Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Jones on Arkansas Recruiting

Started by bphi11ips, March 22, 2018, 08:01:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

steveaustin69

There is nothing groundbreaking with that article. You're telling me Arkansas' best teams included the best our state had and others from neighboring metros? No way.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rtr

I remember the late great Orville Henry that said Arkansas had to recruit the state of Arkansas, Texas, Tulsa, N. Louisiana, Kansas City, St. Louis, Missisippi and Memphis. Sure recruit nationally, but that should be bonus not your bread and butter.  Great post bphi11ps.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:09:38 am
There is nothing groundbreaking with that article. You're telling me Arkansas' best teams included the best our state had and others from neighboring metros? No way.

Find the word "groundbreaking" in my post.

steveaustin69

rhames

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:09:38 am

Did you know that 99% of the time Arkansas scores more points in a game than their opposition,  they win?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawgon

It's an article that tells us exactly what a lot of us were telling you over the last five years.  Bielema didn't understand Arkansas and he didn't understand how to recruit at Arkansas.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 08:44:55 am
It's an article that tells us exactly what a lot of us were telling you over the last five years.  Bielema didn't understand Arkansas and he didn't understand how to recruit at Arkansas.

Not quite sure why you say "you".  If you knew anything about what I've said here myself for years, it's exactly the same thing.

bphi11ips

steveaustin69

Quote from: rhames on March 22, 2018, 08:25:21 am

Did you know that 99% of the time Arkansas scores more points in a game than their opposition,  they win?

You can't lose games in the NFL and still win - Trent Dilfer - bphi11ips

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 08:44:55 am

I agree. Bielema never understood Arkansas or how to recruit here.  Since joining the SEC we have averaged about 25th nationally in recruiting, but that was when we had coaches like Nutt, and  Petrino who understood Arkansas recruiting.  Just take a look at Bielema's pitiful recruiting class rankings.  Not counting this year since he got fired:   27th 23rd 22nd 23rd.  I don't know what that averages out to, but it can't be anywhere near out historical average recruiting class ranking. that's why Bielema had to go.  He couldn't recruit to Arkansas the way previous coaches could     

hawgon

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 22, 2018, 08:48:09 am
Not quite sure why you say "you".  If you knew anything about what I've said here myself for years, it's exactly the same thing.

Because "you" is the proper pronoun when speaking to a group in general.  And this board would be considered a group in general.

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on March 22, 2018, 09:28:23 am
I agree. Bielema never understood Arkansas or how to recruit here.  Since joining the SEC we have averaged about 25th nationally in recruiting, but that was when we had coaches like Nutt, and  Petrino who understood Arkansas recruiting.  Just take a look at Bielema's pitiful recruiting class rankings.  Not counting this year since he got fired:   27th 23rd 22nd 23rd.  I don't know what that averages out to, but it can't be anywhere near out historical average recruiting class ranking. that's why Bielema had to go.  He couldn't recruit to Arkansas the way previous coaches could   

And how many of those Florida players were busts and/or went home?  And how did those recruiting classes translate in the field?  How would Bielema's classes fair when they do those deals where they go back and re-rank the classes based on performance on the field?  I remember one of Petrino's ranking as high as #5 in one of those deals.

rhames

Do you not know how to do an average? Sorry. Not trying to sound like a jerk.

Also not trying to defend Bret.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 09:29:20 am
Because “you” is the proper pronoun when speaking to a group in general.  And this board would be considered a group in general.

Thanks for the clarification.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 09:33:35 am
And how many of those Florida players were busts and/or went home?  And how did those recruiting classes translate in the field?  How would Bielema's classes fair when they do those deals where they go back and re-rank the classes based on performance on the field?  I remember one of Petrino's ranking as high as #5 in one of those deals.

