Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CMA & Arkansas Future Is Bright

Started by HawgHeadCheese, March 17, 2018, 09:28:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgHeadCheese

I don't think Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter. I actually think he is a good at recruiting for his system. I feel he has done a poor job of player retention however. Whether it be losing some unexpected guys early to the NBA or transfer, or off the court trouble is what has hurt CMA progress at Arkansas. Player development for most of our players that stay 3-4 years is usually good with the exception of a few. I feel confident about the future if and only if we retain these next two classes to be Jrs and seniors.

We might not be able to see it now but our overall roster will be better in the next couple of years. We had 3 great players on this team but they didn't really mesh well. Macon wasn't able to be the spot up and shoot or off the screen scorer which is his greatest strength because  we never had a lead guard. Gafford missed a lot of easy opportunities because our other 2 stars were score first guards. Barford never did add the court vision  part to his game.

Next yr we will be trading Desi Sills for Beard, Isaiah Joe for Macon, Keyshawn Embery for Barford, Phillips for Thomas, Chaney for Cook, and Henderson for Thompson. We just got more athletic, faster, and longer over a yr. Isaiah Joe game is very similar with Macons and considering he will play with at least a person who is a real PG (won't say if he will be good or bad) he can get easier shots. Embery plays very similar too Barford but looks to have better court vision. He won't be as strong but is very crafty around the rim. Sills is quicker, faster, and more athletic than Beard which is always a plus on defense. Phillips will have 4 years to improve and become better than Thomas but he is also quicker, faster, more athletic and versatile. Chaney for Cook is a super upgrade. Henderson for Thompson will take away alot of inside beef but add to the quicker, faster more athletic category.

Add that to a very good looking Darius Hall who I think will end up being one of the better looking Hogs in recent history, Jones who hopefully learns how to dribble the dang ball and give us a little more consistency, Bailey who showed some improvement on his offensive game down the stretch, Harris who can't do anything but help because we needed another ball handler all year, and the trash man Gabe O.

With the blessings of God we get Gafford and Khalil Garland (who Hall mentioned will be back next year in his post game interview but not sure if that's fact) and this although may not be the most superstar heavy squad will be the most overall athletic which doesn't guarantee wins but fits exactly into what makes our team successful defensively which translates into easy offense. This next years hog team will have some growing pains but will be very exciting to watch I think. I know im pumping sunshine but I like to hope for the best. Tell me what your opinion is whether you agree or disagree. #WPS

oldbooniehog

So maybe we make the Sweet Sixteen two or three years from now is what you're saying?

rude1

Coty Clarke - Juco
Dequavious Wagner
JaCorey Williams
Anthlon Bell
Michael Qualls

Moses Kingsley
Bobby Portis

Nick Babb
Trey Thompson
Anton Beard
Jabril Durham - Juco

Jimmy Whitt
Ted Kapita
Lorenzo Jenkins

C.J. Jones
Arlando Cook - Juco
Adrio Bailey
Jaylen Barford - Juco
Daryl Macon - Juco
Brachen Hazen
Dustin Thomas - Transfer

Khalil Garland
Darious Hall
Daniel Gafford
Gabriel Osabuohien

Now what about that list says "good recruiter"? When I look at that list I wonder to myself how in the hell have we won as much as we have.............

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 09:48:08 pm
When I look at that list I wonder to myself how in the hell have we won as much as we have.............

I'm the same.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pinto

Now what about that list says "good recruiter"? When I look at that list I wonder to myself how in the hell have we won as much as we have.............

I've asked myself this question several times which is why I'm pretty optimistic about the future with the group of guys he's bringing in next year. Once they get the system and chemistry down, they will be tough

LumberBacks

I got lost on your second sentence about CMA's "system".  I've been trying to figure that out for a long time, and I can't tell what his system involves other than it looks a lot like street ball.  Assuming Gaff is gone as many think, we will have no beef down low next year.  I like Henderson's game and think he's going to develop into a nice college player, but I'm 5'10" and weigh almost as much as he does at 185 lbs.   If CMA's system - whatever that is - requires low post players that can score in the paint and rebound, he hasn't recruited enough of these.  I can't remember the last solid player Arkansas had at the 4.

woo.pig

That 2015 class... talk about whiff 🤢

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pinto on March 17, 2018, 09:53:46 pm
I've asked myself this question several times which is why I'm pretty optimistic about the future with the group of guys he's bringing in next year. Once they get the system and chemistry down, they will be tough

Prolly 3 years from now on this trajectory.

