Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Texas: Merged

Started by cypress rock, March 11, 2018, 07:37:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cypress rock

Let's get it started. Go Hogs Best Texas!

Pig Mania

Pig Mania

First and foremost..... ::hornsdown::

Texas is coming into Baum this week with a 9-7 record and riding a 3-game losing streak. I know this is one a lot of our fans will want to win in a bad way just on name alone. Hopefully the night game on Tuesday can get a big crowd.

a few stats in comparison to your ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS:
Horns BA: .266    Hogs BA .302
Horns HR's: 11    Hogs: 24
Horns ERA: 4.56  Hogs: 2.17
Horns have slight fielding % edge...0.975 vs 0.969
Horns series of note: won 2 of 3 vs ULL, took a Sunday game @LSU, won 3 of 4 vs Northwestern, won just 1 of 4 vs Stanford

We appear better in most measurements but obviously who knows what will happen in baseball. Lets hope the Porkers knock them around a bit

swineology

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball predicted a sweep by the Hogs in the Top 25 chat last week mainly due to how much deeper we are on the mound.  Even some of our lesser used arms such as Kostyshock and Vermillion still work 90-94.

I don't think Rutledge threw this weekend, or threw much, so he should be good to go for a couple of innings on Tuesday in relief of Murphy.

Pig Mania

Yes  it's nice to have good arms even in the midweek rotation. I hope we can convert some of these men left on base into more runs. Also would be nice for Dom to get going while we head into SEC play. UK looks to be no joke this year.

::hornsdown::

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 11, 2018, 08:44:47 pm
Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball predicted a sweep by the Hogs in the Top 25 chat last week mainly due to how much deeper we are on the mound.  Even some of our lesser used arms such as Kostyshock and Vermillion still work 90-94.

I don't think Rutledge threw this weekend, or threw much, so he should be good to go for a couple of innings on Tuesday in relief of Murphy.

I have been out of the loop - why didn't murphy start today?

Pudgepork

Come'on Hogs.  Win this series for the old fuddies.   The young don't realize how strongly the emotions burn playing texas

SPAL

Quote from: dotnet on March 11, 2018, 09:43:45 pm

Saved him for texas

Pudgepork

Quote from: dotnet on March 11, 2018, 09:43:45 pm

Murphy has been in midseason form and CDVH knows what beating Texas means and saved Murphy for Tuesday would be my guess

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 11, 2018, 09:48:40 pm
Saved him for texas
I don't think it was really saving him for Texas.  DVH hates to lose weekend series more than midweek games.  Bonnin had thrown well so far this year so getting his feet wet as a weekend starter which is his future here at Arkansas.  He did well today when throwing strikes.  Would like to see him do a better job of holding his velo, but that will come with experience.

It is a good problem to have to be able to go with a combo of Murphy and Rutledge on a Tuesday game.  Cronin also did not throw much, but we also can't have our top arms out of the pen throw too much with Kentucky next weekend.

dotnet

I'm sure Cronin will throw a couple of innings on Tuesday, and probably sit on Wednesday.

I really liked Bonnin starting.  However, if you want to win weekend series, it probably makes the most sense to have him coming down as another shut down guy out of the bullpen.

I guess the value of that really depends on how Rutledge, Kostyshock, and Reindl do.  If they can come through at the same rate they have (or did last year in Reindl's case), then it makes sense to let Bonnin start the mid week games (tech, missouri state, etc) 

BroyledNutts

You guys know the tune, sing it with me !!!

Version 1:
Texas bite, Texas bite, Texas jump up and bite my a**...
Texas bite, Texas bite, Texas jump up and bite my a** ...
Bite and chew, Bite and chew, Texas bite my a** and chew ...
Jump up and bite my a**!

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

Version 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKSsA_bOpM&index=2&list=PLVSWXOkms-G9Y1uiG9t_Dw7QxpEEo_L0g

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on March 11, 2018, 10:02:41 pm
I'm sure Cronin will throw a couple of innings on Tuesday, and probably sit on Wednesday.

I really liked Bonnin starting.  However, if you want to win weekend series, it probably makes the most sense to have him coming down as another shut down guy out of the bullpen.

I guess the value of that really depends on how Rutledge, Kostyshock, and Reindl do.  If they can come through at the same rate they have (or did last year in Reindl's case), then it makes sense to let Bonnin start the mid week games (tech, missouri state, etc)
With Cronin and Rutledge, I guess it really depends when DVH plans to throw them on the weekend and how long he wants them to go against Texas.  I could see DVH riding Murphy for 6, Rutledge for 1-2, and Cronin for 1-2 on Tuesday.  Wednesday, I would have to guess Bolden gets the ball to start out and we see Milligan, Reindl (an inning), Scroggins, Kostyshock, Ramage, and Vermiliion all ready to take the ball.

swineology

Why couldn't Weston Rogers throw on Wednesday?

Tuck Fexass!

Pig Mania

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 11, 2018, 10:02:51 pm
You guys know the tune, sing it with me !!!

Version 1:
Texas bite, Texas bite, Texas jump up and bite my a**...
Bite and chew, Bite and chew, Texas bite my a** and chew ...
Jump up and bite my a**!

