Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some quotes about Paul Rhoads

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 17, 2017, 02:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

January 17, 2017, 02:41:11 pm Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:29:34 pm by Biggus Piggus
Some quotes about Paul Rhoads...

From Auburn's news release when it hired Rhoads in 2008:

Rhoads' defenses' at Pitt regularly were among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense in 2007 allowing just 297.7 yards per games. This past season, Rhoads' Pittsburgh defense, held a high-powered West Virginia offense to a season-low nine points. The Panthers were third nationally in pass defense allowing just 167.3 yards per game in 2007.

Under his direction, Pitt's defense has been regularly listed among the nation's leaders in various defensive categories. His track record of success led The Sporting News to name him the Big East's best defensive coordinator in its 2006 college football annual.

With an aggressive philosophy, Rhoads' Pitt defenses scored 10 defensive touchdowns during three seasons from 2004-06, including four in 2006, one shy of the school record.

In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions en route to the Big East title and Fiesta Bowl berth.

During Pitt's victorious Insight Bowl season in 2002, the unit played at its highest level since the late 1980s. The Panthers ranked among the nation's top 25 in seven different categories and allowed their fewest points in a season since 1988 despite playing in a school-record 13 games.

In 2001, the Panthers gave up just 7.4 points and 182.6 yards over a five-game winning streak heading into the Florida Tangerine Bowl. The unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks, its highest sack total since the 1987 season.

As secondary coach, Rhoads had five players taken in the last six NFL drafts, including 2006 Thorpe Award Finalist Darrelle Revis, who was the first secondary player selected.

American Football Monthly in 2007 mentioned Rhoads as one of the leading collegiate practitioners of the zone blitz, which helped Pittsburgh rack up huge interception and sack numbers.

From a Nov. 2007 story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

There are many theories about what has helped Pitt's defense turn things around in recent weeks and, while there are a number of statistics that show how much better the defense has played in its past three games, the key ones seem to be a big increase in sacks and pressures on opposing quarterbacks.

The most popular theory is that the Panthers are blitzing more and playing a more aggressive style of defense.

That might sound good and the numbers seem to support it -- the Panthers have had 10 sacks in the past three games; they had a total of five in consecutive losses to Connecticut, Virginia and Navy -- but Pitt defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads said it is not the case.

In fact, he said in some respects Pitt has blitzed less than it had in some earlier games.

And he is puzzled by popular criticism that his defensive schemes and game plans are passive, and that he does not coach an aggressive style of defense. He believes aggressiveness is critical, but frequent blitzing is not the only way to play aggressive defense.

"I believe in aggressiveness and I have always coached aggressiveness," Rhoads said. "I have never put numbers out there on the table publicly, but I can tell you, if you break down my eight years at Pitt, I can certainly point to a lot higher numbers of games lost that we blitzed more than normal and a lot more games that we won that we blitzed less than normal, but the perception is that wasn't the case. People seem to think we only blitz in wins, but that's not at all accurate.

"And aggressive football and attacking football can be played with a four-man rush because those things are based on how well, as I like to say, your players are going north in attacking an offense. And it really has to do with how fast your team plays, and that comes from how confident they are."

Rhoads said the three main reasons the Panthers have played better defense in the past three games are, in no particular order:

• Field position as a result of the offense not turning the ball over. Quite simply, the Panthers are defending far fewer short fields.

• Confidence and experience. The younger players are getting experience, have begun to taste success and success breeds more confidence.

• Hunger, desire. He said the Panthers have had exceptional practices in the past month, and they are starting to believe in what they are doing.

From a Deseret News story about the Utah-Pitt Fiesta Bowl game in 2004 (Utah won 35-7):

Utah offensive coordinator Dan Mullen takes a more cautious approach. He said Pitt actually matches up better against the Utes than any defense they've faced this year because the Panthers' strength is their simplicity.

"They don't do a ton on defense, but what they do they do very well," Mullen said.

"We see a lot of different defenses that use a lot of different schemes and have guys moving everywhere — Pitt is very sound. They are going to be tough because there are not a lot of weaknesses. They are just going to sit there and keep it in front of them make you execute. They are going to be the toughest defense we've faced."
[CENSORED]!

JackJohnson

Anything in the last 8 years about specific examples in how he has changed to adapt to modern day offenses?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 17, 2017, 02:43:26 pm
Anything in the last 8 years about specific examples in how he has changed to adapt to modern day offenses?

If you mean to suggest that Rhoads has not been a football coach for the past eight years, you are incorrect.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

King Kong

That WV team and Utah team both mentioned in the quotes above are modern offenses.

