Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish hole

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, January 17, 2017, 04:03:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 04:03:20 pm
Sounds like more of a trap or ambush than a dinner invitation. Hate to be that way.  Think I'll just stay home and go eat catfish slathered in the best tartar sauce I've personally ever eaten at the catfish hole tonight rather than show up at a gas station where a bunch of Portia toughs and punks try to beat me up.  Oldest trick in the book. No thank you.

I'm not sure Portia has a gas station anymore........

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 04:04:56 pm
I'm not sure Portia has a gas station anymore........

All NEA, SEA, and SWA catfish places are gas stations or were once gas stations. There's always a fat college drop out in there wearing a hat on his greasy hair with a dirty apron on named Lum or Lem or Jimbo frying up catfish in a giant friar and everyone in town thinks it's the best thing they ever ate.  "Oh I'm going down to the Conoco station tonight and gonna have catfish I guess" is the type thing you hear at the barber shop or down at the Otasco.

Catfish hole in NWA is a beautiful facility. The one in Alma is even nicer.  I won't drive by a catfish hole and not pull in and eat a plate full of those delicious little bottom feeders.

Seems like NEA came up short when it comes to catfish.  Gas station catfish or catfish hole catfish. Can't see Coach taking a bunch of recruits down to Joe's Don's Fillin' station for a meal. Some of you don't see the problem with that.  And that's what's sad to me.

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 04:13:19 pm
All NEA, SEA, and SWA catfish places are gas stations or were once gas stations. There's always a fat college drop out in there wearing a hat on his greasy hair with a dirty apron on named Lum or Lem or Jimbo frying up catfish in a giant friar and everyone in town thinks it's the best thing they ever ate.  "Oh I'm going down to the Conoco station tonight and gonna have catfish I guess" is the type thing you hear at the barber shop or down at the Otasco.

Catfish hole in NWA is a beautiful facility. The one in Alma is even nicer.  I won't drive by a catfish hole and not pull in and eat a plate full of those delicious little bottom feeders.

Seems like NEA came up short when it comes to catfish.  Gas station catfish or catfish hole catfish. Can't see Coach taking a bunch of recruits down to Joe's Don's Fillin' station for a meal. Some of you don't see the problem with that.  And that's what's sad to me.

What a sheltered life you live in Benton County........

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 04:17:43 pm

At least I'm not putting motor oil on my french fries.

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 04:21:58 pm

It's biodegradable.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 04:17:43 pm

Very sad.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 04:21:58 pm

Better watch it, or ricepig will ban you from farmersonly.com.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

grayhawg

Tastebuds vary and my favorite catfish dinner is at the Catfish Hole in Alma.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 17, 2017, 04:50:35 pm
Better watch it, or ricepig will ban you from farmersonly.com.

I'm just going to banish you to living in Memphis.

streitenberger

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 17, 2017, 12:40:55 pm
They're Catfish SUX.!!   You might get some hungry 5* from texASS, Cali or AZ, But you ain't getting no one from Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama with THAT fish...

No self respecting 5* kid from one of the coasts is going to be interested in NWA for anything.

grayhawg

Quote from: streitenberger on January 17, 2017, 06:14:12 pm
No self respecting 5* kid from one of the coasts is going to be interested in NWA for anything.
Good, we strive to keep out riff-raff.

ricepig

True, Ricky didn't last long......

factchecker

Sure as hell ain't flocking to Jonesboro or Little Rock.

NWA has attracted a couple of 5 stars in the past.  How many has university of absolutely last resort (UALR aka diploma mill u) attracted?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

(notOM)Rebel123

January 17, 2017, 06:51:59 pm #63 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:04:24 pm by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 03:17:04 pm
No sir I have not but I have noticed that you have a tendency to be disagreeable bordering on argumentative so I am taking this with my usual grain of salt considering the source, and I say that with all due respect.

And not to be cantankerous but it seems like you NEA guys have mentioned that there are SEVERAL places better and I have one name and I don't know if that's the name of a city or a woman or restaurant or even you trying to wrongly spell the name of a car, so if you could flesh this out a bit for those of us who are unfamiliar with the various gas stations that serve catfish in NEA that are better than Catfish Hole it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In no particular order....

