Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfers

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, January 11, 2018, 07:42:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Season is over, coaching staff is hired, and signing day is coming up. When do we begin to see announcement of transfers from the team?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jjdlc

Generally after spring ball.

Ā 

jgphillips3

Quote from: jjdlc on January 11, 2018, 07:57:25 am

This.  However, due to the coaching change there could be some players told, not that they have to leave, but that they don't fit the system and will never see the field to make room for more new players so there may be a trickle of transfers announced a little earlier.

Flrazrback

Coach Craddock mentioned he was trying to contact a couple of JUCO players yesterday. We may have transfers inbound also.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2018, 08:11:15 am
This.  However, due to the coaching change there could be some players told, not that they have to leave, but that they don't fit the system and will never see the field to make room for more new players so there may be a trickle of transfers announced a little earlier.

Are you guessing this, or have you heard? Let me clarify, have you heard an ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS COACH speak that?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cotton

Correct... What player is going to leave an SEC school knowing he has to sit out when a new staff just arrived and he has a clean slate?  This summer we'll see a few but it won't be a mass exodus.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

parallaxpig

Quote from: Cotton on January 11, 2018, 08:41:32 am
Correct... What player is going to leave an SEC school knowing he has to sit out when a new staff just arrived and he has a clean slate?  This summer we'll see a few but it won't be a mass exodus.

Wait to see how many they sign in Feb. That will give you the #   
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

WooPig90

With the commits we have now, we are already over. So people will for sure be transferring out. Cole Hedlund already gone

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

A player that doesn't care for the new HC/staff, a player that doesn't like the new scheme, a player with personal issues/family problems that needs to step away or transfer closer to home
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ThisTeetsTaken

I wonder if our fullbacks will transfer unless the staff thinks they are quick enough to be re positioned. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jm

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 12:09:13 pm
I wonder if our fullbacks will transfer unless the staff thinks they are quick enough to be re positioned.

Possibly, but we don't have many that are "fullback only" type guys on the team.

bennyl08

That almost never happens. There is almost always a increased number of players who transfer when there's a coaching change and even moreso when there's a major philosophical change.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jm on January 11, 2018, 12:13:58 pm
Possibly, but we don't have many that are "fullback only" type guys on the team.

Hayden Johnson (I think thats his last name). He could easily move to the H back or LB or DE.

Kendrick Jackson could also move over to the D. I thought when we signed him that's where he was going to play.

Ā 

livevanguy

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 11, 2018, 12:52:36 pm
Hayden Johnson (I think thats his last name). He could easily move to the H back or LB or DE.

Kendrick Jackson could also move over to the D. I thought when we signed him that's where he was going to play.
Johnson is listed as FB/TE. I wonder if he makes the transition to TE full time? I know we are deeper there, but maybe one of the two will have the skills to stay on the offensive side. I haven't seen enough of either to make a call. Just a thought.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

rzrbkman

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 11, 2018, 12:03:59 pm
With the commits we have now, we are already over. So people will for sure be transferring out. Cole Hedlund already gone

Where is the link that announced CH has already transferred?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: livevanguy on January 11, 2018, 01:04:22 pm
Johnson is listed as FB/TE. I wonder if he makes the transition to TE full time? I know we are deeper there, but maybe one of the two will have the skills to stay on the offensive side. I haven't seen enough of either to make a call. Just a thought.
Not sure either are fast or quick enough to play Offense for CCM.  If you listen to the coaches press conferences from the other day they basically said our team is too fat at almost every position.  I don't think they'll for sure know what they have until August.

livevanguy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 01:12:48 pm
Not sure either are fast or quick enough to play Offense for CCM.  If you listen to the coaches press conferences from the other day they basically said our team is too fat at almost every position.  I don't think they'll for sure know what they have until August.
All that Body by Herb got us bogged down. It'll be interesting to see what players are willing to go to any length to slim down and play for CCM by the fall. Either way, I'm pumped for the next season. (*please don't let it be worse than CBB first....it can't get that bad right?)
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

bennyl08

Quote from: livevanguy on January 11, 2018, 01:31:13 pm
All that Body by Herb got us bogged down. It'll be interesting to see what players are willing to go to any length to slim down and play for CCM by the fall. Either way, I'm pumped for the next season. (*please don't let it be worse than CBB first....it can't get that bad right?)

It very well could be worse than CBB's first. Bielema was a head coach for 7 years at wiscy before coming here. Morris has only 8 years total of college experience. Morris is largely a shot in the dark than can go either way.

If you are an optimist, you'll say that he has a lot of good relationships with HS coaches in the region. He has had very successful offenses at Tulsa and Clemson. As a HC at SMU, he was able to bring that program up from either 2 or 3 wins up to 7 wins which since the death penalty, has been a very rare win total to reach. As a recruiter, he is young with a fire in his belly and was able to get Deshaun Watson to Clemson.