Rich Rod and Mullen are both fathers of today's spread WR with read options and QB runs

King Kong

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 17, 2017, 02:50:25 pm
http://www.amestrib.com/article/20151002/Sports/310029984

Well it is worth mentioning that there wasn't a lot of sucess that time around

However, clearly Iowa State is limited it what they can put out there. If not the worst program in the Big 12 then without a doubt the second worst

Dwight_K_Shrute

Can Mods modify their own thread titles to spell the DC's name correctly?  Asking for a friend
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 17, 2017, 02:44:26 pm
If you mean to suggest that Rhoads has not been a football coach for the past eight years, you are incorrect.

I'm just interested in how he has changed with the times because there are several different discussions and articles about his defense being brought up and most are from 2008 or older without anything about the hurry up no huddle spread wrinkles that have came about since then

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 17, 2017, 03:10:53 pm
I'm just interested in how he has changed with the times because there are several different discussions and articles about his defense being brought up and most are from 2008 or older without anything about the hurry up no huddle spread wrinkles that have came about since then

Except all the ones from 2015.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 17, 2017, 03:02:29 pm
Can Mods modify their own thread titles to spell the DC's name correctly?  Asking for a friend

[CENSORED] AUTOCORRECT
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Great info here, thanks for sharing Bggus
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bennyl08

Year : ttd,     ypp   td  ypg
2000: 29th , 4.46, 26, 325.7
2001: 8th,   3.98, 29 285.7
2002: 12th, 4.38 27  296.00
2003: 79th, 5.57 40  402.62
2004: 73rd, 5.31 36  395.42
2005: 31st, 4.82 30  338.00
2006: 87th, 5.33 34  363.08
2007: 5th,   4.42 35  297.67

2008: 29th, 4.91 27  317.75 (Auburn, 1 season)

You hear a lot about how some of the various stats ranked high and in select years. Quoting these stats from another post. Sure, these numbers don't tell the whole story. Also, I didn't cherry pick total defense rank to use an agenda, this was just the format that was easy to find. I'd welcome somebody like biggus, muskoghee, or fact checker to go even more in depth. Include things like sacks, tfl's, and int's, break down total into pass and rush defense rankings. Give some background info on personnel losses from year to year and awards/achievements of players from year to year.

However, what this story tells in terms of total defense ranking is one that is very similar to what we had with Robb Smith. 12th one year in total defense only to be bi-polar and fall to 79th the next year. One year at 87th only to jump to 5th the following season. It tells a story of zero consistency as a defense. Doesn't bode well that the first 3 years are the best (the years with other coach's players) with 3 of the last 5 years ranking below 70. However, he was also able to get a defense that was 8 years his up to 5th as well.

That's where hopefully having somebody bring in more information might tell a more complete story. Why 2007 so much better than the past 4 years? Why were those past 4 years so terrible? Why did the defense drop 3 years straight of being top 30 to 4 years straight of being outside the top 30?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2017, 04:13:11 pm
Year : ttd,     ypp   td  ypg
2000: 29th , 4.46, 26, 325.7
2001: 8th,   3.98, 29 285.7
2002: 12th, 4.38 27  296.00
2003: 79th, 5.57 40  402.62
2004: 73rd, 5.31 36  395.42
2005: 31st, 4.82 30  338.00
2006: 87th, 5.33 34  363.08
2007: 5th,   4.42 35  297.67

2008: 29th, 4.91 27  317.75 (Auburn, 1 season)

You hear a lot about how some of the various stats ranked high and in select years. Quoting these stats from another post. Sure, these numbers don't tell the whole story. Also, I didn't cherry pick total defense rank to use an agenda, this was just the format that was easy to find. I'd welcome somebody like biggus, muskoghee, or fact checker to go even more in depth. Include things like sacks, tfl's, and int's, break down total into pass and rush defense rankings. Give some background info on personnel losses from year to year and awards/achievements of players from year to year.

However, what this story tells in terms of total defense ranking is one that is very similar to what we had with Robb Smith. 12th one year in total defense only to be bi-polar and fall to 79th the next year. One year at 87th only to jump to 5th the following season. It tells a story of zero consistency as a defense. Doesn't bode well that the first 3 years are the best (the years with other coach's players) with 3 of the last 5 years ranking below 70. However, he was also able to get a defense that was 8 years his up to 5th as well.