That's good enough for some, not good enough for others.

Neither is wrong.
This is my non-signature signature.

BassinHawg

Never gonna be any better than what it's been the last 7 years, open your eyes and face it!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

31to6

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 17, 2018, 09:28:08 pm
I don't think Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter. I actually think he is a good at recruiting for his system.
He's not paid to "recruit to his system". He's paid to win games in the big dance. He's paid to try and win a national championship.

Everything else is a distraction.

hogsanity

I don't think Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter. I actually think he is a good at recruiting for his system.

Then his system is not very good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TNhawgfan

Quote from: woo.pig on March 17, 2018, 09:57:03 pm
The 2014 class too. That's two years of duds in a row. So the solution? Get a ton of juco and transfer kids. Yeah, Mike kills it at recruiting
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

labb

Quote from: 31to6 on March 17, 2018, 10:23:35 pm
He's not paid to "recruit to his system". He's paid to win games in the big dance. He's paid to try and win a national championship.

Everything else is a distraction.
Don't think this is correct. He is paid to run a clean program with good student/ath., and put butts in the seats in the Bud. If we win a few games along the way so be it.

TorsinAHog

Quote from: woo.pig on March 17, 2018, 09:57:03 pm

Thought the same thing. Im surprised by all the players he recruited that did work out and ended up other places. Guess this is the new way BB works
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

sadhogfan

I don't think Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter. I actually think he is a good at recruiting for his system. I feel he has done a poor job of player retention however. Whether it be losing some unexpected guys early to the NBA or transfer, or off the court trouble is what has hurt CMA progress at Arkansas. Player development for most of our players that stay 3-4 years is usually good with the exception of a few. I feel confident about the future if and only if we retain these next two classes to be Jrs and seniors.

We might not be able to see it now but our overall roster will be better in the next couple of years. We had 3 great players on this team but they didn't really mesh well. Macon wasn't able to be the spot up and shoot or off the screen scorer which is his greatest strength because  we never had a lead guard. Gafford missed a lot of easy opportunities because our other 2 stars were score first guards. Barford never did add the court vision  part to his game.

Next yr we will be trading Desi Sills for Beard, Isaiah Joe for Macon, Keyshawn Embery for Barford, Phillips for Thomas, Chaney for Cook, and Henderson for Thompson. We just got more athletic, faster, and longer over a yr. Isaiah Joe game is very similar with Macons and considering he will play with at least a person who is a real PG (won't say if he will be good or bad) he can get easier shots. Embery plays very similar too Barford but looks to have better court vision. He won't be as strong but is very crafty around the rim. Sills is quicker, faster, and more athletic than Beard which is always a plus on defense. Phillips will have 4 years to improve and become better than Thomas but he is also quicker, faster, more athletic and versatile. Chaney for Cook is a super upgrade. Henderson for Thompson will take away alot of inside beef but add to the quicker, faster more athletic category.

Add that to a very good looking Darius Hall who I think will end up being one of the better looking Hogs in recent history, Jones who hopefully learns how to dribble the dang ball and give us a little more consistency, Bailey who showed some improvement on his offensive game down the stretch, Harris who can't do anything but help because we needed another ball handler all year, and the trash man Gabe O.

With the blessings of God we get Gafford and Khalil Garland (who Hall mentioned will be back next year in his post game interview but not sure if that's fact) and this although may not be the most superstar heavy squad will be the most overall athletic which doesn't guarantee wins but fits exactly into what makes our team successful defensively which translates into easy offense. This next years hog team will have some growing pains but will be very exciting to watch I think. I know im pumping sunshine but I like to hope for the best. Tell me what your opinion is whether you agree or disagree. #WPS

This is a good, optimistic post. I don't think you are suggesting that Joe and Embery will be improvements over Macon and Barford next season; are you suggesting that they will (could?) eventually develop into better versions of those two players while at Arkansas? If so, that would obviously make this a great class (regardless of what the other players do).