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

Version 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crKSsA_bOpM&index=2&list=PLVSWXOkms-G9Y1uiG9t_Dw7QxpEEo_L0g

;D lol
Here's another classic for this week.
Craig O'Neil "Texass" prank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgTjfSZJfOc

ucahogfan

Quote from: swineology on March 11, 2018, 10:25:34 pm
Why couldn't Weston Rogers throw on Wednesday?

Tuck Fexass!

Because he has yet to throw this year and I haven't heard anything about him being hurt.  I think DVH said that everyone who pitched in the Bucknell series will be the people to see action this year.  Or it could have been position players. I just think players who,don't throw the first quarter of the season probably won't see any action unless they were hurt.

rolyat_2008

Rogers and Denton, are they redshirting or what is their standing on the roster?

ThisTeetsTaken

If for no other reason than their RPI is terrible.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Republican Lard

Bringing a party of 4 from Texarkana.  3 Arkansas High  1 Texas High

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 11, 2018, 09:51:14 pm
I don't think it was really saving him for Texas.  DVH hates to lose weekend series more than midweek games.  Bonnin had thrown well so far this year so getting his feet wet as a weekend starter which is his future here at Arkansas.  He did well today when throwing strikes.  Would like to see him do a better job of holding his velo, but that will come with experience.

It is a good problem to have to be able to go with a combo of Murphy and Rutledge on a Tuesday game.  Cronin also did not throw much, but we also can't have our top arms out of the pen throw too much with Kentucky next weekend.

Not disagreeing with you but does it make a lot of logical sense for us to throw a frosh with limited experience, albeit good innings, on Sunday or a guy that has proven to be effective as a starter with experience in postseason play and a no hit bif a year ago if you hate to lose weekend series more than midweek. ?

It would seem to me that you would throw the more proven guy Sunday if that's the case.

PintailKiller

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

jbell96

Texas is 9-7, but they've played some tough nonconference opponents, most notably LSU and Stanford, so we'll need to be at our best to beat them this week.

hogwild04

Bonnin was the 4th Sunday Starter, think it was getting him some experience.  Doubt he will end up the regular on Sunday, but by his numbers he pretty much matches Murphy evenly,  Murphy has given up more hits and less Ks than Bonnin, with 1 less walk, but difference is runs, Bonnin given up 2 ER, Murphy none, but if Bonnin could had finished the inning that had 2 outs he may have 0, or he may of gotten 4 who knows.  This is compared to Murphy's 10 innings and Bonnin's 11 innings.  So the biggest difference is the experience at this level.  I would prefer Bonnin be the mid week starter this year and he will be the guy next year and the following, but if he keeps improving hard to keep him out of the Sunday Slot, but that is said about all of them.  Murphy has been lights out, so to me after Texas, the Sunday starter should be his, but like all, have to work to keep it. This is a good dilemma to have.  When evenly matched, experience is the tie breaker.

TebowHater

March 12, 2018, 06:12:06 pm #25 Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:29:15 pm by TebowHater
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 11, 2018, 09:48:40 pm
Saved him for texas

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 11, 2018, 09:51:14 pm

I actually think it was largely independent of beating Texas or Kent State.

DVH said in one of his press conferences early last week that there were a couple other guys (he named Bonnin, Rutledge) who he wanted to try in the weekend rotation, but that we were quickly running out of time before conference play and he wouldn't want to have to try a new Sunday starter out in conference. No matter who he thought was the best, he said he was going to give someone new the start on Sunday simply for experience and/or to see what they can do, if nothing else.

swineology

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 11, 2018, 10:32:51 pm
Because he has yet to throw this year and I haven't heard anything about him being hurt.  I think DVH said that everyone who pitched in the Bucknell series will be the people to see action this year.  Or it could have been position players. I just think players who,don't throw the first quarter of the season probably won't see any action unless they were hurt.

Thanks for the update UCA

Hope the kid isn't injured, Lord knows we need all good arms to make a run.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 12, 2018, 09:09:35 am
Not disagreeing with you but does it make a lot of logical sense for us to throw a frosh with limited experience, albeit good innings, on Sunday or a guy that has proven to be effective as a starter with experience in postseason play and a no hit bif a year ago if you hate to lose weekend series more than midweek. ?

It would seem to me that you would throw the more proven guy Sunday if that's the case.
Said frosh is also one of the most talented freshmen the country with a fastball which touches 96-97 (touched 95 early on yesterday) and a wipeout slider.  The raw stuff is one of the best on the staff.  Murphy has been effective as a starter against some good teams, but it is also mainly in midweek action.