Dairy King-Portia
Don's Steakhouse-Walnut Ridge (same owner as Portia)
Parachute Inn-Walnut Ridge (you dine in an old Southwest Airlines jet)
Fred's-Mammoth Spring
Fred's Fish House-Batesville (different owner than MS)
Jo Jo's Catfish Wharf-Mt. View
Tadpole's-Pleasant Plains
Lackey's-Newport (excellent tamales)
Ron's-Jonesboro

Just to name a few.....none sell gas, by the way.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

AirWarren

Quote from: factchecker on January 17, 2017, 06:41:18 pm
Sure as hell ain't flocking to Jonesboro or Little Rock.

NWA has attracted a couple of 5 stars in the past.  How many has university of absolutely last resort (UALR aka diploma mill u) attracted?

Hang on to 1964.....

Childsplease

Dondie's White river princess or the original Murry's R.I.P

(notOM)Rebel123

SamBuckhart

Catfish Hole could feed me just coleslaw and hushpuppies. I would commit. Catfish could be my side order.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SamBuckhart on January 17, 2017, 07:28:17 pm
Catfish Hole could feed me just coleslaw and hushpuppies. I would commit. Catfish could be my side order.
Wifey usually orders the Cajun Grilled Chicken. It's darned good.

Always take them up on the hushpuppies, slaw, & pickled tomatoes that they offer
When you are close to being finished. Then load up the take-out box for later.

Boardon Hamsay

Not catfish per se there used to be a place down in Little Rock off Cantrell that had the best breakfast west of the Mississippi. Cat-head buttermilk biscuits slathered in honey butter or gravy would land any 5 star recruit. Can't remember the name of the place but we ought to get them to cater breakfast for all recruits.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Childsplease on January 17, 2017, 07:18:21 pm

Anyone recall the Fish house in old Hwy 67 just across the bridge north of Searcy around Kensett?

ricepig

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 17, 2017, 07:41:35 pm
Not catfish per se there used to be a place down in Little Rock off Cantrell that had the best breakfast west of the Mississippi. Cat-head buttermilk biscuits slathered in honey butter or gravy would land any 5 star recruit. Can't remember the name of the place but we ought to get them to cater breakfast for all recruits.

HRV, J'Rabb, and OTR can help you out with the name, and it's on Highway 10.

The OTR

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 17, 2017, 07:41:35 pm

Scores?

Childsplease

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2017, 07:44:55 pm
Anyone recall the Fish house in old Hwy 67 just across the bridge north of Searcy around Kensett?

Georgetown one stop?

Sivad

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2017, 07:44:55 pm
Bubbles Choate's?

26.2Hog

Quote from: Childsplease on January 17, 2017, 08:02:12 pm

Georgetown one stop?

Man, what a great place. It was a mom & pop down home little country store down in the boonies on the White River.  Eat one meal there and you would go slap everyone at the Catfish Hole.

There was no menu, catfish and all the trimmins was all they served.  And if you wanted sugar in the hush puppies, they would take you out back, shoot you, and throw your sorry ass into the river, because that's what you deserved for wanting that disgusting yankee horeschit.

The White River flooded it out one too many times, and they closed a couple of years ago.  One of the saddest days in the catfish history of Arkansas.

(notOM)Rebel123

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: grayhawg on January 17, 2017, 04:55:48 pm
Tastebuds vary and my favorite catfish dinner is at the Catfish Hole in Alma.

Don't order the fried scallops, or you'll lose those tastebuds...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

depressed_fan

we need some strip bars for recruiting where all 4 stars get in free

Cure

Never liked that place for recruiting, but I guess the prices are alright.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

The OTR

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2017, 06:51:59 pm

In no particular order....

Dairy King-Portia
Don's Steakhouse-Walnut Ridge (same owner as Portia)
Parachute Inn-Walnut Ridge (you dine in an old Southwest Airlines jet)
Fred's-Mammoth Spring
Fred's Fish House-Batesville (different owner than MS)
Jo Jo's Catfish Wharf-Mt. View
Tadpole's-Pleasant Plains
Lackey's-Newport (excellent tamales)
Ron's-Jonesboro

Just to name a few.....none sell gas, by the way.