That's where hopefully having somebody bring in more information might tell a more complete story. Why 2007 so much better than the past 4 years? Why were those past 4 years so terrible? Why did the defense drop 3 years straight of being top 30 to 4 years straight of being outside the top 30?
I think the biggest point is that PR is a proven winner as a DC and has a long track record of getting it done on that level.  The same cannot be said for other possibilities for us and I am very happy with this move to a DC that is aggressive.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

bennyl08

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 05:02:37 pm
I think the biggest point is that PR is a proven winner as a DC and has a long track record of getting it done on that level.  The same cannot be said for other possibilities for us and I am very happy with this move to a DC that is aggressive.

How do you define a proven winner? His defenses regressed overall while he was the DC and has just as long of a track record of abysmal defenses as he does good defenses. 3 top 12 defenses, 3 defenses at 73 or worse, and 3 mediocre defenses from 29:31.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Athog

Well he has coached the past 8 years so what are you asking????

King Kong

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2017, 05:45:27 pm
How do you define a proven winner? His defenses regressed overall while he was the DC and has just as long of a track record of abysmal defenses as he does good defenses. 3 top 12 defenses, 3 defenses at 73 or worse, and 3 mediocre defenses from 29:31.

Can you add the points per game for each season?

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on January 17, 2017, 06:03:20 pm
Can you add the points per game for each season?

I could, but that would take more time than I currently have. Included in the stats are the number of td's that the defense allowed. If you can find the ranking and raw stats of ppg allowed each season he was DC, I would genuinely love to see it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

29 to 31st is not mediocre, and we would have been a 9 win team or better with a top 31 defense.  Top 12 is great, top 30 to 35 is good.  50's is average and 70's is bad 100's is god awful.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

factchecker

Scoring Defense ppg
2000: 20.6
2001: 20.4
2002: 17.8
2003: 23.9
2004: 24
2005: 22.1
2006: 22.83
2007: 24.25

Auburn DC
2008: 18
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: factchecker on January 17, 2017, 06:55:39 pm
Scoring Defense ppg

Auburn DC

Well there you have it

bennyl08

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 17, 2017, 06:21:15 pm
29 to 31st is not mediocre, and we would have been a 9 win team or better with a top 31 defense.  Top 12 is great, top 30 to 35 is good.  50's is average and 70's is bad 100's is god awful.

Overall, no doubt. However, if we were to have the 60th ranked recruiting in the country, that would also put us middle of the road in the overall standings, but I would doubt our ability to be a middle of the road SEC team. We would have ben a 9+ win team if our offense ranked 31 instead of outside the top 55. Or, one could also say that we wouldn't have even made a bowl in 2014 if our defense was only 31st. Ifs and buts don't mean a whole lot.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on January 17, 2017, 06:55:39 pm
Scoring Defense ppg

Auburn DC

Thank's factchecker. Informative post. Rhoads' defenses vary wildly from year to year in yards given up, but are incredibly consistent in points per game.

lasthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2017, 09:56:50 pm
Thank's factchecker. Informative post. Rhoads' defenses vary wildly from year to year in yards given up, but are incredibly consistent in points per game.

I believe John Chavis was quoted by an announcer that basically said he didn't care about yardage, just points.

Yeah, I  know yards ==.  Just saying what a well-respected DC's basic philosophy is.

hobhog

I'm excited to see what he can do.

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2017, 09:56:50 pm

On a side note: I was digging through CPR stats at Iowa State.  I was looking at the coaching staff and seeing if there was anyone who might be brought in here.  Guess who was one of Rhoads's first OCs?  Tom Herman.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: lasthog on January 17, 2017, 10:13:40 pm
I believe John Chavis was quoted by an announcer that basically said he didn't care about yardage, just points.

Yeah, I  know yards ==.  Just saying what a well-respected DC's basic philosophy is.

Given the choice to have a defense that gives up points but is stingy on yards vs a defense that gives up yards but not points, games are won/lost by points not yards. That's an easy choice to take. The one caveat to that is if we have a fast-paced offense. Then, I want a defense that focuses on turnovers and such. Giving up a 50 yard pass here and there is going to happen when you jump routes for the interception or some big runs when you lose control going for the tackle for loss. However, that pressure is going to lead to some forced turnovers and mistakes by the offense, especially later in the game when your offense is putting pressure on theirs to keep up in the shootout. Point of the defense there would be to give your offense the ball as quickly as possible. Sure, you'll give up some quick td's, but also get some quick turnovers. However, barring a major change to the team, that's irrelevant. Here, I'll take a defense that gives up some yards b/w the 20's but like KC forces a great Steeler offense to kick 6 fg's over one that gives up points.