The point being made was that Bielema didn't recruit well to Arkansas.  If you want to argue that he didn't develop them well, didn't utilize them right didn't keep them on campus etc then that is a different argument.  By any objective measure he recruited as well to Arkansas as anyone has. This argument that he didn't "understand" Arkansas or how to recruit here, is a lazy argument and doesn't really look at the reality of why he failed as the coach here.

clew

One of the nuanced points in the article is that kids from closer by are more likely to make it culturally, which in turn makes them more likely to stay as long as they're eligible.  Highly rated recruits that get home sick or never live up to their potential due to attitude, etc., don't do a team as much good as an above average player from nearby that has time to develop.  I'm not advocating for taking less skilled players because they're local, but I am saying it's a delicate balancing act a coach has to perform because they're so limited by how many they can sign in a class.  It was much easier to handle misses on recruits when you could sign 30 the next spring. 
Pure as the dawn

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: rhames on March 22, 2018, 09:33:58 am

No I do,  I was just trying to be sarcastic. 

Atlhogfan1

The column is a little dumb.  Nutt and Petrino had some similar habits to Bielema especially Petrino. 

"but much of his focus was spent on areas such as South Florida, South Louisiana and the Kansas, Mississippi and California junior colleges where the Razorbacks were not as well established."

Nutt and Petrino signed players from those areas and JCs as well. 

Petrino classes from 09 to 12:

09: 2 from Houston area, 1 from DFW

10: 1 from Houston, 3 from DFW including a kicker and bust Big Tex

11: 1 from Houston(Jashaud Sims?), 3 from DFW

12: 0 Houston, 3 DFW

So 3 a year from DFW area and that is reaching out to the outlying areas on a couple. 

Petrino recruited Missouri a little. 

Quite a few transfers during this era. 

If we have had such attrition from those areas Bielema shouldn't have been recruiting, why did we have such few available scholarships this past class?

The column seems to be missing some information in the comparison in order to intentionally mislead. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rhames

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on March 22, 2018, 10:01:12 am
The point being made was that Bielema didn't recruit well to Arkansas.  If you want to argue that he didn't develop them well, didn't utilize them right didn't keep them on campus etc then that is a different argument.  By any objective measure he recruited as well to Arkansas as anyone has. This argument that he didn't "understand" Arkansas or how to recruit here, is a lazy argument and doesn't really look at the reality of why he failed as the coach here.

Awww  sorry I missed the sarcasm

There are people here who suck at basic math so it's hard to tell

Atlhogfan1

It's a narrative now for why we should be so thrilled with Morris (I'm not saying anything in the least here negative about Morris). 
Quote from: rhames on March 22, 2018, 10:03:42 am
Awww  sorry I missed the sarcasm

There are people here who suck at basic math so it's hard to tell

I caught it! :)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on March 22, 2018, 10:01:12 am

He failed because he didn't understand how to recruit for Arkansas and wasn't a good enough coach to overcome that flaw.  An average coach who understands how to recruit Arkansas and who will follow the simple historical guidelines set forth by Broyles and even, Nutt can recruit a Top 25 program in lots of years.  A really good coach like Petrino, can get away from that mold and still do very well.  A bad coach, like Bielem will drive the program into the ground if he ignores those recruiting truths.

rhames

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 22, 2018, 10:07:09 am
It's a narrative now for why we should be so thrilled with Morris (I'm not saying anything in the least here negative about Morris). 
I caught it! :)

To be fair, your post was after he said it was sarcastic. 

And I admit, my wit isn't up to par this morning.

I still stand by, you never know with this place. There are posters here who don't know basic math concepts. Hahaha

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 10:08:18 am
He failed because he didn't understand how to recruit for Arkansas and wasn't a good enough coach to overcome that flaw.  An average coach who understands how to recruit Arkansas and who will follow the simple historical guidelines set forth by Broyles and even, Nutt can recruit a Top 25 program in lots of years.  A really good coach like Petrino, can get away from that mold and still do very well.  A bad coach, like Bielem will drive the program into the ground if he ignores those recruiting truths.

