent on the roster than most NFL teams.  That doesn't mean Alabama could compete in the NFL.  But it has become an incubator where talent is concentrated on its way to The League.  That, in addition to NCs, is what Saban is selling.  Arkansas can't compete with that. 

I think Danny Sheridan may have been into the sauce when he said Arkansas will be number 2 behind Alabama in 4 years.  On the other hand, I think his statement is a strong endorsement of his confidence in Chad Morris.  I think those who seriously watch college football and have been around awhile understand that he is an excellent coach with a vision.  I don't think Sheridan is locked into the despair some Arkansas fans find themselves in.  He knows that football runs in cycles and that Arkansas is a program with the potential to be very good for sustained periods with the right leadership, because he's seen it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Peter Porker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2018, 08:12:28 pm
So they are projecting a return to an era similar to that of Petrino. Not such a stretch considering that they are so similar in philosophy. What I am waiting to see is if Morris is as good of a play caller in terms of setting up plays (2-3-4-5 plays, or a full quarter in advance) as Petrino was while he was here. Time will tell.

I read an article that Morris gave up playcalling duties at SMU.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 14, 2018, 08:21:29 am
I read an article that Morris gave up playcalling duties at SMU.

I'm pretty sure he will be involved.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 14, 2018, 08:26:09 am
I'm pretty sure he will be involved.

He described how he works with Craddock in his presser Tuesday. Craddock is the primary guy, but Morris sometimes gives him specific play calls.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

sooie84

Number two seems a little ambitious. That being said, I am interested in seeing how current talent improves with new direction and especially training. Alex Collins and Deatrich Wise have both leaned up and it's paying dividends in the league. Excited to see how a Sosa Agim and especially our secondary and skill players will improve when training for speed instead of brute  strength.

PygmalionEffect2

I think Sheridan worded it in that odd way to give himself an out in case things aren't going so swimmingly 5 years from now
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Supermark101

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 14, 2018, 05:19:56 am

Seeing as that is who we play if fair to compare to the top of the SEC. You don't win games because you have more talent than in bad years.

That said this team doesn't have the same level of talent as the 2006 or 2011 teams, especially on defense. Will we in a couple of years, maybe.

Atlhogfan1

Sheridan is a self promoter and BSer. But BB did leave a lot of skill players behind that Morris should be able to have offensive success with.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

247Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 13, 2018, 08:12:28 pm

I'll go ahead and give play calling to Petrino over Morris. I'd give Morris the edge regarding defense and depth.

At the end of the day, if your defense can't get you the ball back, it doesn't matter how well you can call plays.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I see what you did there, and I can't disagree.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

oldhawg

As a comparison, does anyone recall what Sheridan (or other sports commentators) had to say about the Bielema hire five years ago.?

Could Sheridan's comments have as much to do with the AD hire in combination with the coaching hire?  More emphasis on having asuccessful football program?

Porknoxville

I live in Vol country and unfortunately Danny Sheridan and all the other National pundits are saying the exact same thing about Tennessee being a national top 5 power. Those guys just want the fans to go to their websites to listen to them it brings attention and popularity to themselves. I believe coach Morris will do a great job. My expectations are 7 to 9 wins most every year with a potential of 10 wins maybe even 11 every 4 5 6 years. We have to start beating South Carolina at home every year we play them at home, we have to start beating Texas A&M at least half the time, we have to start taking Mississippi State to the Woodshed instead of vice versa. And we have to start competing with Auburn and Alabama and LSU and not get beat like a total drum. I'm happy as heck that we have Coach Maurice than I expect tations are to have good winning seasons and I have no illusions of a national title or an SEC Championship anytime soon. Just some major respectability. Go hogs
KS, I realize this is a very choppy post sorry about that.

HeathWimp

Quote from: rtr on January 14, 2018, 12:07:29 am
I think Danny Sheridan understands Arkansas' potential better than most so-called fans on here.

Isn't that the guy who was so sure Gus was coming here?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

EastexHawg

This will be an interesting topic to revisit 3-4 years from now.  Somehow I have a feeling that no matter what anyone says now vs. how things turn out there will explanations for why he was/they were really right all along.

Mjs84

Don't let all of Norvell's lover boys read this.  They may take their heads away from his junk long enough to have a fit!