Jonteviosk

Moron 29 and 31 are not mediocre learn how to count and what football is actually about.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 17, 2017, 11:45:33 pm
Given the choice to have a defense that gives up points but is stingy on yards vs a defense that gives up yards but not points, games are won/lost by points not yards. That's an easy choice to take. The one caveat to that is if we have a fast-paced offense. Then, I want a defense that focuses on turnovers and such. Giving up a 50 yard pass here and there is going to happen when you jump routes for the interception or some big runs when you lose control going for the tackle for loss. However, that pressure is going to lead to some forced turnovers and mistakes by the offense, especially later in the game when your offense is putting pressure on theirs to keep up in the shootout. Point of the defense there would be to give your offense the ball as quickly as possible. Sure, you'll give up some quick td's, but also get some quick turnovers. However, barring a major change to the team, that's irrelevant. Here, I'll take a defense that gives up some yards b/w the 20's but like KC forces a great Steeler offense to kick 6 fg's over one that gives up points.

Has this guy watched any of our games the last 4 years Since when do we have a fast paced offense?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

bennyl08

Quote from: Jonteviosk on January 18, 2017, 12:16:39 am
Has this guy watched any of our games the last 4 years Since when do we have a fast paced offense?

You're going to need better bait if you want to troll. If you aren't trolling, then you have serious reading issues.

Pork Twain

January 18, 2017, 05:26:57 am #30 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:30:03 am by Pork Twain
Someone who has proven that they can win over a period of time.  I would start by not defining 29:31 as mediocre and then I would ask you to name options with a better proven track record.  I never said he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just think he his an upgrade and one of the best guys we had a realistic chance for.  Are there better guys out there?  Many, but they are all employed and seem to be happy.  Here is a look at Pitt before and after Paul (2000-2008) and compared to Arkansas

tbhogfan

If we had a "mediocre" 29:31 Defense last year, we would have won  2-3 more games. 
Go Hogs!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 18, 2017, 10:47:07 am
If we had a "mediocre" 29:31 Defense last year, we would have won  2-3 more games. 

Ranking around 30th for defense is not mediocre. Good lord.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 18, 2017, 10:47:07 am
Come on, we had #76 (5546 total yards allowed/40 tds) and the mediocre #30 was just a little better (4728 yards allowed/51 tds).  ;)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2017, 11:17:31 am
Come on, we had #76 (5546 total yards allowed) and #31 was just a little better (4728 yards allowed).  ;)

LOL
[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 11:15:18 am

It was a very reasonable assumption to make. 20- 30th in the country for a lot things puts you near the bottom of the barrel in the SEC. I made the assumption that being above average on defense would leave you still being below average in conference play which is true for salary, recruiting, and facilities. Nobody here gave any actual reasoning as to why that does not apply to defensive rankings as well.

So, I did the work myself and 5 SEC teams ranked above that margin and 9 teams below. Though the SEC was pretty down this season.

The arguments that we would have done better with a 30 defense are poorly formed given that we had a terrible defense. Akin to saying that boxed Mac and cheese is better than mediocre because it's a lot better than dirt. It is arguably less than mediocre, though uncountable still an improvement. 30th defense in the SEC, at least this year, would put you above the halfway mark, but you'd still rank 6th out of 14 teams. I guess that would depend on how you define mediocre though. If you split it into thirds, it's the best of the middle class of defenses. If you include it the top grouping, it would be the worst of the better defenses.

Point being, good, mediocre, and bad are all relative.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 18, 2017, 11:48:55 am
It was a very reasonable assumption to make. 20- 30th in the country for a lot things puts you near the bottom of the barrel in the SEC. I made the assumption that being above average on defense would leave you still being below average in conference play which is true for salary, recruiting, and facilities. Nobody here gave any actual reasoning as to why that does not apply to defensive rankings as well.

So, I did the work myself and 5 SEC teams ranked above that margin and 9 teams below. Though the SEC was pretty down this season.

The arguments that we would have done better with a 30 defense are poorly formed given that we had a terrible defense. Akin to saying that boxed Mac and cheese is better than mediocre because it's a lot better than dirt. It is arguably less than mediocre, though uncountable still an improvement. 30th defense in the SEC, at least this year, would put you above the halfway mark, but you'd still rank 6th out of 14 teams. I guess that would depend on how you define mediocre though. If you split it into thirds, it's the best of the middle class of defenses. If you include it the top grouping, it would be the worst of the better defenses.

You are overly fixated on sequential ranking. Concentrate on dispersion not sequential order.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

January 18, 2017, 12:03:27 pm #37 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:41:53 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: bennyl08 on January 18, 2017, 11:48:55 am

Except you can go back to the 90s and see how teams are ranked statistically vs their peers in several different defensive categories.  Completely different than comparing mac and cheese to dirt. Give me a second and I will show you how wrong this is

There were only 5 SEC teams in the top 30 in total defense. 