Sure, you might go with the proven guy, but DVH also could see the scouting report which might have said they light up LHPs and struggle with velo.

ucahogfan

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 12, 2018, 12:10:15 am
Rogers and Denton, are they redshirting or what is their standing on the roster?
Probably redshirting at best.  It is rare to see experienced players like them redshirt with a future here unless they are injured or transferred in.  They were also the only two returning pitchers with an ERA over 4.21 in 2017 for players with at least 10 IP.  Both Kostyshock and Campbell had ERAs over 4.21, but Kostyshock threw 5.1 IP and Campbell threw 0.2 IP.  I think Denton adds a nice mix being a sidewinder, but we also have a lot of talented arms seeing action this year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogwild04 on March 12, 2018, 03:47:17 pm
Bonnin was the 4th Sunday Starter, think it was getting him some experience.  Doubt he will end up the regular on Sunday, but by his numbers he pretty much matches Murphy evenly,  Murphy has given up more hits and less Ks than Bonnin, with 1 less walk, but difference is runs, Bonnin given up 2 ER, Murphy none, but if Bonnin could had finished the inning that had 2 outs he may have 0, or he may of gotten 4 who knows.  This is compared to Murphy's 10 innings and Bonnin's 11 innings.  So the biggest difference is the experience at this level.  I would prefer Bonnin be the mid week starter this year and he will be the guy next year and the following, but if he keeps improving hard to keep him out of the Sunday Slot, but that is said about all of them.  Murphy has been lights out, so to me after Texas, the Sunday starter should be his, but like all, have to work to keep it. This is a good dilemma to have.  When evenly matched, experience is the tie breaker.
Thank you for filling me in.  Bonnin's raw stuff is superior to Murphy's, but like you said, Murphy has the experience factor working in his favor.  It is a good problem to have with so many good arms.

ucahogfan

Quote from: swineology on March 12, 2018, 09:02:19 pm
Thanks for the update UCA

Hope the kid isn't injured, Lord knows we need all good arms to make a run.
But where does he fit in on this staff?  We have thrown 16 different pitchers this year and I don't think it is a stretch to say that all 16 will be drafted some day.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 12, 2018, 09:46:03 pm
Probably redshirting at best.  It is rare to see experienced players like them redshirt with a future here unless they are injured or transferred in.  They were also the only two returning pitchers with an ERA over 4.21 in 2017 for players with at least 10 IP.  Both Kostyshock and Campbell had ERAs over 4.21, but Kostyshock threw 5.1 IP and Campbell threw 0.2 IP.  I think Denton adds a nice mix being a sidewinder, but we also have a lot of talented arms seeing action this year.

They are still listed here among the 40 on the roster.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-basebl/roster/

By my calculations the five redshirting are Disher, Ripp, Nesbit, Drake and McClain.

That would leave the 35 roster total, well 34 with Kopps - TJ.

revolution

skinnypig

TexasDad

Quote from: revolution on March 13, 2018, 08:51:49 am
What a pretty sight!

LoL, I get hating the Longhorns (although I have one that went to school there), but don't alienate 38% of the Hog's roster... lol! 

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 12, 2018, 09:39:05 pm
Said frosh is also one of the most talented freshmen the country with a fastball which touches 96-97 (touched 95 early on yesterday) and a wipeout slider.  The raw stuff is one of the best on the staff.  Murphy has been effective as a starter against some good teams, but it is also mainly in midweek action.

Sure, you might go with the proven guy, but DVH also could see the scouting report which might have said they light up LHPs and struggle with velo.

Yeah, I def see your point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Just trying to think.like DVH.

Pig Mania

Just got here and the orange is already making me sick ::hornsdown:: :puke:

Pudgepork

TeX who???     Never heard of her.  Go Hogs!

Bogghawg

There is nothing like beating Texas - any sport, any time, anywhere. ::hornsdown::
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

jvanhorn

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 13, 2018, 09:49:37 pm
There is nothing like beating Texas - any sport, any time, anywhere. ::hornsdown::

Don't worry.  There is a lot of other stuff they don't understand either.

Knot2brite

I am over 45...I understand exactly what it means to beat Texas. I don't root for any Texas teams in any level of sports because it is Texas and one jist does not  root for Texas in anything
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dr. Starcs

I'm under 45, but my dad raised me right. I cannot stand burnt orange.

WPS

Bogghawg

I used to have a T shirt that said "I am for two teams: Arkansas and whoever is playing Texas".
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

War Boar

I'm under 45.  My dad raised me to hate all things wronghorn.  ::hornsdown::  Go Hogs!!!

P.S.  We need our Hog emote back.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 13, 2018, 10:01:14 pm
I am over 45...I understand exactly what it means to beat Texas. I don't root for any Texas teams in any level of sports because it is Texas and one jist does not  root for Texas in anything
exactly!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cypress rock

Just got home from the game.....what a way to end the day!
Go Hogs!!!

TeufelHog

I'm over 45 and understand as well -BUT- it's time to leave the past in the past and turn our "collective hate" on Mizzou.  In all sports!

micali

I hate Texas! I'm 43 and that was something I was born to do.

Pig Mania

Quote from: cypress rock on March 13, 2018, 10:18:32 pm
Just got home from the game.....what a way to end the day!
Go Hogs!!!
Absolutely.  The icing on the cake was the wronghorn "team" had to look at about a hundred  ::hornsdown::'s from Hog fans while some old geezer sung their fight song to them. It was pretty funny

bphi11ips

If you were born in Arkansas and are over 35 you should know.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.