Nickle-Pig

At least we don't have to worry about a coach he will retire here.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

Mr. Porkleone

Clueless post of day. What a joke

HawgHeadCheese

Coty Clarke - Juco- good player
Dequavious Wagner-bust
JaCorey Williams-legal issues
Anthlon Bell-solid career
Michael Qualls-great career

Moses Kingsley-great career
Bobby Portis-great career

Nick Babb-transfer
Trey Thompson-solid contribution
Anton Beard-solid contribution
Jabril Durham - Juco-good sr yrar

Jimmy Whitt-transfer
Ted Kapita-didnt qualify
Lorenzo Jenkins-transfer

C.J. Jones-showing improvement
Arlando Cook - Juco-bust
Adrio Bailey-showing improvement
Jaylen Barford - Juco-good career
Daryl Macon - Juco-good career
Brachen Hazen-transfer
Dustin Thomas - Transfer-off the court issues

Khalil Garland-medical issues
Darious Hall-will be very good
Daniel Gafford-Nba bound
Gabriel Osabuohien-will be solid

It might not have 5 stars but I think besides the few guys that were brought in for bodies the recruiting has been good. The retention has really hurt. And if people don't think we recruited well in the past and we've still been competitive then imagine the steps we take with recruiting picking up.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: LumberBacks on March 17, 2018, 09:54:58 pm
I got lost on your second sentence about CMA's "system".  I've been trying to figure that out for a long time, and I can't tell what his system involves other than it looks a lot like street ball.  Assuming Gaff is gone as many think, we will have no beef down low next year.  I like Henderson's game and think he's going to develop into a nice college player, but I'm 5'10" and weigh almost as much as he does at 185 lbs.   If CMA's system - whatever that is - requires low post players that can score in the paint and rebound, he hasn't recruited enough of these.  I can't remember the last solid player Arkansas had at the 4.
Probably Coty Clarke. I also liked Alandis Harris. We might not be as big in the post but we will become a lot longer at the guard and wings. Also having a few drive drive kick or dish guys could eliminate the issue of not having a back to the basket guy.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 17, 2018, 09:59:44 pm
Prolly 3 years from now on this trajectory.

That's good enough for some, not good enough for others.

Neither is wrong.
I think they can be good next year if Garland is cleared and Gafford comes back. We might be a bubble team but if we get to the tournament anything can happen.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 18, 2018, 07:24:23 am
The 2014 class too. That's two years of duds in a row. So the solution? Get a ton of juco and transfer kids. Yeah, Mike kills it at recruiting
But I said his issue was retention. Which is what hurt us in those 14-15 classes. Those players with the exception of Jenkins were all decent players or better. If we can just keep our guys here for a 3-4 year span we will be ok.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 18, 2018, 07:57:17 am
This is a good, optimistic post. I don't think you are suggesting that Joe and Embery will be improvements over Macon and Barford next season; are you suggesting that they will (could?) eventually develop into better versions of those two players while at Arkansas? If so, that would obviously make this a great class (regardless of what the other players do).
I think they eventually will be better players. They won't have to be improvements next year because scoring will be more balanced through out the roster. All they have to do is provide some of the things Macon and Barford provided in spots. Joe spot up shooters and defend. Embery drive to the basket and defend.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 18, 2018, 08:24:13 am
Clueless post of day. What a joke
How? At least give an opinion instead of criticism.

raz1965

I give a Mike a D on recruiting in his first 5 years at Akansas, now last years class an this next class could end up as a A or A plus class, I think Mike has turned recruiting around an with that success should follow. I have lots of optimism for the Razorbacks program over the  long term now. Players are the biggest key to success, people will ignore that fact an blame the floor coaching ever too often.

rude1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 09:03:12 am
But I said his issue was retention. Which is what hurt us in those 14-15 classes. Those players with the exception of Jenkins were all decent players or better. If we can just keep our guys here for a 3-4 year span we will be ok.
Who have we not retained that went on have a good career at another P5 conference? Whitt was the best player that left and he has been anything but spectacular at SMU. Babb left to become a role player at Iowa St. that never put up any kind of numbers.

