I miss my kidney stones

lakecityhog

1998   Arkansas   9–3   6–2   T–1st (Western)   L Florida Citrus   17   16
1999   Arkansas   8–4   4–4   3rd (Western)   W Cotton   19   17
2000   Arkansas   6–6   3–5   5th (Western)   L Las Vegas      
2001   Arkansas   7–5   4–4   3rd (Western)   L Cotton      
2002   Arkansas   9–5   5–3   T–1st (Western)   L Music City      
2003   Arkansas   9–4   4–4   4th (Western)   W Independence      
2004   Arkansas   5–6   3–5   3rd (Western)         
2005   Arkansas   4–7   2–6   4th (Western)         
2006   Arkansas   10–4   7–1   1st (Western)   L Capital One   16   15
2007   Arkansas   8–4[n 2]   4–4   3rd (Western)   Cotton[n 2]      
Arkansas:   75–48   42–38

We should ALL miss NUTT!!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 22, 2017, 11:32:11 am
1998   Arkansas   9–3   6–2   T–1st (Western)   L Florida Citrus   17   16
1999   Arkansas   8–4   4–4   3rd (Western)   W Cotton   19   17
2000   Arkansas   6–6   3–5   5th (Western)   L Las Vegas      
2001   Arkansas   7–5   4–4   3rd (Western)   L Cotton      
2002   Arkansas   9–5   5–3   T–1st (Western)   L Music City      
2003   Arkansas   9–4   4–4   4th (Western)   W Independence      
2004   Arkansas   5–6   3–5   3rd (Western)         
2005   Arkansas   4–7   2–6   4th (Western)         
2006   Arkansas   10–4   7–1   1st (Western)   L Capital One   16   15
2007   Arkansas   8–4[n 2]   4–4   3rd (Western)   Cotton[n 2]      
Arkansas:   75–48   42–38

We should ALL miss NUTT!!

I wonder if Nutt would have a similar record in the SEC as it is today.

TrueBlue

Funny that people are like "sheep". Just because a few start a movement to hate Nutt as a coach, everyone follows.

Do I like Nutt as a person, "no". But on the other hand, I don't like Petrino as a person or Nolan as a person. But as far as coaching goes, they are all really good at what they do/did.

SEC Records at Arkansas:
Nutt - 42-38
Bielema - 10-26

Nutt was also 2x SEC coach of the year at Arkansas and made it to the SEC championship game multiple times.

Yes, I wished we had someone I don't like as a person right now......it isn't like I have to have dinner with him and his family.

You can't tell me that you wouldn't take a coach if you knew he would post a 42-38 record and we would go to multiple SEC Championship games. Because if you do, I claim BS.

ricepig

ShadowTheHedgehog

Yeah but when Nutt was here Miss State and Ole Piss were traditionally bad. Auburn was OK, the only tough opposition in the west was Bama and LSU (And Bama was not the same as it is today). Its like all other schools moved up and we moved down.

Gonzo

Can't say I miss Nutt because he is/was who he is, but I do wonder sometimes, as I did then, if his ceiling would have been higher had he managed to keep his ego in check and not worry about the credit, let it take care of itself.

Go Hogs!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Gonzo on October 22, 2017, 11:45:02 am
Can't say I miss Nutt because he is/was who he is, but I do wonder sometimes, as I did then, if his ceiling would have been higher had he managed to keep his ego in check and not worry about the credit, let it take care of itself.

Go Hogs!
Yeah, the ceiling would had been much higher, in particular when Gus was his OC.

Hawginj

I remember the Nutt years vividly. I can remember being overseas settings an alarm for 2 or 3 in the morning to watch my hogs and being  heartbroken before the sun came up. I remember the highs and the lows and there were alot more lows than highs.  It's time for a new regime fresh hungry blood not a retread.

TDHawgs

I remember how people was calling Bielema, "Nutt 2.0"... We could only wish at this point.. turns out he was Nutt 0.2

HotlantaHog

I don't miss Nutt at all.

Huge ego. Lazy. Played favorites. Awful recruiter. Only hired assistants who were yes men or if he got someone good he put them in their place. Had the most talent out of Arkansas and NW Arkansas in years and wasted it.... He was a great cheerleader and would get the troops up for a single game now and then and they would surprise the world, I will give you that.