I've said everything Matt Jones said at one time or another here. Criticizing Bret Bielema's preocupation with Florida was not popular here while he was doing it. And he did get some great players. Alex Collins is certainly one, and Jalen Merrick and Randy Ramsey are two who will be key contributors this Fall. Ramsey, in particular, was an athlete who Bielema's staff projected as the player he has and will become. He was not highly recruited like Collins and Merrick, but he had the frame, athleticism and the mindset to become an impact player at OLB or DE.

The question is not so much what any one coach did in any given year with any given player. Big time college football teams are institutions that require long-term planning and nurturing. The criticizm of Bielema has been that he neglected long-established recruiting territories and relationships within Arkansas's recruiting footprint. Petrino did the same to a lesser extent, in my opinion. Phil Fulmer's mistake at Tennessee was his attempt to go national after his NC in 1998. Chad Morris thus far has shown no fear of swinging for the fences outside of Arkansas's footprint, but he appears to be focusing on reconnecting Arkansas to its roots as far as the foundation goes, and I think that's a good thing.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 22, 2018, 10:27:46 am
I’ve said everything Matt Jones said at one time or another here. Criticizing Bret Bielema’s preocupation with Florida was not popular here while he was doing it. And he did get some great players. Alex Collins is certainly one, and Jalen Merrick and Randy Ramsey are two who will be key contributors this Fall. Ramsey, in particular, was an athlete who Bielema’s staff projected as the player he has and will become. He was not highly recruited like Collins and Merrick, but he had the frame, athleticism and the mindset to become an impact player at OLB or DE.

The question is not so much what any one coach did in any given year with any given player. Big time college football teams are institutions that require long-term planning and nurturing. The criticizm of Bielema has been that he neglected long-established recruiting territories and relationships within Arkansas’s recruiting footprint. Petrino did the same to a lesser extent, in my opinion. Phil Fulmer’s mistake at Tennessee was his attempt to go national after his NC in 1998. Chad Morris thus far has shown no fear of swinging for the fences outside of Arkansas’s footprint, but he appears to be focusing on reconnecting Arkansas to its roots as far as the foundation goes, and I think that’s a good thing.

Good post

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:57:19 am

"99% of all putts that are short don't go in the hole."

Lee Trevino

UA1985

Bielema's problem wasn't recruiting. It was coaching, or lack thereof. He is lazy and his teams were lazy.

GoHogzzGo

I agree we should be recruiting within our footprint as there is already plenty of talent there. Arkansas, Tulsa, OKC, DFW, most of Louisiana, half of Mississippi, Memphis, St Louis, and Kansas City. Kids are more likely to go to schools closer to them plain and simple. There are exceptions, especially for national powers, but that is not us anyway.

That being said, Bielema recruited just fine. He wasn't breaking into the top 20 or anything, but just as good as Petrino. Dude just couldn't develop and coach very well.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: rhames on March 22, 2018, 09:33:58 am

I thought they were being sarcastic.
Pittman or Bust!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 10:08:18 am

I am saying that is a lazy narrative.  There is no way specifically to recruit "for Arkansas".  Football is football, you should be recruiting to your needs based on the style of competition you are going to play. If a kid can play football it doesn't matter whether he is from Texas or Missouri or Florida, or Canada or wherever. Bielema recruited exactly what our historical average has been and it is likely that Morris will too or will stay close to it.  It isn't likely that he will bring in a top 5 or even top 10 recruiting class any time in the foreseeable future, whether he recruits Texas kids or Arkansas kids or kids from Maine or Timbuktu. I agree that Bielema did not have a style that was conducive to scheming for an advantage over teams with more talent.  I think that is why he failed.  He recruited well enough to be competitive at Arkansas, but he wasn't able to adapt to the weaknesses that he had.  In other words I think he stubbornly stuck to trying to do things the way he had done them at Wisconsin and that wasn't going to work here. I think what you are trying to say is that a coach like Petrino, or hopefully Morris can adapt and plan a scheme to overcome inherent weaknesses in recruiting when you are a program that recruits in the top 25 playing against mostly teams that recruit in the top 10.   

