Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I know the sky isn't falling

Started by Sho Nuff, February 26, 2018, 10:20:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

But what do you think has caused the lackluster play in San Diego?  I know the talent is there and I believe in DVH and his staff, but I'm a little concerned based on what I saw this weekend.  What are your thoughts?

dbhog

Mental and physical errors (mostly by the freshman) caused the two losses.  As I stated in another post, I think our players have been taught to take upper cut swings (like the major leagues) and that did not play well in SD State's big ballpark.  We had a lot of fly balls which would have been homers in Baum.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: dbhog on February 26, 2018, 10:25:58 am
Mental and physical errors (mostly by the freshman) caused the two losses.  As I stated in another post, I think our players have been taught to take upper cut swings (like the major leagues) and that did not play well in SD State's big ballpark.  We had a lot of fly balls which would have been homers in Baum.

Right on target.  February is a good time for freshmen to work through the jitters. 

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Sho Nuff on February 26, 2018, 10:20:34 am
But what do you think has caused the lackluster play in San Diego?  I know the talent is there and I believe in DVH and his staff, but I'm a little concerned based on what I saw this weekend.  What are your thoughts?

1. First real competition of the season
2. Hogs were the highest-ranked team in San Diego, so everyone naturally targeted them
3. Longest road trip (1,500 miles) of the season
4. Shifting strike zones of home-plate umpires
5. Cool conditions; hitters tend to warm up as the weather does
6. In night games, the marine layer and resulting heavy air kept several home runs in the park

The defensive problems were troubling, but I trust that the Hogs will clean up those lapses.  Eight of the 10 errors this year have been committed by freshmen or relatively inexperienced players like Evan Lee.  Right now, my biggest concern is Keaton McKinney's health—I haven't heard why he didn't start yesterday.  My hope is that DVH and Johnson are just being cautious with him.

SPAL

Quote from: Wisco Pig on February 26, 2018, 10:53:17 am
1. First real competition of the season
2. Hogs were the highest-ranked team in San Diego, so everyone naturally targeted them
3. Longest road trip (1,500 miles) of the season
4. Shifting strike zones of home-plate umpires
5. Cool conditions; hitters tend to warm up as the weather does
6. In night games, the marine layer and resulting heavy air kept several home runs in the park

The defensive problems were troubling, but I trust that the Hogs will clean up those lapses.  Eight of the 10 errors this year have been committed by freshmen or relatively inexperienced players like Evan Lee.  Right now, my biggest concern is Keaton McKinney's health—I haven't heard why he didn't start yesterday.  My hope is that DVH and Johnson are just being cautious with him.

Good post Wisco. Pretty much sums it up.

Kevin

Dayton probably will not challenge the hogs, but the usc series could be telling
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

philiphog

Football and basketball don't have the proven coach that DVH is. You have to understand that DVH throws Freshmen into early games so he knows what he has come conference play. It kills us every time we lose and make no mistake DVH hates losing more than we do, but he cares more about conference games than these early games.

That being said, there are a handful of players that will need to work on their approach at the plate.

HogFansReunited

We will be fine, the kids just flew half way across the country and played teams in their back yard. It is early in the season and I can honestly say that we lost both games because of mental mistakes that will get corrected as the season goes on. I saw way more positives this weekend than negatives.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

rmcchris

Simple answer in my books. We faced very good arms and just much better pitching overall. Freshman defensive errors and ball not carrying as mentioned.  Good baseball out West and they are in mid-season form with weather to play a lot year round.  We will be OK

Davidr295

These early tournaments don't mean anything. Remember two years ago we went and crushed it at the Houston tournament ; I'm sure we all remember what happened the rest of the season.

Warrior Way 22

This is going to be a great season. Although I hate losing as much as anybody, I think we can all agree that early season, non-conference losses are much better than middle to late season conference losses. We probably got those teams best efforts and still had chances to win both of those losses.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

bhogs05

I think we will be fine, but am anxious to see how we play this week and weekend.  I think the bats will get going especially at home and the young guys will settle down and start playing better in the field as well.  Hopefully we can go 4-1 these next 5 games. 

LJHOG

Baseball be that way sometimes.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

I think everyone in this thread hit the nail on the head regarding last weeks road trip. Just to piggy back on this topic. Think back to last year at the Frisco Tournament. Started the year 6-0 then it quickly turned to a 7-2 start. If we win today we will be exactly where we were a year ago record wise. However, after the Frisco Tournament ended we were 8-3 before that team turned on the jets for an overall great regular season.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 26, 2018, 08:44:09 pm
These early tournaments don't mean anything. Remember two years ago we went and crushed it at the Houston tournament ; I'm sure we all remember what happened the rest of the season.
[/b]

+1...and ouch!