His talent as a coach was shown when he went to Ole Miss and was a frikkin' disaster.

I'd prefer Danny Ford or Lou Holtz or any number of others including Petrino...

ShadowTheHedgehog

I think it is important to remember why we all (most of us) wanted Nutt to be gone. Why the banners etc. It was the mediocrity. We wanted to take the next step and compete at a higher level. We are not mediocre anymore (mediocre is average) we are plain and simply bad. With this in mind it makes perfect sense to miss the Nutt years (from a win/loss perspective).

Hogvillage Idiot

Well today is National Nut Day.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

hog.goblin

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 22, 2017, 11:44:34 am
Yeah but when Nutt was here Miss State and Ole Piss were traditionally bad. Auburn was OK, the only tough opposition in the west was Bama and LSU (And Bama was not the same as it is today). Its like all other schools moved up and we moved down.

Exactly.  Nutt was an average coach, at best.  Which is significantly better than CBB.  But Nutt was a clown when you put a mic in his face: both in his words and his expressions.  I don't miss him one bit.  We can find a good coach who isn't a clown.

longtimeHogfan

In between visits from my kidney stone I miss it more than hootie. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

razorcash2

"Really good as what he does"....

lakecityhog

"Huge ego. Lazy. Played favorites. Awful recruiter. Only hired assistants who were yes men or if he got someone good he put them in their place. Had the most talent out of Arkansas and NW Arkansas in years and wasted it.... He was a great cheerleader and would get the troops up for a single game now and then and they would surprise the world, I will give you that."

Except for the last sentence a pretty darned good description of our current HC!!!

Lips

I'm not saying I want him back, I just miss feeling like we at least had a chance in every game we played.  Instead of wondering if we'd get to a bowl, discussing WHICH bowl we'd go to.  Sure there were letdowns, but the highs could be really high.  Remember the feeling in 2007 when we knocked off no.1 LSU?  That was amazing.  You think we even get close to sniffing that now?  Not a frickin chance. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 22, 2017, 11:40:45 am
Funny that people are like "sheep". Just because a few start a movement to hate Nutt as a coach, everyone follows.

Do I like Nutt as a person, "no". But on the other hand, I don't like Petrino as a person or Nolan as a person. But as far as coaching goes, they are all really good at what they do/did.

SEC Records at Arkansas:
Nutt - 42-38
Bielema - 10-26

Nutt was also 2x SEC coach of the year at Arkansas and made it to the SEC championship game multiple times.

Yes, I wished we had someone I don't like as a person right now......it isn't like I have to have dinner with him and his family.

You can't tell me that you wouldn't take a coach if you knew he would post a 42-38 record and we would go to multiple SEC Championship games. Because if you do, I claim BS.

Not if he is named Houston Nutt. He was a .500 coach until a couple games got given to us after the fact.

Some of you just don't get it. Nutt didn't live up to the potential that was present for us in the sec at the time he was coach. The sec West wasn' built yet. Saban had built LSU and left for Miami. Auburn was bipolar. Miss St and Ole Miss were sad sacks. Bama had Francione and Shula.

Meanwhile we had Matt Jones and Dmac and the best we could do was .500 with a two year pass to be awful in with that time?

No, just no.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 22, 2017, 11:39:44 am
I wonder if Nutt would have a similar record in the SEC as it is today.
The SEC is worse than when Nutt was the coach.

ballz2thewall

a friend on mine, "fred", was super critical of nutt's mannerisms on the sidelines well before it was fodder for comment on hogville.

i never really cared much about it, but fred would go on and on about it whether we won the game or not.

leap past petrino...........fred got a rise out of petrino cussing the players.

when cbb got here fred was back to his critical commentary. this time i agreed with him. after several games fred started calling cbb gary coleman "whatcyoutalkingboutwillis" based on cbb's constant dumbfounded look. one of the guys at the coffee shop had a great comment that complimented fred's observations; he said that cbb looks like a drone pilot. "jimmy" made the drone pilot comparison.

to each his own. whatever you do when you're winning or competing; no one really cares.

in keeping with the fred/jimmy theme, houston nutt was involved in the game as a coach

i have yet to see that from cbb in going on 5 years. it's my theme of the day, having mentioned the dreaded headset in other threads. last night picked the scab once again.

my conclusion is that the man, himself, does not coach the players or the team. at best he is a drone pilot. it is more likely that he's the colonel that monitors the drone pilots.

kudos to fred and jimmy.
The rest of the frog.

