Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RELOADING vs. Rebuilding

Started by want2be, November 29, 2010, 03:46:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

In 3 years, Petrino has taken us from thinking about rebuilding to seeing the reloading process. As long as Bobby stays I do not think we will have a down year like we saw at Ol Ms, Fla, Texas, etc. this year. After seeing how Texas performed this year, it is clearly not all about stars.

Just over 20 seniors will graduate and that will leave us with approximately 20 juniors, 20 sophs, 20 frosh, and a great incoming class. That is great balance.

Our depth and talent at almost every position has increased. We are playing fewer freshmen each year and Petrino has been able to make some valuable redshirts.

It took a while for the players to catch on and buy into WR's defense and they are at the level where they can react without thinking.

I doubt there is another college that has the depth and talent we have at QB's and Receivers. Coach K has proven his worth with the Oline and the talent will continue to be recruited there.

I think Petrino has embraced the fan base, the state, his relationship with the AD, and his ability to recruit to Arkansas. We need to perform the facility updates and make sure he keeps his assistant coach's salaries competitive. He has good incentives with his salary, but we may need to increase it enough to keep him on pace.

Razorfox

Agreed.  It's an exciting time. 

I do think "down years" are still possible just because of unforseen circumstances out of anyone's control, but I don't believe they will be losing seasons from now on. 

want2be

Quote from: Razorfox on November 29, 2010, 04:00:10 pm

I do think "down years" are still possible just because of unforseen circumstances out of anyone's control, but I don't believe they will be losing seasons from now on. 

Losing coordinators and a large senior class may have hurt Fla. this year. I also don't think Meyer had the "get up and go" he used to have.Not so sure why Texas was down so much.

I think Petrino knows the importance of balancing his classes in numbers so losing too many seniors doesn't effect so much.

He is also pays so much attention to all facits of the game, he should be able to "train up" assistants in a better manner than the head coachs who are more figure heads.

TexHog188

I think there is always the possibility of down years, even with quality recruiting.  In the SEC you have to have some breaks along the way as well.  Florida and Texas are good examples of teams that recruit well, but are down.  Could be coaching losses or just missing on key recruits, but it's hard to stay on top every year.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

majp51

Quote from: Razorfox on November 29, 2010, 04:00:10 pm

The good news though is that Petrino seems to be pushing us in a direction where 7-5 regular season is the "down" year.

Although lets see a couple more years of "good" bowls, before we get caught up in the OSU/UF mindset.