Household names all.

Please...eating in an old plane? Tamales at a catfish joint? Do they also have a good taco salad in lieu of cole slaw?  The Dairy King?  Lackeys?  That one resonates with some of the posters in this thread.

Shrevepork

Back in the day, a George's Top Hat delivered, barely warm, to my Yocum room at 10 PM was Ozark Cordon Bleu. I would have signed to play right then. Even warm, it was the best burger. I still have the menu that I had on the wall. It was 75 cents. 65-66

The OTR

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 18, 2017, 05:16:47 am
Back in the day, a George's Top Hat delivered, barely warm, to my Yocum room at 10 PM was Ozark Cordon Bleu. I would have signed to play right then. Even warm, it was the best burger. I still have the menu that I had on the wall. It was 75 cents. 65-66

Thanks for reminding us of the good old days, old timer.  Some folks in here need to appreciate the past a little more and realize how lucky we are to have some of these old places and quit criticizing the catfish hole for no reason. It's not perfect but it's better than all the other NEA restaurants and the owner there is a big hog fan and employs a lot of players to help them out.  I wonder how many of these NEA restaurants employ any of our players.

I have already decided I'm going to the catfish hole tonight so I guess if anyone wants to debate the eternal verities of the place they can come by tonight and discuss it over a plate of catfish and hush puppies.

Shrevepork

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 05:21:17 am
Thanks for reminding us of the good old days, old timer.  Some folks in here need to appreciate the past a little more and realize how lucky we are to have some of these old places and quit criticizing the catfish hole for no reason. It's not perfect but it's better than all the other NEA restaurants and the owner there is a big hog fan and employs a lot of players to help them out.  I wonder how many of these NEA restaurants employ any of our players.

I have already decided I'm going to the catfish hole tonight so I guess if anyone wants to debate the eternal verities of the place they can come by tonight and discuss it over a plate of catfish and hush puppies.

Congratulations. You are the first to ever call me "old timer". I guess I've crossed over and now there's no going back. You, young whipper-snapper, have ruined my day.

lasthog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 17, 2017, 04:03:20 pm
Sounds like more of a trap or ambush than a dinner invitation. Hate to be that way.  Think I'll just stay home and go eat catfish slathered in the best tartar sauce I've personally ever eaten at the catfish hole tonight rather than show up at a gas station where a bunch of Portia toughs and punks try to beat me up.  Oldest trick in the book. No thank you.

Okay, understand your concern.

Alternatively, would you consider a trip to Nigeria? Dude there is looking for help in bringing a fortune to US.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 17, 2017, 07:54:27 pm
Not sure bout Jackrabb but Harry Rex, OTR, and Pondwater Jack were all unfair victims of overzealous modulating in here.

I have pictures of Landy in compromising positions with Uncle Ugly's prize heifers.  I can say what I want on here without retribution.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Childsplease on January 17, 2017, 07:18:21 pm

This man knows of what he speaks.  Nothing in this world touched the ORIGINAL Murry's.

Capt. Hamm

Quote from: Hog N Bama on January 17, 2017, 07:16:33 am
Yes it is a HUGE benefit.  Best catfish and hush puppies ANYWHERE ;D
The catfish is average at best, but they have great sides and hush puppies.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 05:10:54 am
Household names all.

Please...eating in an old plane? Tamales at a catfish joint? Do they also have a good taco salad in lieu of cole slaw?  The Dairy King?  Lackeys?  That one resonates with some of the posters in this thread.