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Below is what a top 30 defense gets you in the SECW

Youngsta71701

January 18, 2017, 12:38:59 pm #38 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:00:06 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 05:02:37 pm
Time will tell about the last statement in bold. They say Robb Smith was aggressive too before Bielema got a hold to him.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

island hog

Who said that?  Another dig at Beleima ... Par for the course. 

ricepig

It's B I E L E M A, add it to your spelling list!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 11:15:18 am
I'll take 30 over 76 any day.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Looking at defensive points per game allowed for CPR.   Over 8 seasons as DC teams averaged 21.47 points per game against his Pitt and Auburn defense. Comparing his average Defense points allowed per game vs 2016 teams, his average defense of 21.5 ppg would rank 18th in the country this past year. It would rank as 5th in the SEC.  By comparison the Razorbacks were 91st in points allowed per game at 32.8. 
     This calculation may be slightly flawed due to continued implementation of rules that favored offenses over the past 7 yrs.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: island hog on January 18, 2017, 12:43:54 pm
Who said that?  Another dig at Beleima ... Par for the course.
It's been said on this board plenty of times over the course of the past two years. Some people seem to think that Bielema was a big influence on what type of defense Robb Smith ran. They say he ran the kind of defense Coach Bielema wanted him to run. To be honest I don't know what to believe. But I do believe we're about to find out.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 18, 2017, 12:51:36 pm
Looking at defensive points per game allowed for CPR.   Over 8 seasons as DC teams averaged 21.47 points per game against his Pitt and Auburn defense. Comparing his average Defense points allowed per game vs 2016 teams, his average defense of 21.5 ppg would rank 18th in the country this past year. It would rank as 5th in the SEC.  By comparison the Razorbacks were 91st in points allowed per game at 32.8. 
     This calculation may be slightly flawed due to continued implementation of rules that favored offenses over the past 7 yrs.

Arkansas's defense allowed 51 touchdowns, nine field goals, 48 PATs, one 2-point conversion.

That is 383 points, 29.5 ppg.

Ten of those points were in overtime.

Opponents scored three touchdowns on interception and fumble returns.

The official points allowed per game - all in - 404, 31.1 ppg.
[CENSORED]!

Pig in the Pokey

I hope he does great. But comparing his defenses from 12-15 years ago to modern offenses is about as relevant as comparing how he would do vs the wishbone. It doesnt even have any relevancy at all.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2017, 01:19:03 pm
I hope he does great. But comparing his defenses from 12-15 years ago to modern offenses is about as relevant as comparing how he would do vs the wishbone. It doesnt even have any relevancy at all.

That's silly. Read-option and spread passing offenses were popularized in the 1990s. They have been around for a long time. Just because they became commonplace recently doesn't mean anything.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 18, 2017, 01:03:26 pm
Arkansas's defense allowed 51 touchdowns, nine field goals, 48 PATs, one 2-point conversion.

That is 383 points, 29.5 ppg.

Ten of those points were in overtime.

Opponents scored three touchdowns on interception and fumble returns.

The official points allowed per game - all in - 404, 31.1 ppg.
Ragth on the money

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28/p2

DeltaBoy

I expect marked improvement.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 18, 2017, 12:03:27 pm
Except you can go back to the 90s and see how teams are ranked statistically vs their peers in several different defensive categories.  Completely different than comparing mac and cheese to dirt. Give me a second and I will show you how wrong this is

There were only 5 SEC teams in the top 30 in total defense. 

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Below is what a top 30 defense gets you in the SECW

Sounds like you are basically proving me wrong, not showing how wrong I am. Over the past 7 years, a 30th ranked total defense would never put you better than 3rd out of the 7 west teams. Over that 7 year stretch, you'd average 3.14th out of 7 with exactly mediocre being 3.5. As I admitted before, 30th puts you just on the positive side of middle of the pack when comparing to the entire SEC for just 2016. What your data shows is that you'd mostly be 3rd which is not even a full ranking away from the middle.

I think you guys are missing something with mediocre. For example, our recruiting is mediocre and often less than that. We are, however, a very talented team and the NFL agrees. It is just relative to the rest of the SEC, we are middle of the pack. Do I think we have poor talent? No. You are reading negativity into a word where it doesn't exist. Case in point, NFL would have considered Flowers mediocre coming out of college since he was taken in the middle rounds of the draft. A third round pick is still pretty highly valued and are often very good players. They are still in the top 100 players to be drafted. However, they fall into the middle rounds of the draft, and thus, by definition, would be mediocre. People commonly use it to just mean "meh" when really it means of the middle.