Sweet Feet

Those saying no and hate hootie would rather be mediocre and bitch about it than be decent.

In his 5th year, he had us in the SECCG with 9 wins. Where is Bert getting us in his 5th year? A reservation for Lake Maumelle in December? Trash.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 22, 2017, 12:20:04 pm

So you don't thing the improvement of Miss State, Ole Piss, Auburn, the last few years, BAMA under Saban (The addition of TAMU with the consequences in recruiting and the neutral site games) etc. has not made the SEC for Arkansas harder?

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 22, 2017, 12:20:04 pm

no....it isn't. this year is a down year but it is consistently better; particularly the west.
The rest of the frog.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 22, 2017, 12:26:12 pm
Those saying no and hate hootie would rather be mediocre and bitch about it than be decent.

In his 5th year, he had us in the SECCG with 9 wins. Where is Bert getting us in his 5th year? A reservation for Lake Maumelle in December? Trash.

Nutt was mediocre!!!

That Championship game you are bragging about only happened because the team that actually won our division wasn't eligible to play!

You may like sloppy seconds but most of us are repulsed at the idea.

Mr. Porkleone

Nutt has thinnest skin of all. He was sub par

hulk hog

When Nutt was here the East ruled the SEC. All you need to do is look at his record against the East especially in Fayetteville. No thanks. His coach king carrrt is filled with occasional elation followed by monumental disappointments. 
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Atlhogfan1

SEC Records at Arkansas:
Nutt - 42-38
Bielema - 10-26

Little different getting to the SEC CG now than the Nutt era especially the season we got in with Bama ineligible.  I don't want Nutt or a coach like him again no matter how miserably Bielema is failing.  Talk about settling.  Let's hire another coach who goes years without winning a game in October. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: Lips on October 22, 2017, 11:28:22 am
Like, I really do.....

Yes, the SEC-W was at it's peak while HDN was our coach.

Sarcasm off.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Pigsknuckles

October 22, 2017, 01:08:11 pm #31 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:46:00 pm by Pigsknuckles
Quote from: lakecityhog on October 22, 2017, 12:07:30 pm
"Huge ego. Lazy. Played favorites. Awful recruiter. Only hired assistants who were yes men or if he got someone good he put them in their place. Had the most talent out of Arkansas and NW Arkansas in years and wasted it.... He was a great cheerleader and would get the troops up for a single game now and then and they would surprise the world, I will give you that."

Except for the last sentence a pretty darned good description of our current HC!!!

LOL!!! Was thinking the same thing about halfway though the first line of your post. Last night the only think I could think about was that he ran off the very coach that was puttting half a hundred on us.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Seebs

.. is like saying you miss testicular cancer
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

1highhog

Like, I really do.....

This is as low as I've felt as a hog fan since 1969, and I still don't miss Houston dale nutt.

hog.goblin

What was Nutt's record against the East?  That's where the good teams were in his tenure.  I'll give you a hint, it ain't pretty.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 22, 2017, 12:41:36 pm
Nutt was mediocre!!!

That Championship game you are bragging about only happened because the team that actually won our division wasn't eligible to play!

You may like sloppy seconds but most of us are repulsed at the idea.

in his 5th year, Nutt beat 2 teams ranked at gametime and 2 who finished in the top 15. Who has Bielema beat so far in his 5th year? I'll wait...

Nutt had 2 9-win seasons, 2 AP finishes, and a 39-23 overall record in his first 5 years. Bielema is currently 27-31, and has never finished in the Top 25 in his 5 seasons.

So continue to act like Nutt was no better than Bielema. Straight delusional and denial by a lot of our fans. It's one thing to not like him. It's another to act like he wasn't that successful just because you don't like him.

porkurina

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Like, I really do.....