OkieBack

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 22, 2018, 08:01:52 am
This is the best article I've ever seen on the subject:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/mar/22/hogs-best-teams-have-all-had-one-thing-common/

I like this article reminding us of the names with the cities the players came from. 

But yeah, this article kind of reiterates the emphasis posted here on Hogville about recruiting within 500 miles of Fayetteville or so when CCM was hired.  Gotta keep in-state talent, but you REALLY gotta keep the pipeline flowing from the surrounding metropolitan areas just outside of the State of Arkansas. 

I always felt CBB'a recruiting was hit and miss.  Either that or may be it became less effective each year that passed without the W's to show for it.

247Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 22, 2018, 08:01:52 am
This is the best article I've ever seen on the subject:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/mar/22/hogs-best-teams-have-all-had-one-thing-common/

Good grief, i don't know why you're getting some much heat for trying to share some info. Thanks for posting it and no sarcasm on my end.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

liljo

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

liljo

Quote from: 247Hog on March 22, 2018, 02:05:39 pm
Good grief, i don't know why you're getting some much heat for trying to share some info. Thanks for posting it and no sarcasm on my end.
It never ceases to amaze me, either.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

greenie

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 22, 2018, 10:27:46 am
I've said everything Matt Jones said at one time or another here. Criticizing Bret Bielema's preocupation with Florida was not popular here while he was doing it. And he did get some great players. Alex Collins is certainly one, and Jalen Merrick and Randy Ramsey are two who will be key contributors this Fall. Ramsey, in particular, was an athlete who Bielema's staff projected as the player he has and will become. He was not highly recruited like Collins and Merrick, but he had the frame, athleticism and the mindset to become an impact player at OLB or DE.

The question is not so much what any one coach did in any given year with any given player. Big time college football teams are institutions that require long-term planning and nurturing. The criticizm of Bielema has been that he neglected long-established recruiting territories and relationships within Arkansas's recruiting footprint. Petrino did the same to a lesser extent, in my opinion. Phil Fulmer's mistake at Tennessee was his attempt to go national after his NC in 1998. Chad Morris thus far has shown no fear of swinging for the fences outside of Arkansas's footprint, but he appears to be focusing on reconnecting Arkansas to its roots as far as the foundation goes, and I think that's a good thing.

This is a very good post. 

I'm one who thinks that Bielema worked very hard at what he believed would work.  He wasn't lazy, and he wasn't stupid.  His recruiting plan (and likely his desired offensive style) was just doomed from the beginning.  CCM certainly has a different approach, and all signs appear to be pointing up at this point.  I'm hopeful, but we won't know if his approach will work for some time yet.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgon on March 22, 2018, 09:33:35 am

Please don't talk about Florida bust and then try to compliment Booby in the same post.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: UA1985 on March 22, 2018, 01:17:46 pm
Bielema's problem wasn't recruiting. It was coaching, or lack thereof. He is lazy and his teams were lazy.

Bingo.  He also didn't recruit well enough to build depth or meaningful competition. Combine that with being terribly lazy and what appears to be not very smart with a huge ego that approached recruiting with a large amount of hubris at a school like Arkansas that has backslid in comparison with its historical results then you get a darn sandwich that is tough to swallow.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:22:30 am
It's not a good article.

It's called a professional journalist job. He makes money writing them. I guess you don't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Not defending BB, but that average is 23.75.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

regi

If you can,  find the Stephen Barnett YouTube channel.  He has a ton of old games,  the great teams of the 60's,  70's,  80's and 90's,  were lead by great I state talent.  So like the 1St response,  this article is like reminding everyone that water,  is wet,  again

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on March 22, 2018, 05:11:55 pm
Bingo.  He also didn't recruit well enough to build depth or meaningful competition. Combine that with being terribly lazy and what appears to be not very smart with a huge ego that approached recruiting with a large amount of hubris at a school like Arkansas that has backslid in comparison with its historical results then you get a darn sandwich that is tough to swallow.