Pinto

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 18, 2018, 07:57:17 am

They won't be next season but I'm willing to bet they will have a better career than both

hobhog

He has underachieved since he got here with this year being the worst. He seat should be warm and if he doesn't dance next year he should be fired. New AD should have a short list in his desk.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 09:18:53 am
Who have we not retained that went on have a good career at another P5 conference? Whitt was the best player that left and he has been anything but spectacular at SMU. Babb left to become a role player at Iowa St. that never put up any kind of numbers.
Whitt averages 10 pts, 5 rebs, 3.5 ast, Babb averaged 11 pts, 7 Reb, 7 ast this year role player? Jacorey Williams was the best player on a MTSU team that almost went sweet 16. Please check stats before posting

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hobhog on March 18, 2018, 09:21:12 am
He has underachieved since he got here with this year being the worst. He seat should be warm and if he doesn't dance next year he should be fired. New AD should have a short list in his desk.
In hindsight people will say we underachieved when really there were so many questions going into this season. No Moses, no Dusty, no Manny who will fill those voids? Nobody knew how good Gafford really was. Nobody knew who were going to pick up the scoring voids left by our seniors. Will Garland get cleared? Will Macon and Barford learn how to do anything else besides scoring? This team won 23 games and we never really had any real team chemistry, leadership, and guard depth. Season wise I think we overachieved but I feel we should've won our first round game.

rude1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 09:32:47 am
Whitt averages 10 pts, 5 rebs, 3.5 ast, Babb averaged 11 pts, 7 Reb, 7 ast this year role player? Jacorey Williams was the best player on a MTSU team that almost went sweet 16. Please check stats before posting
Both played on bad basketball teams that didn't sniff any kind of post season play, easier to put up numbers on bad basketball teams, someone has to score. Jacorey went to a mid major like Whitt, yes he was the best player in that mid major conference, which doesn't say a lot. But did you watch Jacorey in the tournament? Had a terrible tournament because the things that worked in that mid major conference didn't work against better opposition.

Pigasaurus

Coty Clarke - Juco
Dequavious Wagner
JaCorey Williams
Anthlon Bell
Michael Qualls

Moses Kingsley
Bobby Portis

Nick Babb
Trey Thompson
Anton Beard
Jabril Durham - Juco

Jimmy Whitt
Ted Kapita
Lorenzo Jenkins

C.J. Jones
Arlando Cook - Juco
Adrio Bailey
Jaylen Barford - Juco
Daryl Macon - Juco
Brachen Hazen
Dustin Thomas - Transfer

Khalil Garland
Darious Hall
Daniel Gafford
Gabriel Osabuohien

Corliss -knew how good he was
Thurman -watched him in h.s. and still didn't realize how good a college player he was going to be.
Stewart -transfer
Beck -transfer

So, willing to give next year's guys a chance.

Play some d boys!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 09:42:56 am
Both played on bad basketball teams that didn't sniff any kind of post season play, easier to put up numbers on bad basketball teams, someone has to score. Jacorey went to a mid major like Whitt, yes he was the best player in that mid major conference, which doesn't say a lot. But did you watch Jacorey in the tournament? Had a terrible tournament because the things that worked in that mid major conference didn't work against better opposition.
SMU isn't a mid major in basketball. You didn't say if there teams were good or not only if they played well and they have. Williams didn't put up the same numbers in the tourney because coaches game planned against him because he was the #1 option. Just like Butler did against us.

rude1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 09:53:12 am
SMU isn't a mid major in basketball. You didn't say if there teams were good or not only if they played well and they have. Williams didn't put up the same numbers in the tourney because coaches game planned against him because he was the #1 option. Just like Butler did against us.
I said played well in a P5 conference. Babb is the only one who ended up in a P5 conference, his numbers are better this year on a bad basketball team, but check what his numbers where when he was playing there on a good basketball team?

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 09:57:59 am
I said played well in a P5 conference. Babb is the only one who ended up in a P5 conference, his numbers are better this year on a bad basketball team, but check what his numbers where when he was playing there on a good basketball team?
This isn't football and SMU isn't a mid major. And you asked who we didn't retain that is productive. I named 3 guys who at the least would have been solid bench options for depth.

PygmalionEffect2

Coty Clarke - Juco
Dequavious Wagner
JaCorey Williams
Anthlon Bell
Michael Qualls

Moses Kingsley
Bobby Portis

Nick Babb
Trey Thompson
Anton Beard
Jabril Durham - Juco

Jimmy Whitt
Ted Kapita
Lorenzo Jenkins

C.J. Jones
Arlando Cook - Juco
Adrio Bailey
Jaylen Barford - Juco
Daryl Macon - Juco
Brachen Hazen
Dustin Thomas - Transfer

Khalil Garland
Darious Hall
Daniel Gafford
Gabriel Osabuohien

What this list confirms for me is that MA is not a very good recruiter and probably is the worst aspect of his coaching ability, at least in a tie for his inability to teach fundamentals.