If you are a pessimist, you'll note that most of his experience as a coach is just as a HS coach. While his offense was good at Tulsa, he benefited from an experienced roster and that Tulsa had an offense just as productive as Morris's a few years before Morris got there and has been able to have just as good an offense after he left as well. Clemson improved offensively after he left. At SMU, it can very easily be argued that all he did was bring them back up to the mean as his predecessor had built the school up to a bowl level program and there was just a short interlude of them sucking again in between their previous success and Morris's. Further, at each stop he makes, lost yardage plays drastically increase before drastically decreasing again as soon as he leaves. Looking at the recruiting at Clemson while he was there, he wasn't even one of their top 3 recruiters and he was unable to make any significant change to the recruiting at SMU in the three years he was there.

Overall, there's very real reason for optimism as he is almost guaranteed to get us a boost in both yards and points. This is a hire that IMO is just as likely to make Petrino's time here look like amateur hour as it is to make the fans remember Bielema fondly. My own personal opinion in a meh on the hire. Seeing his results, I just can't get excited by the hire as there are just too many red flags for failure. However, also seeing his results, it's illogical to think the hire is a sure fire bad one. The optimism and pessimism basically cancel out and I'm just left in a wait and see mode.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OLEJACKETFAN

Chad will be very successful at Arkansas!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: livevanguy on January 11, 2018, 01:31:13 pm
CBB had better players his first year but isn't a good coach. Remember barely beating Samford  as one of our 3 wins?  I think even with lesser talent CCM will win more than 3 games in year one.

jgphillips3

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on January 11, 2018, 08:40:25 am
Are you guessing this, or have you heard? Let me clarify, have you heard an ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS COACH speak that?

Have they said it directly? No.  However, with current signees we are at either 85 or 86 scholarships and Morris has said he intends to sign 8 more.  So, ipso facto, some guys are going to be moved along.

parallaxpig

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 11, 2018, 01:09:27 pm
Where is the link that announced CH has already transferred?

I believe he graduates in May.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

bennyl08

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 03:08:22 pm
CBB had better players his first year but isn't a good coach. Remember barely beating Samford  as one of our 3 wins?  I think even with lesser talent CCM will win more than 3 games in year one.

The talent on the team right now is ridiculously better than what was on the team heading into 2013. That team had more talent than what Petrino had at his disposal before signing day as well. Petrino did more with less. Bielema did less with more.

Hogs are set up relatively similarly to the '98 season with a loaded roster and a new HC. Will Morris sink or swim his first year? Nobody knows. Heck, he may have lost to Samford in '13 with our talent and may have lost to Coastal Carolina. Time will tell.

Snout team

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 02:39:12 pm
It very well could be worse than CBB's first. Bielema was a head coach for 7 years at wiscy before coming here. Morris has only 8 years total of college experience. Morris is largely a shot in the dark than can go either way.

If you are an optimist, you'll say that he has a lot of good relationships with HS coaches in the region. He has had very successful offenses at Tulsa and Clemson. As a HC at SMU, he was able to bring that program up from either 2 or 3 wins up to 7 wins which since the death penalty, has been a very rare win total to reach. As a recruiter, he is young with a fire in his belly and was able to get Deshaun Watson to Clemson.

If you are a pessimist, you'll note that most of his experience as a coach is just as a HS coach. While his offense was good at Tulsa, he benefited from an experienced roster and that Tulsa had an offense just as productive as Morris's a few years before Morris got there and has been able to have just as good an offense after he left as well. Clemson improved offensively after he left. At SMU, it can very easily be argued that all he did was bring them back up to the mean as his predecessor had built the school up to a bowl level program and there was just a short interlude of them sucking again in between their previous success and Morris's. Further, at each stop he makes, lost yardage plays drastically increase before drastically decreasing again as soon as he leaves. Looking at the recruiting at Clemson while he was there, he wasn't even one of their top 3 recruiters and he was unable to make any significant change to the recruiting at SMU in the three years he was there.

Overall, there's very real reason for optimism as he is almost guaranteed to get us a boost in both yards and points. This is a hire that IMO is just as likely to make Petrino's time here look like amateur hour as it is to make the fans remember Bielema fondly. My own personal opinion in a meh on the hire. Seeing his results, I just can't get excited by the hire as there are just too many red flags for failure. However, also seeing his results, it's illogical to think the hire is a sure fire bad one. The optimism and pessimism basically cancel out and I'm just left in a wait and see mode.

In other words "some will like it some won't"  or "I guarantee you a 50/50 chance we will be good or bad"
;)

I'm just giving you grief.  You actually worded what I have been feeling over the last few days.  Before CCM was hired I was like NO!  Then he was hired and I was like YES!  At his press release yesterday he looked a little overwhelmed like a guy who didn't exactly know what he was getting in to.