If you've never been to any of these places, then you don't know what you are talking about.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 05:21:17 am

I wasn't criticizing the CH for any reason. I just responded to the post that said it was the best catfish anywhere. We eat at the Catfish Hole at least twice a month. I really like it, it's just not the best I've ever had. I also posted a list of several restaurants in NEA. All they are better than CH? No, probably not. Some are, some are about the same. But as far as the CH goes...good food, Pat is a very nice guy & a huge supporter of the program, the staff is friendly and yes, Pat does employ several athletes. As far as the NEA restaurants employing players, how much sense does that make? Do you think Alex Collins was going to commute to Newport to work? Don't take things so personally. By the way, I'll be happy to join you for the "Regular Catch" (filets) any day.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 18, 2017, 06:36:00 am
I wasn't criticizing the CH for any reason. I just responded to the post that said it was the best catfish anywhere. We eat at the Catfish Hole at least twice a month. I really like it, it's just not the best I've ever had. Pat is a very nice guy. The staff is friendly and yes, he does employ several athletes. As far as the NEA restaurants employing players, how much sense does that make? Do you think Alex Collins was going to commute to Newport to work? Don't take things so personally. By the way, I'll be happy to join you for the "Regular Catch" (filets) any day.

Has Pat ever been flown to the White House to cook for a State Dinner?  Olden Murry was, early in the Clinton administration.  Probably Bill's best decision while he was President.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 06:43:59 am
Has Pat ever been flown to the White House to cook for a State Dinner?  Olden Murry was, early in the Clinton administration.  Probably Bill's best decision while he was President.

Ha! Yeah, I remember that....not everyone gets that invite, do they?

The OTR

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 18, 2017, 06:36:00 am
I wasn't criticizing the CH for any reason. I just responded to the post that said it was the best catfish anywhere. We eat at the Catfish Hole at least twice a month. I really like it, it's just not the best I've ever had. Pat is a very nice guy. The staff is friendly and yes, he does employ several athletes. As far as the NEA restaurants employing players, how much sense does that make? Do you think Alex Collins was going to commute to Newport to work? Don't take things so personally. By the way, I'll be happy to join you for the "Regular Catch" (filets) any day.

Well I guess it's a date for tonight, then. I'll be the guy with a pork pie hat and patches on the elbows of his tweed jacket.  How can anyone argue with someone with patches on the elbows of his tweed coat?  I look like an intellectual type but I'm really not.

I guess you're right. I hadn't thought about these restaurants and their proximity to the U of A campus when I popped off and for that I apologize.

The OTR

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 18, 2017, 05:29:21 am
Congratulations. You are the first to ever call me "old timer". I guess I've crossed over and now there's no going back. You, young whipper-snapper, have ruined my day.

If you can still remember what a semi-warm hamburger from 50 years ago tasted like then my hat's off to you. I can barely remember what my bowl of Post Toasties I had for supper tasted like last night. 

I think we should encourage more elderly people to post here. Seems like there are too many young hotheads with agendas and axes go grind. In my experience our older posters are more patient and supportive of the team and coaches.  Here's to the good old days, gramps.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 06:46:49 am
Well I guess it's a date for tonight, then. I'll be the guy with a pork pie hat and patches on the elbows of his tweed jacket.  How can anyone argue with someone with patches on the elbows of his tweed coat?  I look like an intellectual type but I'm really not.

I guess you're right. I hadn't thought about these restaurants and their proximity to the U of A campus when I popped off and for that I apologize.

Ha! Sounds good, but I'll have to take a rain check on tonight.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 06:49:18 am
If you can still remember what a semi-warm hamburger from 50 years ago tasted like then my hat's off to you. I can barely remember what my bowl of Post Toasties I had for supper tasted like last night. 

I think we should encourage more elderly people to post here. Seems like there are too many young hotheads with agendas and axes go grind. In my experience our older posters are more patient and supportive of the team and coaches.  Here's to the good old days, gramps.

Just curious...how old is Shrevepork? If he's "gramps"....

The OTR

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 18, 2017, 06:51:47 am
Just curious...how old is Shrevepork? If he's "gramps"....

I'm going to guess Shrevepork is at least 68 years old. I guess it's up to him to divulge his correct age.

And this is just a guess after doing some research on sandwich prices and plugging into an algorithm I created.  I may be off by a year or two...but I doubt it.

FATHAWG08

Good Food for sure. But I would imagine they eat good on all their visits.
I love off season Football!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 17, 2017, 10:42:32 pm
we need some strip bars for recruiting where all 4 stars get in free

To get 4 star recruits the bar needs to have 4 star strippers. The problem is the one in NWA only has 2 star strippers at best.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 06:43:59 am

Probably had compromising pictures......