Look at that list of recruits over multiple years and just think what that list would look like without the recruits who were from Arkansas and pre-sold on being a Razorback by the time they were a teenager.

Scary isn't it?

MA has maybe three decent recruits from outside the state in his seven years of recruiting that made an impact here.  That's around one every two years.

That's horrible.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

steveaustin69

What a sheep

cardsNhogs

Good players in next year's class but NOT 1 great player. I think Isiah Joe has most potential. Next year will be a struggle! Mike Anderson couldn't do anything with Macon, Barford, and Gafford on his roster so I doubt he ever does anything.

Mr. Porkleone

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 18, 2018, 10:06:23 am
This isn't football and SMU isn't a mid major. And you asked who we didn't retain that is productive. I named 3 guys who at the least would have been solid bench options for depth.

Smu is a mid major.

Rome26

Quote from: cardsNhogs on March 18, 2018, 10:19:13 am
Good players in next year's class but NOT 1 great player. I think Isiah Joe has most potential. Next year will be a struggle! Mike Anderson couldn't do anything with Macon, Barford, and Gafford on his roster so I doubt he ever does anything.

Macon and Barford are jump shooters that can't play defense. When the shots aren't falling they don't give us much. Gafford doesn't have an offensive game other than dunks but he does impact the game defensively. None of those guys make their teammates better which is what we needed the most.

Otis

Quote from: Rome26 on March 18, 2018, 11:35:35 am
Macon and Barford are jump shooters that can't play defense. When the shots aren't falling they don't give us much. Gafford doesn't have an offensive game other than dunks but he does impact the game defensively. None of those guys make their teammates better which is what we needed the most.

Macon and Barford can play defense. Put them in a normal, fundamentally sound man to man, and they,d be above average defensively. Trying to play chest to chest with a ball handler 40 feet from the basket would cause even the greatest defenders to be beat off the dribble.

Rome26

Quote from: Otis on March 18, 2018, 11:50:07 am
Macon and Barford can play defense. Put them in a normal, fundamentally sound man to man, and they,d be above average defensively. Trying to play chest to chest with a ball handler 40 feet from the basket would cause even the greatest defenders to be beat off the dribble.

They struggle in man to man defense as well. The only good perimeter defender we have is Hall.

Otis

Quote from: Rome26 on March 18, 2018, 11:58:50 am
They struggle in man to man defense as well. The only good perimeter defender we have is Hall.

They struggle because of the way we play. You put them on Butler, Purdue, almost any team that plays solid sound man to man and they'd be good to excellent on ball non constantly gambling defenders.  The Butler guards weren't as athletic and they were excellent perimeter defenders. Why? Because they are coached and play a sound man to man. We do t.

Danny J

Quote from: Rome26 on March 18, 2018, 11:35:35 am
IMO we have some solid components coming in next year that should be pretty good by year 2 unless a lot of transfers but we need Gafford to come back to have even a chance to be on the bubble. Biggest guy on next year's team if Gafford leaves is 6'8"? We needed a solid PF this year and next year will need a solid center because it's likely Gafford leaves. My money is on a Kouassi type transfer big man. This has a chance to be 2015 all over again.

sickboy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 18, 2018, 07:24:23 am

2014 wasn't a dud class. Three out of four turned into multi-year contributors. Two were starters.

HognotinMemphis

7 seasons, 2 NCAAT games won and 3 lost. Yeah, suddenly in year 9 or 10, Anderson is going to begin winning 12 to 14 games in SEC every year and getting to Sweet 16 or Elite 8 every 3 or 4 years. Riiiight.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pumbaa

Quote from: cardsNhogs on March 18, 2018, 10:19:13 am

Didn't think Qualls was a great player coming in either. I think there will be at the very least 1 great player come out of this group. There was a lot of excitement when we had Reggie Perry with this group. He was only going to be a 1-2 and done type a guy in most people's eyes. We traded Chaney for him and should get him for the full 4. May not be a bad trade in the long run. We knew this team was going to be young. We knew that two years ago when we snagged three jucos. There will be a learning curve but these guys won't be scrubs. They will play on some very good teams before their time on the Hill is over.