I still have confidence he will do well.  I'm concerned that this recruiting class could cause some real issues in years 3 and 4 when he will be judged the harshest.  Hopefully recruiting is good enough between now and then that it will overcome the voids of this class.

And before anyone jumps me for that comment I realize we only have a few slots and that impacts our numbers.  I'm not talking about recruiting rankings.  I'm talking about the apparent lack of development among the retention players.  I hope I am proved wrong.  This year should tell us a lot about that question.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Ā 

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 03:15:43 pm
The talent on the team right now is ridiculously better than what was on the team heading into 2013. That team had more talent than what Petrino had at his disposal before signing day as well. Petrino did more with less. Bielema did less with more.

Hogs are set up relatively similarly to the '98 season with a loaded roster and a new HC. Will Morris sink or swim his first year? Nobody knows. Heck, he may have lost to Samford in '13 with our talent and may have lost to Coastal Carolina. Time will tell.
its hard to say.  HDN was good at getting the most out of other coaches players for a couple years then fell off.  CBB took a few years to reach even mediocrity then crashed and burned.  CBP built his success on the backs of one exceptional instate class.  I'm curious how CCM will be in his first year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

East TN HAWG

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 11, 2018, 03:26:24 pm
its hard to say.  HDN was good at getting the most out of other coaches players for a couple years then fell off.  CBB took a few years to reach even mediocrity then crashed and burned.  CBP built his success on the backs of one exceptional instate class.  I'm curious how CCM will be in his first year.

We reached mediocrity in just one year with Bielema, we just never moved beyond that and then the wheels fell off.

I'm very curious to see what Morris will do as well. He had goos success his first and only year at Tulsa when they had an experienced offense ripe for coordinating as we will have this coming year. He also hit the ground running at Clemson. At SMU when he was the HC, it was more of the Bielema path though he did have some bad injuries his first year.

Iwastherein1969

Why would he leave ?  Who would want that guy ? I've never seen a kicker more inept.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The key phrases is that Chad Morris seems to be totally willing to work at all phases of the program.  Likely got a DC beyond his years of personal experience, meaning a vet DC with a good reputation.  He worked early on to save some of the recruits he wanted.  He rolled a couple that I guess he felt we needed.  HE WORKED. HE PUT OUT ENERGY.  He will be successful most likely just because he will bust his ass to be just that.  Will he often fail, yep, he will.  But every day, he will scramble for success.  He is just build that way. 

rzrbkman

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 11, 2018, 03:10:32 pm
I believe he graduates in May.

So, he is in fact not "already gone" and could be at Arkansas for one more season?

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2018, 04:20:17 pm
The key phrases is that Chad Morris seems to be totally willing to work at all phases of the program.  Likely got a DC beyond his years of personal experience, meaning a vet DC with a good reputation.  He worked early on to save some of the recruits he wanted.  He rolled a couple that I guess he felt we needed.  HE WORKED. HE PUT OUT ENERGY.  He will be successful most likely just because he will bust his ass to be just that.  Will he often fail, yep, he will.  But every day, he will scramble for success.  He is just build that way. 

The press conference yesterday convinced me Chad Morris means business.  He's a good football coach with a vision in the right place at the right time for a lot of reasons.  He has his work cut out for him because of the competition, but I doubt that bothers him.

I'm not ready to predict SEC championships, but I do believe we will look like a different football team immediately.  I also don't think we will see any of the head scratching stuff we saw during Bielema's tenure. Haven't been this excited about the future in many years.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

OLEJACKETFAN

Coach Morris and his Staff will out work anyone Arkansas has ever had! Tremendous energy and passion!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 03:15:43 pm

CBB inherited Wise, Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Tevin Mitchell, Chris Smith, and Jamicheal Winston on defense.   Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Julian horton, Keon hatcher, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison,  Travis Swanson, Kiero Small, and  Jeremy Sprinkle on offense.

That was not a 3-9 Team.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 11, 2018, 04:58:42 pm
Coach Morris and his Staff will out work anyone Arkansas has ever had! Tremendous energy and passion!

This is the absolute key to build Ark back to what it wants to be.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2018, 04:20:17 pm

Thus showing improvement weekly...which is easy to see on the field.

parallaxpig

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 11, 2018, 04:40:07 pm
So, he is in fact not "already gone" and could be at Arkansas for one more season?

After graduation I think he wants to move on with his life. I don't think
football is in his plans.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I expect there to be a couple drop off before spring practices. There will be a few that won't get w/ the program and will piss away their opportunity here.

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

texas tush hog

Where did he go.

racinghog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 02:39:12 pm

Thanks Benny my thought also. I am buying tickets and watching every snap and calling the hogs every Sat. And I hope nobody leaves.

bennyl08

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 05:28:58 pm
CBB inherited Wise, Flowers, Philon, Spaight, Tevin Mitchell, Chris Smith, and Jamicheal Winston on defense.   Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Julian horton, Keon hatcher, Brey Cook, Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison,  Travis Swanson, Kiero Small, and  Jeremy Sprinkle on offense.