Not that you are biased to begin with or anything.

The truth is, Bielema recruited well enough to do far better than he did. Not good enough to challenge for the SEC West, but good enough that we should have won 9 games a couple of times, maybe even 10 games. He lost the team for a variety of reasons and poor coaching decisions accounted for some losses as well. We weren't devoid of talent, it was how that talent was utilized and the frequent changes in schemes and philosophies that prevented a solid foundation from being built, upon which greater success could be built for the future.

Actually, the table is set for a coach like Morris to come in and pull all of the talent together and perhaps have pretty good success while he recruits to his philosophy. Time will tell as to whether Morris is the guy that helped kick-start Clemson's success or whether we have made another error in a coaching hire. I prefer to have a positive attitude until I have been given reason to think otherwise.
Go Hogs Go!

oldfart

i think there is talent here... not a lot of depth in some positions so hope no key injures there. however good bodies on the starters but a bit leery about OL and DL if they come around we have a chance to stay in most games

HogFoo

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 08:57:19 am
Troy Aikmen, now heres a guy that when he throws the ball in the endzone and its caught, its a touchdown! -John madden
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PygmalionEffect2

I liked the article from the standpoint that there is something to be said about recruiting a 3 star that is more than 500 miles from campus, versus a 3 star that is less than 200 miles from campus.

We've always thought of it in terms of in-state recruits doing better than their ranking because they have razorback blood in their veins but recruits just over the border might tend to perform as good or better than advertised as well simply due to logistics and proximity to their home base.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SooieGeneris

It is a pretty standard article, I doubt if it was intended to be "groundbreaking" but when certain posters attack or malign something, one must consider the source..

Anyway, while the piece was not Earth shaking, it is a reminder of what has been successful in the past. I don't see how that can be considered a bad thing by any of our fans, but again, consider the source.

There is no statement in that piece that would make Captain Obvious proud such as some cited above. The point I suppose they are trying to make is what to do when there are not a lot of SEC level players in AR or those nearby areas.

There are a couple of things brought up that I was not aware of, like how long it has been since we have had a Hog football player who played much from FS.

There was a period where many of the black kids were transferring to Southside due to the lack of coaching at Northside. At least, that was the perception.

15-20 years ago, few would have ever thought Greenwood would ever beat a FS school in football, now it happens every time they play.

That and the point about KC were the main takeaways for me. I read in the ADG awhile back about the influx of students from KC at UA.

It stands to reason that if regular students from a place will flock to a particular place, athletes likely would also, provided the facilities and everything else are comparable or better, which they are.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Cinco de Hogo

I was right all along and I'm not going to rehash it a thousand times.  Next up is Morris and we'll see how he does.  By the way you can win big without 85 scholarship players if you recruit the right players and maintain a good balance throughout the team over a 4-5 year period.   

Recognition is key if you want to stay on top of the numbers and sometime that take going the JUCO route to keep from having a shortage one or two years down the road.  I think Petrino was a master at that and it's something very few fans seem to comprehend.  Those that continually harped on his classes and the lose of uncontributing players don't understand recruiting TO Arkansas.  You talk about it but you don't understand it. 

We have never won one single game in our history with 85 great players on the team.   Another thing, I like graduating classes of 9-16, anything bigger or smaller means you didn't do something right.  At 9 your probably gonna have to fill some spots from JUCO, at 16 your gonna have to watch oversigning.  You might have a class like this year and then two years down the road be looking at JUCO to fill spots.  But you've got to recognize your needs and a lazy coach can get caught with his pants down.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 22, 2018, 06:53:22 pm
Not defending BB, but that average is 23.75.

I know, I was being sarcastic.  Bielema had a lot of issues, but he was a good recruiter.  I think it is a lazy argument to say he didn't recruit well or didn't recruit the "right way" for Arkansas

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 247Hog on March 22, 2018, 02:05:39 pm

I think he was getting heat for saying it was the best article he'd ever read on the subject.