Mjs84

Some of you guys are not going to understand, but this team is loaded on both sides of the ball.  The o-line is a glaring weakness that will need strong leadership to turn itself around, and we have issues with depth on certain areas, but people will see very quickly,  we are much much better than Brets last season.  This will make itself evident year 1 with CCM.  A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE ARE IN FOR A SUPRISE!  I'M TALKING 7 WINS MINIMUM.  POSSIBLY MORE, DEPENDING ON THE REST OF THE LEAUGUE.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 14, 2018, 08:51:35 am
He described how he works with Craddock in his presser Tuesday. Craddock is the primary guy, but Morris sometimes gives him specific play calls.

As in frequently.

BDSCT51

I'm all in on this new pitcher of kool-aid! At least till the taste goes bad (again!) which I hope not to have happen for the next ten years.

I agree with the assessments that we have adequate talent on campus to compete, and win, in the SEC right now. I am growing more and more confident in this staff with each day and the more research I do. Having said that I'll temper my enthusiasm due to so many past soul crushing heartbreaks as other "old guys" here have mentioned.

We'll see.
Bleeding Razorback Red

rtr

I think you may see recruiting go to a new level under this staff.

rzrbk4life

Quote from: rtr on January 14, 2018, 12:49:53 pm
I think you may see recruiting go to a new level under this staff.

This is what has me excited as well. I really am hopeful that CCM can utilize his TX ties like he has talked about and bring in some quality recruits to the hill
Let's call those hogs!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 14, 2018, 12:17:03 pm
Don't let all of Norvell's lover boys read this.  They may take their heads away from his junk long enough to have a fit!

It5's no secret that I wanted Norvell to get the Job but I'm perfectly Okay with Chad Morris as head Hog. I think the Hogs may have landed a diamond in the rough in Morris.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

First off, Sheridan thinks that 9.5 wins gets you to #2 in the SEC.  I believe facts can dispell that.  I want to believe that we can attain those 9, 10 win seasons often with an occasional 7 or 8 win season and maybe even mix in an 11 win season too. 

I know we haven't performed near the 9 or 10 win seasons but that is where I believe we could be, if Upper Management does their part over a long period of time.

okrazorback

Quote from: Rzback on January 14, 2018, 07:43:41 am
Know the feeling well, 66 and climbing. Hope he's right!

I also hope for that, But in 5 months I will be 80.

Torqued pork

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 14, 2018, 08:20:10 am
It's fair to compare both.

Without doing the research, which would be time consuming, Arkansas has never had more "4-star" talent on the roster since the "elite camp"/recruiting service era began.  Richard Davenport says Bielema beat more big schools for talent than any coach he's seen.  There aren't many four star players, and they are seldom misses.  For whatever reason, there seem to be more on this roster who have underperformed than you would think there should be.  Maybe this staff can put them in position to reach their potential.

Alabama has a two-deep made up of mostly 5-star players.  Their special teams are stocked with them.  Rivals awarded 5 stars to 34 players in 2017.  Alabama signed 7 of them.  That is a typical year for the Crimson Tide.  I watched the championship game with five football crazy friends.  We all agreed that Alabama has more talent on the roster than most NFL teams.  That doesn't mean Alabama could compete in the NFL.  But it has become an incubator where talent is concentrated on its way to The League.  That, in addition to NCs, is what Saban is selling.  Arkansas can't compete with that. 

I think Danny Sheridan may have been into the sauce when he said Arkansas will be number 2 behind Alabama in 4 years.  On the other hand, I think his statement is a strong endorsement of his confidence in Chad Morris.  I think those who seriously watch college football and have been around awhile understand that he is an excellent coach with a vision.  I don't think Sheridan is locked into the despair some Arkansas fans find themselves in.  He knows that football runs in cycles and that Arkansas is a program with the potential to be very good for sustained periods with the right leadership, because he's seen it.

I think the problem with DS POV is that it would require the program to unseat the top tier of the division. Right now the only vulnerability appears to be LSU.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 14, 2018, 12:26:02 pm
Some of you guys are not going to understand, but this team is loaded on both sides of the ball.  The o-line is a glaring weakness that will need strong leadership to turn itself around, and we have issues with depth on certain areas, but people will see very quickly,  we are much much better than Brets last season.  This will make itself evident year 1 with CCM.  A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE ARE IN FOR A SUPRISE!  I'M TALKING 7 WINS MINIMUM.  POSSIBLY MORE, DEPENDING ON THE REST OF THE LEAUGUE.

Loaded is not a word anyone would use to describe this roster objectively speaking.

rtr

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 14, 2018, 02:44:23 pm
I think the problem with DS POV is that it would require the program to unseat the top tier of the division. Right now the only vulnerability appears to be LSU.
Auburn can be taken.

Shiner

^^^^THIS^^^^