That was not a 3-9 Team.

Hence my line about Bielema doing less with more.

Morris inherits even more talent than Bielema did, so hoping that we won't have a throwaway first year under Morris. However, given the significant philosophy change that Morris is bringing and inheriting a team that was part of a lost lockerroom last year, if Morris only wins 3 games this year, I won't be calling for his firing.

lakecityhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:43:08 pm

Morris inherits even more talent than Bielema did, so hoping that we won't have a throwaway first year under Morris. However, given the significant philosophy change that Morris is bringing and inheriting a team that was part of a lost lockerroom last year, if Morris only wins 3 games this year, I won't be calling for his firing.

Benny, the key to this is pretty simple. Which players buy in and improve and which players don't. Let just a handful of the top talent fail to buy in and that can really kill our chances in 2018. If you remember that is exactly what happened to Petrino in year 1. He had 2 or 3 key seniors almost sabotage the season. Didn't he dismiss a couple on the flight home from South Carolina??

Morris desperately needs for guys like Froholdt, Wallace, Rogers, Agim, Guidry and Smith on the lines to step up and lead the others in his direction.

King Kong

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 05:28:58 pm

That was not a 3-9 Team.

Well he didn't inherit Spaight. Previous staff wouldn't offer him because he was too short.

I agree not a 3-9 team. But many of those players had to be developed. Sprinkle was 200lbs when CBB arrived. Keon Hatcher has fumbling and drop issue when CBB first arrived.

I also think you maybe confusing Horton with Herndon. Horton was never very good here

racinghog

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 11, 2018, 07:12:44 pm
Benny, the key to this is pretty simple. Which players buy in and improve and which players don't. Let just a handful of the top talent fail to buy in and that can really kill our chances in 2018. If you remember that is exactly what happened to Petrino in year 1. He had 2 or 3 key seniors almost sabotage the season. Didn't he dismiss a couple on the flight home from South Carolina??

Morris desperately needs for guys like Froholdt, Wallace, Rogers, Agim, Guidry and Smith on the lines to step up and lead the others in his direction.
I agree, I guess we may find out if favorites were played or not.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 06:43:08 pm

I just don't think there's more talent on the roster today than CBB's first year.   Especially the lines.

King Kong

Quote from: racinghog on January 11, 2018, 07:21:38 pm
I agree, I guess we may find out if favorites were played or not.

I can think of no other reason than this that Brian Wallace was on the bench.

Or why O'Grady was not playing a bigger role on offense especially early in the year

King Kong

January 11, 2018, 07:30:19 pm #45 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:52:22 pm by King Kong
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 11, 2018, 07:24:18 pm
I just don't think there's more talent on the roster today than CBB's first year.   Especially the lines.

I agree especially about that Dline. You have to be a really positive person to see potential outside of maybe 3 guys.

The Oline I could see some improvements with a new scheme where teams can't load up the box as easy. A lot of experience there. Bad experience but experience.

I do however think our Skill positions on Offense and we have 2 LB's that are very talent. 2 areas I believe were weak when CBB arrived.

Very ironic considering CBB's history

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2018, 07:17:32 pm
Well he didn't inherit Spaight. Previous staff wouldn't offer him because he was too short.

I agree not a 3-9 team. But many of those players had to be developed. Sprinkle was 200lbs when CBB arrived. Keon Hatcher has fumbling and drop issue when CBB first arrived.

I also think you maybe confusing Horton with Herndon. Horton was never very good here

Yeah, I never caught that. Horton and Herndon were both inherited. Herndon went on to have a bit of an NFL career. Horton was very similar to Drew Morgan, but suffered from playing behind Cobi Hamilton and then having his moment to shine under Smiley and Chaney. Petrino had credited Horton with having arguably the best hands on the team. Had circumstances been different, he could have had a much better career though he wasn't going to make the NFL.

FWIW
Horton: 6' 197, 4.64 (1.64) forty, 16 reps on bench, 33.5" vert, 10'7" broad, 4.39 shuttle, 7.34 3-cone
Morgan: 6' 190, 4.74 (1.62) forty, 10 reps on bench, 30" vert, 9'3" broad, 4.12 shuttle, 6.85 3-cone. *Morgan ran a 4.62 (1.53) forty at the pro day, 4.02 shuttle, and a 6.63 3-cone.

Horton was showed better on the explosion while Morgan had better hips. Similar size and speed though.

#1 STUNNA

anyone see will Graggs tweet last night?

hamsam

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 12, 2018, 09:03:54 am
anyone see will Graggs tweet last night?

Well what did he say?
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008