This was my biggest fear with the whole HDN situation. Bad Karma. The fact that people who hated him thought it OK to force an assistant on him and then to blame him for the fact that it didn't work. To call him dork, dick with a whistle, doofas, nut, nuttster, stupidest coach alive etc... To insinuate that he was the dumbest human alive who lucked into his job and then to get mad when he stoops to the same level and professes, "I called that play brother!"..  Basically the steps that were taken to deface him are now being used to keep another guy in position too long. No deals, no passes. Just let CBB go and let's finally move on with a clean slate. Stop forcing the school's hand like a bunch of spoiled 5 yr olds. Dude is gone, let him go...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 03:01:15 pm
This was my biggest fear with the whole HDN situation. Bad Karma. The fact that people who hated him thought it OK to force an assistant on him and then to blame him for the fact that it didn't work. To call him dork, dick with a whistle, doofas, nut, nuttster, stupidest coach alive etc... To insinuate that he was the dumbest human alive who lucked into his job and then to get mad when he stoops to the same level and professes, "I called that play brother!"..  Basically the steps that were taken to deface him are now being used to keep another guy in position too long. No deals, no passes. Just let CBB go and let's finally move on with a clean slate. Stop forcing the school's hand like a bunch of spoiled 5 yr olds. Dude is gone, let him go...

What steps are being taken to keep Bielema? 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

longtimeHogfan

CBB is a decent guy that hasn't been able to make it in the SEC-W. 

Hootie is a slime ball that had a modicum of success in OOC games while compiling a .500 record in conference play.   

I hope Bret finds success with his next gig.

I hope hootie never sees a field again anywhere. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 03:04:53 pm
What steps are being taken to keep Bielema? 

I pray none, and I quoted the wrong post; but Nutt and company dug in due to rabble rousing. CBB will either go on his own or be forced out, and none of these posts will have anything to do with it. I guess I'm more worried about us embarrassing ourselves again than anything else...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 22, 2017, 03:38:21 pm
I pray none, and I quoted the wrong post; but Nutt and company dug in due to rabble rousing. CBB will either go on his own or be forced out, and none of these posts will have anything to do with it. I guess I'm more worried about us embarrassing ourselves again than anything else...

We will.  But other fan bases will try to embarrass themselves as well.  Good thing is unless someone goes PRJ we won't get the attention. 

1highhog

October 22, 2017, 03:54:12 pm #42 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:36:48 pm by 1highhog

SEC Records at Arkansas:
Nutt - 42-38
Bielema - 10-26

Multiple championship games?  Okay, you and I have different ideas of what multiple times are.  Was Bama the Alabama of today's SEC during Nutts time as Coach?  No, in fact, Bama was on probation during some of Nutts coaching career.

TrueBlue

Quote from: 1highhog on October 22, 2017, 03:54:12 pm
Multiple championship games?  Okay, you and I have different ideas of what multiple times are.  Was Bama the Alabama of today's SEC during Nutts tune as Coach?  No, in fact, Bama was on probation during some of Nutts coaching career.

LOL!! - Nutt coached the games given to him. Face it, he is a better coach, if you don't think so then you are sorely misinformed.

But, you're right, I am wrong.

I hope you love YOUR coach now. You deserve him. I hope he gets an extension for your sake. 

HoggyCat

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 22, 2017, 11:59:04 am
I don't miss Nutt at all.

Huge ego. Lazy. Played favorites. Awful recruiter. Only hired assistants who were yes men or if he got someone good he put them in their place. Had the most talent out of Arkansas and NW Arkansas in years and wasted it.... He was a great cheerleader and would get the troops up for a single game now and then and they would surprise the world, I will give you that.

His talent as a coach was shown when he went to Ole Miss and was a frikkin' disaster.

I'd prefer Danny Ford or Lou Holtz or any number of others including Petrino...

So basically, there's nothing to miss since  Nutt had/did everything bert does ....except the conference win %.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

NuttinItUp

Nutt  was better than this clown

solitons

I remember we went to Auburn, and beat them, they were ranked 2nd in the nation;
another great game, we beat LSU, they were ranked 1st in the nation,
HDN is a genius sometimes, so much excitement brought to us, and beat UK in 8 OTs, of course, he lost some bad games

solitons

Quote from: solitons on October 22, 2017, 08:14:35 pm
I remember we went to Auburn, and beat them, they were ranked 2nd in the nation;
another great game, we beat LSU at their home, they were ranked 1st in the nation,
HDN is a genius sometimes, so much excitement brought to us, and beat UK in 8 OTs, of course, he lost some bad games

acey33

Paul

Humans have selective memory because it acts as a defense mechanism which spares us trauma.